Pink Floyd vinyl mastering confirmed

SDE has made enquiries about the forthcoming Pink Floyd vinyl reissues with regards to the mastering and whether the vinyl is cut directly from analogue or via digital files…

We can confirm that these vinyl reissues do use brand new remasters from the original analogue tapes, but they are not cut directly from analogue. The vinyl reissues are created from the digital file of the new remaster. This information comes directly from the label, via the PR company.

In other news, all the vinyl reissues which Amazon had listed for July have now been removed from the online retail giant, and while there is no doubt that these are happening, we await further official news with regards to release dates.

39 responses to Pink Floyd vinyl mastering confirmed

1. Simon F says:

Trouble with the art work no doubt!

2. Nuno Bento says:

Do you think we will have a box set at the end of this run of reissues?
    How about mono Piper and Saucerful?

3. Gary says:

Can someone explain how a digital file played via vinyl differs audibly from a digital file played via CD, Bluray or PC, using the same speakers. Also what the benefits are of using vinyl in this context when it seems to be the most irksome of the options in terms of storage, cleaning and changing sides etc.

• cory eling says:

Gary, Assuming the same mastering is used, it comes down to one’s gear pretty much
      The Phono Pre and Cartridge can ‘flavor’ playback
      Thing is with Floyd, there are so many quiet passages, so these pressings are going to demand excellent quality control
      As for why? Finding original quiet UK’s are expensive and a crapshoot

• Gary, the analog tapes have to be converted to digital to become digital and THAT can color the audio. In this case, to make vinyl records the digital copy would then have to be converted BACK to analog and THAT could color the audio further. Whenever they make records “cutting from a digital file” there’s that extra step. However some old analogue tapes are so brittle that the company doesn’t want to use them more than absolutely necessary so they make as good a digital copy as they can and then go from that every time they wish to access the music.

• Asbjørn Andersen says:

The A/D conversion will most likely be done at a high resolution so there should be no degrading of the sound. The vinyl is actually what colors the sound :)

• Paul Wren says:

Vinyl sounds different to CD. A cartridge has unlimited ability to extract all available sound from the groove, subject to cartridge quality which can be upgraded. Ditto CD subject to what electrical gear is inside your CD player – if you own a bog standard CD player, then you will have to buy a very good CD player to stand a chance of the player being able to extract all the information that is on the high resolution digital file that the CD is pressed from. All the information on that file will have made it into the vinyl grooves, hence a good quality cartridge will be able to access it all.
      Quality of turntable and phono stage will also make a big difference.
      Go with whichever option your ears think is best.

• If the digital file is at 192/24 bit resolution, it will sound far superior to a 16 bit/44.1K resolution CD.

If the record is cut from the hi-rez file and properly played back it will sound far superior to the CD.

However, even a record produced from a CD resolution file can sound superior to a CD if the digital to analog decoder in the studio is superior to what you have at home….the odds of that are pretty great that that’s the case.

Of course if you think CDs are “perfect” and that high resolution audio is “snake oil” and that DACs and CD players all sound the same and “perfect”, then there’s not much I can write here to convince you otherwise (other than to sit you down and do some comparisons)….

4. Kyle says:

Did they confirm the resolution of the digital master? 24/192? 24/96? 16/44.1? That info always helps when deciding whether to buy or not.

5. Mauro says:

On TPATGOD, ASOS and More NO flipback cover laminated like original first pressing Columbia end ’60! Only a scanner from the original cover. Audio Stereo remaster 2011.

6. Johnny T. says:

“brand new remasters from the original analogue tapes, but they are not cut directly from analogue. The vinyl reissues are created from the digital file of the new remaster.”

Well that stinks!! I am glad I have a nice rip of the original UK vinyl of “Animals” which will prob sound better than this new vinyl version.

• Paul Wren says:

Not necessarily – the newly released Abbey Road half speed remasters of well known albums have all received rave reviews for sound quality and they are all made the same way. The problem lies with the mastertapes that are now often so fragile that they won’t withstand much more handling and are often considered too precious to ruin forever, hence high quality digital copies being used that will last forever in comparison.

• Steve Benson says:

Does anyone know if this is same as the direct metal mastered Beatles LPs released in late 80s at same time as first CDs came out? I have few of them and they sound Ok but I haven’t original vinyl or recent remasters to compare.

7. Steven Campbell says:

There already is a box set back in 2011 of Piper at the gates of dawn that contained 3 CDs , the 1st is the stereo remaster, the 2nd mono and the 3rd b-sides and rarities, I bought it when it came out on amazon.

8. Ron Fleischer says:

1) These aren’t the 2011 digital remasters as Amazon is listing with some song titles.
    2) These were remastered specifically for vinyl. For playing a standalone file you wouldn’t want to use one that was remastered for an LP.
    3) In the past Guthrie and company have worked with 24/96 transfers.

9. Mike the Fish says:

Miles Showell now from Abbey Road mentioned in an interview that it was not the done thing now to do several runs of valuable old master tapes due to additional wear. Also drop outs and stuff can be repaired and de-essing can be applied to small patches of audio rather than the whole lot at real time. Loads of beloved 80s vinyl had a digital delay in the chain anyway.

• Some beloved vinyl had DDL lines, but not “lots”. It depend upon where it was mastered. The good lacquer cutting houses stuck with preview heads, not DDLs.

Yes, you can “fix” things in the digital domain after you ruin it by digitizing it.

10. Dean T says:

Well to be honest guys I have played my copies through and thay sound great and dead quiet pressings ,More sound the best out of the first three I do not yet have umagumma.

11. LedMan says:

Dean T, Thanks for the review! I do have a question, are your copies U.S. or import? The reason I ask is because I pre ordered 3 of the LPs from AmazonUK and 1 from Amazon.com. I’m curious which sound better if there’s any difference at all? That’s a shame that these reissues are not all analog as I was hoping however I plan to purchase all the reissues.

12. LedMan says:

Almost forgot to mention thanks Paul for inquiring.

13. ccahoon says:

Will there be hi-res downloads (HDtracks, Pono, etc) of these new masters as part of this vinyl release campaign?

14. Dean T says:

Hi ledman
    From what I know the uk/European vinyl is pressed by optimal (this is printed on the sleeve)and the us vinly by Rti .apparently rti have had quality issues over the last few years and a lot of amarican audio files would avoid them given the choice ,optimal on the other hand are pressed in Germany and go from strength to strength .Over the last few years they pressed the Beatles,Led Zeppelin and Queen reissues to great success .The same masters are used but the vinyl pressing would make all the difference .I just played More again and it sounds fantastic ,buy the uk/European vinyl with confidence .realy hope this helps….Dean.

• RTI presses excellent records. From where did you get the information that audiophiles “avoid” RTI? Every pressing plant occasionally has “issues”, Optimal included.

15. Gary says:

My concern would be sibilance..

Endless River suffered really badly, thank god only one track had lyrics because it was so noticeable. I know that it doesn’t relate to my setup specifically as others reported the same issue. Not to mention that disc 1 was so badly warped…and that’s after trying 3 copies.

For those that have the first set of reissues (Piper, More, Umm), have you noticed any issues with sibilance?

Cheers

• David says:

I was very impressed re lack of sibilance on Piper. It’s has very “s” heavy lyrics with tonnes of close-mic work, and even near the end of the sides there was no evidence at all of sibilance. Unlike a recent mono copy of Beatles SPLHCB I purchased, which had serious issues. BTW, I have the US pressing of PATGOD. Both the PATGOD and the SSFOS copies I have are dead quiet with superb clarity and range. Too bad about the scanned back covers for the flip-over format, though.

• Gary says:

Thanks David, that sounds promising. Think I will take the plunge with More first. Looking forward to hearing Meddle when it’s finally released!

16. David Rubin says:

After reading the comments, Im glad I downloaded the torrents from an uploader named PBTHAL. He did rips that are amazing. I may dig them out instead of paying for digital vinyl!
    Seems like a money grab to me. And no flip back sleeves for the early releases seems a bit stingy.

17. Dean T says:

This is no money grab… At this Momment I am comparing a early press (not first press) and the new of saucer on my Oppo pm2 /ha1….with lp12 front end and it blows the old one out of the water.Time and skill has clearly been spent here.Add flip backs and it would have been perfect.

18. Dean T says:

Sorry forgot to say…. David …I’m realy glad your US copies are up to standard .. I have read about problems with the Beatles and Zeppelin reissues some of you folks had.

19. LedMan says:

Dean, thanks for your reply. Yesterday “A Saucer Full Of Secrets” arrived and I’m very impressed with the mastering. The album sounds fat and my copy has no surface noise. This came from Amazon.com and the other 3 are the EU pressings. I’m losing sleep (LOL) anticipating the arrival of them. I agree this is not just a cash grab and that these reasonably priced LPs are receiving excellent reviews in general.

20. Dean T says:

Hi LedMan.. Glad your enjoying your copy of saucer .you will love the others when they arrive .
    I’m realy likening More at the moment ,l only discovered this album when I bought the Oh by the way box set but has become a real fave ,with only cd copy(which is still a great sound)this new vinyl is a sonic revelation and out of this first batch was my first choice.so glad to have it.
    Good to know RTI are back on form,I have a fare number of Hendrix ,Doors ,Zeppelin etc ,
    Pressed by them and there all fine by me,so maybe what i read about are just bad luck.
    Well I’m o ff to search the house now for any spare cash (back of the sofa…under the bed ..etc)
    See if I an buy Ummuguma tomorrow .Dean.

21. It was immediately apparent to me that these PF reissues were cut from digital masters. While James Guthrie and crew did a very excellent job in terms of EQ and preservation of dynamic range, and while these new reissues are far superior to the Capitol Records American issues, which were dreadful, the original UK pressings are far superior overall.

It’s easy to hear the “digital”. Anyone who thinks digital conversion is somehow transparent at 192/24 (not to mention at CD resolution!) doesn’t have a clue.

Cutting from digital when an analog tape exists, is absurd in my opinion. I often hear the excuse “well the tape is fragile…”.

Well now that they’ve got their high resolution 192/24 bit masters that will now be considering THE masters, why not take a chance and try cutting from the tape?

Rhino issued The Doors catalog on vinyl from high resolution files supervised by Jac Holzman and Bruce Botnick.

Though they said the tapes were too fragile to cut from, later, Chad Kassem was able to license the tapes and have the LPs cut from tape… and anyone comparing the Rhino to the Analogue Productions LP box sets will immediately receive an audio education into the superiority of an AAA cut compared to one from digital, even at high resolution….

22. vinyllover says:

excellent post mr fremer.
    thank you.

23. Dean T says:

Well Michael,
    Reading the Stevehoffman site on the floyd reissues would suggest that confidence in RTI is a little lacking right now with so many post from your fellow audiofiles trying to decide whether to buy eu or domestic ,there is clearly a reason for so much debate.I would suggest you read it,it’s good fun but I think you already have.
    I’m sorry if the word avoid upset you …maybe I should have said..look for a more reliable source…
    I myself have a fair few RTI pressings ,in fact at this moment I am playing my rhino doors box set( you put me in the mood for it after your last post) great stuff to my modest ears ,first time on my newish oppo pm2…fantastic…dead quiet vinyl ….lovely .
    I wish you many years of happy listening .
    Dean.

Ps.. Don’t mention off centre labels and dished vinyl…

24. Nass Khan says:

I took the plunge & bought the vinyl reissues.

I do have good condition 1970s vinyl issues but inevitably they have the odd pop & click considering the ambient nature of the Floyd’s music it can be irritating. My turntable/Arm/Cartridge & rest of system is the best I could put together.

I am pleased to tell you that they sound great & although these are sourced from digital they shouldn’t sound thin , sterile or harsh to your ears & will sound fine on a decent system.

I read a lot of Michael Fremer s reviews & respect his opinion but it must be noted his playback system & equipment is ultra high end & it’s his profession to compare various pressings & perhaps hear much more clearly than me ultimate in analog vs digital.