Pixies / Doolittle on 5.1 blu-ray audio

The PixiesDoolittle is to be released next month on the blu-ray audio format and will include a newly remixed 5.1 surround sound version of the 1989 album .

Despite being issued on hi-res SACD in the past this is the Doolittle‘s debut in 5.1. Kevin Vanbergen has created the new surround mix from the original analogue multi-tracks.

pixies-bluray-wallet-inside

This new edition will also feature an HD transfer of the original stereo mix by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab. The album was reissued back in 2014 for its 25th anniversary.

This blu-ray audio of Doolittle is released on 9 December and is on Amazon in the USA and is available to pre-order from the 4AD store. Thanks to SDE readers for pointing out that Love And RocketsSeventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven is also being issued on the format.

Pixies

There Goes My Gun
Hey
Silver
Gouge Away

36 responses to Pixies / Doolittle on 5.1 blu-ray audio

1. Michel D. says:

Love and Rockets’ Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven is also coming in December on blu-ray audio.

2. Will says:

Yes this is more like it… stand alone Blu-ray 5.1 without a massive box set!

3. Jan Burnett says:

ha! Interestingly I had a chat with a friend at Beggars/4AD a couple of years ago. They have 5.1’s of Cocteau Twins albums too. Someone, who has now left, commissioned them, but they. have been sitting on the shelf for years as they didn’t think there was a market for them.

• Brent F. says:

Lossless Cocteau Twins in 5.1 would be amazing!!! Let’s hope they see the light of day sometime. Now if only someone could commission Cure’s ‘Disintegration’ in 5.1…

• Dan says:

I would love this, Cocteau Twins are one of my favourites, it’s a shame they seemed to have stopped reissuing their albums on vinyl as it’s been over a year since the last batch.

• Jan Burnett says:

and it appears there was a miscommunication over a beer regarding the Cocteau Twins 5.1’s. I’ve just had confirmation there are NO 5.1’s but there are remasters. I hear the Pixies 5.1’s are amazing. Looking forward to them.

4. Michael Bird says:

It’s also on Amazon US for just a little more. If you have Prime, local sales tax may offset the shipping savings over 4AD’s site, but you’ll get it in two days (or perhaps release date) over the WEEKS it can take 4AD to ship orders (past experience).

5. Erick Haight says:

$19.99 on Amazon US:

And if any Beggars/4AD folks are reading — please release the Cocteau Twins 5.1 mixes ASAP! We are the market you’ve been waiting for!

6. Francis says:

I prefered the 3Disc Set to this.

7. Brian says:

Two great albums. I never thought I would see them as 5.1!

8. JediJoker says:

Interesting that they’re licensing the MoFi transfer for this; hope the DSD-to-PCM conversion is good. Wonder if it’ll be 88.2/176.4 instead of 96/192?

9. Steve says:

Apparently the Minotaur box set contained “one DVD-Audio disc mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96 containing all five albums; and one Blu-ray disc audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192″ (per Amazon). Thus this new edition is not the first 5.1, correct? If so, is it any different?

10. Paul English says:

I wonder who prepared the Cocteau Twins albums for 5.1?

The CD remasters of all eight albums are the worst I have ever heard.

• Matthew McKinnon says:

The EPs collection wasn’t too bad, but I can’t really discern any difference in the album remasters, except that they are deafeningly loud.

11. Michael Bird says:

As much as I want those Cocteau albums, I wish they’d release the This Mortal Coil blu-ray that they promised when the last box set dropped. As I understand it, it was a dispute with Vaughan Oliver that stopped it, and I can only assume the Cocteau sets might be related. But yes to all of those. The 4AD back catalogue is perfect for high res and surround.

12. Emili Lafarga says:

I have got the Minotaur box and would like to know if the same re/mix was used.Thanks.

• K says:

The minotaur is faux 5.1 using the stereo masters… this is true 5.1 from the multitrack masters.. a remix from the ground up…

13. Charles K says:

Sold!

14. Sam says:

It’s so great to see 5.1 getting its due again without the bloated box set

15. Macka says:

$9.70 for postage to Australia! Jesus, the Neil Young vinyl box was $6….. a bit of a swindle

It’s £5.60 or about $7 US to the UK! As a shopkeeper myself, I know p&p is a challenge but these can be posted ‘large letter’ for about £2.50, so £5.60 is very expensive.

• hamicle says:

US to UK postage rates seem to be a lot higher than the reciprocal.

• hamicle says:

My earlier comment was a little rushed; there’s definitely a mismatch between what Royal Mail charge to post to the US (at worst a CD goes that way as a small parcel, at around £4) and what the USPS charge an individual to send a CD the other way (might be as much as $13?). Discogs is a good gauge of the cost to a small seller, other outlets that send a decent volume of items over may get better deals – for instance a large retailer on Discogs seem to be able to charge a flat $6.99 per LP for international post.

16. Will says:

I was going to order it via Amazon US but total GBP was £27.00… might wait and see if it pops up on the UK site.

17. peter says:

I am super excited about these 2 releases in 5.1 as these are fantastic albums and will sound really good in surround,sure wish I could see a preorder on amazon.ca or amazon.uk(not sure why only amazon.com so far).

Question for Paul Sinclair-any chance you can followup on the Cocteau Twins 5.1’s sitting on the shelf. If really true and if they were done by engineers that understand surround, these could be amazing to listen to, they are one of the bands I have been hoping to hear in surround. By the way Steven Wilson is a fan of Cocteau Twins and said he would like to remix them in surround.

18. bruce garber says:

interesting that universal is restarting the blu ray pure audio program

19. peter says:

Thanks Paul for clarifying about Cocteau Twins as when I posted did not see Jan’s response that there are no 5.1’s.
    Well let’s hope that Cocteau Twins find out about Steven Wilson’s interest in doing their stuff in surround, their stuff would sound amazing in lossless surround.
    Good news is we get these 2 amazing releases as Love and Rockets and Pixies are a couple of my other favorites from 4AD/Beggars and they should sound very cool in deed.

20. Dean says:

Part of me says: Pixies in surround? Really?

Another part of me says: Well, why not?

Yet another part of me says: Yeah, but the last CD release of this album was a splendid 3-disc affair, so two discs are missing here.

21. Billy Dojcak says:

Really looking forward to the Love and Rockets. Hope more of their albums are released in 5.1

22. Steve W says:

The Love And Rockets Blu-ray can also be bought direct from Beggars Arkive (UK – £16.00 and USA)

23. Mat says:

Anybody knows if the Pixies Blu-ray is Region restricted?