Prince: Around the World in a Day vinyl

aroundtheworld_lp

The first of the Prince vinyl reissues in the schedules is 1985’s Around The World in a Day and it is now available to pre-order in the UK and Germany, as well as across the Atlantic.

You will note below that in the UK Amazon have this listed at a very low price (!) which is more or less guaranteed not to be honoured, and we expect this to be updated very soon.

This new vinyl reissue of Around The World In A Day will be issued on 8 July 2016. For more info on Prince vinyl reissues see this post.

Prince

6. “America” 3:42
7. “Pop Life” 3:43
8. “The Ladder”  5:29
9. “Temptation” 8:18

49 responses to Prince: Around the World in a Day vinyl

1. Denis Healy says:

Deal of the day on amazon UK? Bagged it at £1.75. Thanks Paul!

2. Pete C T says:

£1.75! That’s very kind of Amazon.co.uk. I wonder when they will notice? Pre-order price guarantee.

3. Tom Elliot says:

Pre-ordered. No doubt you’re right about them not honouring the price but it’s worth a shot!.

4. Simon F says:

Wow! Now that’s what I call a bargain. I bought this back in 1985 when it was first released. Wonderful album on which Prince and the Revolution really capture a funkapsychedelic sound. It caught out some critics who just wanted Purple Rain 2 and could not cope with anything different. And I well remember spending some quite considerable time removing the plastic (not paper) sticker from the outer cellaphane wrapping. But it was worth the effort and looks great on the album sleeve. Buy it, and whilst you’re at it track down the 12″ import of “America” which has a running time of nearly 22 minutes compared to the albums own 3 and a half minute version.

5. karl says:

I’m surprised how fast the record company is cashing in on his death. At least mourn the man’s death for awhile if you respect him. Good grief.

6. James Dougan says:

That price is for a second hand copy with a bit of wear and tear as it says in the description.

7. Ben Williams says:

£1.75… Worth a preorder at that price but yeah, almost certainly going to be cancelled by Amazon!

8. GRAEME EWAN says:

“bought” for the £1.75, now lets see if its honoured or not.

9. Thierry06 says:

I ordered on Amazon.co.uk at £1.75. Let’s see what will happen next..

10. eric slangen says:

Haha, just ordered but I don’t expect it to be delivered.

11. Auntie Sabrina says:

£17.50 perhaps?

12. Leemer says:

As an FYI – Amazon honored the Bob Marley The Complete Island Recordings metal box edition at $235. That was much much less than the $650 list price for the Complete Island Recordings metal box edition.

13. Daveyman19 says:

Same here ordered for grand sum of £1.75 – pretty sure it won’t be honoured but you never know!

14. tom says:

Are there any infos available on the deal that Prince struck with WB before his death? Maybe it id all legit and was approved by him.

15. tom says:

Are there any infos available on the deal that Prince struck with WB before his death? Maybe it is all legit and was approved by him.

16. Robert says:

Although I still have the original bought back in 1985, this was too good to miss. It’s definitely for the re-press and not a second-hand copy btw, plus the mp3 is already in my amazon music library. Thanks Paul :)

17. Auntie Sabrina says:

There is an interesting article here relating to Prince and copyright law

18. Peter Nicholas says:

Ordered too for £1.75, now to see if Amazon do the decent thing and honour that price.

19. Lee Taylor says:

~$6.57 shipped to the United States. Worth a shot…

20. stephen says:

My understanding of retail law is that once money has changed hands the contract is binding. If they try not to honour the price I’m sure they will be acting illegally.

You’re right, I think, but Amazon won’t be acting illegally by not honouring this because no money changes hands until it’s shipped. If they took money upfront it would be different.

• stephen says:

Thanks Paul, I didn’t know that bit. Fingers crossed they honour the price.

I know we’d love it if they did, but they’ll be losing about £10 per record, so methinks it’s highly unlikely.

• Wolf says:

If we place an order, it is usually considered as an “offer” by us to the retailer to buy the ordered goods. The actual sales contract will be concluded not before delivery. This is the case also at Amazon: “We only accept your offer, and conclude the contract of sale for a product ordered by you, when we dispatch the product to you and send e-mail or post a message on the Message Centre of the website confirming to you that we’ve dispatched the product to you (the “Dispatch Confirmation”).”
            So the retailer could cancel your order before delivery without any consequences.
            If you payed in advance, you would get a refund.

21. Dave Butterfield says:

Price is 14.99. When you pre order now the £1.75 magically becomes 14.99

22. nick says:

£14.99 now

23. probablyrustin says:

While I’d love to grab a copy of this, will need to wait and hear some reviews before committing. It’s so readily available secondhand that unless it’s an amazing pressing, not worth 4-5x the price for a fresh sleeve (IMO).

24. noyoucmon says:

The new Prince vinyl issues are legitimate and arranged with Prince’s knowledge prior to his death. They are not a morbid cash-in. The ones released thus far say “Copyright NPG Records as Licensed to Warner Bros.”

25. noyoucmon says:

(Not to mention that if you know anything about vinyl pressing schedules and how long it takes, there is no way they could have issued anything between his death and now.)

26. Ben Williams says:

I love the fact that, as I write this, this reissue is currently #1 on the Amazon music chart! And I’m sure someone will get rather told off when Amazon have to cancel thousands and thousands of these preorders. Hope they don’t charge the people who have now downloaded their autorip of the album..

27. Paul Nolan says:

14.99 now but still 1.80 in my preorders so hopefully it wont be cancelled

28. James says:

Wonder if this will be released with the gatefold flap, as per the original issues…

29. baward says:

Nah, not for me. I don’t think its one of Princes best and I’d rather buy a record because I like the record rather than because its (possibly) cheap.

30. Stu says:

Regarding the Amazon autorip setup, i’d be wary about actually downloading the digital files – as far as I’m aware as soon as you do so you effectively agree to buy the album and if this is a mis-price (very likely) you may end up having to pay the full price at release date.

I may be wrong, but worth checking their t&cs if you’re planning to use the autorip function.

31. elliott buckingham says:

the price has gone up to £14.99 but my 12 copies at £1.75 are still showing as ordered. I actually emailed amazon advising them on the price possibly being wrong and they said I ha been charged the correct amount of £22 for 12 copies

• Steve says:

So you greedily bought 12 at the reduced price and then tried to ruin it for everyone else by advising them if their error? Nice one

32. Andy J says:

I order at the daft price, and wondered about the autorip.

I’d have thought it’d be actually fairly difficult (legally) for Amazon to charge you *more* for the autorip’d version you’d downloaded, after the contract had been drawn into at the lower price.

I think they charge you whatever the price is for the digital MP3 version if you access the autorip but cancel your physical order. So that means you’d get charged £7.99 without any physical product.

33. Phil Wilson says:

If they cancel the order, I think you could argue that they shouldn’t charge you at all for the autorip, as you agreed to buy it at £1.75 and they have chosen to cancel it. If you buy a CD, take the autorip and then cancel / return the physical item, then you can be charged at autorip price.

Yeah, good point. In general I avoid autorip, until the item ships to allow myself the opportunity to cancel at any time.

34. Andrew says:

Just had an e-mail to say that Amazon are honouring the original price for one copy per customer. Good of them to do that.

35. Patrick Shirley says: