Prince / Purple Rain expanded edition

Here’s a new image of the Prince Purple Rain expanded edition which is due out in just over two weeks.

This looks to be an eight-panel gatefold card package and the image illustrates the four discs (three CDs and a DVD) contained within.

As a reminder, as well as the 2015 Paisley Park remaster of the album, the expanded edition comes with a disc of unreleased material, a CD of B-sides, edits and extended versions and a DVD: Prince And The Revolution, Live at the Carrier Dome,  Syracuse, NY, March 30, 1985.

This is released on 23 June. While the packaging is fairly modest, so is the price. Right now this is less than £21 in the UK (and everywhere else).

Prince

Purple Rain 3CD+DVD expanded edition

Amazon usa 6LP coloured vinyl box 20
FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 21.90

PURPLE RAIN DELUXE – EXPANDED EDITION (3CD+DVD)

Disc One:  Original Album (2015 Paisley Park Remaster)

1. Let’s Go Crazy
  2. Take Me With U
  3. The Beautiful Ones
  4. Computer Blue
  5. Darling Nikki
  6. When Doves Cry
  7. I Would Die 4 U
  8. Baby I’m A Star
  9. Purple Rain

Disc Two:  From The Vault & Previously Unreleased

1. The Dance Electric
  2.  Love And Sex
  3.  Computer Blue (“Hallway Speech” version)
  4.  Electric Intercourse (Studio)
  5.  Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden
  6.  Possessed (1983 version)
  7.  Wonderful Ass
  8.  Velvet Kitty Cat
  9.  Katrina’s Paper Dolls
  10. We Can Fuck
  11. Father’s Song

Disc Three:  Single Edits & B-Sides

1.  When Doves Cry (edit)
  2. 17 Days
  3. Let’s Go Crazy (edit)
  4.  Let’s Go Crazy (Special Dance Mix)
  5.  Erotic City
  6.  Erotic City (“Make Love Not War Erotic City Come Alive”)
  7.  Purple Rain (edit)
  8.  God
  9.  God (Love Theme From Purple Rain)
  10. Another Lonely Christmas
  11. Another Lonely Christmas (extended version)
  12. I Would Die 4 U (edit)
  13. I Would Die 4 U (extended version)
  14. Baby I’m A Star (edit)
  15. Take Me With U (edit)

DVD:  Prince And The Revolution, Live at the Carrier Dome,  Syracuse, NY, March 30, 1985

1. Let’s Go Crazy
  2. Delirious
  3. 1999
  4. Little Red Corvette
  5. Take Me With U
  6.  Do Me, Baby
  7.  Irresistible Bitch
  8.  Possessed
  9.  How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore?
  10. Let’s Pretend We’re Married
  11. International Lover
  12. God
  13. Computer Blue
  14. Darling Nikki
  15. The Beautiful Ones
  16. When Doves Cry
  17. I Would Die 4 U
  18. Baby I’m A Star
  19.  Purple Rain

56 responses to Prince / Purple Rain expanded edition

1. Rory McCann says:

Really not a fan of that packaging, spine bends expected I’d imagine. Was hoping for a bookset, really like that kind of packaging. suppose this is why the price is so low then? Hopefully there’s more Prince reissues on the way soon after this

2. Mark Carroll says:

Hmmmm, just wish the DVD… WAS blu-ray….

3. Henry Watson says:

Cannot wait to get my hands on this!

4. Ben Williams says:

Looks very nice considering how cheap it is.

I’m sure there’s a market for a big lavish box but for me it’s always the content that makes me buy a set. This looks pretty spot on so far!

5. Simon Thornhill says:

Let’s go crazy | I would die 4 u | Purple Rain | When doves cry are all set for reissue on 12″ at the same time. They appear to be direct reissues of the original 12″ singles

6. MüllerMüller says:

……hope 4 a bigger box @ xmas!
    All praise and glory 2 PRINCE

7. Sean says:

Mind you, I’d take this stuff wrapped in a brown bag, but this set has to be up there for best value re-issue…ever.

The price is very low.

8. Auntie Sabrina says:

I don’t like the cardboard packaging, it won’t stand the test of time. Having a lovingly remastered release I fear the discs will be hard to get out of the sleeves and get scratched. I would have gladly paid £25 for better packaging.

9. Andrew R says:

I was hoping there would be one of the Extended Versions of Purple Rain that allegedly exist in The Vault – shame

• Michael Khalsa says:

‘Purple Rain’ was 1st performed at first avenue for the Minnesota Dance company in August 1983. I have this one. It’s longer with an extra verse.

10. John Wede says:

If the Jethro Tull re-issues could be done for less than £20, this could have easily been done as there will be far more product produced and sold. Volume.

11. LeBaron says:

Ordered, can’t wait !!

12. HS says:

As expected, considering the price. I would have happily paid more for more of a box set-type packaging but I am just happy this is finally coming out at all. Hopefully more Prince expanded releases will follow soon.

13. John says:

Thanks for the preview Paul, looks great for the price. Can’t wait for it to land on my doormat.

14. paolo says:

Content-wise it is tempting. A single CD version, only the album, with the latest remaster will be available?

15. MusicFan says:

Only 16 days to go and then… silence… no one will utter a word.

…and then… the noise of Prince fans complaining about what the next release will be and making up fantasy 10 disc editions that will never happen.

The cycle of life!.. of a Prince fan.

16. Eric says:

Hmm, I reckon the odds on an undamaged copy from Amazon will be very low! Might cancel my pre-order and hope HMV pricematch the £21-ish figure.

17. Charlie Waffles says:

Dear Warner Bros.:

I would have paid more for this reissue if you would have made this into a better box set packaging than the pic above. Some of us (fans) have been waiting forever for a remastered version of this great album. Look what Ume did for Sgt. Peppers one month ago. That box set weighs a ton but I have it.

Do the Prince a favor and make great reissues of his music. Some of us want it. Some of us will pay for it.

Charlie Waffles

• Kauwgompie says:

Well, this boxset is $20, the Paul McCartney FITD box with the same amount of discs (3x cd and 1x dvd) is well over $100. I’ll take a bit of a flimsier box for an $80 discount! For one of the alltime best albums with tons of true unreleased music, that’s hard to refuse.

18. Andrew M says:

Dear Warner Bros :

Thank you very much for remembering that it’s about the music and the content and NOT overcharging the fans for what is essentially a coffee table book and a weighty box. Yes there may be a market for that kind of set but what we DON’T like is music being kept back for sets like that. Look what UME did for Sgt. Peppers one month ago – charging us £109.99 if we wanted the 5.1 mix. That box weighs a ton but I still sent it back because ultimately it’s a lot of overpriced tat.

Thank you for doing the Prince a favour and making a great reissue of his music, including way more than many of us thought we would ever hear, for a fantastic price.

Andrew M

Ps. Do another edition in a heavy box with a coffee table book for me old mucker Charlie Waffles will you? He’s a sound chap. Just don’t give him a 5.1 mix in the box or any extra music.

• gwynogue says:

Dear Warner Bros :

Thank you very much for remembering that there are people who love getting crushed spines, discs that are a struggle to remove from packaging, and booklets that squash extensive liner-notes into small, almost illegible text. Ignore the people who say that it’s possible to have fancy, sturdy packaging for a reasonable price.

Ta,
      gwynogue

—Seriously, what is it with people who think that anyone who wants good packaging doesn’t care about the music?

• Andrew M says:

I didn’t mean that and my tongue in cheek post may not have made my meaning clear so sorry.

I love a big deluxe box myself and have more than a few. What I don’t like, however, is artists (I’m looking at YOU Paul McCartney and YOU The Beatles) doing a luxury box and putting one facet of the music only in that box. I really really wanted the downloadable only content in The Flowers in the Dirt box but had no interest in the books. I really wanted the 5.1 mix on Sgt Pepper but had no interest in the book or the demos.

All I’m saying is do a deluxe box for those who want it with the book and stuff in it, but make ALL the music available cheaper for those who want it.

I know it’ll never happen but I can dream.

Personally, I would have thought the ideal price point for the Purple rain deluxe would have been around £45 to £50 in a box like the Out of Time and Pure McCartney releases from last year. That would have been the sweet point for me.

Sometimes, and I know it sounds strange, I actually prefer not to have the large boxes. They are lovely lovely artefacts but they make the discs played less as it is quite an effort to get to them. I actually went through recently and took all my box set discs out of their boxes and in a large CD wallet so I could get at them easier. But then I wondered why I had bothered with the box sets…..

I dunno. Back in the carefree days of no kids, to be honest, I would have thrown hundreds of pounds at a release like this and demanded a luxury book and box set – so I am not being critical of those who want that in any way shape of form.

But this was a really pleasant change where I could go to the missus and say “You know that box set I have been excited about for nearly a year of Purple Rain that I have been rabbiting on about incessantly?” and I could see her visibly stiffen expecting me to try and take another three figure sum out of the household budget……

When I told her it was £20 it was instant permission :)

That was nice.

19. Larry Davis says:

No problem with the packaging here…not unlike the booklike packages of the Lisa Stansfield reissues…the discs will probably slide out the tops of the end pages without scratching…I hope the surfaces are glossy…the price is awesome too…

20. Pete {in Australia} says:

Great NEWS for everyone overseas, Shame then that Locally, the box set sits at $75Aus at their store and two major CD suppliers $79 + $85, chuck in postage on top. From Overseas most of the prices convert to around $35Aus + postage, so why is it that in Australia the box sells for $40Aus more than anywhere overseas. PledgeMusic has it for a good price for Australians, approx $29Aus + postage

21. Teiemka says:

For those scratching their heads on the selection of the unreleased tracks and their non-applicability to the period here’s some insight
    fb.me/3dfuXIZZq

The estate is still a big mess regarding the rights to his music, until that is sorted it will be difficult to have focused expanded releases on the period surrounding each album.

The amount of music is mind boggling considering that the illegal Deliverance EP surfaced about 6 weeks ago with tracks that no Prince diehard was aware of, plus yesterday Steve Parke posted the first Prince handwritten track list of the 3cD Emancipation which included songs that would eventually be delivered on Chaos and Disorder, The Vault Old Friends For Sale plus you guessed it some previously unknown tracks.

Talking about Old Friends For Sale, plenty cashing in, just yesterday a rough sketch for purportedly the album cover of the abandoned Dream Factory can be yours for just $30.

I didn’t agree with everything Prince mused on, but he seemed to have a crystal ball on quite a lot of things.

Back to the subject Purple Rain Expaned, it doesn’t even scratch the surface, but it’s a start .

22. Michael Khalsa says:

Looks nice. Paul I checked out your unboxing St Pepper I thought it was almost too much. Loved the card cases for the discs though with the variations of the cover. I think it is best to just keep it simple. Plastic sleeves for the actual cd’s. Just a small book would be enough. Very much looking forward to this.

23. MusicFan says:

I think they have CD2 wrong on the 2CD version.

CD2 should be the PR remixes and edits and not the vault tracks.

How they currently have it doesn’t make sense!

24. Tom M Hans says:

No download only tracks or K7? Weird.

25. Gert says:

Nice, those beatles and kraftwerk box sets are taking too much space in my house.
    Of course we like good packaging, but content to not always have to look for some spare room,and the price is nice :)

26. Andrew M says:

Can anyone find the new 12″ single releases on amazon? I’m struggling but my amazon searching skills aren’t the greatest.

Paul – if you’re reading affiliate links would be great :)

27. steve edwards says:

The remixing, remastering, boxing, of unreleased tracks of the floor sweepings with a book, of a single album, in a ltd edition (of thousands) has become a totally cynical cash cow for record companies/artists.
    Why?
    Its cheap and therefore VERY profitable.
    Fans are gullible creatures.
    The Prince Estate could have done just that and sold it for $100, or £150 (why always more in the UK?)
    It would have been snapped up.
    They haven’t and should be commended for not squeezing us of yet more ££££/$$$$$
    So whats not to like?

28. Eric M. says:

Has it been confirmed that the single versions and 12″ mixes are also remastered? All articles I see are touting the album portion of this release to be remastered in 2015, but I haven’t seen a specific indicator that the singles are also newly mastered. The old masterings are fine, but I’d like to know whether to mitigate my expectations or not…

29. März says:

Great Box
    Great Music
    Great Price
    Can’t wait

30. Kevin says:

As far as “remasters” go – I’d keep expectations very much in check until we have discs in hand. WB has been dead silent on this release. As far as we know, only the album itself is remastered and, WB is very clear to point out, that this is the “Paisley Park Remaster” (and not the remaster that was done by Bernie Grundman within the last several years). Given that Prince wan’t known for his care in recorded sound fidelity, this gives me pause. As far as bonus tracks are concerned – the three songs out so far seem to be from less than stellar source material. What we are getting, basically, is the single disc album he gave to them back in 2014…which they refused to release at the time, plus tracks that WB had laying around.

31. Thomas H. says:

Great Box Set
    i remember the concert that was broadcasted live by german television during the Rockpalast Night
    with a 18 minutes Version of Purple Rain

32. FunkLord says:

It’s missing the unedited The Beautiful Ones and Darling Nikki. they wasted all that CD space on single edits. At least Computer Blue is all there

• Alex Stassi says:

I said exactly the same thing, they missed a trick there…

However I do believe this is because WB haven’t actually got access to the vault material (only what they already have in possession, which will be already “mixed down” … maybe cheekily the almost perfect versions from the bootlegs that are already out there, hence the Hallway version of Computer Blue)

Once all the legal wranglings are done with who will eventually have to rights to release Vault stuff, will we then maybe get a new deluxe edition of Purple Rain…. maybe in 2024 in time for its 40th.

33. Pastuiven Verkwil says:

“The Deluxe Edition is the baseline Purple Rain reissue of this batch, featuring (as do the other releases) tracks transferred from the Paisley Park stereo masters and remastered in 2015 by Bernie Grundman, the mastering engineer for the original LP. The second disc in this two-disc set includes a treasure trove full of previously unreleased tracks.”

Prince didn’t remaster the album, he just “overseen” the prject (whatever the h*** that means…)

34. Bobby T says:

Just to clarify, Electric Intercourse sounds like it’s from a first generation mixdown.

Our Destiny is EXACTLY the same source as what was part of an online boot called Perfect Unreleased Prince Volume 2 from 2012.

My understanding is that continued Estate wrangling and legal issues means that WB are not allowed to access the vault at Paisley Park. So the unreleased stuff on this release is either coming from what WB have in the own library (as with Electric Intercourse), or is coming from alternate lower generation sources.

As to whether these sources are inferior copies that WB have or even from private collectors is unknown – but it’s a repeat of the whole “Moonbeam Levels” saga, with the version on 4Ever being the same as what was on the Blast From The Past 2.0 bootleg from 3 years ago.

It would be nice to have some transparency from WB about the sources, but I think it’s safe to say that it won’t happen.

• Alex Stassi says:

Its already been confirmed on prince.org that the unreleased stuff isn’t from the vault (as you said WB haven’t got access) and they are from tapes of unreleased material that they do have…. so I’m guessing the Hallway version of Computer Blue is from the Blast from the Past series.
      On a plus note there are 5 tracks in full that we have never heard….

35. Bobby T says:

The org…that place has gone downhill since it became a Militant dictatorship… (pun intended)

• Alex Stassi says:

Just hoping the other unheard tracks are first generation like Electric Intercourse… was a major bummer to hear Moonbeam levels on 4ever sound exactly like the one on Blast from the Past

36. FunkLord says:

I think everything is from the source tapes. Remember those Ampex tapes from the 80’s don’t last forever and I know they encountered audio problems along the way. After 30 years the binding dissolves and backing starts to separate. If they used a bad lot of tape the higher frequencies are going to be diminished

37. Joe says:

Now dropped to £17 on Amazon for the 3 CD 1 DVD.