Propaganda / A Secret Wish ‘art of the album’ reissue plus exciting live news!

CD & vinyl reissues + ‘xPropaganda’ to perform the album live in London!

BMG will continue with their ‘art of the album’ reissue campaign with new CD and vinyl editions of Propaganda‘s 1985 album A Secret Wish.

Remastered from the original tapes ‘for the first time’, the vinyl and CD reissues will replicate the original ZTT vinyl LP / CD track listings. Fans will be aware that these are very different in terms of sequencing and mixes (the CD runs nearly 12 minutes longer than its vinyl counterpart).

Like previous ‘art of the album’ reissues (such as Frankie‘s Welcome To The Pleasuredome) these don’t offer any bonus audio, but what they do offer (apart from the new remastering, which was undertaken by Joel Peters) is new presentation and fresh notes. Ian Peel (who has curated all of the ZTT reissues in the last five or six years) has written new sleeve notes which tell the story of the players, the craft, the impact and the legacy of the album through interviews with band members and producer Stephen Lipson.

The vinyl LP includes a six-page booklet and a 12″ x 12″ art card. The CD comes in a hardcover book (sometimes referred to as a casebound book) and features the notes in a 32-page booklet. Because of the aforementioned audio differences between CD and LP, this is one occasion where there’s an incentive to pick up both formats (assuming you have a turntable!).

A Secret Wish was a critical, if not a commercial success. ZTT did their usual robust job of promotion and multi-formatted singles; All three 45s – Dr. Mabuse, Duel and P-Machinery – were issued as cassette singles with running times from 15 to almost 20 minutes. Duel did do-well to reach number 21 in the charts, prompting the band’s one and only appearance on Top of the Pops!

Propaganda were formed in 1982 in Dusseldorf, West Germany. Initially a trio (Ralf Dörper, Andres Thein and Susanne Freytag), the band were a five-piece by the time they were signed to ZTT (Michael Mertens and Claudia Brücken had joined).

The hot-off-the-press news is that ‘xPropaganda featuring Claudia Brücken and Susanne Freytag’ will perform A Secret Wish in full at The Garage in London on Saturday 24 March 2018. Tickets go on sale next week. The reissues are out on 26 January 2018.

Propaganda

A Secret Wish 2018 vinyl LP

Propaganda

A Secret Wish 2018 CD Edition

A Secret Wish ‘art of the album’ 180g vinyl LP

Side 1
01. Dream Within A Dream
02. The Murder Of Love
03. Jewel/Duel

Side 2
01. P-Machinery
02. Sorry For Laughing
03. Dr. Mabuse (First Life)
04. The Chase
05. The Last Word
06. Strength To Dream
A Secret Wish ‘art of the album’ CD

01. Dream Within A Dream
02. The Murder Of Love
03. Jewel
04. Duel
05. Frozen Faces
06. P-Machinery
07. Sorry For Laughing
08. The Chase
09. Dr. Mabuse

43 responses to Propaganda / A Secret Wish ‘art of the album’ reissue plus exciting live news!

1. Dermot says:

Any idea if ‘Propaganda featuring Claudia Brücken and Susanne Freytag’ means the 4 members or is it just the 2 females?

2. Not sure what this offers over and above Ian’s previous revamp in 2010, which was remastered also, and was pretty much all-encompassing, choc full as it was of bonus material, or the Music on Vinyl reissue in 2011, which was also remastered and included bonus material, and can still be found new at a reasonable £20.

Is it, like WTTPD, simply just repackaging with some new liner notes? If so, will those liner notes be newer than the new ones Ian wrote in 2010? Or will it just be regurgitation of a regurgitation?

I love this band, and I love this album, just like I do Frankie, but isn’t this just flogging a dead horse?

Of course, the news of the gig in March is probably the best bit here and I personally would’ve led with that, with a tiny mention at the bottom… “Oh, and by the way, they’re reissuing the album again if you fancy it” ;-)

I’ll stick with the original vinyl, the deluxe CD and the SACD in 5.1. Now, why don’t they make THAT mix widely available to all instead? Maybe when the hipsters latch on to that old format and declare it hip and cool again ;-)

3. Garry says:

Squealing with delight at this news! Cheers Paul!

One of my favourite albums of all time – and live news too! Yay! Fantastic! Yes, I’ve got this already (3 vinyl copies, 2 CD editions) so unlikely to buy again – but I’m glad to see it back in print.

At some point they really need to bring everything together in one box set. They did it (a very long time ago) for Act and Andrew Poppy and they were really good little sets.

4. Rudi Rasmussen says:

The “Propaganda feat. Claudia and Susanne” is definately without Mertens.
    He writes:
    I am very sorry to be forced to be part of this. For me as an artist it is pathetic and beyong ridicule to see the remains of an industry, namely the music industry, repackage and remarket this over 30 year old recording over and over again. I am not behind this and I apologize to the fans of Propaganda! This is soulless, shallow, unartistic and respectless behavior. To top this, it is garnished with the right out lie, as the above message implies Propaganda as a band would perform the album live in march in London. That is not true. For my part, I can state, that I neither have been contaced about such an endeavor nor do I know, who would assume he or she could authorize such.

Interesting. Where is that quote from, please?

• Paul Callanan says:

Under you FB post

• Neil says:

I just read that below the announcement of this release on your FB page Paul. I wish they would stop rereleasing this as the 2CD from 2010 is all anybody needs. Still annoying that they haven’t bothered to reissue 1234.

• Michael McA says:

A Secret Wish ? – one of the greatest albums of the 80’s.
          1234 ? – absolute drivel.

• Neil says:

That’s just your opinion Michael about 1234 being drivel. I’m sure plenty of people would disagree with that statement.

• mike says:

Completely disagree. 1234 is very different and probably should have gone out under a different name but it is a fantastic album in its’ own right.

• Michael says:

I like both albums, myself, but 1234 is not really a follow-up to A Secret Wish. The whole band had changed, the songs are quite different… but I like it quite a lot in its own right. I guess I like drivel.

5. Thorsten says:

The only reason for me to buy both formats is to support BMG for their fabulous work as a indipendent record company!

6. Alberto Fas says:

Curiously enough, I find that their LP/CD of their “remixes” album, “Wishful Thinking” is more satisfying..now THAT would have been the PERFECT PACKAGE, BOTH OF THEM!!!

• SteveW says:

Completely agree – why is the remix album overlooked for a remaster and reissue?
      Or how about a box of all 12″ remixes as well as the two key albums?

A bit of a lazy effort from the record company, won’t be buying as I have a remaster already on CD and vinyl but nice to see it get a mention and a release.

7. RJS says:

Yep, re-flogging a well and truly dead horse.

8. John says:

The last CD release of “A Secret Wish” was too bright and brash for these ears, so I always return to the 2003 SACD release for a far better sound. If the new remaster can improve on that, with the suggestion that better masters have now become available, then I welcome the new release, as long as compression tool is left off.

9. Omar says:

Mastered from the original tapes for the first time? I thought the 2010 deluxe reissue was too, which was excellent. Heard that Claudia and Suzanne were working on some material together as a duo. Hope we see something in 2018.

10. Pingback:Michael Mertens of Propaganda calls the Secret Wish reissue ‘pathetic’ | superdeluxeedition

11. Graham says:

Saw Propaganda at Hammersmith Palais back in the day (supported by Then Jerico). Quite surprised at their audience. Very enthusiastic plus a big fight in the middle of the gig!

12. Gary says:

Wait. No 5.1 mix? Really?

13. Nate says:

Not too worried about getting another copy of the album, the 2010 issue suits me fine.

As for Claudia and Susanne performing it live, …..my secret wish is for them to come to North America with the show!!

14. Luc Swaenen says:

I Think (not to sure) that xPropaganda is a one off..
    Duel (which have shows booked next summer) should be new, Claudia & Propaganda stuff..

Btw if its (x)something count Derek Forbes in .. (Just joking)

15. Mark says:

“Original Master Tapes for the first time” is a bit dubious… even if it were true it makes it sound like the album is going to be so amazing sounding. Since the album was all digital DDD there wouldn’t be much change except for EQ-ing right? I think the original Mabuse single was analogue recording but it wasn’t labeled on the CD version as such. The original CD mix was different anyways so perhaps it was all digital and just sampled the original analogue tracks.

16. Istillmissthe80s says:

There are six cd editions of ASW in my collection (well, five + SACD,) so I don’t need this, but will probably get it anyway. And while I applaud the idea of an everything-in-one-box as with ACT (with video added,) I don’t think it’s possible. You may have noticed that ZTT seems to “discover” a new Propaganda mix or material every time they do a new 80s/12″ set. In other words, they gin up a new goodie whenever required. Or am I being cynical?

17. Steve W says:

I bought the previous re-release, love it, but I’m honestly not sure that this offers enough to make me bite again. I mean I love a deluxe package as much as anyone else but without extra tracks I’m not sure its worth it.

I’d much rather see the ZTT Insignificance soundtrack finally get a reissue.

18. Jeremy Orbell says:

This release is kinda annoying as I do like the sound of the book and the story behind the recordings as I’m always a sucker for pics of the old tapes. At the same time buying the old album again just puts me off. I want that content but I don’t really want that disc. The original album was incidentally the first CD I ever owned .

What I’d like to see is something is a little more imaginative. They could’ve done a vinyl version of the original CD which Steve Lipson claims should be considered the definitive. You’d probably have to lose Frozen Faces but it would be interesting to play those tracks on the old plastic. That way the CD has a bonus track to give it some justification.

Going further, how about a 10″ double album of the original tracklisting. I suggest this because that would be a far better size for the book. 12″ is too big for something that has only 6 pages while the CD is too small. I would buy this – imagine holding that weighty item in a slimline box – lovely…

• moog_man says:

I like your thinking behind resizing the vinyl package so that the book looks more substantial. 6pgs is a bit meh…

19. Neil says:

I would much rather they did the Seal remasters that they were supposed to be doing 5 years ago.

20. Elizabeth Hirst says:

I only have my paper thin original copy played to death, so the chance to replace it for under fifteen quid is too good to turn down.

21. Paul cooper says:

What has happened to the second onetwo album ?? Love to see the original propaganda line up perform as for the gig what’s the venue and what’s the capacity

22. DaveM says:

I think I will get this. Only ever had the original CD and the Duel 12″ single back in the day so I haven’t bought it multiple times anyways. Reading this has reminded me what a masterpiece the album is.

23. lee says:

A Secret Wish is in my top ten albums of all time and I have the blue marbled vinyl edition so won’t be buying it again but cannot wait for the live shows. Was lucky enough to see Propaganda at the Trevor Horn Prince’s Trust gig and also Claudia and Susanne re-unite at one of Claudia’s solo gigs and that gave a taste of what A Secret Wish live could be like. It’s one of those albums that is beautifully cohesive so will work brilliantly performed in its entirety.
    Personally, I’d have loved a deluxe box set like the Frankie Pleasuredome one but Propaganda were always a bit niche so don’t suppose that’s financially viable.

24. Neil says:

I wonder when they’ll do Grace Jones ‘Slave to the Rhythm’ ‘art of the album’ edition and put all the dialogue back in, B-sides, remixes – everything. Come ZTT, lets get that vault open! My original CD has disc rot.

Yes this ASW reissue is disappointing, it deserves a full 5 disc set treatment with all the versions of Dr Mabuse. A great underrated album of the 80’s non the less. They don’t make them like this anymore.

• DaveM says:

@Neil, as a stop gap you should get the Culture Factory issue. It is the original album with dialogue and sounds great to my ears.

25. Pete Cracknell says:

Re: The live gig at The Garage

I have contacted The Garage in Islington who know nothing about the gig. Does anyone have any info on this?