Pure 80s Remixes / 4CD box

pure80s

Sony will issue Pure… 80s remixes in September a does-what-it-says-on-the-tin four-CD gathering of nostalgic 12-inch versions from that classic era of pop.

Don’t expect fancy packaging from this budget collection, but you do get 47 extended remixes for less than £7 – truly outstanding value.

The details of the actual remixes were rather hard to come by, so we got in touch with Sony who provided the names of the specific mixes for each track (listed below).

Pure… 80s remixes is out on 1 September 2014.

CD 1

• 12 THE STRANGLERS ALWAYS THE SUN [HOT MIX]
  • 13 THE STONE ROSES SHE BANGS THE DRUMS [ELEPHANT REMIX]

44 responses to Pure 80s Remixes / 4CD box

1. Darryl says:

Love it! I’ll be buying.

2. graham says:

Will they do CD 4 seperate?

3. Boaz Halachmi says:

Any thing unique here?

• Dejan says:

Same as any other compilation. 5 gems and the rest can be found on other compilations. Sad to see repetetive collections. Why not do something unique like giving the public more then the 75 same 12″ mixes on and on again. I just got tired of seeing the same crap.

4. Kiki says:

well, isn’t that funny to see the 12” version of “Girls just want to have fun” when it’s not been included in the “anniversary” edition of Cindy’s album ?

5. Dave says:

Great tracklisting. I want this one!

6. Mike Cox says:

Wham’s “Freedom” 12 inch on cd. I’m not sure but this may be the first time on cd? Now if they would release some of the other Wham stuff on cd(“Wake Me Up” Instrumental) that would be great.

7. Will says:

Outrageous value.
    I might buy this just to encourage them to release similar.

8. Reid says:

If the jpg preview is accurate…
    What’s a “Big Audio Dynamic”?

9. Tom says:

I hope they don’t use any ’90s mixes. I wonder which version “Tell It To My Heart” will be? I hope it’s the version from the ’80s and not one of the ’95 mixes.

10. John says:

I’m wondering which version they’ve used for “Don’t Talk To Me About Love” by Altered Images. I want the one that was on the US 12″ release.

• Jason says:

John,

I have a flawless (no pops/clicks whatsoever) vinyl transfer of “Don’t Talk To Me About Love [U.S. 12″ Mix]” in FLAC format, courtesy of Scott Davies (a vinyl transfer/mastering guru) from the New Wave Outpost. It sounds incredible, like it was taken from the original master source. Let me know if you would like a link.

11. Gazelle says:

The Elephant Remix of The Stone Roses’ ‘She Bang The Drums’ does not originate from the 1980’s (I believe it first appeared on ‘The Remixes’ album from 2000). It would have made more sense to have included either the 12″ version of ‘Elephant Stone’ (to keep the Elephant theme) or ‘Fools Gold 9.53′ (to represent the close of the decade).

12. Richard says:

I would love to hear the UK and US 12″ mixes of Altered Images please, Jason. I spotted the link too late on the NWO. That’s assuming it is ok to share?

Please don’t post any links to audio on here – thanks.

• Jason says:

Richard (and anyone else interested in those Altered Images 12″ mixes),

Please see the New Wave Outpost forum section “Obscure 80s Central”. I will bump the post with updated links here shortly.

13. Jens says:

no song of 80’s 12” kings New Order… No Duran Duran, no Peter Gabriel. No Kate Bush. No Kim Wilde. No Depeche Mode. Well, it’s a budget thing.

• John says:

Jens, I had a similar “No Adam Ant” reaction. The song on this set that I’m most interested in owning is the 12″ mix of “Go Wild in the Country.” That’s always been one of my favorite BowWowWow songs, and I don’t recall seeing this version on CD before.

• Jason says:

Indeed. The 12″ mix of “Go Wild in the Country” has never appeared on CD, to the best of my knowledge. Again, thanks to Scott at the New Wave Outpost, I have a flawless vinyl transfer of it now. :) Let’s hope that this release features the actual 12″ and not the album version.

• Jason says:

Too bad that I can’t edit my own post … I got”Go Wild in the Country” mixed up with “Do You Wanna Hold Me”. I have the 12″ of “Do You Want To Hold Me”, not “Go Wild in the Country”.

• Bobbins says:

@Jen – Depeche Mode don’t ‘do’ complilations, never have done. Ditto PSB. We’ve got a long wait for those beauties.

• Pablo says:

I agree that it´s noy usual, but PSB´s Love Comes Quickly Disco Mix was included on a popular 12″ mixes compilation few years ago, I don´t remember the exact name now…

14. Rob Deighton says:

I hope they fix that spelling mistake / typo on the front cover – ‘Big Audio Dynamic’ anyone?

15. Christian says:

@Bobbins
    Please do not get angry with me nor take it personal but Depeche Mode has appeared on 1157 compilations (I have several where they appear) and Pet Shop Boys appear on 871 compilations so indeed they “do” compilations:)

• Mike the Fish says:

Well that totally beats my “but the Pet Shop Boys were on Now 7″ retort.

• Bobbins says:

Not angry at all, I’m happy to be corrected, but I refer to the compilation of the 12″ variety, and specifically UK releases. (I really should be more careful!) I have never seen a DM extended version to that end on a UK released compilation. Further to that, I’ve been told by a compiler of such compilations that DM and a few other artists are notoriously hard to license, especially in the UK.

16. John says:

PSB stands for Paul Shaffer Band. Paul Shaffer doesn’t do compilations.

17. Mike the Fish says:

Okay, tracklisting with times up on amazon in digital music.

Thompson Twins – Hold Me Now, is not the full length 12″.
    Wham – Freedom, appears to be the UK 12″ version.
    Haircut 100 – Favourite Shirts, is still not the original 12″ mix, but the later one that came on a Nick Heyward bonus 12″.
    Altered Images – Don’t Talk To Me About Love is not the full length 12″.
    Boney M – Going Back West, is a strange choice and cuts off suddenly into another track on the Boney M rarities remixes CD.

So at least three tracks are not the original/full length mixes. Same old problems.

• Jason says:

Has the original 12″ of “Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)” been released on CD? I don’t think that I’ve heard it.

• Mike the Fish says:

I’ve no idea! It runs to around 6:31, and plays a different mix of the original track and as the horn part ends a rhythm guitar part starts on top of it, and the track builds up and continues in instrumental form with more focus on percussion, slap back echo on the horns, and horn solo, before settling down a bit, then getting back to the horns as heard near the end of the single version, but it fades instead of getting to a cold finish. Like a funk dub mix for the second half.

Good detective work! Cheers Mike.

18. Mike the Fish says:

Most disappointingly of all is that Big Audio Dynamic has been corrected.

Haha yes, I told Sony about that. Think it may have been fixed anyway but felt compelled to mention it :)

19. Francis says:

Most of these 12inch versions I already have on other CDs, in the form of other 12inch collections or as added bonus tracks to reissued albums, so I will not be purchasing this compilation just to get the odd few I do not have. Good tracks but most of them have appeared on some other CD or another.

20. Francis says:

The usual 12inch versions of which most have already been released on other CDs – YAWN!

21. Simon says:

The version of Never Too Much is one of the 1989 remixes, not the 1981 original. I think I’m quite pleased as the 1981 version is more readily available.

22. Will says:

Now down to £4.99!
    Mine turned up the other day, complete with a 2 quid refund.
    Bargain!

23. Pingback:New 12"/80s compilations | superdeluxeedition

24. fedge says:

Anyone think SPEAR OF DESTINY LIBERATOR [12″ EXTENDED MIX] is from vinyl?