R.E.M. / Automatic For The People / four-disc super deluxe edition

3CD+blu-ray super deluxe • Brand new 5.1 mix in Dolby Atmos

This November, Concord Music’s Craft Records imprint will reissue a 25th anniversary super deluxe edition of R.E.M.‘s 1992 album Automatic For The People.

We knew this was coming (it was mentioned when Craft Records was launched) and the super deluxe edition very much echoes the content of last year‘s Out Of Time super deluxe, if not the presentation.

The first CD features the remastered (‘from the original analogue tapes’) version of the original album, while disc two offers 13 tracks performed live at the band’s Greenpeace benefit concert at Athens, Georgia’s 40 Watt Club. This performance was about five weeks after the original album release and features four tracks from Automatic For The People.

Twenty demo recordings fill up the third CD and many of them have placeholder titles such as ‘Peter’s New Song’ and ‘Bill’s Acoustic’, although where applicable, the titles of the songs they became are indicated! There are also a couple of previously unreleased tracks, ‘Mike’s Pop Song’ and ‘Devil Rides Backwards’. As with Out Of Time, expect a fair few instrumentals.

The fourth disc is a blu-ray which features a ‘Dolby Atmos’ surround sound mix of the album (plus bonus track ‘Photograph’ featuring Natalie Merchant).

This is a brand new 5.1 mix by original producer Scott Litt and engineer Clif Norrell, and indeed is the first studio album to be commercially released in this format. Dolby Atmos is basically the latest top-end 5.1 system, which with the right hardware, should deliver something outstanding, although the “Dolby Atmos mix also provides an enhanced sound experience on any surround sound setup”. In other words, even if you don’t have a Dolby Atmos compatible theatre amplifier, it should still sound great. The key takeaway from this is that you shouldn’t bin your DVD-A from 2005, because that well-regarded 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner is now unique.

The blu-ray on this super deluxe also contains videos for the singles (including two versions of Nightswimming) and the EPK (Electronic Press Release) issued at the time. Incidentally, this disc also includes a hi-res stereo version of the album.

Craft Recordings have gone for a bigger, square-shaped book this time around and haven’t replicated the same packaging as used for the Out Of Time super deluxe. You will see from the image above that the cover features a variation of the 1992 album artwork (only the vinyl reissue maintains the original) and the 60-page book will feature photos (some unreleased) taken at various sessions by Anton Corbijn and Melodie McDaniel in 1992 and 1993, along with expanded liner notes by Tom Doyle who conducted new interviews with all four band members. The book sits in a 12” x 12” box.

Two-CD deluxe edition is in the same box as last year’s Out Of Time set

A two-CD deluxe pairs the remastered album with the live CD and surprisingly, it’s not looking like a multi-disc deluxe vinyl is an option this time around, with just a single LP remaster (with download code) announced. The two-CD set is packaged like the Out Of Time double-disc package, with a pleasingly flashy lift-off lid box package with poster and booklet.

Automatic For The People is reissued on 10 November 2017. Amazon UK have now finally got a listing up for the box set, although it’s not cheaper than the Italian pre-order price of around £65 (€75) which is looking quite attractive at the moment. The Canadian price is the outright cheapest.

R.E.M.

Automatic For The People 4-disc super deluxe edition

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 78.99

R.E.M.

Automatic For The People 2CD deluxe edition

Amazon fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 17
FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 22.99

R.E.M.

Automatic For The People vinyl LP

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 21.99

R.E.M. Automatic For The People 25th anniversary reissue - 4-disc super deluxe edition

Automatic For The People / 4-disc super deluxe

CD1 – Automatic For The People (2017 remaster)

1. Drive
2. Try Not To Breathe
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
4. Everybody Hurts
5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1
6. Sweetness Follows
7. Monty Got A Raw Deal
8. Ignoreland
9. Star Me Kitten
10. Man On The Moon
11. Nightswimming
12. Find The River

CD2

1. Drive (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
2. Monty Got A Raw Deal (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
3. Everybody Hurts (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
4. Man On The Moon (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
5. Losing My Religion (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
6. Country Feedback (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
7. Begin The Begin (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
8. Fall On Me (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
9. Me In Honey (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
10. Finest Worksong (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
11. Love Is All Around (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
12. Funtime (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
13. Radio Free Europe (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)

CD 3

1. Drive (Demo)
2. Wake Her Up (Demo) (The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite)
3. Mike’s Pop Song (Demo)
4. C To D Slide 13 (Demo) (Man On The Moon)
5. Cello Scud (Demo) (Sweetness Follows)
6. 10K Minimal (Demo) (Find The River)
7. Peter’s New Song (Demo)
8. Eastern 93111 (Demo)
9. Bill’s Acoustic (Demo)
10. Arabic Feedback (Demo) (Fruity Organ)
11. Howler Monkey (Demo) (Ignoreland)
12. Pakiderm (Demo)
13. Afterthought (Demo)
14. Bazouki Song (Demo) (Monty Got A Raw Deal)
15. Photograph (Demo)
16. Michael’s Organ (Demo) (Everybody Hurts)
17. Pete’s Acoustic Idea (Demo)
18. 6-8 Passion & Voc (Demo) (Try Not To Breathe)
19 . Hey Love (Mike Voc / Demo) (Star Me Kitten)
20. Devil Rides Backwards (Demo) (Big Talk)

[Blu-ray]
1. Drive (Dolby Atmos Mix)
2. Try Not To Breathe (Dolby Atmos Mix)
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite (Dolby Atmos Mix)
4. Everybody Hurts (Dolby Atmos Mix)
5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 (Dolby Atmos Mix)
6. Sweetness Follows (Dolby Atmos Mix)
7. Monty Got A Raw Deal (Dolby Atmos Mix)
8. Ignoreland (Dolby Atmos Mix)
9. Star Me Kitten (Dolby Atmos Mix)
10. Man On The Moon (Dolby Atmos Mix)
11. Nightswimming (Dolby Atmos Mix)
12. Find The River (Dolby Atmos Mix)
13. Photograph (Dolby Atmos Mix)
14. Drive (hi-res stereo)
15. Try Not To Breathe (hi-res stereo)
16. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite (hi-res stereo)
17. Everybody Hurts (hi-res stereo)
18. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 (hi-res stereo)
19. Sweetness Follows (hi-res stereo)
20. Monty Got A Raw Deal (hi-res stereo)
21. Ignoreland (hi-res stereo)
22. Star Me Kitten (hi-res stereo)
23. Man On The Moon (hi-res stereo)
24. Nightswimming (hi-res stereo)
25. Find The River (hi-res stereo)
26. Photograph (hi-res stereo)

Videos
27. Drive
28. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
29. Everybody Hurts
30. Man On The Moon
31. Nightswimming (British Version)
32. Find The River
33. Nightswimming (R Version)
34. Automatic For The People Press Kit

Automatic For The People / 2CD deluxe edition

CD1 – Automatic For The People (2017 remaster)

1. Drive
2. Try Not To Breathe
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
4. Everybody Hurts
5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1
6. Sweetness Follows
7. Monty Got A Raw Deal
8. Ignoreland
9. Star Me Kitten
10. Man On The Moon
11. Nightswimming
12. Find The River

CD2

1. Drive (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
2. Monty Got A Raw Deal (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
3. Everybody Hurts (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
4. Man On The Moon (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
5. Losing My Religion (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
6. Country Feedback (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
7. Begin The Begin (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
8. Fall On Me (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
9. Me In Honey (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
10. Finest Worksong (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
11. Love Is All Around (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
12. Funtime (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
13. Radio Free Europe (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)

R.E.M. Automatic For The People 25th anniversary reissue - vinyl LP

Automatic For The People / 2017 remaster

1. Drive
2. Try Not To Breathe
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
4. Everybody Hurts
5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1
6. Sweetness Follows
7. Monty Got A Raw Deal
8. Ignoreland
9. Star Me Kitten
10. Man On The Moon
11. Nightswimming
12. Find The River

126 responses to R.E.M. / Automatic For The People / four-disc super deluxe edition

1. Matthew Langhorn says:

I know what I’m getting for Christmas

2. Peter says:

Best album of the nineties for sure.looks like a good package

3. Neil says:

The live disc is also available as the Automatically Live bootleg I believe.

Surprised at the lack of big vinyl box on this.

• Paul Nolan says:

Yes me too, I wouldnt be surprised if they were holding off on the demos as a seperate vinyl release for Record Store Day 2018

4. Steve says:

My favorite album from my favorite band. Happy Chanukah to me!

5. Frederic says:

Come on Amazon.co.uk. Give us a nice price! :-)

6. baward says:

I wonder if there are plans afoot to ‘do an a-ha’ and reform? I kind-of hope not although it would be nice. I still remember seeing them at the old Marquee Club in 1984, around the time that ‘Murmur’ hit.

7. Graham says:

I am sure this is a lot more expensive than ‘Out of Time’. Perhaps this is because of the different format but I was OK with the first one. Will wait until the price drops.

8. Tim-meh says:

The live set was split across the Monster singles as b sides with the exception of Love Is All Around but ottherwise its a fine looking set.

9. Mark says:

The live songs were all included as b sides for the monster CD singles (except ‘love is all around’)

10. eric says:

“Drive” was played twice at the concert. Why is the second one (before “Love Is All Around”) omitted in this release?

11. Dan says:

Shit, shit and thrice shit. I don’t want the 4 disc super deluxe edition and I’m not interested in the live disc. I want the original CD remastered and the demo disc. They’re obviously not going to cater for the likes of me. Anybody else feel the same as me?

• Craig says:

As much as it seems like the wrong choice for the 2CD set, at least the demos will be on the usual streaming services so I can live without having them on CD.

• Rickjapan says:

Yes, I’m on board with you.

It doesn’t take rocket science to work out that a lot of minor fans would prefer unreleased demos to live versions of songs on the 2cd set. So, if I were a minor fan, I probably wouldn’t be shelling out for this.

• Jakob says:

This is my feeling about a lot of these sets. I look at the multi-disc sets, am interested in about half of it, but not all the live material, then see the 2-CD versions almost ALWAYS use the live material for disc 2 instead of the far more interesting studio out-takes, b-sides and demos. To drive people towards the larger box? Whatever the reasoning, I end up buying neither.

• Nicholas Love says:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Generally the live performances are perfectly fine for a handful of listens on these type of sets, but realistically if the band professionally recorded the performance at the time and deemed it not worthy of release, it’s not going to be the kind of seminal live record that demands repeated listens. I see the live tracks as mildly interesting filler, while the album proper and corresponding studio tracks are the real “meat” of the set. I could have saved a ton of money had it not become industry standard in the last few years to withhold the real goodies for the big set and toss the subpar live disc on the 2 disc version.

• lolsugar says:

I’m inclined to agree. Most of the other REM re-issues have included the demos and they are always of much more interest than a live recording. It’s a shame that this one has been configured this way. The extra disc with the 2CD Out Of Time is excellent and I’m sure the demo disc with Automatic would be good too. I really don’t want to pay top dollar for the 4disc version. Wish REM would be a bit more consistent. Still the greatest band of the 80s & 90s though (alongside Crowded House).

12. Daran says:

This is how SDE’s should be done. Pretty thorough, new unheard stuff, hi-res and well presented with book video etc. Well done to the production team on this one.

13. CraigH says:

I’ll do the same as I did with OOT – buy the 2 disc upfront as it’ll match most of the previous reissues on the cd shelves. Then I’ll get the 4 disc version when the price drops and then stash the 3rd and 4th discs in the lift off box – with the massive box stored away somewhere probably never to be seen again!

14. Chris Lancaster says:

Great stuff, and can’t really argue with the content. However it’s rather frustrating that the book will be a different size to the Out of Time release — it will cause endless annoyance when I look at them together on my shelves. Although at least it’s purposefully a completely different size, so it won’t annoy me as much as the Simple Minds deluxe box sets. These are all fractionally different sizes (Once Upon A Time is slightly smaller than Sparkle in The Rain, which is slightly smaller than New Gold Dream). Aarrgghh!! I can’t bear to look at them, so they’re shut away in a cupboard.

• Joe says:

I know exactly what you mean….avoided the OUAT for that very reason. Although my NGD and SITR appear to be the same size?????

• David M says:

Blimey there are bombs going off in London, we could be heading towards nuclear warfare and people worry about one box being slightly bigger than another! The content is (generally) fine, no need to worry about trivialities.

• Klaus says:

@David M

Believe me, most of us are fully aware of these things, but don’t you think that this is not the right place to discuss them?

• David M says:

Yes, of course. But the extreme worrying over box sizes shouldn’t be such a big thing. I do wonder how much gazing lovingly at shelves goes on rather than listening to music. Weird.

• Klaus says:

I think that one can be esthetically embarrased about the impression of the box sets on ones shelf that should fit together but don’t (though i hope, too, that Chris was a bit exaggerating) and be fully aware of this worlds troubles at the same time. We Germans call that “Realitätsflucht” which, roughly translated into English means “Escape from reality” which, if not overdosed, can be a good and healthy thing. So let’s discuss the real problems of this world elsewhere.

15. Todd says:

The 40 Watt Club gig was released on Monster b-sides; the only difference being the first version of Drive on the upcoming release and the second version on the Monster singles.

I’m not one to complain, because I’m a huge supporter of expanded reissues. However, the price of $90 in the US is absurd – although I immediately pre-ordered it! Also, it would’ve been nice to have consistency with the formats, as I prefer the book style of the Out Of Time SDE, especially since I have to order the vinyl separately. Wouldn’t it be great if one could customize their own format? Maybe I’m on to something!

16. Frenchy Eric says:

Super deluxe box sets of this kind should be around 50 pounds max !

17. Kauwgompie says:

Added to my want list, which means I will get this for sure. Content is great but here is what I don’t understand. Why is this 2x as expensive as the Out Of Time SDE with the same amount of discs? Yes I understand the book, bigger box etc, but WHY? It’s all about the music, not the actual box it is in. Fans don’t want that. I want to pay about $40 for a 4disc SDE, not $80!!!!!

18. Auntie Sabrina says:

The track Photograph features Natalie Merchant…

And yes, Graham, the Out OF Time Deluxe 3CD/BD set was or is around £49 -£50.

19. Tim-meh says:

And just because REM and Husker Du shared a kinship, RIP Grant Hart. And for those interested there’s an impressive HD box set coming out in November too. Savage Young Du on vinyl and CD.

20. Kiki says:

It’s always a pain to see that the 2Cds edition includes a live instead of the Unreleased sessions… :-(

My question : Wasn’t there any B Sides from this Era ?

21. Lee Taylor says:

Love this album (and band), so this is an obvious “buy” for me. However, I’m a bit annoyed that they didn’t include any b-sides (“Winged Mammal Theme,” “New Orleans Instrumental No. 2, etc.) or period-era stray tracks (“It’s a Free World, Baby,” “First We Take Manhattan,” the William S. Burroughs version of “Star Me Kitten”).

• Henrik K says:

Agree
      To leave some tracks out make no sense

• CraigH says:

You should be able to pick up the Automatic Box for 10-20 quid these days (although the outer cardboard sleeve will be a bit tatty by now I guess). The lack of B-Sides on this SDE makes that a keeper (or a must-buy if you don’t already have it). It also covers the Green B-Sides missed off that deluxe edition too.

22. movement says:

No, R.E.M. You continue to get it wrong.

We don’t want your demos. We want your B-sides, of which there were many. IIRC, there was even a boxed set of singles. At the time it was too expensive for me and then it all went out of print. You could have fixed this now but you didn’t.

No sale.

23. Henrik K says:

At last.
    I have been waiting for this for a long time. A top album. one of the Best of its time.
    But expensive.
    I will buy the 2 cd version
    The big one when the prize drops.
    Great news

24. Mark S says:

For the life of me I can never understand why so many sets don’t include the period b sides. Or associated tracks from the era.
    I think a lot of people get annoyed when they -mistakenly / assume these sets should include absolutely everything. But by any measure surely b sides of the time have a lot more musical relevance than endless demos or previously released live tracks.

Counter argument I guess is that it is a deluxe version of the ALBUM. And the bsides weren’t on the album.

Tough one.

• Marshall Gooch says:

Perhaps it’s assumed that the super fans will already have the B-sides. Anyhow, I plan on getting the vinyl (since vinyl on this one was basically non existent) and the SDE once the price comes down. (And I’d be okay with B-sides rather than countless demos, too.)

25. Francis says:

I almost had an orgasm when this was announced :o) I will definitely be buying this as updating from the original single standard CDs to the new deluxe editions.

26. Derek says:

Stupidly priced as before, I’ll be waiting for the SDE deal alert on this one

27. Glenn says:

Agree with that Lee. Would have been nice if they issues the B-sides and remixes along with the recent round of reissues.

28. MüllerMüller says:

Sad Sad Sad
    No b-sides
    No remixes
    No soundtrack tracks
    No edits
    Boring demos
    Boring live tracks
    Is it a WB problem???

29. SimonP says:

Heard Mike’s Pop Song on 6 Music the other day. One could tell why it was left in the vaults at the time…

30. Auntie Sabrina says:

The lack of b-sides etc seems to be in keeping with the previous deluxe 3CD/BD set of Out OF Time…

31. Kevin says:

Yeah, the price point for this is a bit jarring, but I’m hopeful it’ll come down another $20 (in Amazon anyway) by release day.

32. Mark says:

The Out of Time anniversary 3 disc vinyl is available at the minute on Amazon marketplace for £19. Coming up out of stock but worth a punt at that price…

33. Auntie Sabrina says:

The uDiscover and remhq.com websites have the 3CD/1BD set price at £80 so fingers crossed.

34. Francis says:

Always moaners that are never satisfied!

35. Caroline says:

I think the strangest decision is making “Photograph” a bonus track on the Dolby Atmos and the hi-res stereo versions only i.e. it’s not on the 2 disc at all but merited the Atmos/Hi-Res treatment…even odder than including demos of a b-side but not the b-side. Still, wonderful album.

36. GentleRabbit says:

Amazing record. Sublime.

Have to await a Deal Alert, though… and agree that the fantastic b-sides to this period are sorely missed. Always loved their noodling and instrumentals, though, so look forward to eventually snagging a copy of this lovely thing.

37. Will W says:

I really wish the 4 disc was the same size as the Out of Time reissue…… 2 disc for me when the price comes down.

38. Lemmin says:

If the two disc set included the demos instead of the live album I would have bought it. Since they did not they will not get any money from me. Overall, R.E.M. has had the most convoluted reissue campaigns I can remember. The packaging differences between the first two albums and the rest, the padding of the later sets with post cards and long available live sets to justify jacking up the price and a lack of 5.1 mixes for the earlier pre-Out Of Time releases. R.E.M. has a whole corporate entity in place with dedicated, long term employees who manage their back catalog, there’s really no excuse for the amateurish, fan gouging way in which this bands catalog as been handled.

39. Jeff says:

New 5.1 remix and Atmos? Sign me up.

40. James Foran says:

I’m only a casual REM fan and really like this album but I won’t be buying the deluxe because of the live second CD. I’d much rather have preferred the second CD to have consisted of b sides and rare tracks and I would have snapped it up. Shame really as it would have been nice to have.

41. Andrew M says:

Pissed off here. Completely pissed off. OOT set was bad (so much missing) but this is even worse.

Overpriced. So much fantastic music missing. Complete rip off.

Of all the bands who I thought wouldn’t ever be a part of the “ripping the fans off” culture – and they are one of the worst (alongside one of my other favourite bands, Queen). The thing is, they always out just enough on there to make it necessary for us to buy it, but not the stuff we KNOW is out there.

Disgraceful.

42. Charlie Waffles says:

Another missed opportunity from R.E.M. There should be a disc of the b-sides. Somebody like me needs to be in charge of putting together the 25th anniversary titles by R.E.M. So far they have been hit and miss.

43. MFG says:

My preferences for deluxe edition reissues:
    1. B-Sides and unreleased songs (not different versions of known songs).
    2. Different versions of known songs (single edits, extended mixes, etc.).
    3. Live songs (assuming good sound quality and performances).
    4. Demos. (I rarely find demo versions interesting.)

So yeah, not interested in the super deluxe edition for OOT or AFTP. The two-disc OOT is also disappointing. I might get the AFTP two-disc version, but I’ll listed to the live songs first before deciding. R.E.M. live on record can be hit-and-miss. I enjoyed the 1987 concert from Document deluxe edition, but not the earlier shows from Murmur & Reckoning reissues. (Live in person is a different story – enjoyed all of my R.E.M. concerts.)

44. patjoller says:

there’s a whole digital boxset with all b-sides already available…. I’m happy to have the whole 40 watts gig and never heard demos instead of b-sides I have on various singles and boxsets…. So I’m on the happy fans camp and think this is a great set.

• CraigH says:

Agreed, the B sides are already widely available and it’s the previously unreleased demos in this case that are the attraction.

I’m surprised by the amount of moaning about this release, to all those upset about missing b sides – they’ve been available for years so you’ve surely had time to buy them already?! If not then the cd singles from that era are available for pennies if you want to start a collection up.

45. Alan Blevin says:

Yes it is very overpriced.4 times the cost of the Songs From The Wood box set for less content and inferior packaging for example.
    As for the b sides they have never been included in any of the REM reissues-always demos and/or live recordings.However there was a large digital iTunes “box” that collected nearly all of these.I am hoping for a physical version of this.There is a “window of opportunity”at the end of 2018 when there is no 25th anniversary edition of an album to release.Lets hope.

46. Reed says:

Clarify something for me. As I’m not one of the 11 people out there who have a Dolby Atmos set up, will I be able to play the surround sound mix on my 5.1 surround sound set up? Or should I hunt down the DVD-A for a surround sound mix?

• Gregory says:

Have you read Paul’s above presentation ?
      I quote: the “Dolby Atmos mix also provides an enhanced sound experience on any surround sound setup”
      So yes, if you have a 5.1 sound set up that can read blu-ray and decode Dolby True-HD, you will be able to enjoy this new surround sound mix. It’s just that you won’t be able to hear all the directional sound effects that were designed by the sound engineer, it will be downmixed to fit your 5.1 setup.

47. Auntie Sabrina says:

Reed, Dolby Atmos is backward compatible with, so will play on your Dolby 5.1 system.

48. Dave H says:

So what I’m gathering from reading the above is if you’re a fan of REM and have all the CD singles and b-sides, given the choice you’re happy having all the demo’s and live material instead of the b sides. You’ll probably be even more happy if all the b sides were collected together in the SDE for the same price that would make it value for money.

For the casual fan who doesn’t have all the singles with b-sides, you would be happier buying the SDE version if it had all the b-sides and not the demo’s.

If you’re a casual fan or an album person who didn’t buy any of the singles and doesn’t want to spend all his money on the SDE version, given the choice of material for the 2CD version, you prefer in order of preference:
    1) The B sides.
    2) A Live concert.
    3) The Demo versions.

As the saying goes, you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Sounds like a good album title that!

• patjoller says:

let’s face it… those deluxe editions are made for fans (mostly), so B-sides are already in their collections. So they chose the best way to have the fans put out their wallet one more time

The album is already in their collections… doesn’t stop them including that in the packages.

• patjoller says:

true, but it’s remastered…. and what’s the point of releasing a deluxe package of an album… without the album

I know, but the point is, your ‘they’ve been released before’ argument is redundant, since reissues by definition include content that’s been out before. All the B-sides, extra tracks, promo remixes etc should have been included.

• MFG says:

“B-sides are already in their collections.”

Not always. I’m a big R.E.M. fan, but I never hunted down all the singles just for the b-sides. For the 2-CD deluxe editions, I think adding b-sides and to the second disc is the best bet (or a good live concert). Save the demos for the super deluxe editions with the fancy packaging.

Also, I’m not interested in digital-only b-side compilations, or digital-only releases of any kind. I prefer the physical product, like many other readers of this blog. :-)

• patjoller says:

that is a valid point, owns physical products. And we can go on and on, and still be lectured in my case… but that’s the purpose of reissues, making the people moaning about what they don’t get. I’m sure another cd of b-sides would have been good but that comes with a price… some are not ready to pay. The completist like myself are on the happy camp this time with “real” unreleased material.
          Full of redundant arguments here….

“comes with a price”. As mentioned in the SDE newsletter last night, this is 65% more expensive than the Out of Time SDE. If you are paying 65% more then it’s not unreasonable to expect more content (i.e. more audio), rather than just a bigger book and a 5.1 with more bells and whistles. They can’t say ‘we didn’t have any more’ audio because we know there are B-sides and extra tracks and some promo remixes. So what is the justification for not including them. Six discs would have been commensurate with a 65% hike in price.

• Iain McCarthy says:

If the logic was that most fans already have the b-sides, they would realise that most people already have 12 of the 13 live tracks as they were provided as B-sides for the ‘Monster’ singles!

• patjoller says:

so people should stop complaining.. there are B-sides on this release… they are just Monster’s B-sides :-)
            And Master Paul, I’m not complaining about the price (and I agree it’s a bit high)… and when I said comes with a price meant that with another disc they (label or management) will sell it at a higher price. So we can all complain all day long and you can try to prove my points wrong all day long, this is what we get, happy or not. I will buy it because I want it… simple as that, but won’t judge anyone who doesn’t… even you.
            Keep up the good work

49. Brian says:

It’s so frustrating. I wish they would release the 5.1 separately .

50. Neil says:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the extortionate price of the double CD.

51. Mark Porter says:

It’s up on Amazon Uk site as of a couple of hours ago

52. Matthew Langhorn says:

£74.38 for the box on amazon.co.uk this morning…….that’s steep!

I’ll keep an eye on this before I order

53. Mark Carroll says:

HOW MUCH ????????…..gulp…I think i’ll wait for a special deal on this, I got Out of Time for £21….

54. Martin says:

A great record by a great band. Will await the 2cs to be on offer and pick the vinyl up cheap. Different again to the OOT release of 3 LP vinyl. The SDE is a little overpriced for me book or not

55. Mad Earwig says:

I guess you can’t please all the people all of the time. It’s been 25 years and I still enjoy this album and I loved ‘Life’s Rich Pageant’ ‘Document’ and ‘Green’ and to a lesser extent, ‘Out Of Time’

In all these re-issue cases, I saw the extra discs of outtakes and live gigs as just accompanying material to the main feature. The live gig with ‘Green’ was superb.
    Reading this forum is a bit sad as none of you are getting what you want.
    It’s expensive, sure…but when you’re listening to ‘Try Not To Breathe’ on a good hi-fi you won’t really give toss of the box size or that missing b side.

56. Richard says:

The issues about not including the B sides in this reissue are:

1. Yes, they are still reasonably easy to hunt down on CDs from the era, but a number of those pressings sound very flat in these HD days.

2. Related, they might be available on iTunes, but as we’ve learnt from Macca, someone willing to pay big money for a box set wants everything from the era in at least CD quality rather than obvious gaps, or having to hunt them down elsewhere on MP3.

3. Most of these missing tracks remain amazing.

4. REM have already released more than enough live albums.

57. Robert S says:

Unless there is a big price drop after Christmas I’ll pass on this. I’ve got the DVD audio set for surround and might get the 2 disc version. Thing is if I don’t buy this I’ll not feel so compelled to buy the next re-issue.

58. Charlie Waffles says:

Paul, I just read your weekly e-mail about Automatic for the People. You hit the nail on the head. Listen up, R.E.M. This reissue could have been so much better.

59. Miguel Rocha says:

I’m a fan of R.E.M. since Murmur was released in my first year of high school, but I don’t own a single, erm, single! Not entirely sure how they justify releasing super deluxe editions of any album without including b-sides or outtakes. R.E.M. should look at the Pavement deluxe 2cd reissues from a few years back to see how it’s done: the complete album, complete b-sides, alternate takes, live tracks, and other relevant released tracks (ie. exclusive recordings for compilations, etc). Totally engaging and a complete representation of the period around each album’s release. Also, not a huge burden on the fan’s bank account.

60. michael59 says:

yes, b-sides would have been nice :-)

61. Lee says:

I’m looking at the price tag and what you get. I look towards my copy of the CD and the Parallel DVD and think no, there’s no need to purchase this.

62. Iain McCarthy says:

I am a bit disappointed with this as 12 of the 13 live tracks have already been officially released on the ‘Monster’ singles.

63. Mike Bushell says:

I’ve just read Paul’s editorial on the weekly mailout and hadn’t realised that the book was so large. I’m not sure I’ve got anywhere to put it! I rather like the re-releases of the first five albums as they fit on CD shelves and was disappointed with the large Out of Time package. This proves that there’s always someone who’ll moan. Sorry.

What really irks me is the price. Yes, it’s a truly great album by a truly great band, but so what? The Queen Is Dead is being reissued and that sits even higher in my reckoning and is less than half the price.

64. Klaus says:

I’ve also just read the newsletter referring to this item and for me i can say that i’m interested in the SDE because it’s a very good album but, remembering that i got the Out Of Time SDE for GBP 22 only weeks after the release of it, just like with Queens News Of The World and several other stuff in the past i will buy it only after a massive price drop or i won’t buy it at all.

65. Robert says:

Why didn’t they make this book the same size as “Out of Time” ? Automatic For The People is a great album … maybe their best album. I think that I am going to wait untill the price of this SDE drops.

66. Ben Williams says:

Does anyone else feel that, overall this year, the box sets from the big all-time selling artists have been a real let down?

Sgt Pepper 50 was an exception which was fab.

Way overpriced and short on much decent and/or unheard musical content; notable offenders: Flowers In The Dirt, News Of The World, Joshua Tree, Automatic For The People… could have been the absolute best and so much to offer but what is given and the price asked is a slap in the face. And yes, I am still bitter about Flowers In The Dirt lol!

67. Matthew Langhorn says:

I’m really conflicted (yes, my first post was before we knew the price), it’s a truly stunning album but for £75 there isn’t actually that much audio content, but it’s a truly stunning album!

68. Ken Evans says:

I got the 25th anniversary Murmur when it was out – it was unlistenable loudness war – I heard the same was true of the next couple so never got those.

Anyone know if the more recent ones (Green, OOT) were the same or did they finally get the sonics right?

• Mark says:

Unfortunately, more of the same. REM’s reissues have now crossed several different labels, but the ultra-loud mastering has remained consistent. Hugely disappointing.

69. Mark Porter says:

One thing’s for sure , we won’t have a problem when the Monster SDE comes out without B-sides being included!

70. James says:

That is such utter garbage about the mastering. None of the R.E.M. Deluxes have been ‘Ultra loud’. Yes, they’ve been ‘louder’ but that’s not unexpected and not always a disadvantage. Seems some people have an unusual opinion on what constitutes ‘unlistenable’. I suppose it all depends on your expectations of a remaster, the equipment and environment you’re listening in and, most crucially, your hearing.

71. JohnF says:

Anyone know if the contemporary looking interviews in the trailer are in the set anywhere? Maybe an up to date documentary or something?

72. Ken Evans says:

It is well known in our community what a loudness war remaster sounds like – there is minimal dynamic range, all peaks and no nuance. It is designed to pop when played at 320 kbps through crappy earbuds, at the expense of those who play it on cd using actual hi-fi equipment.

73. Auntie Sabrina says:

JohnF, the interviews may not be included, although the boxset includes “… expanded liner notes by Tom Doyle who conducted new interviews with all four band members”

74. Matthew Langhorn says:

It’s actually gone up this morning to £74.52!

75. Matt Thurston says:

Haters go home. Remember how you felt the first, second, third, and 100th time you listened to “Nightswimming” and “Find the River”? Easily the most sublime moments of the 1990s.

“Nightswimming deserves a quiet night
    I’m not sure all these people understand
    It’s not like years ago
    The fear of getting caught”

76. Matthew Langhorn says:

Very true Matt

I’m off to order the box (sound of Amazon being opened)

77. Jim Galvin says:

It’s still missing the B-Side cover of The Lion Sleeps Tonight

78. Pingback:INXS / Kick 30 / anniversary deluxe set | superdeluxeedition

79. Nick says:

This is one of the Best Albums of All Time, I was actually in Our Price in 1992 listening to it for the first time in there and bought it there and then – the first and only time I have ever done that and I’ve got 30000+ LPs and Singles….

I’m very Disappointed it’s not getting the Deluxe Vinyl Treatment it so richly deserves – shame So I will wait until it is Super Deluxed on Vinyl….

If it’s not getting the Super Deluve Vinyl Treatment does this mean The Vinyl Bubble has Burst?
    It’s very strange Out of Time Got the Deluxe 25th Anniversary Treatment and This Hasnt! Missed Opportunity Concord somebody need to be Sacked! (The CEO!)

80. Chris Parker says:

Remember buying this in HMV Warrington. first day, bought with the Drive CD single. Expensive comapred with Out Of Time reissue, so will wait till a prrics drop. The Live recordings actually had 2 versions of Drive (at least the bootleg did), so it isn’t complete. Wondering was the gig filmed?. Would have been nice.

So nextMonster then

81. Rett Russell says:

This is a superdeluxewebsite….I love discovering upcoming remasters, bonus discs, audio opinions, et al.
    My comment (1st ever): Please don’t forget that some of us relish getting a bluray Stereo mix.
    (Some audiophile geeks like me don’t have the space for or want all the extra 5.1 equipment.)
    The new Doors Singles bluray collection is 5.1 only…..disappointing; but, I have the Perception DVD-A versions so I’m OK with it.
    If I hadn’t scrolled down to find stereo renditions are indeed included on the bluray disc I would have ignored the release.
    Keep up the good work!

82. Rett Russell says:

to be clear, the Automatic For the People bluray disc contains a stereo version of the album but no mention was made of it. cheers

83. cale says:

I’m very interested in the contents of the super deluxe edition, but put off by the unwieldy size, so I will probably stick to the 2 cd version. A shame, really.

I’m also still waiting for a normal sized edition of Lou Reed’s Arista/RCA remasters

84. Paul says:

REM Store has a load of other combinations and merchandise options for the release including blankets, tote bags, pins etc!

85. Paul says:

UK Store link for more stuff!!

86. Mathew Lauren says:

So, I read a wonderful article about this R.E.M. Atmos mix, along with news that “Sgt Pepper’s” did receive Dolby Atmos treatment as well – and is apparently VERY discrete. I look forward to a “Peppers” Atmos, standalone BLU-RAY; and although not as critical as many, I concur that the current “Peppers” surround-mix is no SW-immersion mix, either. Regardless, I can’t wait to hear what Giles did with the INXS “Kick” Atmos mix and of course, though I like the current “Peppers” TrueHD Surround option best on my system; I will be among the first to purchase the “Peppers” Atmos mix, that WILL surely be released, eventually — my bet sooner, than later. Cheers, all!