Ramones / Leave Home: four-disc 40th anniversary super deluxe edition

Rhino will issue a super deluxe edition of the Ramones 1977 album Leave Home next month, which, as with last year’s reissue of the band’s self-titled debut, will offer rare and unreleased content across three CDs and a vinyl LP.

The first CD in this new edition features two different mixes of the album, a remastered version of the original and a new 40th anniversary mix by original Leave Home album engineer/mixer Ed Stasium.

The second CD is packed with content (loads of alternative mixes) and features 30 previously unreleased tracks including Leave Home rough mixes for recorded at Sundragon studio in New York.

The final disc features an unreleased recording of the band’s concert at CBGB’s on 2 April, 1977. The show took place a few months after Leave Home was released and includes live performances of tracks from the album along with classics like Blitzkrieg Bop and Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue.

The vinyl LP included in this new edition features the 40th anniversary remix. In the sleeve notes that accompany this set, Ed Stasium explains why this has been created: “Generally, the consensus was [the original] maybe sounded too clean, the guitars panned completely left-right detracted from the band’s foreboding presence, and the reverb effects especially were a little excessive.”

Like the reissue of Ramones, this comes packaged in a 12″ x 12″ hardcover book. According to the label it’s a “limited and numbered edition of 15,000 copies worldwide”.

This Leave Home super deluxe edition will be released on 21 July. US fans should consider the UK pre-order price of £39. With VAT deducted it equates to around $43 + shipping, which is a saving of around $22 on the current US price.

0081227940270

• California Sun *
  • Commando *
  • You’re Gonna Kill That Girl *
  • You Should Have Never Opened That Door *
  • Babysitter *

40th Anniversary Extras

• Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (Single Version)
  • I Don’t Care (B-Side Version)
  • Babysitter (UK Album Version)
  • Glad To See You Go (BubbleGum Mix) *

• What’s Your Game
  • California Sun
  • Commando
  • You’re Gonna Kill That Girl
  • You Should Have Never Opened That Door

* Previously Unreleased

28 responses to Ramones / Leave Home: four-disc 40th anniversary super deluxe edition

1. Auntie Sabrina says:

The vinyl is also available seperatly for around £14.99.

2. Enrico G. says:

Pre-ordered!

3. AFGreenwood says:

there are quite a few live Ramones albums around (This concert seems to be on YouTube at the moment) but I am really not convinced about remixes for this band.
    the whole point of Ramones was to hammer through as many songs as possible in an hour (if live) or 30 minutes (for an album)
    having grown up with these early albums (I was 15 when Rocket to Russia came out) I just want to hear them like that.
    As I have previously remarked, I am not bothered about vinyl to replace albums I have thrown away, so I may have been interested in a CD only version with the early mixes if they are demos and the live version, and to be fair, £40 is not a bad price but I don’t want the vinyl.
    hmm… this rambles a bit, so sorry, but no Ramones remixes are required EVER in my opinion

• David M says:

As Paul notes I think the remixes are just correcting bad stereo. They did a mono version for the first album.

• Murray says:

I thought the mono mix of the 1st LP was amazing. I didn’t buy that big box set to hear it. I just stream it on Spotify. If they’d release it separately, I’d definitely buy it. It’s like a whole new record.

4. Martin says:

Picked up the first box and will def give this one a go – At least it is a reasonable offering in terms of price point. This makes purchase an easier option.

5. Paul Martin says:

Oddly, although the release date is given as 21st July, on checking out at Amazon, the arrival date is stated as 4th August, even with postage added which usually gives you delivery on the day of release. Is this an import only? Ordered anyway.

6. Stevie B says:

Just about the best band I never got to see live (of those I could have seen). This goes on my wants list straight off.

7. korova says:

“Limited to 15,000”, so not very limited and I suspect everyone who wants one will get one with a fair few left over. Fair play they have put a number on the limit and every one is numbered but the definition of Limited is starting to blur on a lot of recent releases.

• Chris Squires says:

But doesn’t that completely relate to fan-base?

Bowie’s Cracked Actor was “limited” to 30,000 (I think) but they all sold with residual desirability and the recent Robert Palmer White Vinyl “Collected” was “limited” to 750. The McCartney SDEs were limited to fairly large amounts if the numbers on the backs of my copies are anything to go by.

I guess the aim is to limit the amount to just below the number of units you will sell easily in the first week, thereby guaranteeing a sell out. The Blancmange “500” sold out in an afternoon.

It’s all a gamble isn’t it. And exactly as you say, clarity is the thing. No-one should be able to call anything “limited” if the figure isn’t known and the copies aren’t numbered….
      Abba – Gold “limited” gold vinyl is how many copies?

8. GHB says:

+1 for a CD-only release without the vinyl, which I’ll never play. I would be very interested to hear CDs 2 and 3 though! Won’t happen now mind, as that would ruin the consistency of the reissue series (which I have some sympathy for, the 45th anniversary VU super deluxe reissues do benefit from the consistency of presentation and packaging) ….

9. Gary Shaw says:

Looks excellent, but I have no use for vinyl. So I can’t see me paying that much for three CDs and a lump of plastic I can’t play with music duplication. I prefer deluxe editions where the vinyl is sold separately.

10. Kauwgompie says:

The reality is that pretty much all box sets are limited. If I check out the availability of box sets I bought over the years, they are almost all out of print. I think the train of thought is that record companies just print a certain number that they think the true fans will buy and charge an arm and a leg. The casual fans will buy the regular 2cd expanded version or remastered single disc. The record companies seemingly don’t want to get burned with overstock of boxsets. That works well for me. If I ever want to sell a box set, you almost always get your money back, as long as they are in good shape.

11. Michael says:

Loved this album when it first came out, saw them live a couple of years later, but I don’t need this on vinyl, or any remixes. I agree with the earlier comment: this sort of thing is the antithesis of Ramones. Now, if it came with one of those ultra-rare Ramones t-shirts …

• Larry Davis says:

Ummmmm, Michael…I definitely want this “Leave Home” boxset, and replace the original expanded edition, which had the concert which was moved to the boxset of the debut album, as bonus tracks…as for rare T-shirts?? I have one from the 1993 Mondo Bizarro tour that I will gladly trade you for a new copy of this boxset!! It’s in fine shape. The only other Ramones shirt I have and want to keep is from the 1996 Farewell Tour, because it looks amazing and I love the blue lettering. I can part with the “Mondo Bizarro” one. Let me know.

• Dave says:

I think Michael may have implied sarcasm when mentioning the ultra-rare Ramones T, seeing as you can now find them in the most unlikely of clothes and even food shops over here, but I could be mistaken. ;)

12. Stevie B says:

15,000 is pretty limited for a worldwide total, and why shouldn’t limited editions have high runs? The more people who want it that can get it without having to pay way over the odds on e-bay or elsewhere the better in my view.

13. Andy says:

Ordered from Amazon UK for only $50 (inc shipping) to the USA. Amazon US want $7o plus tax at the moment. Thanks Paul!

14. charadeescadnal says:

Pretty much agree with the comments but still have to say that I presume they’re going to do these for the first four records and they’ll still all be buy-on-site for me.

Can’t help it. You know how it is!

I hope that the essays are beefier than the first set. That was disappointing.

15. korova says:

Its the word “Limited” that’s disappointing when used with 15,000. I see it more as a “production run” of 15,000. Personally, and each to their own thoughts, if its more than 1,000 then its not limited. That way I can justify to myself the usually high price for a release truly limited. IMHO.

16. Marshall Gooch says:

Ordered. Now patiently awaiting ROAD TO RUIN!

17. Kauwgompie says:

Same concept as the first album SDE. 3 discs and Vinyl. Price will be around $50 in the USA i’m sure. That’s where the first album SDE ended up. Seems like they are releasing one Ramones SDE every year. Next will probably be “Rocket To Russia”. I can’t keep buying all these so hoping for a deal alert. I already have the “Weird Tales From The Ramones” boxset.

18. EW99 says:

Anyone who says they don’t need Ramones remixes can’t have heard the revelatory 40th anniversary mono mix of the first album.

19. Larry Davis says:

Soooo, as they did a boxset for album #2, “Leave Home”, in the same fashion and format as the debut…I think it’s safe to assume they are doing boxsets for each and every one of their albums?? Or at least the 11 studio Sire ones…maybe just 10, as the final one, 1989’s “Brain Drain” was only on Sire in the US…it was on Chrysalis in the UK. It was strange that, initially, only the first 8 got expanded and “Animal Boy” (1986), “Halfway To Sanity” (1987) & “Brain Drain” (1989) got neglected…H2S was never remastered at all, or at least in the US. Same with “Brain Drain”. “Animal Boy” had a belated CD reissue/release in the late 90s but was never remastered. And the 2 Sire live albums, “It’s Alive” (1979) & “Loco Live” (1990), same thing, and LL was slightly different on Chrysalis in the UK. And what about the soundtrack to “Rock & Roll High School” (1979)?? Maybe Rhino has a whole huge Ramones catalogue overhaul plan being rolled out 1 box at a time…

20. Smorrissey says:

I personally hate this tendency of releasing cd and vinyl on the same set. Im a cd guy and im willing to pay for them exclusively. A vinyl is completely useless and bulky for me so ill pass again and ill wait for the flac edition elsewhere.

21. Animal Boy says:

My main concern is that the thing is mastered correctly. I don’t care what Craig Leon or anybody else had to say about the “intentions” of first album mono mix – the final, released result was a nearly unlistenable, brickwalled catastrophe. Here’s hoping Ed Stasium has it a little more under control for this one.

22. Larry Davis says:

Hey Animal Boy…I actually really enjoyed that new mono mix of the debut!! They added little vocal/instrumental bits/countdowns not on the original album and how everything was brought together and not separated. I am looking forward to this new 40th anniversary remix of “Leave Home” too…I love the “clean” production but I also like things dirtied up as well, and am curious with the finished mix. As for mixing vinyl and CDs in the same package, I have no problem as long as the price is not too high. If it’s separated, I will generally only buy the CDs/DVDs, unless there is something cool with the vinyl, like coloured or exclusives.

23. LMTR14 says:

a vinyl makes every boxset better.