Re-Flex / The Politics of Dancing 2CD

Cherry Red will release a two-CD expanded deluxe edition of The Politics of Dancing, the debut album from short-lived synth-pop outfit Re-Flex.

The 1983 album was produced by John Punter and the title track was a successful single in many territories. A planned second album Humanication was rejected by EMI and those recordings wouldn’t emerge until 2010 when they featured in a box set.

This expanded 2CD version of The Politics of Dancing contains a selection of extended mixes which apparently were not included in the aforementioned box from 2010 and the label has opted not to repeat bonus offerings already issued in that set, preferring to focus on new-to-CD content.

The extended version of ‘The Politics of Dancing’ is the same as the 6.37 album version, which is why it isn’t listed on CD 2 as a bonus track. Some bonus material is sourced from the original tapes and some tracks were mastered from vinyl.

The Politics of Dancing 2CD deluxe is issued on 30 November 2018.

Re-Flex

The Politics Of Dancing (2CD Expanded Edition)

DISC ONE
1. PRAYING TO THE BEAT
2. HITLINE
3. HURT
4. COULDN’T STAND A DAY
5. THE POLITICS OF DANCING
6. SOMETHING ABOUT YOU
7. POINTLESS
8. JUNGLE
9. SENSITIVE
10. KEEP IN TOUCH

BONUS TRACKS
11. CRUEL WORLD (12” EXTENDED VERSION)
12. THE POLITICS OF DANCING (7” VERSION)
13. CRUEL WORLD (7” SPANISH VERSION)

DISC TWO
1. FLEX-IT (B SIDE OF US 12” VERSION)
2. THE POLITICS OF DANCING (U.S. 7” SINGLE
VERSION)
3. FLEX-IT (U.S. 7” SINGLE)
4. HITLINE (12” EXTENDED MIX)
5. HURT (U.S. 7” VERSION)
6. HURT (U.S. 12” PROMO RUBBER DUB MIX)
7. HURT (U.S. 12” PROMO EMOTIONAL JOHN
LUONGO RE-MIX)
8. HURT (EMOTIONAL PETE SMITH RE-MIX)
9. CUT IT
10. PRAYING TO THE BEAT (12” EXTENDED
VERSION)
11. CUT IT (12” EXTENDED VERSION)
12. WHAT YOU DESERVE (7” SINGLE VERSION)

41 responses to Re-Flex / The Politics of Dancing 2CD

1. Neil says:

You would have thought they would at least have had the decency to contact Amazon to let then know this release isn’t happening as a lot of people are going to be pissed off.

2. Scott Truelove says:

I’ll be keeping my one way records cd after all then!!
    Unless anyone wants it for £100!!!!
    Just get the box set from the Re-flex website.

3. Kauwgompie says:

Why has this been cannceled? Im gutted. Quickly sold my old copy on Ebay for a small fortune and now it’s canceled???? Why?

4. Neil says:

This has been removed from Cherry Red’s website i wonder if it will still get released.

5. Andrew says:

And let’s not forget that Bass legend Mark King started out playing drums for Re-Flex- as did his band mate Phil Gould.

6. torchomatic says:

I have the LP. It’s OK, but not something I go back to very often. “Of it’s time”, I think we say.

7. Larry Davis says:

Surprised the box is still available…a friend of mine has it and it looks awesome and I was sure I was outta luck if I wanted it, and thought it was more expensive than it actually is…50 pounds for a 6CD box…always loved the “Politics” album, had it on vinyl on Capitol US back when I was in college…I may get this Cherry Red reissue as well…

8. Charlie Waffles says:

I played my cassette to death. It will be great to finally purchase this.

9. matt says:

i never really understood Spanish versions!

10. Bengt says:

Looking forward to this. Had not seen the box-set before either (ordered).
    Underrated band. The 12″ mix of “Hitline” especially. Listen 2:57 into that mix and you’ll hear strong shades of Tony Mansfield’s sound (“New Musik”). Excellent!

11. jsd says:

It’s a shame that Re-Flex will be forever known as a one hit wonder, because this album is really a lost gem. It’s got none-more-80’s simmons drums, funky slap bass, hooky synths galore all contributing to a really nice 80’s funk-rock sound. Songs are solid throughout.

12. OMAR says:

They should release Humanication too after this.

13. Eric M. says:

I have poked around the official listing at Cherry Red’s site and there is no indication of *which* tracks are taken from vinyl. Supremely irritating. I am not above a good vinyl rip but Cherry Red— while doing some really great releases— has released some awful vinyl rips along the way. The “US Remix” of “Room at the Top” on their Adam Ant ‘Manners & Physique’ reissue is just about unlistenable.

14. Kauwgompie says:

For those thinking that the 12″ mix is “Politics Of Dancing” is missing, it is my understanding that the album version is the same as the 12″ version. I have the One Way Records CD and it clocks in at 6’37”. The 12″ clocks in at around the same. Let’s face it, if they had lost the master of the 12″, Cherry Red would rip it from vinyl.

15. AdamW says:

Criminally underrated album. Played my cassette to death. Nearly all the songs are very good (maybe “Jungle” doesn’t quite reach that mark) and of course, the titanic title track.

Heard the first single from the “forthcoming” second album “How Much Longer” (featuring Sting!) on the Rock Over London radio show and then… it never forthcame.

Bought the reissue CD on One Way Records many years ago – sounded fine, but no bonus tracks, so this will be very cool. I own the “Hurt” US promo 12”, and the Luongo Mix is a winner IIRC.

• richard says:

The Box set has the second album & many many more unreleased tracks on many discs which makes this upcoming release useless for me.

But it doesn’t have any of the remixes on this second bonus disc, as I understand it, so not sure how you class it as ‘useless’…

• AdamW says:

Well, the box set has some of the bonus tracks, but clearly not all of them: the 7″ versions of “Cruel World,” “The Politics Of Dancing,” “Flex-It” and “Hurt,” and the US promo mixes of “Hurt” are unique to this offering.

16. Claire says:

Never heard of them – sounds good though – ordered

17. Chris says:

Brilliant news…so I’ve pre-ordered.

18. Mark Levy says:

Ordered!

19. Mark Levy says:

About time! I’ve never been able to get this one on CD.

20. Neil says:

Something i read elsewhere The Politics Of Dancing US 12″ Mix is missing as Warners were unable to locate the master.

• Jason Bellenger says:

Indeed. The response from Cherry Red was that a master could not be located for the U.S. 12″ mix of “The Politics of Dancing”. Since this 2-CD reissue is apparently sourcing from vinyl (see the above article) on a number of tracks, then why not source from vinyl for the U.S. 12″ of “The Politics of Dancing” then?

For those inquiring about the U.S. 12″ of “The Politics of Dancing”, it can be heard below. Notice the difference right away in the intro:

21. Robert Laversuch says:

Have the box set – sublime! And will I be getting this release. You bet!
    Own so many Cherry Red rereleases and they are all wonderfully curated so very excited about this one!!!