Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow / Memories in Rock II / 2CD+DVD or 3LP vinyl

2CD+DVD set • coloured triple vinyl • new studio recording

Guitar legend Ritchie Blackmore brought his new Rainbow line-up to the UK last year for three concerts (in London, Glasgow and Birmingham) and those performances feature on Memories in Rock II a new live album that also features the first new Rainbow studio recording in over 20 years.

The band line-up featured Ritchie Blackmore (Guitar); Ronnie Romero (Vocals); David Keith (Drums); Bob Nouveau (Bass); Jens Johanssen (Keyboards); Candice Night (Backing Vocals) and Lady Lynn (Backing Vocals). The track listing includes live performances of Spotlight Kid, I Surrender, Mistreated, Man on the Silver Mountain/ Woman from Tokyo, Perfect Strangers, Black Night and Smoke on the Water.

This new release comes as a two-CD set which includes a new studio track Waiting For A Sign (with Ritchie Blackmore on guitar and Ronnie Romero on vocals). This package includes a bonus DVD, but do note that this DVD isn’t a video performance of the show, rather it is described as a ‘backstage pass’ and features 80 minutes of interviews with band and crew who talk about how this show came to life.

The audio is also available on triple 140g vinyl. Amazon should be listing this as a blue vinyl edition soon, and JPC in Germany are also listing a GREEN 3LP vinyl set and a RED 3LP vinyl set so if you don’t fancy blue, then there are other options!

Memories in Rock II will be issued on 6 April 2018

7. Lady Lynn Interview
8. Dave David Interview
9. Andreas Bock Interview
10. Michael Bockmühl Interview
11. Bonus Backstage Clip
12. I Surrender 2017 Backstage Clip

25 responses to Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow / Memories in Rock II / 2CD+DVD or 3LP vinyl

1. Robert Perry says:

Amazon U.S. shows this as a triple 180g vinyl release. No mention of colored vinyl.
    I am hoping this IS thecolored vinyl and they have just not yet added that detail.
    Good price for $22.40 prime.

2. Paul Wren says:

There doesn’t appear to be much love on this forum for this product, does there? Interestingly, the triple vinyl is reasonably priced at c. £25. I suspect there will be left over supplies of the three coloured vinyl versions in due course, so maybe bide your time and pick it up sometime over the next year when the price drops beneath £20?

3. Jake says:

I don’t think Ritchie had any desire to be “pushed” by other musicians, which is a shame. He’s always made it clear these shows are just a quick blast from the past… set a few dates, knock out some old songs, and then get back into the tights for more Blackmore’s Night. And if that’s ALL it was, I wouldn’t be so disappointed.

But this is going to be the third release and these shows just weren’t that good. I can’t find the link that had the press release for this one, but it was rather funny how they made it out like these were the most amazing Rainbow shows ever.

You mentioned Child In Time which always struck me as an odd inclusion. I got the sense he does that song (in both this revamped Rainbow and when he does it with BN) just to poke at Gillan who long ago had to stop doing that song. If memory serves, there was one DP shows towards the end of his time where Gillan made it clear he couldn’t do the song, so Ritchie goes out there and starts playing it, forcing Gillan to do it.

To me, Child In Time was really Gillan’s song. Lord and Blackmore made it more interesting with their wild, drawn-out live solos, but the version Rainbow did in Birmingham was pretty tame. So what was the point? To make Romero strain his voice, or show Gillan that someone else can do that song as good as he could?

This may be a slightly unfair comparison, but I look at what King Crimson has been doing since reforming. They’ve released a number of live shows in the past couple of years with a new one hitting soon. Fripp surrounds himself with great musicians and from what I’ve heard from the releases I’ve bought, they’re killing it. I guess the motivation is different, but you’d think professional pride would cause Blackmore to make any Rainbow shows worthy of the legacy.

On the other hand, I might be really overthinking this. :)

The truth is, despite the self-loathing I’ll no doubt feel, I’ll be buying this. Ritchie is one of a handful of artists where I’m a sucker for anything they throw out. I’m at least trying to be excited for the new song.

• Woodsey Niles says:

You are absolutely right about the new King Crimson. The new live releases get better and better and there is another one due in April. There is a right way and a wrong way to do these reformations.

4. Woodsey Niles says:

I’m relieved to find that I’m not the only one who was disappointed by this half hearted Rainbow project when we were all hoping for the best. Ritchie should have surrounded himself with young, hungry musicians who would push him. Rather he settled upon a nondescript backup band who dare not emerge from the background lest they incur the wrath of the Man in Black. The set list I heard on the previous release doesn’t do Ronnie Romero any favors either. He just isn’t equipped to perform “Child in Time”. At times he sounds like a desperate cheerleader.

Paul Rodgers – my guess is facelift and hair plugs.

5. Nigel says:

I had tickets for the cancelled Manchester gig. At the time I was disappointed as it looked like a great set-list, but judging by the comments I didn’t miss much.

6. madmickeyt says:

The “you had to be there” comment does have some weight – I was at Brum the first time and it was an electric atmosphere. The follow ups at O2 etc did not really push on from that and were in some ways worse, but it was still good to be there. However, in the cold light of day, Ritchie does not really have it any more and listening to a recording of the gigs in my front room does not really appeal. He should have done it while he could still play those old tunes properly. Karaoke/tribute stuff really.

7. James A Gates says:

That cover art (complete ripoff of Rising) screams NO!

8. Rob says:

I don’t like new singer at all Ritchie sad he is great but he is awful ,the line up is poor and the man is getting old to me blacmore as good as good on the guitar and he give us so much great music rainbow rising is one of the best hard rock albums .I think Coverdale purple album is great and sounds fantastic . Richie is doing shitty job here

9. Pieter van der Velde wzn says:

I will always be a Blackmorian but the ivory tinkler is no Lord nor an Airey. The drummer is no Paice nor a Powell. Not even a Don Powell. The bassman is no Glover and the singer can’t do the Gillan. Ritchie used to be very demanding but since he fell in love with this lady from the colonies he seems a wee bit def. For example listen to Blackmore’s Night version of Long long time and compare it with Linda Ronstadt’s version. A superb singer and Candice merely nice but nothing more than that. A musician from Ritchie’s stature should only play with the top dogs. But then again. I’ll probably will buy this karaoke version of a once great band.

• Rosario says:

singer Romero up ian gillan.
      A very splendid singer.
      Crazy on live.

• James T says:

I was at the Glasgow show and the keyboard player played the most awful keyboard solo I’ve ever heard. Really, absolutely awful. It actually sounded like he was testing the rig. Lots and lots and lots of groans from my part of the venue.

10. Graham Pollitt says:

Saw this line up 2016 in Lorelly Germany. It was nearly exactly 40 years to the day I’d seen Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio etc.
    All I can say is I was feeling a lot happier 40 years ago.

11. schu says:

The cover art seems like a bit of misdirection from the actual content.

12. Cosmo Castanza says:

I saw Rainbow in 1980 , my first gig.
    The albums with Dio , Bonnet and Turner are some of my all time favourites……Down To Earth may well be my fav.

I have no interest whatsoever in this version , might as well see a tribute band for a tenner in a small venue.

13. Jake says:

I’m a huge Blackmore fan, so I hope he was personally fulfilled revisiting his rock history in those shows, but…

Normally I’d welcome the release of as much content as possible. However, judging what I’ve heard on the prior releases I’ve bought, it’s hard to get excited about this new one. I’m told you had to be there for the shows and maybe that’s true. But as a listener (and viewer of the earlier DVD) those shows were a disappointment for me. A shame more time and effort isn’t spent to release other great sounding Rainbow shows from the 70s and 80s… or even from the White era.

As for the interview DVD… (yawn).

• Francesco says:

I’m pretty much in agreement with you on this one. As for the ‘you had to be there’, I’m not buying that. I was at the O2 London show, by which time the band should have been ‘bedded in’ but they just weren’t up to it. Bland musicians chosen no doubt so as not to upstage Ritchie. The singer sounding like he’d learned the lyrics from listening to the records (and not quite hearing some words properly) says it all really. I’m really disappointed to be honest, I really wanted to enjoy the show and the live CDs, wanted the man to go out with a bang, a show I’d never forget, rather than one I remember for all the wrong reasons (shakes head ruefully).

14. Colin Harper says:

I find these elderly rockers with plainly ridiculous wigs fascinating. There’s a lot of them about – Ian Paice, Hank Marvin, Jeff Beck, Paul Rogers, etc. Just get rid of it, chaps. It just makes you look silly.

• SteveT says:

Last photos I saw of Paul Rodgers his head was shaved. No wig there.

• Colin Harper says:

A sebnsible idea. Though there’s a really awful official poster out there for a joint tour he’s doing in America this year with Jeff Beck (cue jokes about wig-outs onstage) – awful in the sense that it’s been appallingly Photoshopped and designed, looking like a 1970s end-of-pier variety bill in Bridlington – and Paul’s wig/weave/whatever is prominent on it.

• Colin Harper says:

Further to my previous reply Steve, I think you must be thinking of the fellow in UFO. No Google images or recent YouTube clips show Paul Rodgers with a shaved head.

• Paul W says:

What about paul stanley and big head gene

15. Francesco says:

For the first time I will be giving a Rainbow release a wide berth. I am and have always been a fan of Ritchie since his Purple days but the last tour was dire. Poor singer, poor musicians and the man himself going through the motions. I bought Memories in Rock and Live in Birmingham both as souvenirs of the tour and because I thought those shows had to be better than the London one…I was wrong. Those shows were no better, going by the CDs. Quite simply, this is the poorest Rainbow line-up we’ve seen and I’m not convinced Ritchie’s heart was in it. The last thing we need is more poor live run-throughs of some classic tunes that exist in far superior versions.

• martin brennan says:

these gigs were for the fans. there’s demand there and why wouldn’t Rainbow fans thoroughly enjoy it? I went to BOTH Birmingham gigs.
      Ritchie and the band played well, RR acquitted himself very well – adept performances of six different vocals (Gillan, Cov, Hughes (Burn), Dio, Bonnet, Lynn Turner).

It doesn’t matter tho’s camp you sit in, but Ritchie is a much happier man these days and it shows.
      The band should be commended for putting out a genuine live album – no tweaks, overdubs, fixes or enhancements.

My only gripe? no room for Burn on the triple LP.

now if someone, somewhere could locate the missing donington video