It has been confirmed today that Roger Waters‘ 1992 solo album Amused To Death – their much-delayed LP and SACD reissue project – will now be released as a multi-channel surround sound SACD rather than ‘just’ stereo as originally proposed.
Audiophile specialists Acoustic Sounds say they took the many requests for 5.1 from fans ‘very seriously’ and put the suggestion to Pink Floyd producer/engineer James Guthrie, who then sold Roger Waters himself on the idea!
Both the SACD and the vinyl are being mastered by renowned engineer Doug Sax with the two-LP being manufactured on 200g vinyl and pressed at the Quality Record Pressings plant in the US. Both anniversary editions will come with ‘special artwork’.
When originally issued on CD Amused To Death benefitted from ‘Q Sound’ which was a three-dimensional (3D) sound processing algorithm designed to simulate a surround sound effect. The nature of the recording and the fact that this technology was embraced at the time is part of the reason that fans were so adamant that the album was crying out for a full blown 5.1 remix.
This reissue was originally announced way back in January 2013 so it has been a long wait, but fans are likely to be more forgiving over delays now that the SACD will be a stunning remixed hi-res surround sound version.
Amused to Death now has a release date of 23 September 2014.
Multi-channel 5.1 SACD
- • UK Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death SACD
- • USA Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death SACD
- • CANADA Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death SACD
- • GERMANY Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death SACD
2LP Heavyweight Vinyl (200g)
- • UK Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death [2LP Vinyl]
- • USA Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death [2LP Vinyl]
- • CANADA Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death (2LP Vinyl)
- • GERMANY Amazon Pre-order: Amused to Death [2LP Vinyl]