Rolling Stones / Rock and Roll Circus four-disc box and 3LP vinyl

Dolby Atmos surround • 2CD+DVD+blu-ray box • unheard audio

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus is being released as a four-disc deluxe box set which features the event on blu-ray (for the first time). There will also be a 3 LP vinyl version, featuring extra tracks not previously broadcast.

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was shot over two days in December 1968 and featured guests such as The Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull and the impromptu supergroup The Dirty Mac (which featured John Lennon, Keith Richards, Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton and, on bag, Yoko Ono) in addition to the original lineup of The Rolling Stones.

Shot in a north London television studio by director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, (he would shoot Let It Be shortly after) The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was a concert filmed with the band themselves as on-screen hosts in addition to performing. The audience were made up of fan club members and it was ostensibly meant to be a BBC TV special for the Beggars Banquet long player. But Brian Jones left and then died, and so the film wasn’t properly released for 28 years.

In terms of this reissue, the limited deluxe edition is a multi-format package consisting of blu-ray, DVD, 2CD and a 44-page book with David Dalton’s original 1969 Rolling Stone essay and photographs by Michael Randolf.

Bonus material includes the late concert pianist Julius Katchen, three additional songs by Taj Mahal and never before heard recordings of The Dirty Mac performing The Beatles classic, ‘Revolution’ and the aptly titled track ‘Warmup Jam’. Released for the first time on Vinyl as a 3 LP package, the soundtrack is also available as a standalone 2CD set. Note: the blu-ray is not available separately it’s only in the box (for now, at least).

The stereo version on the CD and vinyl is a “new mix” while the blu-ray offers a Dolby Atmos surround mix. ABKCO are claiming that this is “the first archival concert film to be mixed using” Atmos. There’s also commentary tracks by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Tony Richmond, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, Yoko Ono and Marianne Faithfull, as well as an on-camera interview with Pete Townshend.

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus is released 5 July 2019 via ABKCO.

The Rolling Stones

5. Keith Richards’ Introduction Of The Who – Keith Richards
6. A Quick One While He’s Away – The Who
7. Over The Waves – Circus Band
8. Ain’t That A Lot Of Love – Taj Mahal
9. Charlie Watts’ Introduction Of Marianne Faithfull – Charlie Watts
10. Something Better – Marianne Faithfull
11. Mick Jagger’s and John Lennon’s Introduction Of The Dirty Mac – Mick Jagger &
John Lennon
12. Yer Blues – The Dirty Mac
13. Whole Lotta Yoko – Yoko Ono & Ivry Gitlis with The Dirty Mac
14. John Lennon’s Introduction Of The Rolling Stones – Jumpin’ Jack Flash – The Rolling
Stones
24. Warmup Jam – The Dirty Mac
25. Yer Blues (take 2) – The Dirty Mac
26. Brian Jones’ Introduction of Julius Katchen – Brian Jones
27. de Falla: Ritual Fire Dance – Julius Katchen
28. Mozart: Sonata In C Major-1st Movement – Julius Katchen

Blu-ray/DVD

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (4K FILM)

THE FILM

• Song For Jeffrey – Jethro Tull
  • A Quick One While He’s Away – The Who
  • Ain’t That A Lot Of Love – Taj Mahal
  • Something Better – Marianne Faithfull
  • Yer Blues – The Dirty Mac
  • Whole Lotta Yoko – Yoko Ono & Ivry Gitlis, and The Dirty Mac
  • Jumpin’ Jack Flash – The Rolling Stones
  • Parachute Woman – The Rolling Stones
  • No Expectations – The Rolling Stones
  • You Can’t Always Get What You Want – The Rolling Stones
  • Sympathy for the Devil – The Rolling Stones
  • Salt Of The Earth – The Rolling Stones

EXTRAS

Widescreen Feature, Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (65 min)

Pete Townshend Interview, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (18 min)

The Dirty Mac:

• ‘Yer Blues’ Tk2 Quad Split, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (5:43)

Taj Mahal:

• Checkin’ Up On My Baby, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (5:37)
  • Leaving Trunk, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (6:20)
  • Corinna, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (3:49)

Julius Katchen:

• de Falla: Ritual Fire Dance, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (6:30)
  • Mozart: Sonata In C Major-1st Movement, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (2:27)

Mick & The Tiger/ Luna & The Tiger, Ratio: 4×3 (1:35)

Bill Wyman & The Clowns, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (2:00)

Lennon, Jagger, & Yoko backstage, Aspect Ratio: 4×3 (45sec)

FILM COMMENTARY TRACKS:

Life Under The Big Top (Artists) Featuring: Mick Jagger, Ian Anderson, Taj Mahal, Yoko Ono, Bill Wyman, Keith Richards (65 min)

Framing The Show (Director & Cinematographer) Featuring: Michael Lindsay Hogg, Tony Richmond (65 min)

Musings (artists, writer, fan who was there) Featuring: Marianne Faithfull, David Dalton, David Stark (50 min)

50 responses to Rolling Stones / Rock and Roll Circus four-disc box and 3LP vinyl

1. KevinK says:

Amazon UK price for the four-disc deluxe is finally down to a sensible price today (£52 instead of over £80).

2. Geoff K. says:

The new two cd version does NOT include the large booklet that came with the original release of the cd. Instead, there is a four page booklet containing the barest of information.

3. Emilio Lafarga Giribets says:

On Amazon USA there is a standalone bluray edition for 23€ standard shipping included to Europe. It seems it is the only country with such a release. Mine is on the way.

4. Peter Stevens says:

I was always told that the reason it wasen’t released at the time was that Jagger thought The Who blew The Stones away…..judge for yourself

5. eddie says:

Does anyone have any more information on whether there will be a standalone blu-ray and….

…that UK price for the 4-disc deluxe is outrageous.

Is this a glimpse into a post no-deal Brexit future?

What do we want? A second referendum!

When do we want it? Now!!!

6. Emilio Lafarga Giribets says:

There seems to be a standalone Bluray release on the 28th June, at least in the USA. Can’t find it on other Amazon sites. Can you confirm if it will only be released in America?

7. bruce kelso says:

i will pass on this. will get the taj mahal songs from another source after its issued.

8. dibyaroop says:

Any updates when this 4 disc set will be available in Amazon UK?

9. ed says:

Paul – any idea whether the 2 cd version will have the same words and photos as the deluxe 4 disc version?

10. Electric Sydney says:

I ordered the 4 disc deluxe version from Amazon Germany, and to my surprise it’s already been dispatched! I thought it wasn’t to be released until the end of June.

• The Golden Age Of Secrets says:

Are you sure you`ve ordered the correct version Elactric? I`ve ordered the 4 disc set from Am.Ger. and my order states arriving 3-4 July.

• Scott says:

I’ve pre-ordered from Amazon.de too. Can I ask if you were charged immediately?

I’ve only ever pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk before, and they generally charge on dispatch. But they seem to have taken it straight away this time.

• Richard says:

I’ve ordered it from Amazon Germany and it’s the same as uk, you only get charged when it’s dispatched.
          Strangely though it has now disappeared from their site. My order still exists though. Weird!

• Paul Taylor says:

It will be deducted from your available funds for about a week. I’ve noticed are now doing full-amount preauthorisation now, I suspect that they’re coming into line with other retailers. They’ve maybe been getting hit with a lot of declined payments.
          Anyway, it will appear back in you funds soon enough and the full payment taken on dispatch

• Scott says:

Oh I see, that makes sense! Thanks for letting me know.

Just checked and it’s already been released back to my account!

• Jeff says:

Maybe you mistakenly ordered the old version….lol

11. Daryl says:

Ordinarily I would describe myself as a Stones ‘completist’, but these recent Abkco offerings (Satanic, Beggar’s and now this) have really helped me to address my spending problem.
    I have the audio on CD (which still sounds fine to my ears) and the DVD from a few years back and I am happy with those. It’s all I can do to watch it in the first place, what with Yoko’s warblings sullying the experience.
    As other people on here have said, if The Stones had sorted things with Abkco and allowed them to include the rehearsals and other songs that were performed, then it would have been a sale for me, but I just couldn’t justify spending more money on this again.
    Still, thank you for covering this Paul. I was on the fence before, but now I know what the extras are, I can cross it off my list and look forward to Bridges To Bremen :)

12. Steve says:

The album is currently £44 on the pre-order udiscover music store.

13. Gisabun says:

@Richard: The original DVD will be out-dated. According to abkco.com, the video has a 4K restoration and improved audio plus the extras that are new.

14. Blakey says:

Looks good, but when are ABKCO and the Stones going to stop arsing about and release a ‘Beatles 1+’ style DVD/blu-ray of the 60s stuff? Promos like Have You Seen Your Mother, We Love You, Jumpin Jack Flash, 2000 Light Years, Child of the Moon, that bizarre Street Fighting Man clip off European TV. Not forgetting all the other surviving TV (RSG, Lucky Stars, TOTP (what little is left!), Hollywood Palace, Shindig etc). Most first generation Stones fans will probably be dead before such a thing comes out.

15. ed silverman says:

Does anyone know if the 2-cd deluxe come with the same 44 pages of words and pictures?

16. Greg says:

Rock Cellar mag says that the bluray will be in both 4×3 and 16×9 aspect ratios.

This is good news for me as I really struggle watching old clips that have had so much of the original frame removed while the marketing describes the destruction of that frame as a ‘widescreen upgrade’ and ignores the fact that everyone’s remote has a zoom function.

Dylan’s Trouble No More concert footage is unwatchable – every frame looks odd and every face looks like it’s been squeezed onto the screen. Glad that Rock n Roll Circus is showing a bit more respect to the original footage and people who appreciate it.

17. Gisabun says:

Going to skip the 4 disc edition. Way too expensive. 2CD is find and hopefully the BR.

18. george glazener says:

LOL….”On bag, Yoko Ono”. Or should that read “IN a bag”?

Pity there’s no DVD, did anyone ever film this thing?

• Richard says:

Huh? There’s a DVD in the box or did you mean a separate one? You could always just get the old DVD?

19. Michael says:

I already own the CD and the surround sound DVD of “Rock n Roll Circus,” which I’ve always been pleased with, so only the Blu-ray (if it’s released later by itself) with all the audio-video upgrades would be of interest.

My disappointment about this new deluxe box set is that the extra tracks added do not include more songs played by The Who and Jethro Tull. I have to assume that both of these great bands were restricted to playing one song each, since it was the Rolling Stones’ television special, so they were allowed to monopolize the program, even at the expense of their exceptional guest performers.

At least Taj Mahal, who looks and sounds almost better than the Rolling Stones in this video, was allowed to do a few extra numbers. But regretfully, Yoko Ono doing her conceptual ‘bag-ism’ performance, and later coming out dressed as a witch (as if she is already prompting the public to dislike her), does nothing more than serve as a bizarre, albeit annoying distraction.

All in all, the “Rock n Roll Circus” is a delightful time-piece worth having because it showcases the peak of 1968 rock ‘n’ roll fashion, arrogance and free-wheeling creativity :-)

• Eddie says:

Isn’t The Who’s A Quick One While He’s Away a set of songs rather than just the one?

20. James W says:

What about all the unreleased songs performed by The Rolling Stones? And their warmup songs? I’ve heard rumors of them performing “Route 66”, “Confessin’ The Blues”, Elmore James’ “Yonder Wall”, plus a few alternate takes of songs done on the show. Where are these?

• stevieb says:

James, as I understand, the Stones will not give ABKO permission to put out any previously unreleased material featuring the band, which perhaps explains the absence of unreleased audio on the recent-ish Satanic Majesty’s and Beggar’s Banquet albums. All very frustrating as it would appear from Stones fan forums that there might well have been a lot of extra audio and visual footage recorded, especially since there was a full day of rehearsals before the show itself took place. Frustrating really.

• James W says:

The last new ABKCO Rolling Stones material was the five extra Stones songs on the 40th anniversary “Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out” live box, right? It was a shame about the recent “Beggars Banquet” release. There is so much extra material they could have released. The same with ‘Let It Bleed” as well. Maybe they can come to an agreement for that.

• Beto says:

Y no solo eso sino que también no se han puesto de acuerdo para publicar las versiones en estereo de los primeros álbumes, tomas alternas y poder remezclarlas ese es el santo Grial de los Stones. Mi duda es si hay un momento en el que expire el contrato donde Klein injustamente se apropió de los derechos, ojalá y los Stones pudieran recuperarlos como la familia de Hendrix si lo hizo con todo lo grabado por Jimi.

• Blakey says:

Alternate bits of ‘Circus’ can be seen in the Crossfire Hurricane film. The part where the camera zooms in on Brian is not on the Circus film. Alternative footage of Sympathy For The Devil is also seen in Crossfire. Much like the alternate footage for the Jumpin Jack Flash promos also seen in Crossfire, it will probably be a cold day in hell before any of this treasure is officially released.

21. Simonf says:

I bought this way in 1996 when first released on CD and VHS video. Ah, thems was the day!
    Later upgraded to the DVD but I’m gonna pass on this set. It’s a lot of money just to get a couple of rehearsal songs. The 3 LP set would be nice but since I have now completely run out of room for LP’s that’s also a no no.

22. stevieb says:

Already have the CD and DVD from the late 1990s but this seems to be enough of an upgrade both in content and picture/sound quality that I can quite imagine myself being tempted to buy again, although I may well wait to see how much the standalone blu ray (that I’ve seen mention of elsewhere) costs and then perhaps get both it and the 2-CD version separately.

23. greg says:

• ZoetMB says:

>>>If this was meant to be a TV special, why on Earth would it be widescreen? Are we losing half the picture here? Puzzled, I am.

I’m puzzled also, but assuming it was shot 1.33:1, you wouldn’t be losing half, you’d be losing 25% of the vertical.

But if it was shot on film, it could also have been shot 1.85, 1.75 or 1.66:1. 1.66:1 was more common in Europe than in the U.S. Any of those could have originally had their sides cropped to make it 1.33:1. 1.85 is generally opened up slightly vertically by a few pixels to make it 16:9 (1.78:1). If it was shot full background area, 1.75:1 or 1.66:1 could also have been opened up vertically, so you’d be getting more image, but if it was shot hard matte, you’d crop the vertical of 1.75:1 by just 1.7% to get to 1.78 and you’d crop the vertical of 1.66 by 6.74% to get to 1.78. Those are very minor figures and most movie theater projection is off by at least that much.

24. Michael Fortin says:

This is showing as being released on June 7th in the USA. That would be nice if it’s correct.

25. Paul Whitfield says:

Got the 3 LP set from US as it’s weirdly unavailable already from Amazon UK.

26. Jeff says:

Just ordered 3 sets from Amazon.de for just over $40.53 per set delivered to USA that’s including Global Tracking

• CDP says:

for those in the US considering only one set, my order from amazon.de with cheapest shipping option came to almost $50 USD.

27. Greg says:

I’d buy a standalone blu-ray, but I’m not that fussed about the box set!

28. Richard says:

Interesting. This got mentioned in a book about The Who I was reading recently and the DVD release has been lurking in my Amazon wishlist for a while. Think I might go for this instead. Thankfully it comes with a DVD as I never made the leap to blu-rays.

• Derek Langsford says:

If you have a 1080P TV or better, I’d highly recommend moving up to blu-ray or even 4K. All players are back compatible (play CDs, DVDs, blu-rays) and most will upscale DVD to a higher quality though not as good as native blu-ray. Prices of 4K players and TVs (up to 24 x the resolution of NTSC DVD [8,294,400 vs 345,600 pixels]) have tumbled.

29. Jeff says:

Hi PAUL!!

I see you got my message, just ordered from Amazon Germany super cheap