Roy Orbison / Two great compilations: The Ultimate Collection and Collected

Roy Orbison‘s son Alex  (who SDE spoke to earlier this year) is a fine custodian of his father’s back catalogue and with the help of his brothers (‘Roy’s Boys’) he’s put together a new compilation, The Ultimate Collection, that distills Roy’s entire career into one disc…

No easy task of course, since this 26-track collection takes in material from Sun, Monument and MGM years, as well as Orbison’s late solo career and the Traveling Wilburys!

It’s a fantastic compilation, and the simplicity of one disc (it’s two LPs on the vinyl version) is appealing, however SDE feels obliged at this point to highlight a Roy Orbison ‘Collected’ compilation – part of the ongoing series by Universal  in The Netherlands – that came out back in July.

Collected is a three-disc set, and has also been compiled “in friendly association with Roy’s Boys” with the 73-track overview going right back to the early days of The Teen Kings. It’s very comprehensive and like The Ultimate Collection includes Traveling Wilburys material.

Like other Collected compilations (see Level 42 and Robert Palmer) CD 3 is the ‘rarities’ disc and this disc alone is 24 tracks including duets with KD Lang and Emmylou Harris, audio from the Black and White Night concert, a couple of tracks from the Class of ’55 album with Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis & Carl Perkins and even the She’s A Mystery To Me demo (with Bono) from the Mystery Girl reissue.

Not everyone wants a three-disc ‘best of’ which is the whole point of creating The Ultimate Collection, but Collected is mighty impressive. However, whichever you opt for, you’re unlikely to be disappointed, and vinyl fans will be tempted by the 2LP Ultimate set.

Collected is out now and The Ultimate Collection is released on 28 October 2016.

Roy Orbison

royo_ultimate

CD Edition

1. Oh, Pretty Woman
2. I Drove All Night
3. You Got It
4. Crying
5. Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
6. In Dreams
7. Love Hurts
8. Claudette
9. Blue Bayou
10. Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)
11. Walk On

2LP Edition

Side 1
1. Oh, Pretty Woman
2. I Drove All Night
3. You Got It
4. Crying
5. Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
6. In Dreams
7. Love Hurts

Side 2
1. Claudette
2. Blue Bayou
3. Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)
4. Walk On

4. Heartbreak Radio
5. Not Alone Anymore – The Traveling Wilburys
6. Handle with Care – The Traveling Wilburys

collected

Collected

CD1
1. Trying To Get To You (Roy Orbison & The Teen Kings)
2. Ooby Dooby (Roy Orbison & The Teen Kings)
3. Up Town
4. Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
5. Blue Angel – 1960
6. Running Scared
7. Love Hurts
8. Crying
9. Candy Man
10. Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)
11. The Crowd

11. Heartache
12. Penny Arcade
13. She Cheats On Me
14. Still
15. Easy Way Out
16. Wild Hearts (…Time)
17. Handle With Care (The Traveling Wilburys)
18. You Got It
19. End Of The Line (The Traveling Wilburys)
20. California Blue
21. She’s A Mystery To Me
22. Oh, Pretty Woman – 1987
23. I Drove All Night
24. Heartbreak Radio

CD3
1. That Lovin’ You Feelin’ Again (with Emmylou Harris)
2. Crying (with k.d. lang)
3. Sweet Caroline
4. I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You)
5. Help Me, Rhonda
6. Belinda
7. What’d I Say
8. Sleepy Hollow
9. No Chain At All
10. Mama
11. The Way Is Love
12. Blue Angel (A Black And White Night)
13. Blue Bayou (A Black And White Night)
14. Claudette (A Black And White Night)
15. Indian Summer (with Larry Gatlin & Barry Gibb)
16. One Of The Lonely Ones
17. I Will Always
18. (Love Me Like You Did It) Last Night
19. Coming Home (with Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis & Carl Perkins)
20. Waymore’s Blues (with Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis & Carl Perkins)
21. You May Feel Me Crying
22. Life Fades Away
23. She’s A Mystery To Me – Studio Demo (with Bono)
24. Oh, Pretty Woman (with Johnny Cash)

19 responses to Roy Orbison / Two great compilations: The Ultimate Collection and Collected

1. Simon F says:

Everybody needs some Roy Orbison in their life, and neither of these collections are too shabby for a beginner. My only criticism is that the track listing for the Ultimate Collection is all over the place and not in chronological order.
    But for now I will be sticking with my well worn and much loved vinyl copies of the Sun Collection and double set The Monument Years.

2. CJ Feeney says:

Two of those “Black and White Night” tracks aren’t on my CD of the concert. I only own Orbison’s 80’s output – Mystery Girl, The Wilburys 1 & 3, and the Black and White Night disc, which serves as a greatest hits. Given that the 3 disc is cheaper than the one disc set, it looks like a good buy.

3. richie says:

None of the Amazon sites have prices matching those listed above Paul for the `Collected` CD (Thurs 21st Sep 14:50) but that`s no fault of yours.

Both these collections look great.

I like the Big O but just own a `60`s best of & the `80`s albums, Wilburys also. I was unaware of the `Collected` set but managed to snag it for £12 On Amazon marketplace, the `Ultimate` LP has also been ordered.

4. Robert says:

Ive liked Roy’s music since I first heard it in the early 1980’s as a very young teen. The use of ‘In Dreams’ in David Lynch’s ‘Blue Velvet’ is outstanding. It was amazing how as he got older his voice really didnt change much at all. Everyone should own a best of Roy cd

5. AlexKx says:

VERY exciting as Roy has not had complete career retrospectives done in the past or at least ones that covered The Traveling Wilburys! All of which was fine and cool at the time and up to now I think! Really cool! I wonder will there be an essay, liner notes, photos, and artwork in these releases? The covers do look rather cheap. Neither have any unreleased recordings either right? Well they at least have some things going for them. I suppose these will hold out the public and or demand until some other more proper compilation or compilations are done for him in the years to come, eh?

6. vinyllistener says:

whats the provenance of these recordings ?
    analogue ? digital ?
    will they sound any good ?
    the current lp benchmarks for great sounding roy are the monument all- time greatest hits (original, not the hoffmann) and the rhino for the lonely set.

7. John D says:

Every time a Roy compilation appears I look hopefully for Southbound Jericho Parkway, to no avail.

Anyone know if it’s avaliable on a comp?

• David B says:

Yep …. it’s on two compilations so far-
      1: The Singles Collection (1965-1973) – UMC Released ’89 and
      2: The MGM Years 1965 – 1973 – UMC released 2015 .. a bit pricey though .. but you can download the track individually ..
      Good hunting ..

• Slobodan says:

ALSO, OTHER COMMENTS ABOUT THIS SONG > “I just ordered the only vinyl copy of The Singles Collection for sale on Amazon, since it was only a couple of bucks more than the used CD. It’s a double LP and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it sounds decent. Listening to “Southbound Jericho Parkway” via that YouTube needledrop is a raging bad 1969 acid trip to rival the deepest dread in Joan Didion’s White Album. You’re hearing a terrified, traumatized lost soul reciting an inverted story of the horrible things that recently happened to his family, except that instead of his wife and two kids dying, it’s the divorced father who’s killed. Chilling.” > “I remember participating in a discussion about that song about ten years ago on an online music forum. One of the forum members sent me a cassette with “Southbound Jericho Freeway” on it. I was interested in it because the song was described as being Jimmy Webb influenced.” > “You have to remember that just 6 months before it was released, his two eldest sons were killed in a fire. Who knows what state of mind Orbison was in at the time.” > “I’m listening to the track for the first time now. I can hear the Neon Philharmonic similarities. I would think that anyone who likes it would like The Yard Went On Forever by Richard Harris too (follow-up to MacArthur Park in 1969, the same year as the Neon Philharmonic’s biggest hit).” > “Really good song, BTW. Excepting the classics (“Only The Lonely”, “Crying” and others), it’s probably one of my favorite Orbison tracks, weird as it is. It’s totally unique.”> ” I believe the title The Singles Collection (1965-1973) is the only CD that includes Southbound Jericho Freeway. It is stereo and sounds very nice -remastered by Denis Drake” /this previous INFO dated in 2012/.

• Slobodan says:

INFO > “I’m perversely fascinated by a song from Roy Orbison’s Polygram singles collection: “Southbound Jericho Freeway.” It’s unlike anything he ever recorded– a seven minute song with lots of different sections– and it’s really morbid, about a man who crashes his car and how people in his life react to it. Yet it was apparently an A-side. Does anyone know the story behind this thing– Was someone really thinking it could be a hit? My only guess is that he was shooting for a Harry Chapin type of record.”/by Brett/ > “It was the B-side of MGM K 14039 (released 4/69) – the A-side was “My Friend”. According to the Colin Escott notes for the Polydor singles collection, “Southbound Jericho Parkway” was the the first thing Roy did with new producer Don Grant after Jim Vinneau relinqished the role.” /by Mal/.>”I think I read that the song started out as a regular 2-3 minute length but Roy felt compelled to complete the story so the writer’s obliged. I don’t know where I read this so don’t take it as gospel. “/others/>”This song is also discussed here, along with entertaining articles about some other forgotten psychedelic gems: http://www.psychedeliccentral.com/journalsarticles/royorbisonsdominic.html ” /by John/…etc… So special and irregular song of Roy! HERE:
      Southbound Jericho Parkway – Roy Orbison (ORIGINAL MONO VERSION) >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMI444loEYw
      Regards!

• Slobodan says:

Southbound Jericho Parkway – Roy Orbison
      ♫ A 7-minute-long epic telling a story about death. ♫

8. David B says:

Thanks Paul .. the “Collected” one looks great .. and in chronological order .. couldn’t ask for more .. now that’s one for my Christmas list ..

9. Slobodan says:

* ROY ORBISON * THE OTHER SIDE >
    I just don’t know what are doing Roy’s sons? Roy’s Barbara (late) promised, then nothing, also there are some other promises -still nothing… No his gravestone, no postage stamp (yet).. USA postal office promised in the meantime, but… More Roy’s official records -more unknown for us too – are STILL somewhere in vaults… ETC… So sad! Roy was and is still the best! But, what we can think, how he will be remembered, reading this…
    > Also, if JOHN D wish only audio of “Southbound Jericho Parkway – Roy Orbison” > ♫ A 7-minute-long epic telling a story about death ♫ – please, let me know on mail darko47darko@yahoo.com
    Slobodan

10. John D says:

Thanks Slobodan. I first heard it on Youtbue and was amazed by its power. I’ll keep hunting for one of those compilations – I’m not a download guy. If I can’t hold it, it’s not really mine ☺