Rush / Hemispheres 40th anniversary

5.1 mix • 2015 remaster on CD for the first time • Unreleased live audio

Canadian rock band Rush are to put out a 40th anniversary edition of their 1978 album Hemispheres. The reissue will be available in three physical formats, including a super deluxe edition.

The follow-up to 1977’s A Farewell to Kings is being reissued as a 2CD deluxe, a 3LP vinyl edition and a six-disc super deluxe and features new artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme. The box set features the 2015 remaster of the album on CD for the first time and on the other CD a previously unreleased and “newly restored” bonus content consisting of the band’s June 1979 Pinkpop Festival performance in the Netherlands. ‘2112’ on this CD is from a different concert (apparently the recording engineer on that day missed the a few minutes of this song!).

The third optical disc in the super deluxe is a blu-ray audio with a 5.1 surround version of the album, newly mixed from the multi-tracks (not a Steven Wilson mix, SW has confirmed). The blu-ray also includes four bonus videos.

The box set also features three vinyl records which effectively repeat the content of the two CDs and offers a 40-page hardcover book with an extensive essay by Rob Bowman. Additionally you get a replica 1979 tour programme, a poster, iron-on patch, VIP pass etc.

The other two physical formats are standalone versions of the two-CD from the box and the 3LP vinyl edition. The vinyl comes with a 24-page booklet and an edited (!) version of the Rob Bowman notes from the super deluxe. It includes h a digital download.

In terms of cost, proceed with caution on the 3LP vinyl since the prices are all over the place. The super deluxe edition doesn’t appear to be available via Amazon UK right now, but shipped from the US it comes in at around £125 (including ‘import fees deposit’) which seems reasonable given that it’s about £160 on Amazon Italy.

Hemispheres is reissued on 16 November 2018 via UMe/Anthem/ole label group.

Rush

3. Something For Nothing*

LP 3 – SIDE F
Live in Arizona – November 20, 1978

1. 2112*

57 responses to Rush / Hemispheres 40th anniversary

1. Charles says:

Just received the 40th anniversary package. Looks great and look forward to listening to the various formats. Sadly the orginal poster (live shots of Geddy, Neil and Alex) is missing from this package…but hey you get the press/extra pass for Pinkpop (lol) and a new poster incorporating the new artwork. Anyway….it’s the music that does the trick!

2. Peter Anderson says:

Currently £170 for the SDE on Amazon UK – can’t imagine anyone paying that for what appears to be a fundamentally flawed product.

3. The Geordie Expat says:

Looks like I’ll be waiting for the price drop too.
    Don’t know why they aren’t using the UK Hemispheres tour programme in the SDE like they did in AFTK. Words and Pictures isn’t really a tour programme – I bought it at the Bingley Hall gigs in ’79.
    They also missed out on a couple of opportunities for goodies: the US imports of Hemispheres came with a 3 panel poster, why not include a reproduction? I seem to remember an import on red vinyl too. Initial quantities of the UK version came with a sticker on the cover, if you mailed in the sticker with a cheque for £2.50 you got a T-shirt with a glittery version of the star man logo – my youngest daughter wears the vintage original to school ! (the logo is barely visible these days). Instead we get a crummy iron on patch for £100+.

• Andrei says:

It does have a UK Tour book replica. But missed opportunity on a few things

• Tonk says:

Yeah – there was a red vinyl Hemispheres . . don’t think it was stickered as such either . . my friend took his back because he wanted black!
      Words and Pics – wasn’t aware they were sold at gigs – got Volume 1 and 2 from the publishers . . had to send cheques . . .

4. Neil says:

As much as i love this album the decision to not have the Blu-ray as a stand alone is just pure greed and let’s be honest it’s not as if they need the money. The live album is a big let down in the sense why could they not have included the full version of Cygnus X-1 Book II instead of yet another live version of 2112.

5. Tonk says:

God can you imagine back in 1978, buying the album, becoming totally obsessed by it, and then all of a sudden there’s all this stuff outwith the ouvre of the album? All these extra goodies to distract you from the stand alone bit of plastic . . .
    I’ll stick with my original vinyl and 1980’s cd – I don’t need the glitter . . . they sound fine!

6. Elizabeth Ursula Hirst says:

Amazon UK £150 at the moment. Will they be price matching What Records?

7. David Shorten says:

Richard Chycki is deaf as a post. I`ll assume it will be murdered and sound like crap.
    I hope I`m wrong but, this guy`s track record reeks for itself :-).

• Julian H says:

His mixing on Snakes & Arrows was a lot better than what Nick R. did on Clockwork Angels though, and the pre-album single mixes of the first two CA songs were also mixed far better than the mess that is the finished version.

Though I agree that there is no point in letting him do the 5.1 when you could have SW doing it as per the previous album…

8. Mathew Lauren says:

RUSH @ Backstage.com has confirmed that the multis were found to make a 5.1 mix, but that’s the only good news…

Rushisaband.com has confirmed that Richard Chycki is at the 5.1 helm, again. I hope he took SOME notes from Steven Wilson. SW’s “AFTK” 5.1 was the best, RUSH 5.1 surround, thus far imho — save for the fact that SW chose to put the SAME main-vox in EVERY channel AND bury the supernal, roto-tom flourish/fill (that belonged over the music) at the end of the “Closer to the Heart” 5.1 mix.

The 5.1 mix of “Closer to the Heart,” just couldn’t afford to be bad, just as many surround-sound enthusiasts felt that the (“official”) “Imagine” (song) 5.1 had to be “on it” to set a tone for the rest of the “Imagine” Ultimate Edition 5.1 presentation. Alas the “official” 5.1 mix isn’t so great imho, but at least there’s BR-A #2’s “Imagine” Take 10 alternate (more immersive, but “naked”) 5.1 mix to help me feel like I just didn’t waste MORE money on “bad” Beatles / Beatles solo 5.1’s, again!

These 2 “official” 5.1 songs just couldn’t afford to be “bad,” as they set a tone for their respective 5.1 albums’. “Closer…” 5.1 as described here and the “official,” “Imagine” 5.1, because it was a very tepid, 5.1 mix. I say aloud, once again: “Either embrace 5.1 properly (that is to say: with tacit industry-wide standards) or don’t do it!”

Back to RUSH, this was easily RUSH’s best 5.1 release as of 2017, but easily SW’s only 5.1 “miss” imho, thus far — and only one song at that!

[Side Note: Regardless, of whether it’s “up” for a 2019 Immersive Audio Grammy, Jethro Tull’s 2018 5.1 RE of “HEAVY HORSES” (new shoes edt. cd/dvd 5.1 bookset) is the most immersive, discrete and balanced 5.1, read: BEST surround-presentation to date in Rock/Pop/Jazz imho, no matter the multi-channel configuration! It is also a SW 5.1, so get a copy while they last. You’ll appreciate the mix, even if you don’t completely like the songs, as I do — you’ll thank yourself in the end.]

I know Alex was involved with the “AFTK” 5.1 mix of the album. Did 5.1-mixing the “Closer to the Heart” (song) so differently from the rest of the 5.1 songs on the “AFTK” (5.1) album become a compromise, and then a May/Scheiner-esque “BoRhap” 5.1 impasse-issue?

5.1-mixing “Closer…” differently, definitely tainted the “AFTK” 5.1 album for me. Did it spoil SW’s opportunity to work with RUSH again?

Regardless, mixing that ONE song (so differently) spoiled it for me, but not nearly as much as how the “official” surround mixes for “Imagine” 5.1 were tainted for me, by tepid, surround presentations.

Now, has Chycki learned how to finally mix 5.1, correctly?

He didn’t bury the roto-tom in his 5.1 version of “Closer…,” but he also left it in the right-surround channel, only! In fact, Richard rarely moves drum flourishes or fills from channel to channel à la Wilson, and Chycki ALWAYS puts the main-vox in EVERY channel. Yuck!

[*with very few exceptions, unless there are separate voice takes adding to the depth of main-vox presentation (think: “Songs from the Wood” 5.1 and quad), all main-vox (even double-tracked vocals) should be (front) “centred.”]

I’m really surprised RUSH returned to Chycki. I thought SW had a decent relationship with RUSH. My hope is that this was NOT about “scheduling” or any other issues, but rather that Richard Chycki lobbied RUSH after hearing better surround-efforts since his last 5.1 mixes — and he simply wants to “redeem” himself.

Regardless, I’m not “biting” on a Richard Chycki 5.1 (especially at this kinda STREET DATE a$k), until I hear that he’s learned how to mix 5.1 OR the price is halved — and I’m leaning more toward the latter!

• Gisabun says:

@Mathew Lauren:

One needs to wonder about the release of the 5.1 mix. Surely the band heard the mix for approval. And if they are smart they would get opinions of 5.1 mix experts [don’t have to be mixers but more like those who can hear the quality of the mix].
      SW can’t be everywhere especially with his touring plus the release [finally] of a recent concert.

9. Charlie Waffles says:

I will purchase the 2 cd set with a t-shirt from the Rush store. I agree with everybody else Rush should have included the entire live performance on the second cd.

I am also hoping Rush will make the Blu-Ray disc available separately.

10. Dan T. says:

Add me to the list of people who would buy the Blu-ray if it were stand-alone, but who won’t buy ANYTHING because getting the Blu-ray requires buying EVERYTHING…

No sale.

11. Mick says:

Add my voice to the rabble:
    Just want the BluRay!

12. Karl says:

Compared to the Imagine release this is a total bust. Too bad but not enough material for me.

• Gisabun says:

@Karl

“Too bad but not enough material for me”… Ummm. The band records what it needs for an album and not much more. Unsure if they even have real demos. So other than live material, what are you expecting?
      I would guess they’d want to saver a full concert [not festivals] if available for a different release.

13. Paul Wren says:

It’s interesting that once agian the UK vinyl edition is almost twice the price of it elsewhere in Germany. Lord knows why, but at least Paul highlights the cheapest prices as well!

14. Grrrrrr says:

€30 + €4.50 shipping from Germany and currently £82 on UK Amazon for the triple vinyl.
    FFS. Ordered from JPC.

15. Francois says:

The 5.1 mix in the farewell boxset was really good. I love the box in itself, it is large, well made and the content is really “premiumed” by the container.
    then again I am a vinyl aficionados. I understand that for people who do not have a turntable, a 2CD+bluray édition should have been made available. They clearly miss a large part of the target audience by bypassing the CD/BR option.

• Biittner says:

I already have the album on CD, and am not interested in the live CD, so I’d like to be able to purchase just the blu ray disc alone. Why can’t bands offer them separately so that fans can enjoy the surround sound version of an album without forking out a mint for a deluxe set?

• Francois says:

That is also an option which should exist, even if it comes months later (like they do with the Alan Parsons Project boxes, when the BR Audio is released stand alone a few months after the box). Unfortunately this very good idea which was the Blu-ray pure audio format is nearly dead. They just could not identify the target audience, completely missed the point with 85% of the first few releases (at least in France) and decided to drop it all instead of listening to what was asked from the people who buy these BR (for example, we asked for original masters in HD, with an added new 5.1 mix and whenever possible a new stereo mix or at worst a new remaster, everything in one place, among other things..)
        Kscope (and a few independant labels) still releases good BR audio, but when it comes to major labels (or affiliated labels), we all here seem to have only our eyes left to cry

16. Derek Langsford says:

I have the 2112 and Moving Pictures CD+Blu-ray sets and would have appreciated similar releases for AFTK and Hemspheres. But I also have the Sector Sets and don’t want vinyl (3 LPs FFS) and can’t afford to spend another fortune on, or store another big box, just to get the 5.1. Very disappointing Universal changed course to these bloated SDEs. Glad the Beatles are keeping analog and digital formats separate. I am sure the Beatles boxed sets will sell more than they would otherwise because of their eminently sensible and consumer-friendly strategy. Get a clue Universal!

17. Gisabun says:

So, at this point, no stand-alone BR here, which I think most of the comments here have the same reaction. WTF?
    As for the live tracks, bootleg is out there but I’m sure this is nice and cleaner. Maybe you have the original 2112 track instead of the replacement.
    Overall, I have yet to buy any rush box set [except for the Rush album on vinyl] as they are just not worth what you are getting for what you are paying for.
    At least no cover versions this time! [True, just 4 tracks to work with.]
    For me something like what Marillion has done is better. “Box” [or book?] set consisting of 4 CDs and a BR in a book and a separate release on vinyl. Combined way cheaper than most box sets.

18. Ian Whiteford says:

I agree with a lot of the comments here. Being a huge Rush fan have pretty much everything in different formats. If I had the cash spare I would highly likely buy the SDE but alas, I do not.
    It looks a lovely set, as did the AFTK box but the 2 cd set would be my likely choice. I agree that a third disc including the 5.1 mix would have been great move. The only slightly disappointing thing for me is that the Pinkpop set is short and I would have preferred to have a show that included more of the Hemispheres tracks. Oh well you can’t have everything!

19. Geoff G. says:

Of note, I’ve noticed a few people complain about A Farewell to Kings deluxe. Just an FYI, there was a blu-ray audio release of that album about six month prior to the SDE. So, if you wanted just the blu-ray you could, and still can, buy it separately. Unfortunately, Hemispheres does not have a separate blu-ray release.

• Gisabun says:

@Geoff G.

Except the BR mix on the stand-alone was different than the box set mix and the latter had more than just the audio.

• Jon S says:

Pretty sure the standalone Blu-ray of AFTK is from the Sectors box and is a mix by Richard Chycki, as opposed to the Steven Wilson mix in the SDE. It is meant to be quite good though.

• Vince says:

but the first Farewell to Kings blu-ray is not the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix

20. Rik Kidd says:

Another bonehead decision, to force people who badly want the Surround mix into taking a bunch of vinyl that we neither want nor need. Fortunately in this case it’s only Rush, so easy for me to pass up.

• Gisabun says:

@Rik Kidd:
      Yup. Will settle for the 2CD for now. Don’t need the vinyl. Don’t need the book and stuff that I may see oncv.

21. Geoff G says:

Unfortunately, it’s too expensive for me. Hopefully down the road they release the blu-ray audio by itself.

But, you got to hand it to Rush. This is now, what the sixth? album they’ve now released in blu-ray audio (I have four). Way to go!

22. Adam says:

This along with ‘A Farewell to Kings’ is my favourite Rush album, but I only want the 5. 1 mix, nothing else, so it’s a no from me at this price. I also thought I’d read in the past that the multi tracks for this were missing, and that’s why there had been no 5.1 release?

• Jon S says:

I heard that the multis were missing as well. Given that there seems to be no name attached to the 5.1 mix, I’m wondering if it’s just some processed pseudo 5.1 mix, rather than a genuine effort. I hope not.

• Biittner says:

I love this album and am sure that the 5.1 mix sounds incredible. Like others, I’d love to have the opportunity to buy just the blu ray disc and nothing else.

23. Graham says:

Another shitty release from Rush. I have no interest in the vinyl, but need to pay through the nose for it to get the Blu-ray. An easy skip.

24. Scott Sparks says:

If they would’ve included the 5.1 mix with the 2 CD’s I would’ve preorder without hesitation but instead I’m going to skip this release all together

25. Bigeyedfisher says:

I’ve posted this on Twitter to rush, so upset they didn’t include a full live version of Book II Hemispheres on this live cd, but included yet another 2112 release. So stupid. Wanted a live full version of Book II for so long and thought they would put it out on this! Crazy right?!!

• I agree. The Tucson Nov. 20 1978 set has the complete Cygnus X-1 saga. If they are using the 2112 performance from that, why not the whole show? Perhaps they will put that on the Permanent Waves Box !?!?

• Funky Meadows says:

The complete Cygnus X-1 Books I and II were included on the Tucson Arizona set. Why not include the whole show and not just 2112. Will we have to buy the “Permanent Waves” box to get a complete Cygnus / Hemispheres performance???

26. DPmab says:

One of my favorite albums, but i would have preferred a complete concert from the Hemispheres tour instead of the PinkPop recordinf, which is way too short. Can’t wait for the next two anniversary releases.

27. Regan Judson says:

A must buy for me. My only gripe with the Farewell to Kings set was that there was no label or graphics of any type on the spine of the box. Seems trite I know, but several of these Super Deluxe sets have done this (Queen, Nazareth, Small Faces, etc…) and they are not very user friendly when lined up on a shelf. Drives me crazy.

28. movement says:

This is one to be patient on. I ended up getting A Farewell to Kings for £50 less than the list price. It was still a lot, but £125 is a non-starter.

29. Michael Donnan says:

Thanks Paul for doing this feature for us Rush fans. Hemispheres is one of Rush’s greatest albums (I can almost call it my favourite but no, I can’t, as they produced so many really excellent albums). As much as I would love the SDE, or even the 3-LP set, I may be happy enough with the 2 cd version as it has the 2015 re-mastered CD plus the bonus content concert (both of which are things I don’t have). For anyone who likes a bit of Rush but hasn’t got Hemispheres (is that even possible?) I can’t recommend it highly enough…

I agree with others about waiting for a price drop in the LP’s especially – it may take a while but they should come down a good bit eventually – I remember seeing the 40th anniversary LP set of 2112 for as little as £10 in a sale on-line. Hurt a bit as I paid £30 when it came out.

30. MJ says:

I love the moaning about greed, etc. God love Rush. The Farewell to Kings box was amazing. And Hemispheres will surely be terrific as well. Been waiting for the 5.1 (only wished it was a SW remix, but cest la vie) for ages.

Too pricey? Don’t buy it. But don’t call it greed. Greed is all of the free downloads and streaming that artists don’t get paid for. Enjoy APple Music or a $5 CD is you don’t want to buy this box – I will happily buy this one!

• Paul Kent says:

Not greed?

2-CD version – natch.
      3-LP version – but, of course.
      Standalone BD – don’t mind if I… wait, what? No BD?
      2-CD / 3-LP / BD box – I like vinyl/CDs* and surround mixes but don’t want the CDs/vinyl*, however, I’m forced into purchasing an unwanted format to get the BD. If only there was a simple solution to this problem that would placate everyone….

Not greedy? Possibly not. But, definitely cynical, calculated, cruel, disrespectful and wholly unnecessary.

…oh, and greedy!

31. J says:

AWESOME!!!!
    The last one (Farewell to Kings) came in a 3 disc pack with a 5.1 mix which is perfect. Going forward I hope the guys do this as it works best for most fans. I don’t need the Super version of these.
    J

• Gordon Downs says:

I don’t think the 5.1 mix was available outside the SDE – hopefully I’m wrong as I won’t be buying Hemispheres SDE at £100+ just for the 5.1 mix!
      IF they did sell a 3 disc version including the 5.1 mix I expect sales would be plentiful – I live in hope!

• Neil says:

There was no 5.1 mix included on the 3 disc Farewell to Kings.

32. Peter Anderson says:

But actually looks as though they only played the Prelude and Sphere sections presumably as was a mixed festival audience: Full setlist – Anthem, A Passage to Bangkok, Xanadu, The Trees, Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude, Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere, Closer to the Heart, La Villa Strangiato (Filmed for the DVD Beyond The Lighted Stage), 2112, Working Man, In the Mood, Drum Solo, Something for Nothing.

33. Peter Anderson says:

Been anticipating the details of this one. Is just the closing section of the Hemispheres title track included from the live show? It would appear so from the LP track listing – if so that’s disappointing. Will await similar price drop as Farewell to Kings superdeluxe which bottomed at around £80.

• C.C. says:

Good strategy Peter. Maybe set up a pool guessing where the price will bottom and the closest one wins the title in question? That would be one way to skirt the high cost.

34. C.C. says:

All I want is the 5.1 blu-ray but not for $130! Break it out of that package of unwanted duplicity and I’m a buyer otherwise it’s no deal. These package prices are ridiculous and reflect how greed finds a way to work itself into everything in this world.

35. Ralf says:

My thoughts on this are similar to a lot of other super deluxe reissues these days.

This is a fantastic album.
    That’s why I have it in multiple formats already for many many years. So what do I get for my 150ish quid this time?
    A live album that I’m sure most Rush fans will have as a bootleg (me included).
    5.1 mix; excellent but 150,- for that? ….No, I don’t think so.

So who do they aim for?
    I don’t think anyone who hears about Rush for the first time will buy the sde.

I´ve already passed on the Farewell to kings sde even I would love to listen to the 5.1 mix of it.

But if you don’t own Hemispheres go for it. Its great.

• Keith Lambert says:

@Ralf You hit the nail firmly on the head there!

I know that this is a Hemispheres thread but if it helps, the AFTK 5.1 from Sectors is fantastic!