Samantha Fox / Play It Again, Sam: The Fox Box / four-disc collection

Early eighties glamour model Samantha Fox launched a musical career in 1986 that was surprisingly successful, for about four years. Her first single Touch Me (I Want Your Body) was a top ten hit virtually everywhere (including America) and reached number one in six countries. She had seven further top 40 hits in the UK and more success stateside. Cherry Red are preparing a 2CD+2DVD box set for July release, called Play It Again, Sam: The Fox Box.

Fox signed to Jive Records in 1986 and hits included the aforementioned Touch Me which was the title track of her debut album. For her second long-player (Samantha Fox) she worked with Stock Aitken Waterman who delivered a decent pop hit with Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now and Full Force, who were perhaps best known for their work with Lisa Lisa.

Sam would work with both SAW and Full Force again and in the end she released four albums for Jive – all of which have already been reissued as 2CD deluxe editions by Cherry Red in 2012.

For this new box set CD 1 delivers every single released for Jive, plus an unheard track “direct from Sam’s personal archive”, You’ve Got Me Believing In Make Believe. The second CD contains various rarities, with plenty of seven-inch edits.

The remaining two discs are both DVDs, with the videos on disc three and ‘bonus footage’ on the final disc which includes interviews from the day and alternative and unedited videos.

This looks like a clamshell box affair and comes with a double-sided poster, a set of button badges and a “picture-packed” 32-page booklet.

Play It Again, Sam: The Fox Box is released on 28 July 2017.

Samantha Fox

Play It Again Sam ~ The Fox Box

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 51.58
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 29.99

Disc: 1

1. TOUCH ME (I WANT YOUR BODY)
  2. DO YA DO YA (WANNA PLEASE ME)
  3. HOLD ON TIGHT (RADIO MIX)
  4. Iâ™M ALL YOU NEED (SINGLE RE-MIX)
  5. NOTHINGâ™S GONNA STOP ME NOW
  6. I SURRENDER (TO THE SPIRIT OF THE NIGHT) (7❠MIX)
  7. I PROMISE YOU (GET READY)
  8. TRUE DEVOTION (NEW MIX)
  9. NAUGHTY GIRLS (NEED LOVE TOO) (SINGLE EDIT)
  10. LOVE HOUSE (7❠EDIT)
  11. I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU
  12. I WANNA HAVE SOME FUN (7❠EDIT)
  13. (HURT ME! HURT ME!) BUT THE PANTS STAY ON (RADIO EDIT ⓠSAM TALKS)
  14. ANOTHER WOMAN (HARDING/CURNOW 7❠VERSION)
  15. GO FOR THE HEART – SAMANTHA FOX with SOX
  16. LET ME BE FREE
  17. THE REASON IS YOU (RADIO EDIT)
  18. SANTA MARIA – SAMANTHA FOX with DJ MILANO
  19. ANGEL WITH AN ATTITUDE
  20. CALL ME – SAMANTHA FOX with SABRINA
  21. YOUâ™VE GOT ME BELIEVING IN MAKE BELIEVE (BONUS TRACK)

Disc: 2

1. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER
  2. CONFESSION
  3. LOVIN♠DONâ™T GROW ON TREES (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
  4. ALL I WANNA DO… with Full Force
  5. LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY (HIP HOP MIX)
  6. EVEN IN THE DARKEST HOURS (7❠EDIT)
  7. LOVE HOUSE (7❠REMIX)
  8. I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU (SPECIAL SINGLE EDIT)
  9. TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE (ORIGINAL 12❠MIX)
  10. THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL
  11. LA ISLA BONITA
  12. A QUESTION OF HONOUR
  13. MIDNIGHT LOVER
  14. I GIVE MYSELF TO YOU (PETE HAMMOND REMIX)
  15. TOUCH ME 2016 (RADIO EDIT)
  16. ITâ™S YOU (NICK HARVEY CLUB MIX)
  17. GIMME SHELTER – SAMANTHA FOX with HAWKWIND
  18. THE BEST IS YET TO COME (7âMIX)

Disc: 3

1. TOUCH ME (I WANT YOUR BODY)
  2. DO YA DO YA (WANNA PLEASE ME)
  3. HOLD ON TIGHT
  4. NOTHINGâ™S GONNA STOP ME NOW
  5. I SURRENDER (TO THE SPIRIT OF THE NIGHT)
  6. I PROMISE YOU (GET READY)
  7. TRUE DEVOTION
  8. NAUGHTY GIRLS (NEED LOVE TOO)
  9. LOVE HOUSE
  10. I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU
  11. I WANNA HAVE SOME FUN
  12. HURT ME! HURT ME! (BUT THE PANTS STAY ON)
  13. ANOTHER WOMAN
  14. JUST ONE NIGHT
  15. GO FOR THE HEART – SAMANTHA FOX with SOX
  16. LET ME BE FREE
  17. THE REASON IS YOU
  18. SANTA MARIA – SAMANTHA FOX with DJ MILANO
  19. ANGEL WITH AN ATTITUDE
  20. CALL ME – SAMANTHA FOX with SABRINA

Disc: 4

1. ROCKIN♠WITH MY RADIO
  2. I SURRENDER (TO THE SPIRIT OF THE NIGHT) (UNEDITED VERSION)
  3. NAUGHTY GIRLS (NEED LOVE TOO) (CLUB VERSION)
  4. LOVE HOUSE (DANCE MIX)
  5. I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU (ALTERNATIVE VERSION)
  6. ALL I WANNA DOâ| – SAMANTHA FOX with FULL FORCE
  7. TOUCH ME – SAMANTHA FOX with GÃ1/4nther
  8. ROCKIN♠WITH MY RADIO (BEHIND THE SCENES)
  9. 1987 INTERVIEW
  10. 1989 INTERVIEW
  11. 1991 INTERVIEW
  12. CALL ME (BEHIND THE SCENES) – SAMANTHA FOX with SABRINA

53 responses to Samantha Fox / Play It Again, Sam: The Fox Box / four-disc collection

1. bertielego says:

We love Cherry Red releases, don’t we?

2. Francis says:

Prefer the 2CD Deluxe Editions by Cherry Red released in 2012, so will not be purchasing this although it looks a really nice set. Not particulary intersted in music DVDs as very rarely watch them, so would not gain much from buying this collection being that 2 of the discs are DVDs rather than CDs packed with more tracks. I prefer to listen to music than sit and watch it.

• Klaus says:

With Samantha Fox i much prefer to watch her than to listen to her music ;-))

• Francis says:

You do realise she is a Lesbian?

• vikerii says:

This is where someone would say “Not if she had met me!” LOL.

I had her first three albums back in the day. Her voice is paper thin, but her albums always had enjoyable tunes. Definitely were a guilty pleasure.

• Klaus says:

I do. I have no problem with watching her despite of that.

3. Phil G. says:

Full disclosure – buying this set just for the DVDs!

4. tom says:

No comment on the music but I love the track titles for disc 1; they are a collection of clichés strung together…almost as if they were generated by computer!

5. CDManiac says:

The Fox Box. LMAO!!!!!!!!! Love it!!

6. Francis says:

I am surprised this Cherry Red up-and-coming release has not been mentioned more so than the Samantha Fox collection.

‘Justhipper: The Complete Sire & Blanco y Negro Recordings 1986-1988’ – James

JUSTHIPPER is the first compilation encompassing all of James’ recordings for the Warners group across the mid-to-late 80s. Both albums have been remastered and are joined by all of the band’s non-album singles A’s and B’s and different mixes. The package ends with a rare, promotional-only interview with the band.

Housed in a deluxe foldout Digipak, this is the ultimate tribute to the early years of James.

DISC ONE: ‘STUTTER’

12.YAHO (Single Version)
    13. MOSQUITO
    14.LEFT OUT OF HER WILL
    15.NEW NATURE
    16.WHAT FOR (Climax Mix)
    17.ISLAND SWING
    18.JAMES WHO? A TALK WITH… (INTERVIEW)

7. tom says:

Francis- now THAT is more like it. I will definitely get this….cheers or the info!

8. HS says:

This has been a long time in the making – looks good (although they could have picked a better pic for the cover). Glad to see it is finally coming, I pre-ordered as soon as I saw. Thrilled about the DVDs, since I already have the expanded editions of her albums. But there is still quite a lot of material on the CD’s I don’t already have.

9. Boaz Halachmi says:

Cherry Red’s site says she’s finishing a new album… And an autobiography.

10. Francis says:

Another up-and-coming Cherry Red release for all you 1980s punk and new wave fans.

‘He Who Dares Wins: 5CD Deluxe Edition’ – Theatre Of Hate (release date: July 26th 2017)

Unavailable for many years on CD, the two ‘HE WHO DARES WINS’ albums from 1981 have now finally been treated to a deluxe edition. Alongside the original albums, which have been remastered, are the two reunion shows issued under the He Who Dares Wins banner and a bonus disc featuring a previously unissued live concert from the Westworld tour.

Housed in a clamshell box, the package also boasts within the booklet a raft of illustrations and fresh sleeve-notes penned by Mojo’s Pat Gilbert drawn from interviews with band members.

DISC ONE:

11. LEGION
    12. JUDGEMENT HYMN,
    13. INCINERATOR
    14. PROPAGANDA
    15. DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE WESTWORLD

DISC FIVE:
    HE WHO DARES WINS V: BRUSSELS – MAY 1982 (previously unissued)
    1. THE WAKE
    2. AMERICANOS
    3. THE HOP
    4. BLACK MADONNA
    5. SOLUTION
    6. LOVE IS A GHOST
    7. EASTWORLD
    8. NERO
    9. JUDGEMENT HYMN
    10. 63
    11. INCINERATOR
    12. DREAMS OF THE POPPY
    13. LEGION

11. johnny says:

“You’ve Got Me Believing In Make Believe” is a great title, if nothing else : ) PSB would be proud of that one…

• Dimitris Voulgaris says:

This is one is an amazing song around 1999, written by Sam. Reminds a lot the style of Natalie Imbruglia in TORN.

12. Charles Christopher says:

“(Hurt Me! Hurt Me!) But The Pants Stay On”????

I’m sorry, but you can’t possibly write a song as good as that title.

• mike says:

It is the greatest song title ever!

• HS says:

I laughed for an hour when I first heard that song (and saw the video at the same time, no less!).

Sam always had some humor for herself, but I think she was against this being the lead single into her fourth album. Apparently the label insisted on it and added extra sound effects etc to make it more of an S&M themed song…?

• Francis says:

I say similar on a rgular basis but with pants definitely off.

13. Kauwgompie says:

This is one of those instances that we have seen before here where people denigrate 80’s pop music. Even though she didn’t write any of the music and doesn’t play an instrument (as far as I know), her hits are infectious, happy and most have killer hooks. So when Cherry Red released her first 4 albums as 2cd deluxe versions with tons of remixes I gladly bought the first 3. Mainly for the remixes.
    This release is really scraping the bottom. There are only two newly found period remixes: Too Late To Say Goodbye (12″ Version) and Love To Love You Baby (Hip Hop Mix). The rest are her new songs or 7″ edits, both I’m not interested in. Jason Donovan’s version is better and once you know Donna Summer’s original, Sam’s version is almost laughable. All in all this box doesn’t offer anything interesting other than the DVD’s. And yes it’s pure pleasure watching Sam, there is no denying that. She was gorgeous and as far as I can see, she still is.

• Klaus says:

I sure don’t want to denigrate 80s pop music (i was born in 1964), i just don’t think that Samantha Fox plays in the same league as for instance Tears For Fears, A-ha, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw etc. (to name but a few). I even still own SFs first two longplayers on vinyl, but, to be honest, if she never had recorded any song after Touch Me, the world of 80s pop wouldn’t have noticed.

14. Matt NYC says:

will be getting this for the DVDs. love collecting music videos and concerts on DVDs. let’s hope they do right by her. the world needs to see her big…. um…. hair in remastered glory.

15. Steve R says:

Unbelievably, she appeared on stage with Hawkwind at the Brixton Academy at their big 30th Anniversary show back in 2000. She sang Nik Turner’s classic ‘Master (Mistress) of the Universe’ A low point in Hawkwind’s career. It was embarrassing. Dave Brock would never have had her sing one of his songs I bet. Anything to just piss of Turner.

16. Saar Freedman says:

well I can only echo what others stated , not too many “lost Gems” here and it does appear cherry red have already used all the vault items in the expanded sets of her albums

Touch Me 2016 was released on a limited edition cd single and vinyl last year ( Vinyl was either black or picture disc)
    The 12″ vinyl had an extended version sadly missing from the 2 track cd single , so I would have very much liked it if they had opted to put the 12″ versions instead ( it only runs about a minute longer of memory serves) and make it a first time on Cd
    posted it in a common on her website and had my head bitten off by Sam and some avid fans. Good Fun there.

on one of the 12″ singles for I Wanna Have Some Fun there was also one remix not included on the expended album – I Wanna Have Some Fun (Fun House Mix-Kevin Saunderson)
    again this could have been a good opportunity to include stuff not previously released.

maybe the powers that be at Cherry Red will read this and make some changes. who knows.

• Dimitris Voulgaris says:

Hello Saar,

Regarding the 12” of Touch me 2016 although it ‘s 1 minute longer than the single version, unfortunately there was no space to the disc for the final cut, as all songs fill the disc.
      I understand that we cannot put everything in this Box .. However I think that the Fox Box is an amazing collection having all the 7” edits plus some rare material. Some of the edits are not the usual ones put in previous collections.

17. don cooper says:

Even if she didn’t play an instrument, she has beneficial effects on mine to this day.
    And that’s even with her coming from Lesbia…

On a more serious note,I applaud the fact she hasn’t seen fit to denigrate her glamour-puss past by adopting an ‘ah, but that was before,’ stance.
    Goodonyer,Sam.

18. Larry Davis says:

Regarding this post…I recently got back into Sam Fox, as I found the 1992 US “Greatest Hits” in a junk bin for a quarter…literally…and I thought, “ya know what?? For a quarter, I want this for a guilty pleasure”…I used 2 have her first 3 albums on vinyl in the 80s…and her records were good 80s pop with great hooks, and tunes ranging from SAW Hi-NRG to catchy Euro dance rock, to hip-hop and house, even a decent rockabilly song (“Hold On Tight”) and even Def Leppard-esque pop metal in her cover of Mama’s Boys “Waiting For A Miracle” rewritten as “Spirit Of America”…and she even co-wrote a coupla tunes herself…Sam might be cheesy, but she’s sorta underrated and underappreciated now…I do want that collection, and yes I know she is a lesbo, but hey, she was a fantasy girl before she came out, so I would not mind the 2 DVDs…Sabrina is on it, and I always had a thing for her…I may get those 2CD deluxes as well…

As for James, I never got bigtime into that band, and I have been aware of their Warner stuff first, before they broke with “Goldmother”, but never heard any of it in my years of collecting…

As for Theatre Of Hate…who?? I know many obscure 80s bands, but they missed me completely…100%…

19. James Pigg says:

Do Cherry Red use needledrops for these sort of releases (especially the rarer 12″ versions) or are they straight from the original master tapes?

20. David says:

The cover is shocking,whoever designed this,obviously is not as a fan and seen other better pictures instead of one where she looks like she is in a Brian Mills catalogue from 1986 ….

• DJ Salinger says:

Yep. There’s only one word for that hair: terrifying.

Like so many, many things in pop history I’m sure it seemed like a good idea at the time…

• Dimitris Voulgaris says:

I do not agree. I find it ICONIC. And obviously you are not a fan as you forget that similar photo from the same photo session was used in Touch me 12” Uk and US pressing. Google it mate !

21. gwynogue says:

I read ‘four-disc’ and got very excited. Then read further and realised two of them are DVD. Don’t get me wrong, I am gonna LOVE the DVDs – I just think 2 CDs isn’t enough. Considering the size of her output (not a euphemism), I think she deserves ‘four-disc’ PLUS two DVDs. I would be more than happy to see the pin/badge/button pack ditched and replaced with a 3rd CD. Perhaps Cherry Red are planning a 3-CD remix collection. That would be awesome.

And just as a side-note, I think “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now” is the best record she ever made. It’s one of my all-time favourites and some of S/A/W’s finest work.

22. Fil says:

I think it would have been fun to have the Touch Me version with Gunther instead of it just being relegated to the DVD side. It’s not on US ITunes and I never bought the CD single import.

23. Fil says:

Also, instead of having some repeat mixes from the double disc reissues, I know there are some US single versions that are different than the international releases. I believe the US single version of Naughty Girls is a different edit (at least the CD on the CD promo) than the international releases. Love House might have a different US single edit also. Why not include those instead?

24. FROM MARS says:

Sam Fax. A Spur..

25. Tim says:

I’m no Samantha Fox fan but what I remember of her is that she was attractive if nothing else. But that cover photo is horrific. Whoever is putting together cover art nowadays is just mailing it in.

26. CJ says:

I’m in for this. I’ve loved Sam since I was a kid, and I know it’s fashionable to bag on her music, but I think her first three albums are all 80s classics. Just One Night was not particularly great–felt a bit like there was too much record company interference. But those first three–80s bliss. And I’m going to be so happy to have a decent DVD to replace the craptastic bootleg of videos I have.

27. Ivo says:

Glad to read this news on your site.
    I look forward for some signed copies that may become available.
    If you like Samantha Fox and want to stay updated with news, just visit http://www.samfoxitalia.com

28. Ivo says:

Someone mentioned here her autobiography.
    Well, it will be out on 21st December 2017:

29. fj says:

Is it just me or does the Naughty Girls edit on the The Singles disc end really abruptly? It isn’t a fade so it should be abrupt, but there seems to be a second or two missing?? Or is this the way it had always been edited? Not sure, as I gave my cassette single away back in the late 80s. :)

30. Pingback:Dis-Content Provider Rock: Luke Haines talks to SDE about his solo anthology | superdeluxeedition