Sex Pistols / ‘Never Mind The Bollocks…’ super deluxe: reformatted and reissued

The out-of-print 2012 super deluxe edition of the Sex Pistols‘ 1977 album Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s The Sex Pistols is being reissued and reformatted (for the album’s 40th anniversary) into a cheaper more compact edition and will be released next month.

This new package contains the same three CDs and DVD as the previous box set, but just presents them in a smaller package. The new box (pictured above) looks to be around 6-7-inches square, whereas the previous box was a large format 12-inch set.

So to be clear, you get the original studio album with 1977 B-sides (CD 1), a disc of outtakes (CD2), a disc of 1977 live material (CD3) and a DVD featuring 1977 footage of the band playing live from the infamous boat party held on the River Thames, London; the Winter Gardens, Penzance in Cornwall and the Happy House, Stockholm, Sweden.

Missing is the large 100-page book, the replica seven-inch single, the poster, stickers and the copy of the handwritten lyrics. However, this new box set is less than half the price of the original and you do still get a 48-page hardback book with narrative from music journalist Pat Gilbert plus rare photos etc.

Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s The Sex Pistols will be reissued on 27 October 2017

Sex Pistols

9. Submission
  10. Pretty Vacant
  11. New York
  12. EMI

Disc 2 – Studio Rarities / Dave Goodman Demos / Chris Thomas Demos & Outtakes

Studio Rarities & B Sides

1. No Feeling (B side of withdrawn God Save The Queen On A&M Records)
  2. Did You No Wrong (B side of God Save The Queen)
  3. No Fun (B side of Pretty Vacant)
  4. Satellite (B side of Holidays In The Sun)

Dave Goodman Demos

1. New York (Demo Version)
  2. Unlimited Edition (Demo Version of EMI)
  3. Liar (Demo Version)
  4. Pretty Vacant (Demo Version)
  5. Problems (Demo Version)
  6. No Future (Demo Version of God Save The Queen)

Chris Thomas Demos & Outtakes

1. Did You No Wrong (Alternative Vocal)
  2. Seventeen (Alternative Vocal)
  3. Satellite (Rough Mix)
  4. Submission (Rough Mix)
  5. Holidays In The Sun (Rough Mix)
  6. EMI (Rough Mix)
  7. Seventeen (Rough Mix)
  8. Holidays In The Sun (Alternative Mix)
  9. Body (Demo Version Of Bodies)
  10. Submission (Alternative Mix)
  11. Belson Was A Gas (Demo Version)

Disc 3

Promo Video

1. Good Save The Queen
  2. Pretty Vacant
  3. Holidays In The Sun

Radio 1 Rock On Interview

1. John And Sid Interview

38 responses to Sex Pistols / ‘Never Mind The Bollocks…’ super deluxe: reformatted and reissued

1. Mark S says:

Brilliant set. I have the 2012 release. Only thing I would liked to have seen included is Anarchy B-Side “I wanna be me”.
    I get the whole 1977 aspect but given what is included it seems churlish to leave it out.
    Highly recommended though.

2. Paul says:

“Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?”

3. Neil Wilkes says:

I also have the 2012 release.
    Will give this a miss though, as I have lost count of the times I have bought this album over the years & there is nothing new on offer…..
    So much good stuff from the 1976 period is missing here, and the Blu-ray edition was a very badly missed opportunity too as it could have been really interesting if done right..

• Lemmin says:

Now now, they have a 45th anniversary to think of now don’t they? They will include alll the things your missing on that set then and leave a third of what’s on this set off. Then they’ll include everything for the 50th. ;-)

• AFGreenwood says:

this is the same format box as the live 76 set which I eventually got for a tenner from Great Album Stores, which I believe is owned by the record label. I’d definitely have this for a tenner.
      I agree with I wanna be me missing. I have it on the B side of my French import of Anarchy which is all I could get back in 1977 but it should definitely be in the B side list. Perhaps copyright can’t be obtained.

4. Electric Sydney says:

So I can rest well having the 2012 set and be ok NOT having to get this? My wallet thanks the Pistols et al.

5. Klaus says:

I don’t know if anyone wrote this when it was first released but: An SDE? Of Never Mind The Bollocks? That is so much against what punk originally stood for it’s outright ridiculous.

• Neil Kelly says:

Get over it it’s 40 years on…

• Hello Bongo says:

The great irony of the Pistols is that their records have become the very thing Malcolm tried to portray they sought to destroy – Classic Corporate Rock – they’re now up there with Queen, The Beatles and Pink Floyd as collectable, classic rock – the A&M ‘God Save the Queen’ 7″ perhaps the maddest example – They’re part of the mainstream, establishment canon and they have been – and will be- SDE’d to death. The Swindle gets ever greater – but maybe that was the point – The Pistols elevated to tablets of stone to rival Led Zep etc – they’ve dislodged the rock gods from their plinth – so maybe that’s more true to the Punk spirit than you might think Klaus.

• Tonk says:

Bang on – I stood next to a bloke about a year back at a record fair handling the Metal Box round tin thingy and it was like the fecking Antiques Roadshow “Look at the patina on that!” he quoth . . wonder if Malcolm included Arthur Negus in his masterplan . . .

6. Ian says:

Good stuff. Another Paul has got out the familiar pistols quote. ie. “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated”. Which leaves me with “Some product. Carri on Sex Pistols”.

Seems a decent box now the padding has been removed. 40 years though. That’s shocking. And the Queen still going too. I wonder if she has a copy?

• colin says:

Hi Ian, I’m sure fans of punk/The pistols will buy this in droves but I doubt very much if the Queen has The Pistols spinning on her turntable. More likely to have Cliff or Susan Boyle, thats more her cuppa T !!

7. MikeT says:

I don’t have the 2012 set and will probably buy this, yet I can’t find it listed for sale on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk yet. I assume you will link to pre-orders asap.
    Thanks,

8. Enrico G. says:

The original 2012 box set is 65,90 Euros on Amazon.de: good price!

9. colin says:

It certainly is a lot of ‘BOLLOCKS’ lol – not my thing, never liked them or what they put out. Punk is the worst genre of music, absolutely awful. But hey that’s just MHO. If it’s your bag i’m sure you will love it, just ain’t for me!

10. Gorecki says:

Speaking as someone who couldn’t afford the original release (it cost more than my weekly income) I’m only too happy with this re-release. And I’m rather glad it’s free of the fripperies – poster, stickers, 7″ replica, etc. Does anybody actually pin the poster on the wall or put the stickers on things? Assuming precisely nobody does their inclusion is somewhat superfluous and, in these environmentally conscious times, rather wasteful.

I can’t understand the complaints of those who bought the previous version and think it’s a ‘cheat’ to re-release it – as if they are obligated to buy this as well – why does anybody need to buy exactly the same music in exactly the same remastering a second time? Is it the packaging or the music that’s more important?

Perhaps in five years Universal/UMG/UMC/whatever will also produce a bare-bones edition of that nice Queen News Of The World set! But that picture disc is very pretty….

11. Adey says:

I wonder if the mastering is as appalling as the 2012 remaster/ repackage/ rerelease???
    …the REAL rock n roll swindle

• John Sayers says:

The 2012 mastering is actually supposed to be pretty good – not that I can tell I blew my ears out years ago!

12. Mike says:

October 27th…. same day as the long awaited new album by The Professionals… co-incidence?

13. smorrissey says:

I would have prefered this instead of the 2012 boxset with a useless vinyl and sturdy book.

14. paolo says:

So they are basically reissuing it without the useless crap, good sign.

15. Rik Skyline says:

Country Life butter legend.

16. Timothy Harrison says:

But it’s still basically 10 quid per disc… still not that good value…

17. Martin says:

Massive pistols fan but sorry the words ‘Cash Cow’ come to mind

18. Jeff Rougvie says:

My question; is this new hardback got different content from the 2012? I’m too lazy / not close enough to mine to look and see if the writing described was in the 12×12. Anyone?

19. bob says:

ill eventually buy it when the price drops, and i have the super deluxe 2 disc remaster in 12′. And I have the Virgin box on my ipod.

20. Dean says:

I may be alone, but this is a fail. It may be half the cost of the original box – but that was over-priced to begin with.

Cutting out pages of the book (goodness knows what’s missing) and all the nick-nacks, means this is simply lesser of a product. If all I wanted was the music, I’d. *ahem* have it by now.

Shrinking it is a good idea – but they’re not serving up the same package. Hence, this isn’t a cost savings at all, it’s just pay less for less.

21. Nass Khan says:

I cannot fathom why people log on to Super Deluxe edition (clue is in the title) to make negative comments regarding extended edtions of classic Lps.

As it happens I own the 2012 release and the extras are enjoyable.

If you think its a swindle thats up to you.

• Dean says:

People log in to get informed about what’s coming, and to DISCUSS them. That means some comments will be positive, some negative. Otherwise what’s the point? If there were only positive comments, the site wouldn’t serve a purpose other than advertising product.

22. Michael says:

Does anyone know if this new Sex Pistols super edition has improved sound quality?

I have the original LP, deluxe 2-CD, Blu-ray and Japanese CD versions of this album, and all of the reissued versions still sound rather compressed with little or no sound improvement to my ears. Please advise.

• John Sayers says:

Ummm, I think it’s safe to say that’s just the way that it’s always sounded. No complaints from me and a few million other folks, though!

23. Michael says:

Thank you, John, for your response. Please forgive me, as I’m attracted to Paul’s SDE website blog to learn about the best sound quality, extra tracks, and packaging being made available through super deluxe releases of my favorite albums. Given your comment, and the fact that I already own four different versions of this Sex Pistols album, you have convinced me to skip this one.

24. Adrian Grove says:

I wanted the 2012 edition but it was a lot of money then, but this version is more suited to my budget so I will be getting it