Simple Minds / New Gold Dream six-disc super deluxe edition box set

New Gold Dream Exploded

At the end of July, Universal Music will reissue Simple Minds‘ acclaimed fifth studio album, New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84), across a number of formats, including a six-disc super deluxe edition box set…

newgolddreamThe 1982 album was the Scottish band’s second on the Virgin label and the first to feature drummer Mel Gaynor (recruited after producer Peter Walsh declared himself unsatisfied with Mike Ogletree’s playing). New Gold Dream launched Simple Minds’ career worldwide and delivered the hit singles Promised You A Miracle, Glittering Prize and Someone Somewhere In Summertime.

The new super deluxe edition of New Gold Dream boasts an abundance of material. Disc one features a 2016 remaster (by Andrew Walter at Abbey Road) approved by Charlie Burchill and the second disc gathers 12-inch remixes and instrumentals of the singles, a few of which enjoy their CD debut.

Various edits and B-sides can be found on the third CD in the set while disc four features previously unreleased BBC John Peel and Kid Jensen radio sessions, recorded in February and August 1982.

All ten tracks on disc five are previously unreleased; made up of alternative mixes and demos and the icing on the cake is the sixth and final disc which is a DVD, featuring Charlie Burchill and Ronald Prent’s 5.1 surround sound mix, first released on the now long out-of-print DVD-Audio in 2005. This mix of the album is a unique ‘full duration’ mix which is different to the standard version. DVD also includes promo videos and a few Top of the Pops performances. Note, this is a DVD-V unlike the DVD-A/V disc from previous Simple Minds box sets.

The super deluxe includes a 36-page booklet with sleeve notes by journalist and broadcaster, Billy Sloan including new interviews with Jim Kerr and Charlie Burchill.

The reissue is being issued on two-CD deluxe and vinyl LP. The DVD content is also put out as a blu-ray audio.

New Gold Dream is reissued on 29 July 2016. At the time of writing it’s currently a great price on Amazon UK – little more than £6 per disc.

Simple Minds

5. Somebody Up There Likes You
  6. NewGoldDream (81,82,83,84)
  7. Glittering Prize
  8. Hunter And The Hunted
  9. King Is White And In The Crowd

CD #2: Extended Versions

1. Promised You A Miracle [Extended] (from Promised You A Miracle 12″ single)
  2. Seeing Out The Angel [Instrumental Remix] (from Promised You A Miracle 12″ single)
  3. Promised You A Miracle [US Remix] (from Promised You A Miracle American 12″ single)
  4. Promised You A Miracle [US Dub] (from Promised You A Miracle American 12″ single) First time on CD.
  5. Promised You A Miracle [US Special Extended Remix] (from Promised You A Miracle American Promo 12″ single) First time on CD.
  6. Glittering Prize [Club Mix] (from Glittering Prize 12″ single)
  7. Glittering Prize [Extended Theme] (from Glittering Prize 12″ single)
  8. Someone Somewhere In Summertime [Extended] (from Someone Somewhere In Summertime 12″ single)
  9. NewGoldDream (81,82,83,84) [German 12″ Remix] (from NewGoldDream German CD issue of album. Later released on 12″ singles.)
  10. King Is White And In The Crowd [Instrumental] (unedited and restored mix originally released with a Touch Tape magazine). First time on CD.
  11. NewGoldDream (81,82,83,84) [German 12″ Remix With Drums] (from X5 compilation)
  12. In Every Heaven (from X5 compilation)

CD #3: Edits And B-Sides

1. Promised You A Miracle [Edit] (from Promised You A Miracle 7″ single)
  2. Theme For Great Cities (from Promised You A Miracle 7″ single)
  3. Glittering Prize [Edit] (from Glittering Prize 7″ single)
  4. Glittering Prize [Theme] (from Glittering Prize 7″ single) First time on CD.
  5. Someone Somewhere In Summertime [Edit] (from Someone Somewhere In Summertime Promo 7″ single) First time on CD.
  6. Soundtrack For Every Heaven (from Someone Somewhere In Summertime 12″ single)
  7. NewGoldDream (81,82,83,84) [7″ Mix] (from NewGoldDream Italian 7″ single)

CD #4: Radio Sessions

1. Promised You A Miracle [Kid Jensen Session]
  2. In Trance As Mission [Kid Jensen Session]
  3. King Is White and In The Crowd [Kid Jensen Session] (from Someone Somewhere In Summertime 12″ single)
  4. Promised You A Miracle [John Peel Session] First time on CD
  5. Love Song [John Peel Session] First time on CD
  6. Sons And Fascination [John Peel Session] First time on CD
  7. King Is White And In The Crowd [John Peel Session] First time on CD
  8. Someone Somewhere In Summertime [Kid Jensen Session]
  9. Glittering Prize [Kid Jensen Session]
  10. Hunter And The Hunted [Kid Jensen Session]

CD #5: Alternative Mixes, Roughs And Demos

1. Someone Somewhere In Summertime [Full Duration] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  2. Colours Fly And Catherine Wheel [Full Duration Instrumental] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  3. Promised You A Miracle [Remix For Album: Long] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  4. Big Sleep [Instrumental] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  5. In Every Heaven [Full Duration] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  6. Somebody Up There Likes You [Full Duration Instrumental] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  7. NewGoldDream (81,82,83,84) [Full Duration] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  8. Hunter And The Hunted [Alternative Take] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  9. King Is White And In The Crowd [Monitor Mix] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.
  10. In Every Heaven [Early Version] Previously unreleased. First time on CD.

DVD: 5:1 Mix And Videos

1. Someone Somewhere In Summertime [5:1 Mixes]
  2. Colours Fly And Catherine Wheel [5:1 Mixes]
  3. Promised You A Miracle [5:1 Mixes]
  4. Big Sleep [5:1 Mixes]
  5. Somebody Up There Likes You [5:1 Mixes]
  6. NewGoldDream (81,82,83,84) [5:1 Mixes]
  7. Glittering Prize [5:1 Mixes]
  8. Hunter And The Hunted [5:1 Mixes]
  9. King Is White And In The Crowd [5:1 Mixes]
  10. In Every Heaven [5:1 Mixes]
  11. Promised You A Miracle [Promo Video]
  12. Glittering Prize [Promo Video]
  13. Promised You A Miracle [Top Of The Pops] First time commercially released.
  14. Glittering Prize [Top Of The Pops] First time commercially released.

183 responses to Simple Minds / New Gold Dream six-disc super deluxe edition box set

1. Trash says:

Didn’t even bother to read the description – pre-ordered straight away!

Love this album.

• Chris Mooar says:

Lol. Ditto. Fantastic album. Ordered.

• John Thomson says:

Preordered. Lots of rare alternative mixes I’ve not heard before, many of which are new to CD.

I hope this one goes without a hitch this time and the US Remix of PYAM sounds better than it did on the recent OUAT Box set.

• Rob F says:

Me too Trash…..me too ! :)

2. Trash says:

Oh and a forgot to say – Thank you for the heads up Paul! Much appreciated.

3. Michael says:

ABSOLUTELY DAY 1 FOR ME!!!!!!!!! Cannot wait.

4. Mark says:

Sold – one of my favourite albums.

5. Colin says:

Wow! Can’t wait.
    Superb album. Ordered. :-)

6. Carina says:

A must have!

7. Tracey says:

This is fantastic! Pre-ordered from amazon.co.uk for a total of approx GBP 33.00, including shipping to the US.

• Normand Tremblay says:

Fantastic price (33£) for incredible music (unique synth riff that influenced a lot of bands, even U2)! Ordered from Canada… Thanks, Paul!

8. Simon Curtiss says:

This is a wonderful album, but six discs, yeah Nah.

I’ll take CD1 and CD5 as a double though, please.

9. Fat Old Bloke says:

Ordered direct from your uk link for the deluxe box.
    Thanks Paul !

10. William M says:

will be ordered, i’m lucky to have the original DVD-A but if i have a gripe it’s the fact the newcastle city hall gig is missing on either audio or video form…or both, it would be a worthy inclusion for an official release

11. Wayne says:

Preordered without even reading the details. One of my favourite albums of all time.
    I have the DVD-A and the 5.1 mix is terrific although if memory serves at the time they were missing tracks for “Colours Fly & Catherine Wheel” and “Big Sleep”which prohibited a true 5.1 – would be interesting to know if this is still the case.

• negative1 says:

yes, those tracks will still be missing in surround

• Ryan says:

Actually the missing multitracks were for “Colours Fly & Catherine Wheel” and “Promised You A Miracle”. “Big Sleep” is a discrete 5.1 mix and sounds very good! :)

12. Scott G says:

I have the original DVD Audio which is superb. Excellent 24/96 5.1 mixes on it. It also has the 24/96 stereo mix as well.
    Does the new DVD-V have the same? Is it 24/96?
    Does the Blu-Ray contain all the extra material?

13. John Murray says:

Ordered. A brilliant album. I have the DVD-A from 2005 which sounds sublime, so I’m excited to get that plus what sounds like some great extras. Stupid not to at this price!

14. Scott says:

Andy Walter did the remastering? I’m horrified. He’s the one who destroyed the 2010 Spandau and Duran reissues. I mean, they were among the worst ever.

His Songs From The Big Chair remaster was rated highly.

• Scott says:

Well, hopefully he learned something from the huge backlash at the time of the Duran and Spandau remasters. I already preordered so I will hope for the best.

• Julian H says:

Paul is correct, Andy did very good work on SFTBC and it makes me grieve that he wasn’t already employed for The Hurting (which reserved a less than stellar mastering from the notorious Peter Mew). DR of SFTBC is between 11 and 12.

15. Barry says:

If I could only have one album with me if I was stranded on an island, this would be the one. Perfect from the first song to the last one.

16. Mathias says:

WOW!!! More than I had hoped for in my wildest dreams.

Love all their early albums but this is my favourite. I bought it 1982 on a school trip to Berlin – for the first time. I’m not sure how many versions from this album I own now – including the DVD-A and the SACD. But this is a must for me – again ; )

17. Jim says:

I didn’t have high hopes for this but that’s a lot of decent (and unreleased) bonus content.

18. Richard Dowling says:

Ditto, do not pass go, straight to deluxe boxset purchase.
    Would be interesting to know if the vinyl lacquers for this vinyl pressing were re-cut at normal speed and not using the same masters as from the half speed Abbey Road Sessions collection.

19. eric says:

I like the fact that the Touch Tape magazine edit of King is added, although it’s a bit messy how the interview is added through the instrumental song. Still a gem, this tape magazine …

• negative1 says:

it’s very easy to dub over the interview parts, and make it a ‘pure’ instrumental, have done this already (it’s on youtube by other people)

20. Tino Stabile says:

One of the ultimate albums of the 80`s from one of the great bands from the era. Not too many summers would go by that I would not listen to Someone somewhere in the Summertime over and over. Heck, it didn`t even need to be summer. The rest of the album is not too bad either the Big Sleep, Promised you a Miracle. Glittering Prize and I could go on.
    Jim Kerr remains one of the most charismatic singers with a baritone voice resembling Morrison at times. The band is consummate musicianship at every level. Not surprised that they would make a box set of this… the glittering prize and crown jewel of their catalogue.
    Thanks Paul for this.

21. Dave says:

I pre-oredered mine on May 6th before there was any information. Does the DVD/Blu-ray have a high-resoution stereo version of the album?

22. Mark says:

Thanks Paul; ordered.

23. ADRIAN BARRETT says:

Everytime I look at this site I need a bank loan lol

24. EW99 says:

Fabulous! Thanks for the heads up.

25. Rob F says:

This is an amazing collection, at a snip of a price too. Thanks for the heads up Paul.

26. ADRIAN BARRETT says:

Am I being slightly picky when I say a live cd would have been the icing on the cake in this box?
    I saw them for the first time in ’83 and they were awesome.
    I’d have happily paid extra for a 7 disc set.

27. Reed says:

Ordered! Would love to see a box set for earlier albums too but one that gathers all the bonus cuts from that area would suffice!

28. David says:

Now we are getting serious. Absolutely beautiful album. This looks the goods. Ordered after my heart slowed down a wee bit

29. Alan says:

Saw the comment that the cost to US was £33 including shipping as US customers don’t have to pay VAT. I have always wondered why non EU residents don’t pay VAT whereas if I go to the US I have to pay all sales taxes (as I would in Australia etc) Doesn’t seem fair. Go to Heathrow airport and all you can see is signs pointing non EU citizens to a place where they can reclaim VAT.

30. arnaud says:

great day

31. Leemer says:

I believe someone said I was daft to want this collection as opposed to other Simple Minds collections. Well so be it – I am and this will be mine. Very happy to hear about this. I will be very happy indeed if this is as nicely packaged as Sparkle.

32. Leemer says:

William M thank you for finding that show online. Freemake!

33. Neil McL says:

A bit off track bit thought it would help Sparkle In The Rain Super Deluxe in the Universal Great Offers Store is only £14.99!!! Link Below –

34. James says:

A box-set to get the heart racing…but in 2016, the blu-ray should have made the box instead of the DVD.

Still, re-release of the year.

35. richie says:

I ordered this as soon as it became available.

I`m an old hippy but this is one of the few albums from an `80`s band` that I place in the top 30 of greatest albums and definitely the finest album by an `80`s band`.

36. Straker says:

Now, THIS is how you put together a boxset for an album and associated content! I hope other artists take note and stop trying to palm us off with woefully incomplete sets, knowingly leaving off lots of stuff so they can flog it to us again or in separate releases subsequently.

Paul, do you know if Malcom Garrett (of Assorted Images & the original designer) was involved in the packaging for this set? Certainly looks sympathetically designed enough to be him.

37. Richard John says:

Just ordered Sparkle in the Rain superdeluxe for £15, looks like I’ve got a new pre-order to sort out as well! Thanks for the info Paul.

38. joe connelly says:

Very nice looking package, but as a more casual Simple Minds fan this is far more than I need so I won’t be buying. I have the X5 box, the NGD edition in there has 6 bonus tracks. Near the top of my wish list is an X5-2 box that starts with ‘Sparkle…’ and goes up to the late 1990’s. Such an interesting band, they really deserve to have their entire catalog out in X5 type packages for casual fans who want the complete experience, and with deluxe editions like this NGD 6-disc version for the hardcore fans to enjoy of their most artistically valued albums.

39. negative1 says:

thanks for getting the listing up paul, this release was mentioned since april, and i have been waiting for you to post a story about it.

looks like a great release, glad they went with rough and demo versions
    instead of live tracks.

later

40. Leemer says:

I must say the one disappointment in this collection is the lack of the b-side “The American” long version from the Promised You A Miracle 12″ US release.

41. Alastair says:

Lots of happy people seeing this release. This is definitely THE one for most Simple Minds fans. Great reissue and very fair price. Hope it delivers

42. David says:

I pre-ordered. Thanks. Great album.

Question is do I really need 9 (NINE) versions of Promised You a Miracle? Probably not. CDs 3, 4 and 5 seem rather short too. Hmmm.

43. Kauwgompie says:

Well, that was a no-brainer. Ordered it immediately. That price comparison tool is awesome!! Paul, when you get a chance, or when you find out, could you pls add the times of the songs? Im very curious to know about the times on disc 5. Full duration sounds very promising but is it really much longer than the regular album version? Cant wait to find out. What an excellent collection!!!!

44. negative1 says:

disc 2:

was previously on the canadian cd compilation: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Retro-80s-Volume-1/release/626014

later

• Neil says:

You beat me to saying that as i bought that compilation mainly to get that mix and to be honest i wasn’t impressed as it doesn’t sound that much different to the regular US Remix but runs a bit longer. I wish whoever makes these claims about stuff not being released before on CD before check their facts first.

45. Ryan says:

Two quick questions, Paul:

Why just DVD-V this time as opposed to DVD-A/V like the last two Simple Minds box sets?
    Will the Blu-Ray contain the extra videos that the DVD has?

First question. Don’t know, but I checked so this information is accurate. Second question is that the blu-ray will be identical in content to DVD.

46. cq says:

you had me at “six-disc”…

ordered at Amazon UK shipping to USA.

And yes, this avoids VAT but is not free nor fast shipping, I still save net about 3GBP over buying it locally in UK which I can’t actually do, but I also don’t get to enjoy the wonderful services that the UK VAT pays for (what are those exactly again?)

47. Guillaume Labelle says:

Thank Paul, living in the USA, I ordered from the UK and the price was lower at check out. 26 GBP.

Love that band!!!

48. negative1 says:

these are track times i’ve collected for most of the tracks listed here.
    —————
    7 Glittering Prize 4:33
    8 Hunter And The Hunted 5:53
    9 King Is White And In The Crowd 6:59
    ———————-
    tracks : 9
    time : 45 min

alternate dvd-a version (stereo)
    ===========================================

Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) (David Jensen Session – 13-8-82) 5:10
    Glittering Prize (David Jensen Session – 13-8-82) 4:21
    Hunter And The Hunted (David Jensen Session – 13-8-82) 5:53
    ====================================

later

49. Renaud says:

Without wanting to rant too much, I don’t really see the point of all these remixes, that was a very 80s gimmick which has never done anything (or very rarely) to original tracks… Personally I would have added the Newcastle City Hall concert from Nov.1982. I know it was already available to the Live in Verona DVD but it would have made semse to have a full filmed concert in this box set, particularly when it has the best live version of Big Sleep and Hunter and the Hunted, the latter ending up as the B side to their next single ‘Waterfront’ heralding the Sparkle in the Rain album.

• negative1 says:

to me, the remixes are the point. that’s exactly what i wanted. some have never been released on cd before.

i can get all the live tracks i want in soundboard quality quite easily. so to me there’s no point in including them here. i’m glad they made that choice.

• R.naud says:

I meant the concert film footage on DVD, not that bothered with another live CD…

50. Paul E. says:

The price seems to be moving up this morning. Here’s my Super Deluxe/Simple Minds’ spend recap [all prices USD and shipped to the US]: New Gold Dream pre-ordered today 5/19/16 Amazon UK delivered for $45.08, Once Upon a Time pre-ordered 9/9/15 Amazon UK delivered for $51.99, and Sparkle In the Rain pre-ordered 3/19/15 Amazon Germany delivered for $36.13 (no charge, of course, for the replacement DVD/Booklet). My Simple Minds’ punch card shows that one more box set purchase qualifies me for a free one! Not really but, other than my wife, who’s counting?

51. Auntie Sabrina says:

The blu-ray Audio is just the album then:-

A touch cheaper direct from the uDiscover Store

52. Richard says:

ordered mine and its a great price as well , no doubt the price will rise before release always does

53. peanrama says:

Just pre-ordered. Brilliant – can’t wait for this to arrive!!

54. Frank says:

I would like to preorder the super deluxe, but i havent forgotten how faulty my super Deluxe of Once Upon.. is

55. Steve says:

This site is destroying my bank account. But it leaves me smiling. :) Box set ordered!

Neil McL, thanks for the tip about Sparkle In The Rain SDE – box set ordered. $19 + $10 shipping.

56. John says:

Ordered from Amazon UK for £33.99 GBP/$49.28 USD including shipping to the USA. That’s a savings of £20.47 GBP/$29.70 USD from the Amazon US price of £54.45 GBP/$78.98 USD!

57. alan hansen says:

at first glance, this appears to have everything that was released on the 3 of the 5 “themes” box-sets that contained sessions material for New Gold Dream. i am a VERY happy camper who is dearly hoping that the remastering is appropriate for these recordings.

58. Mark Turrell says:

i think it’s fair to say this is the one we’ve been waiting for. pre-order from amazon uk comes to $49 inc shipping to USA. bargain.

59. baward says:

Why on earth do record companies re-release something on (compressed) DVD-Video when it has previously been available on (uncompressed) DVD-Audio (especially since I presume this DSE isn’t aimed at the casual browser)? I guess Bluray is regarded as too much of a minority format!

60. Auntie Sabrina says:

There is a blu -ray edition baward although it isn’t clear to me what the audio options are, LOCM 2.0, DTS HD, Dolby True HD?

61. fredpostman says:

Thanks for the shout Paul;in my humble opinion a brilliant album.

62. John says:

So…
    If I opt for the super deluxe edition I still don’t get the Blu-ray audio disc?
    What’s up with this? They should’ve made a Blu-ray disc with DTS-HD and Dolby True HD audio versions of the album plus the promo videos and put that inside the super deluxe edition instead of the old fashioned DVD format.
    This means I’ll have to spend another £20 extra to get the complete package :(

I know the thinking with Tears For Fears was to have a choice of lossless… so DVD-A/V in the box or blu-ray out of the box. Clearly this doesn’t apply for this set though..

63. paul griffiths says:

ordered straight away been waiting for this

64. Dave H says:

I already own the DVD-Audio that came out a few years ago.

T0 me, the tracks with the missing multitracks “Colours Fly & Catherine Wheel” and “Promised You A Miracle” sound odd compared to the rest of the 5.1 surround tracks. They stick out because the rest of the album have the vocals coming from the centre speaker.

I think some software was used on the missing multitracks on the Tears For Fears album to create a 5.1 surround mix, could have been used on these.

65. Auntie Sabrina says:

Found this from Bluray.com regarding Tears For Fears’s The Hurting bluray audio

“About the 5.1 Surround Sound Mix

In order to create the 5.1 surround sound mix of Songs From the Big Chair, the original 1984 analogue multi-track tapes were transferred to digital in high resolution (96Khz/24 bit) at Abbey Road studios. The multi-track sessions varied from 24 track, 48 track and – in the case of Mothers Talk – 72 track (3 x 24 track tapes synchronised). Once the tapes were re-synchronised and transferred I worked to match the original stereo mixes, recreating instrument balances, stereo positioning, equalisation, compression, reverbs, delays, etc. These remixes were regularly run past Roland for feedback, and went through several versions until we were happy that they were as faithful to the original album mixes as possible (the new stereo mixes are also included in this set). Only at this point were the mixes expanded from stereo to 5.1.

Unfortunately, despite an extensive search multi-track tapes could not be found for either section of Broken, so the original stereo masters (prior to being copied to the second-generation compiled album master where they cross-fade in to and out of Head Over Heels and Listen) were processed through Penteo stereo to surround up-mixer software in order to create pseudo surround versions. These were then inserted into the album sequence to maintain the 5.1 playback flow. The 1984 stereo masters were also inserted into the 2014 stereo mix of Songs From the Big Chair for the same reason.

Both the stereo and 5.1 remixes are included here as flat transfers, no additional mastering EQ or compression has been applied.”

66. Danny says:

Ordered. :) Thanks for the heads up Paul.

67. Gerry says:

Absolutely no complaints from me – this is how a Super DX should be done.
    Ordered :)

68. Mounir Idir says:

At last one of my all time favourite Album on a deluxe edition box set. I’m in heaven !!! Pre-ordered.

69. Alan Jones says:

I am fortunate to have been a fan and collector since 1979 and New Gold Dream (81, 82, 83, 84) is my favorite album of all time.

I have lost track of the numerous different country LP versions / purple & gold, yellow vinyl versions, signed version and various formats I have purchased over the years. If only I had a copy of the Canadian red vinyl of which there is only one copy known to exist (and I know who has it) my life would be complete!

Anyway I am obviously delighted to see this release and for those who have not heard the DVD audio version, you are in for a real treat.

Thanks for all the info Paul – ordered from your link.

70. ex15 says:

I really hope it’s 3rd time lucky on the mastering, the last2 specials were awful…….

• negative1 says:

i didn’t have any issues at all. except for the new mix of sparkle in the rain, that was in mono,

so i really don’t forsee any issues at all,

later

71. David says:

They’re going for the world record of re-releasing 1 album the most times.

72. Derek Langsford says:

Pre-ordered from the UK! Have been waiting for this since SITR SDE was announced.

I pray this set is glitch free, although using the same 5.1 mix as the DVD-A is frustrating (already have that) with “Colours Fly & Catherine Wheel” and “Promised You A Miracle” sounding odd compared to the other tracks. Reprocessing them like they did on SFTBC would have been better. And DVD-V, sigh. Laziness or just keeping the price down and would I care?

I also hope a better original of Promised You A Miracle [US Remix] was found than that which was used on the OUAT SDE box. I do have the 12″/80s set with it in case it is not up to snuff.

I disagree about having a live set. Thought the Barrowlands show in the SITR SDE set was awfully weak sounding and I don’t need another live set to which I will never listen to more than once. Also have the Dream Mixes which are different again – not sure where those originally came from.

73. william says:

Glad I waited to buy this cd. I had a feeling they would deluxe/SDE this one. Almost bought the original single disc one.

74. Isaías says:

My God, what a great thing !! I can hardly wait!!

What about STREET FIGHTING YEARS, REAL LIFE and GOOD NEWS FROM THE NEXT WORLD have the same treatment Universal ?? Lots of missing things !!

Not a bad idea to include LIFE IN A DAY, REAL TO REAL CACOPHONY, EMPIRES AND DANCE and SONS AND FASCINATION/ SISTERS FEELINGS CALL on deluxe editions also. Although I suppose there isn’t too much previously unavailable material from these albums. Am I right or wrong ?? Can anybody say something about the material Simple Minds have in the valts from this era to be release still ??

Anyone who knows something about it. It would be nice to hear from you !!

• Trash says:

Have to agree…

My personal fave of theirs is actually Empires and Dance so I would love to see a Super Deluxe of this BUT I also assume the same as you Isaías that, given the bonus tracks on 5×5 release and Silver Box, there is not much left in the vaults for the earlier albums.
      Would love to hear otherwise…

• Renaud says:

I too would love a box set of the EMPIRE & DANCE – SONS & FASCINATION/SISTER FEELING CALL.

75. Gary C says:

Love this album, will buy only after it has shipped and the initial euphoria has passed. Didn’t we have major/minor problems with the other two SDE? And wasn’t the vinyl box a bit messy too? SITR was a bit fluffed and I had to wait for a new DVD, and the vinyl box I returned twice, eventually fixing up.

• Trash says:

Well my view on that is that at least the problems were fixed and I would rather know what the problems are and know that they are being fixed rather than wait and *still* possibly end up with an old non-fixed version.
      None of these companies mark stock with “New, glitch free version” and they generally don’t ask stockists to return the faulty stock so it still gets sold…

76. Phil Wilson says:

I wonder which size box we’ll get? SITR was slightly larger than OUAT. SITR was the same size as the U2 ones (Joshua Tree / Unforgettable fire), whereas OUAT was the same size as the Tears for Fears boxes (slightly, but noticeably shorter on all dimensions). Being a bit anal about how it all looks on the shelf, would prefer some consistency from this point forward.

• Phil Wilson says:

Which is not to be negative about what looks like a great set, just gotta think how it looks in a “shelfie”

• Derek Langsford says:

Would have preferred they not put solid crimson on the outside edges. Will stick out like a very sore thumb.

77. gb says:

thanks Paul. box set ordered. like many others the one I’ve been waiting for. and it’s even better than I expected it would be. really want the vinyl. hope the sleeve reproduction is as good as the original.

78. Chris2 says:

If you zoom in on the picture, you can see the DVD-A logo on the dvd. So maybe it is a dvd-a after all?

I’ve been told it’s not, by the people at Universal working on it. That packshot was probably done ages ago.

79. Gregory. says:

For those who are interested in this box set but also want to get a lossless version of the 5.1 mix as they didn’t managed to get a copy of the 2005 DVD-A, the new set of 2016 editions of New Gold Dream will leave them no other choice than purchasing both the box set and the blu-ray audio. An attempt to save the latter as a format from vanishing ? Who is still buying blu-ray pure audio discs today ?

80. Elliot says:

Isaías, this fan site lists some demos from pre-SM to SITR:

I agree on having box sets for the early period plus the SFY to GNFTW period. I’d like box sets for Néapolis and Cry as well if I’m honest, some good material came out of those albums.

81. The question for most is, this being DVD-V what are the actual specs for the 5.1 mix and stereo if included. It would be such a shame if the hi-res tracks have been downgraded to fit the DVD-V format.

82. Chris2 says:

Thanks, Paul! Well, I am going for the Blu Ray Audio anyway.

83. Isaías says:

simpleminds.org it’s really great. I never saw so much information in a fan site. Simply WONDERFUL !!

One more thing. Since DVD-V and Blue-ray will be put out by Universal I suppose two versions of the box will be available to pre order but I haven’t see it… How can I know which one I’m pre ordering ??

84. Paul English says:

Can’t wait for this. One of my favourite albums ever.

Looks great – they seem to have covered everything. Fleetwood Mac and Lloyd Cole compilers take note.

• Trash says:

@Paul English – I thought the Lloyd Cole box was pretty darned good. What was wrong with it?

• Paul English says:

@ Trash
        The Lloyd Cole set had no single edits, remixes or extended versions aside from My Bag (Dancing Mix). The majority of these are not available on CD so this box set was the ideal opportunity to include them. There was room at the end of the Rattlesnakes, Easy Pieces and Mainstream discs.

Such cherrypicking is common when it comes to rock / indie / alternative acts.

For soul and pop reissues, much less so.

85. Thorsten says:

Ordered this before reading the description. WOW can’t wait for it to arrive.
    Next please Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call Super Deluxe !!!!!!!!!!

86. Mike Pendlebury says:

Just moved from the UK to the USA yesterday – first time I get online I see this amazing news! Ordered on Amazon UK and only had to pay £33.99 with the VAT being taken off – SDE saving me money again – Thanks!

87. Reed says:

Sheesh, $49.58 for the box fro Amazon UK, it almost feels like robbery. Between this and my $6.49 copy of Around The World vinyl reissue from Prince has made this past week or so a banner one for music savings.

88. alan hansen says:

pre-order my SDE set ages ago, now showing (sans VAT), 30.91 GBP!

89. Andrew says:

@Barrie Sillars

Not sure if this is what you were asking in your earlier post but the Universal Music site selling this SDE states: DVD with high resolution 96/24 5.1 mix

90. Brad says:

Nice! Been waiting for this one. Now where is the TFF SOL?

91. John says:

Seeing Sparkle can now be had for less than £20 I’m not going to rush into this one. They’re probably going to print thousands of them so I’ll just be patient this time.

92. Kevin Henry says:

What a great album. I originally bought it on vinyl back in the day and now own the 2002 remaster in the mini album sleeve. I’ve ordered the full set and really look forward to its arrival along with Mirage. A shame the 2005 DVD and blu ray is not included in the set. I suppose not including them brings the price down and you can decide whether to buy the BR. Big Sleep is a classic.

93. Auntie Sabrina says:

Amazon.co.uk now showing Blu-ray Audio release as 5 August. Still no details of the codec, LOCM, DTS HD etc.

94. There are three definitive pop albums of 1982 for me- this, ABC’s The Lexicon of Love and Associates’ Sulk, and of the three, this is the one I love the most. In fact, I love it more than any other album ever. Simple Minds hit some kind of inimitable, impossible-to-top high with this album, and I have been waiting for a box set like this for so long. Now it’s finally happening! The price is fantastic, the contents look tremendous and the presentation looks very, very nice indeed! Bring it on!

95. In fact, what with the reissue of Sulk the other day and the sequel to Lexicon around the corner, it’s 1982 all over again! Hurrah!

96. Alan Jones says:

Like me maybe a few fans on here will have recorded the original radio session broadcasts onto cassette. I can recall that Kid Jenson introduced one of the tracks as Summer Song later to become Someone Somewhere in Summertime. Another for special treatment could be the great “lost” Simple Minds album Our Secrets Are The Same. Whilst it was later included as disc 5 on Silver Box Set, I suspect that due to the fairly high price on release, many fans will not have it or possibly have never heard of it. This was the album that the band got into fisty cuffs with EMI Records about. I was lucky to get my hands on a CD-R of the original recording and it is different to the version in the box set so they could put out both editions in a package. As far as I know a promo vinyl version never existed and so an opportunity to put that right too.

97. Neil says:

The 2 CD version is on HMV for £12.99 and the Blu-ray is on there as well for £16.99 with free postage of course.

98. Brendan says:

I totally sprang for the double-CD version, as these songs are indelibly superb.

Would like to go in on the big box, but the timing isn’t right financially. Anyway, the 5.1 is beyond my stereo system at the moment, so that dual disc set is as good as it’ll get for me. Bring on June! (My delivery date, here in the US.)

99. David says:

The only track missing (I think) is the US album shorter mix of New Gold Dream.

100. Paul R says:

One of the best albums ever ! Rare mixes on disc 5 make this a definite purchase.

101. Kirk says:

I am glad SDE will be (hopefully) adding other online outlets for price comparing, value shopping, as the Amazon pre-order prices seem to keep going up, while the Universal Music Store – the imprint releasing this amazing set – has the Super Deluxe Set priced at just $57.99.

102. twosheds says:

Why six discs, when it look like disc 3 and 4 would fit on one disc.

103. Auntie Sabrina says:

HMV also have the Blu-ray Audio version at £16.99 too…

104. Adey says:

£36.99 on official simple minds shop site

105. Gyula says:

the other box set Sparkle In The Rain CD, CD+DVD is also good price on amazon.it 27.90 eur.

ordered both.

106. Ron de Joode says:

Amazon, but also other sites mention that the 2CD version contains the 2002 remaster on the first disc. Before ordering, which version contains which remaster? It’s a remasterjungle sometimes ….

107. Paul R says:

Ordered mine from the Simple Minds shop and it has just arrived. That’s my “afternoon & evening listening” sorted then.

108. negative1 says:

new gold dream – super deluxe boxset

brief overview

disc 1 – the UK album, nothing new here,
    same tracks as from prior 2002 release.
    ———————————-

– the uk remix from the 12 inch, slightly longer than the album version

2 Seeing Out The Angel (Instrumental Remix) 6:35
    – b side from the uk 12 inch of promised you a miracle, original track is from
    sons and fascination

3 Promised You A Miracle (US Remix) 6:03
    – from the us 12 inch, released on all the things she said uk 12 inch b side,
    a different drum beat over the main track

4 Promised You A Miracle (US Dub) 5:25
    – first time on CD, from the us 12 inch b side, an instrumental mix
    with the same sound as the us 12 inch

5 Promised You A Miracle (US Special Extended Remix) 6:19
    – the full promo US 12 inch mix, that was hard to find on CD is here,
    this is the definite remix of the track, which sounds much closer to
    the original

6 Glittering Prize (Club Mix) 4:57
    – the uk 12 inch mix

7 Glittering Prize (Extended Theme) 4:57
    – basically an instrumenal version from the uk 12 inch

8 Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) (Extended Mix) 6:05
    – from the uk 12 inch

9 New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) (German 12” Remix) 6:52
    – a bonus track from the european i travel 12 inch, also included on the
    glittering prize theme later on

10 King Is White And In The Crowd (Instrumental / Touch Tape Magazine Version) 8:45
    – not sure about this, since the version on the tape is a few minutes shorter

11 New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) (German 12” Remix With Drums) 6:56
    – not sure about this either, but sounds similar to the normal remix

12 In Every Heaven (2012 Remaster) 4:23
    – as stated, from the 2012 remaster

Disc 3 – edits
    ————————
    1 Promised You A Miracle (Edit / Remaster 2001) 4:01
    – from the uk 7 inch

2 Theme For Great Cities (Album Version) 5:50
    – from the album sisters feeling call

3 Glittering Prize (Edit / 2001 Remaster) 4:00
    – from the uk 7 inch

4 Glittering Prize (Theme / 7″ Single Mix) 4:04
    – b side of the uk 7 inch

5 Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) (7″ Promo Single Edit) 3:58
    – from the us 7 inch promo

6 Soundtrack For Every Heaven 4:55
    – instrumental from the b side of the uk 12 inch of someone somewhere in summertime

7 New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) (7″ Mix) 4:45
    – same as the us album edit, and the italian 7 inch

Disc 4 – radio sessions, all are very good quality,
    with some varying from the album versions, and some
    tracks from earlier albums.

——————————————
    1 Promised You A Miracle (David Jenson Show / 1982) 4:22
    2 In Trance As Mission (David Jenson Show / 1982) 4:33
    3 King Is White And In The Crowd (Session Version) 5:19
    4 Promised You A Miracle (John Peel Session / May 1982) 4:40
    5 Love Song (John Peel Session / May 1982) 5:48
    6 Sons And Fascination (John Peel Session / May 1982) 6:42
    7 King Is White And In The Crowd (John Peel Session / May 1982) 6:03
    8 Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) (Kid Jensen Session / 13th August 1982) 5:08
    9 Glittering Prize (Kid Jensen Session / 13th August 1982) 4:21
    10 Hunter And The Hunted (David Jenson Show / 1982) 5:48

Disc 5 – alternate versions – these are different
    from the DVD-A mixes also.
    ———————————–
    1 Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) (Full Duration Version) 5:46
    – a longer version similar to the 12 inch

2 Colours Fly And Catherine Wheel (Full Duration Version / Instrumental) 4:42
    – instrumental version that was unreleased, very good

3 Promised You A Miracle (Album Remix / Extended Version) 4:53
    – not really sure how different this is from the uk 12 inch version,
    sounds similar

4 Big Sleep (Instrumental) 5:13
    – instrumental version that was unreleased, very good

5 In Every Heaven (Full Version) 5:39
    – again, different in length from the DVD-A version, but sounds similar

6 Somebody Up There Likes You (Full Duration / Instrumental) 5:17
    – another take of the instrumental version

7 New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) (Alternative Dream Version) 7:02
    – prior unreleased take, very good

8 Hunter And The Hunted (Alternative Take) 5:16
    – another alternate version, very good

9 King Is White And In The Crowd (Monitor Mix) 7:14
    – a different take on the standard mix, very good

10 In Every Heaven (Early Version) 4:36
    – a much slower version, very sparse

================================================

overall, a great package, the track listings are excellent.
    there might be a few missing tracks, but not much
    (full version of in every heaven, the touch tapes version of king
    is white and in the crowd, and the stage instrumental of new gold dream)

other than the missing 5.1 mixes of promised you a miracle, and
    colours fly and catherine wheel, this is very comprehensive,
    and well worth it.

great news for fans, and collectors.

highly recommended.

later

• negative1 says:

an important note to mention:

this review is for the digital version.
      the first disc was the old 2002 remaster.

the physical cd version should have the new
      2016 abbey road remaster.

later

109. Joe says:

On a related note …..does anyone know what’s become of the simpleminds.Org website also known as dreamgiver???? No updates since January.

110. Nigel Day says:

Ive ripped the main album onto my ipod and the text says 2002 remaster – So not a new master then ????

111. Michael McA says:

Arrived yesterday. Immaculately packaged as expected. New Gold Dream (released the week I turned 21) is a magnificent masterpiece. Full of yearning and melancholia, the music is sublime, so beautiful – and it still moves me to tears. It sounds too good to be true, like the sun is shining through it.

112. Worth pointing out that the DVD is not, as stated on the box, disc sleeve and disc itself, DVD-Audio. It is just a DVD-Video. Nor does it utilise DTS Master-Audio HD, as stated on the disc, sleeve and box.

The 5.1 mixes are delivered in either DTS 96/24 or Dolby Digital 48/16. The Stereo mix is delivered as 96/24 LPCM.

113. JuzzyB says:

Nice.
    Will we get a Sons and Fascination / Sister Feelings Call Box? I don’t know if there is any rare stuff from this period apart from the 12″ single releases.

114. Nubben says:

Sorry for a noob question but Paul mentioned somewhere that the only place to get a lossless version of the 5.1 mix is through the Blu-ray Disc. Isn’t the dvd 5.1 mix lossless?

Many thanks!

115. Steve says:

Looks great next to the other two deluxe boxes not had chance to listen to any of it yet however it’s well packaged and great track listing. Hoping for street fighting years to be next box set.

116. Chris says:

Hi,
    Some websites list the tracktimes of the 10 tracks on the dvd as exactly the same as the regular album versions (cd1).
    Can anyone confirm that the dvd features the 5.1 mixes from the 2005 dvd and NOT new 5.1 mixes from the 2016 remastered album-version ?
    And what about the blu ray ? New 5.1 mixes or the 2005 5.1 mixes ?
    Thanks !

117. Tony says:

The peel sessions sound as though they were recorded off the radio. My only criticism of a great box set.

• EW99 says:

The sound quality was a *bit* iffy but my God what a session… They really went for a full on, Empires & Dance style, in your face, raw sound. Magnificent!

118. Koen Kroeze says:

Great SDE box!

Hardly any versions missing (?). Since the US 12″ mixes of ‘Promised You A Miracle’ have been included ‘The American (7″ Mix / Extended Mix)’ (US 7″/12″ b-side) could’ve been present as well, even though it was not a track from the album… But hé, ‘Theme for Great Cities’ had been on previous releases prior to the album as well…

A few years ago an early demo of Someone Somewhere was floating around the www.

Might there be a possibility Virgin will reproduce the size of the ‘Once Upon A Time (SDE’ box-set, so all three will have the same size? Personally it annoys me ‘OUAT’ is a bit smaller…

Hopefully the other albums will get a SDE treatment as well. Still enough tracks that needs its way to CD/digital format. Even though various compilations have edits, demos, extended versions, I like it when all these versions are gathered… We’ll wait and see what the future might bring…

119. Chris says:

My copy arrived in Australia yesterday. Hoping to listen this afternoon. At this point I have to say I hope the quality of the audio is better than the quality of the typography. You’d think they would have considered that most of us who bought the album cause we loved it in 1982 are now into our 50s and beyond!

This is my first album on DVD and I’ll need to rip it to listen anywhere other than the computer. Can anyone direct me to a good guide for doing this? Ideally I’d like to end up with 16 bit audio in 5.1. I think Apple lossless format fits the bill but open to the suggestions of those who’ve done it before.

• James says:

Easily the best box set of the year (so far). Gorgeous sound + elegant box set. The memories just come flooding back. Trumps SITR by a long shot. Now we need the rest.

• EW99 says:

I can’t speak to your “16 bit audio in 5.1″ requirement but I downloaded a trial version (30 days) of DVD Audio Extractor from http://www.dvdae.com to extract the stereo mix off the DVD and burned that to a CD.

120. Derek Langsford says:

Mine finally came today – why so long to CA versus Australia from UK? Nice set but the fact that the outer box, the DVD sleeve and the DVD itself all say is a DVD-A and DVD-V but its really just a DVD-V is frustrating. And on top it has the same flawed 5.1 mix that was on the 2005 DVD-A, showing Universal was lazy in not improving the 5.1 mixes of Colours Fly and the Catherine Wheel and Promised You a Miracle. The stereo LPCM versions of those tracks played through my Yamaha Amp with a surround setting sound better.

Why is it so hard for Universal to get everything right on these sets?

I’m pretty sure I pointed out early on that the DVD wasn’t a DVD-A, so regularly SDE readers shouldn’t have been surprised at that. It may not be 100% perfect, but not sure I’d brand Universal ‘lazy’ for putting out such a comprehensive and well-presented set.

• Derek Langsford says:

Yes, you warned long ago, soon after the set was announced, that the DVD was a DVD-V not a DVD-A so I was not surprised. But had the boxes, the DVD sleeve, and the DVDs themselves been printed before they realized that it would be just a DVD-V? A buyer could return the product as being mislabelled. I admit I don’t know the details of how a release likes this comes together and when deadlines occur but if Universal knew it was going to be a DVD-V months ahead of release, one would think they had time to either redo the artwork or make DVD-As so that all the mislabelling didn’t occur. The box says it was “Made in the Czech Republic” – does that have anything to do with the production timing issues?

I agree with John that the 2016 remaster has excessive low end and lacklustre high end. It’s no improvement from the original 1986(?) UK CD release.

Combined with not updating the 5.1 mixes of Colours Fly and Promised You A Miracle, there are three unforced errors with the set. Maybe lazy is the wrong word, but Universal are batting 0-3 on quality control on the Simple Minds Boxed Sets.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like having the box and the discs of other mixes, but I can’t sing the praises of the set as a whole.

I trust if you re involved with the TFF TSoL set, these types of errors will be rooted out before production. I have more faith in you than Universal.

• Paul R says:

Sadly the multitrack tapes for both Colours Fly and Promised You A Miracle were lost and presumably still missing.

• Paul R says:

Just seen part 3 – “Pete Walsh on New Gold Dream”.It now appears the original multitrack tapes for Promised You A Miracle have been located. Would be great to also release a track by track “Classic Album” based DVD.

121. John Thomson says:

I’ve enjoyed spending the last week with the NGD boxset and overall it is a very impressive package.

The extra alternative mixes disc is fantastic and finally being able to retire some of the Themes 2 tracks with superior versions is great. It’s great to have a CD first for the edit of the Glittering Prize theme as well.

I think the new artwork is great on all the disc sleeves and I’m using the new album cover from the official website on my server as I like the new interpretaion.

However, the 2016 remaster of the main album is an abomination in my opinion.
    Comparing the first 20 seconds of Glittering Prize to any of the other versions of GP (themes/edits/club mixes etc) on this box set it is quite clear that the top end has been shaved off.
    There has also been a mild bass boost, which is most noticeable in the Herbie Hancock keyboard solo of Hunter with the bass drum sounding boomier.

An increase in bass shouldn’t automatically mean a reduction in treble but it seems to be the case here.
    I’m not usually an obsessive with brightness, treble and crystal clear clarity at the top end, but I think it suits this album and all the other tracks on the rest of the discs seem to match the top end of the 2002 disc.

The three singles and the NGD track on the album all sound more boomy to me on the 2016 than the mixes on the other discs – even the alternative mixes disc, but maybe I need a hearing test.

I preferred the remasters of Sparkle & Once for the other two box sets, but this one won’t be on my server.

The extended mixes of the three singles are marginally quieter on this box set than the recent 2012 X5 box set and they sound better for it. It’s also great to have the extra US mixes of Promised You A Miracle.

I’ve always loved the instrumental remix of “Seeing Out The Angel” and the chord sequence as a prototype for Mandela Day years later is much more noticeable without the vocals and it sounds superb here.

I could have certainly done without two versions of the same NGD German Remix with a 5 second drum intro being the only difference, but I think Simon said a few weeks back that an instrumental was prepared but not used, so fair enough in the interest of completion.

If you re-sequence the tracks associated with the three singles on to one disc, the remaining tracks and the radio sessions will fit on another, which is great for the car – saving a whole disc.

It’s a shame that the surround mixes on the DVD aren’t lossless this time (despite being marked as DVD-A on the box, sleeve and disc along with DTS-HD Master logos!), but it’s been mentioned on the quadrophonic forum this is down to who authored the disc.

Ray Shulman did this one and he only does DVD-V’s, Neil Wilkes did the other two and he does DVD-A/V’s.

At least all the mixes are lossless on the Bluray.

The two TOTP clips are very blocky, but is no doubt source related and it seems like the remastered audio has been dubbed over the top, but they are good to have.

I believe PYAM on the Peel session has been pitch corrected as it is different to the couple of boots I have.

Apart from the remaster of the main album, this is a great package and I’m going to give the Alternative mixes another spin now whilst I read the booklets. A lot of time and effort must go into these projects, so well done to all involved, especially Simon Cornwell and looking forward to the next one!

122. For those who don’t want to buy the box but would like to have some of the extra tracks nevertheless. The first four CDs are available as mp3-tracks on the German platform flatster.de (category “Top Alben aktuelles Jahr”‘). If you take the 9,90 € code you get 100 mp3 tracks for it, that is 10ct for each track. It’s a internet radio recording service and therefor so cheap, but legal.

123. Derek Langsford says:

After comparing the original CD release with the 2016 remaster CD I am barely noticing any difference but volume. The 2003 tracks on the Best of sound different (cleaner, more treble, but less bass) and I am acquiring the 2003 remaster to compare the full album. The 2016 remaster is certainly not a revelation.

Derek

124. Steve says:

The worst thing I can mention about this SDE is the lack of CD Text encoding. Seems like such a simple, obvious thing these days. It’s not like they’re protecting their IP by leaving it out.

Which is to say – I’m super happy with the content of this set. Great price, a lot of fun stuff.

125. memoryboy says:

I am listening to this now. The actual album sounds…. muffled…. to me. Not a very good job on the remastering, in my opinion. But I notice the remaining discs sound excellent. It’s like they took the original album previously issued? (not sure if it was remastered) and added it to this. Discs 2 through 5 sound great. I can’t stand the sound quality on Disc 1 (The original album), what happened here? Ugh,… But the extra tracks for the remaining discs sound wonderfully remastered. So that’s good. But as for Disc one… It’s a shame.

• Derek Langsford says:

Glad others are noticing that Disc 1 is sub par and confirming I am not crazy. I am aware of 3 CD issues of this album and so far none live up to what could be accomplished with current technology. It’s as if the remasterer tried to make the 2016 CD sound different from the 2003 for the sake and ended yup cutting off the high end, boosting the bass, and pushing the vocals back further into the mix. I agree the extended and alternative mix discs save this boxed set but it is surprising that the main album disc, which Universal remastered fine on the prior SM boxed sets, disappoints in this one.

126. Tino Stabile says:

I have just ordered my box. What to say about such a quintessential and jewel in their catalogue. It has so much going for it. Promised you a Miracle, New Gold Dream, one of the best summertime songs ever… Someone somewhere in the Summertime, Big Sleep… Just an incredible album and now you get the longer versions as well…. to enjoy over and over. It looks like what this company did with the Tears for Fears box sets a while back.
    Cannot wait to receive it. A band that does not get the credit it deserves. Glad to see that this release is getting the respect it so deserves. Thank you.

127. memoryboy says:

Each remix of ‘Promised You A Miracle’ seems to have been taken from a different source, not sure what ones are from vinyl rip, cassette, master tapes…. but I am slightly disappointed all the tracks on this box set aren’t of the same high quality on sound. One of the remixes of ‘Promised You A Miracle’ has a more muffled sound, which is disappointing when you compare it to the other remixes. Each one remix of PYAM sounds different in sound quality and I havent been able to figure out which one I prefer (As far as sound quality), I am picky about this stuff and it is disappointing. But for the most part these box sets from Simple Minds have turned out to be a treasure. Can’t wait for any other album box sets they may have planned. Just wish all the tracks were the same in excellent sound quality.

128. Paul R says:

Tonight BBC 4 will be broadcasting the original Top Of The Pops 1982 April show. Featuring Simple Minds performance of Promised You A Miracle ,if anybody’s interested in making a comparison to the boxed set version.