Sky / The Studio Albums 1979-1987

All the albums • Remastered • Bonus DVD

Esoteric will next month issue The Studio Recordings 1979-1987 an eight-disc box set collecting the work of classical rock ‘supergroup’ Sky.

The band were formed in 1979 and featured the talents of guitarist John Williams, percussionist Tristan Fry, legendary bass player Herbie Flowers, Curved Air founder Francis Monkman (on keyboards – later replaced by Steve Gray) and guitarist Kevin Peek.

This clamshell box set contains all seven studio albums issued over a nine-year period with all audio remastered from the original master tapes.

In addition to the audio, this set also includes Sky – Live in Nottingham 1990, a DVD (NTSC, region free) of a performance recorded for Central Television on 24 June 1990. This footage has been restored and features a couple of un-broadcast performances (Toccata and Tuba Smarties).

The Studio Recordings 1979-1987 will be released on 30 March 2018.

Sky

The Studio Albums: 1979-1987 (Clamshell Boxset)

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 29.99

4. SYMPHONY NO. 34: LAST MOVEMENT
5. THE MAGIC FLUTE: OVERTURE
6. EINE KLEINE NACHTMUSIK: ROMANZA
7. HORN CONCERTO NO. 4 IN EB: RONDO
8. DON GIOVANNI: LA CI DAREM LA MANO
9. A MUSICAL JOKE: PRESTO
10. COME, SWEET MAY (SPRING SONG)
11. RONDO ALLA TURKA: RONDO

8. TUBA SMARTIES *
9. PRAELUDIUM
10. HOTTA
* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

19 responses to Sky / The Studio Albums 1979-1987

1. Bill Darlington says:

Pointless set. Any real fans will have the CDs or Esoterics earlier reissues already. The latter have bonus tracks which this set won’t. The completists will also have bought the Toccata Anthology for the few tracks not on the individual album reissues, but, as usual, Esoteric/Cherry Red missed the chance to do a complete re-issue: there are some tracks (such as the ‘The Spirit’) still to be released no CD.

2. feline1 says:

Going to just have to list grumbles about this, I’m afraid:
    – yet again, the DVD material will have been standards converted from the original PAL to NTSC, making for a reduction in picture quality and horrible jaggy line artefacts (particularly on the lads’ fretboards). The record company claims this is “for the US market”. Ho hum.

– The only new thing on here is the DVD. The boxset is in no way near complete, as it omits an entire album (Sky Five Live) and all the bonus material from the individual album re-issues – meaning that if you are a completeist, you have to buy all the individual releases AND this boxset, just to get the DVD. Cynical, really – why not just release the DVD standalone?

– As others have noted, there’s still a couple of missing B-sides (KP4 and The Spirit) that haven’t been re-issued.

– on the re-issued of Sky 2, the last Variation of “Gavotte and Variations” was missing! I wonder if that is corrected here?

• Adrian Grove says:

You need to see that the set is called Sky – The Complete Studios. Hence the omissions of Sky 5 live, I would have liked to have seen a separate cd included with all the odds and ends and the curios. Plus a cd release of Kevin Peeks solo works. The DVD would have been released as a stand alone release

3. Philip Birtwistle says:

Looking forward to a standalone of the DVD………………..

4. Mark Franklin says:

On the album SKY 3, I’m pretty sure it should be Dance of the Little Fairies, not big.

5. Andrew M says:

Took delivery of the anthology today after ordering last night. I’m now leaning towards the first album remastered version instead. But my partner loves everything and is still insisting on the box set.

6. Luke Jackson says:

I was hoping for a a remastered edition of the Westminster Abbey concert (my first gig, aged 7!). The first three albums are all classic but you have to be a bit of a diehard to venture beyond those. Really though, no amount of remastering is going to salvage those terribly dated keyboard sounds.

7. Stuart Allen says:

Looks good, but I’d have bought the original remasters first time round if the bonus DVDs weren’t NTSC. Was there any particular reason for this for a band who were mostly popular in PAL viewing countries?

8. Tim Martin says:

The expanded versions were good value. Only Great Balloon Race was a single cd with no extra tracks or a DVD (and Mozart but I wouldn’t bother with that one). Then they put out the Anthology and added the Bremen concert with extra tracks. Not bought that one as I resent buying 2 cds of music I already have just for the DVD at £18.00. Not sure who the market is for this release as anyone interested in everything will surely have bought the remasters already. The Nottingham DVD is not great in my view so the extra tracks may not persuade me. This means the outstanding unreleased song “The Spirit” will presumably remain unissued

• Andrew M says:

Cheers Tim.

I’ve now found all their albums on Apple Music. Listened briefly to all of them (had no idea they’d made so many albums) and liked what I heard (even Mozart!).

Have decided to go with this box set I think, although I used to love extra DVDs I can never watch them now (haven’t even watched the Prince one yet from Purple Rain and desperate to) so I know they’d go I watched.

• Bill Hammell says:

How does one obtain this song, “The Spirit”, being that it was not released? Thanks.

9. Andrew M says:

Ooh, sky! My parents had the first album when I was a kid. It was great! I loved it, so is it worth seeking out the Rest? Would this set be worth a blind purchase or are these re-releases mentioned available anywhere?

10. Nick says:

A more complete set would also need to include “Sky Five Live”, a wonderful double album that truly captured the magic of their live shows!

11. Chris says:

Is this a completely new remastering or the same as the individual expanded resissuss from a few years ago ?

12. Colin Harper says:

And yet still I believe there’s one B-side missing in all of the expanded reissues, a Best-of and now this! But the DVD content looked terrific in those individual sets. I’ve only bought the best-of so far, with a great German TV concert attached. The TV concert appended in the new box set looks a bit like the runt of the litter – John Williams had long departed.

13. Giles Kendrick says:

If anyone is really into Sky, a more complete collection is available by buying the albums individually. They all came out 2 or 3 years ago in expanded versions with a lot more extras than found here.