Sting / The Studio Collection vinyl box

The Studio Collection, a new Sting vinyl box set, will be released by A&M / Interscope Records in September…

The set features  Sting’s includes eight A&M Records albums across eleven vinyl LPs – The Dream Of The Blue Turtles (1985), …Nothing Like The Sun (1987) (2LP), The Soul Cages (1991), Ten Summoner’s Tales (1993), Mercury Falling (1996), Brand New Day (1999) (2LP), Sacred Love (2003) (2LP) and The Last Ship (2013).

sting_studio_official

Since Brand New Day and Sacred Love have never been issued on vinyl before, The Studio Collection is their debut on the format.

In terms of packaging, all of the included LPs will appear in ‘exact replicas’ of the original artwork and are presented in a ‘drawer’-style slipcase package. The records are 180g vinyl pressings, with brand new vinyl masters cut at Abbey Road Studios. It should be noted however, that none of the albums have been remastered.

The Studio Collection is out on 30 September 2016.

Sting

11. Little Wing
  12. The Secret Marriage

The Soul Cages

1. Island Of Souls
  2. All This Time
  3. Mad About You
  4. Jeremiah Blues (Part 1)
  5. Why Should I Cry For You?
  6. Saint Agnes And The Burning Train
  7. The Wild Wild Sea
  8. The Soul Cages
  9. When The Angels Fall

Ten Summoner’s Tales

1. If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
  2. Love Is Stronger Than Justice (The Munificent Seven)
  3. Fields Of Gold
  4. Heavy Cloud No Rain
  5. She’s Too Good For Me
  6. Seven Days
  7. Saint Augustine In Hell
  8. It’s Probably Me
  9. Shape Of My Heart
  10. Something The Boy Said
  11. Epilogue (Nothing ‘Bout Me)

Mercury Falling

Sacred Love

1. Inside
  2. Send Your Love
  3. Whenever I Say Your Name
  4. Dead Man’s Rope
  5. Never Coming Home
  6. Stolen Car (Take Me Dancing)
  7. Forget About The Future
  8. This War
  9. The Book Of My Life
  10. Sacred Love
  11. Send Your Love (Dave Aude Remix Edit Version)

The Last Ship

1. The Last Ship
  2. Dead Man’s Boots
  3. And Yet
  4. August Winds
  5. Language Of Birds
  6. Practical Arrangement
  7. The Night The Pugilist Learned How To Dance
  8. Ballad Of The Great Eastern
  9. What Have We Got? (feat. Jimmy Nail)
  10. I Love Her But She Loves Someone Else
  11. So To Speak (feat. Becky Unthank)
  12. The Last Ship (Reprise)

51 responses to Sting / The Studio Collection vinyl box

1. Rob says:

I really wish Sting would give us a box similar to Springsteen’s “Tracks.” There are so many non-LP b-sides, remixes, songs on tribute albums and movie soundtracks, etc… that you could easily fill up a 4 disc box set. Many of the early ones have never been released in a digital format.

It would also be nice if the albums that never got a 5.1 mix (Blue Turtles, Soul Cages, Mercury Falling) could get a 5.1 blu-ray treatment.

2. Gary says:

That’s pretty bad box art. He looks like he’s glued his finger to his eyebrow.

3. Paolo says:

It s my limit, i really don t get the point. Somebody please explain…

4. Denis Woods says:

Hopefully they are put out individually. Want the first three on vinyl. Have the Back to Black reissue of Ten Summoner’s Tales.

5. R.naud says:

Bit of a cheap affair. No book, no goodies in the shape of an extra album of b sides etc… The box cover is god awful and what about the “christmas’ album he released a few years back which is a studio album? Or is it considered as part of his ‘classical’ stuff?
    I have all the albums that were originally released on vinyl and the last 2 are not particularly good so I’ll pass…

6. frank says:

I guess it’s just me, but I have trouble buying a pricey “collection” of an artist still actively putting out new material.

I’m on the fence about this one…

7. Fat Old Bloke says:

Im hoping for a CD box of his movie, jazz, singles, B-Sides stuff

8. art says:

i prefer cds.

9. Leemer says:

That’s a nice price!

10. Matt Thurston says:

Love the first 5 albums. Lost interest after that. But just saw him at the Hollywood Bowl with Peter Gabriel and he sounds as good today as he did in the 80s.

Agree, the cover art is weak.

• Dave says:

Agree with Matt 100%.

And yes, I was pleasantly surprised at the Sting/PG concert. Denver show, at least. I hope they release individual concert CDs like PG did for Back to Front. I’m dying to have audio from this tour! Or a DVD, for that matter. Some of the rearrangements were breathtaking. Missed Manu Katche though; I hope all is well with him.

11. Carlton Fisher says:

On one hand, I can understand if they are “testing the waters” for further, more in depth releases, but why opt for something so completely safe that it borders on undesirable? Nothing extra at all, nothing rare, nothing new? Wouldn’t it make sense to “test the waters” to see what happens if something that in and of itself would have a broader appeal gets bought, rather than focusing on something that’s really only going to be for vinyl completists?

12. Glenn says:

Rolling Stone reported recently that he is working on a new ‘rock’ album.

• Anthony C says:

A video was posted on Sting.com on July 25, 2016 with Sting talking about the recording of his new album.

Cheers.

13. Piotr says:

I just noticed that Brand New Day has the Prelude to the End Of The Game and not the full version. This is disappointing especially since the Prelude was on the UK version to encourage fans to buy the Brand New Day CD single which contained the full version as the b side. Now that physical CD singles are obsolete it would have been nice to have the full End Of The Game on vinyl. Especially since its my favourite track from the era.

14. Joseph says:

He’s sending brain waves deep into your soul saying “Buy me….Buy me…..Buy me…..Buy me”. Or pondering if he forgot to feed the tabby.

15. karl says:

The Police would be nice for a vinyl boxset but Sting solo….ehhhh

16. Craig Hedges says:

I got really excited when I read the article title and scrolled down to see the awful cover. Shame it’s limited to the studio albums as I really liked Bring on the night. A bonus album would’ve been nice especially if it included Spread a little happiness.

17. Ben Williams says:

Will there be a CD studio albums collection? Not that that is the point here but would be nice.

18. Mike the Fish says:

Ten Summoner’s Tales is using the incomplete U.S. track listing. Terrible box cover shot. Looks like a poor 90s corporate management shot.

• Neil says:

What was incomplete on the U.S. track listing ?

• Anthony C says:

This isn’t incomplete. The USA and UK vinyl always had just 11 tracks. The UK had ‘Everybody Laughed But You’ on the CD as a bonus track.

Hope this clarifies.

• Mike the Fish says:

The U.S. CD also omitted Everybody Laughed.

• Gökhan says:

The US CD Single of “If I Ever Lose My Faith In You” offers “Everybody Laughed But You” and “January Star” (same song with different lyrics), plus the 1993 re-recorded version of “We Work The Black Seam”.

I have that single. Great version of We Work The Black Seam, and it’s the only place to get it on CD. It was a B-side to a seven-inch vinyl in the UK (Fields of Gold?) but remarkably not on ANY of the MANY CD singles!!

19. Boaz Halachmi says:

Wake me up when something really interesting is happening…

20. RJSWinchester says:

I initially thought Mr Sinclair had incorrectly posted the cover of a forthcomg Alfie Boe Christmas album. This just looks like something hastily thrown together in order to cash-in on vinyl before it falls out of fashion again.

21. Ben Williams says:

Sting on this box cover does look a bit like Neil Diamond on the Melody Road album cover…

He looks as comfortable in that leather jacket as Nick Rhodes did in those Paper Gods promo photos…

22. elliott buckingham says:

never really enjoyed sting once he left the police his solo stuff always sounded too safe he has imo maybe done 10 great solo songs

23. MiG says:

I think this is a great cover. He’s brooding with just the right amount of rough trade, but also sensitive and sophisticated. Upclass lounge or down the boozer? Could be either. And nicely subtle triangle arrangement. All in all, beautifully done…especially if you compare it to the godawful Bowie box in the previous post.

• RJSWinchester says:

Haha!

• MiG says:

My sincerity got laughed at! The key is to replace the word “STING” with the word “GORDON” and then see what you think…

Also, here’s a weird thing: you could crop it right down to his eyebrows without losing any information. I swear the bit you remove is actually Christian Slater.

24. Straker says:

Stop messing about with unwanted and unasked for vinyl boxes Gordon, and give us a Dream of the Blue Turtles SDE on CD.

25. Greg says:

Zero effort. No bonus material. Made from existing digital sources. Zero interest, even when Amazon starts unloading the excess stock of these 6 months down the road for $40. Clearest money grab of the year.

26. Nigel says:

His first album cast a very long shadow after everything else. I bought Mac the Knife as a b-side, was the a-side Moon over Bourbon St? I saw him at the Manchester Apollo in 1986, I’m sure the ticket was £6.50? Still got the HUGE programme.

27. Bill says:

He obviously has added some hair to his head either by way of toupee or transplant so maybe that is why he looks a bit like Neil Diamond on the Melody Road album cover.

28. Neil says:

It’s 2016 and we still haven’t had a DVD of all his videos. Between him and Peter Gabriel their reluctance to resissue their back catalogues with b sides and the like is extremely annoying.

29. Ian says:

A&M must really hate Sting to have created that cover art. It looks like a mail order only Time Life slipcase. The typeface! The airbrushing! Surely signed off by someone that knew they were being made redundant. Some good albums, a couple of excellent ones, but a ‘Volume 1′ feel to it. Surely a new fan would buy a couple of old LPs and a collector would get little satisfaction outside of the two vinyl debuts.

30. John Moore says:

What absolute waste of everyones’s time – this makes you wonder did Sting actually get asked- this will be heavily discounted later- DON’T BUY IT- one to skip- what a missed opportunity!

31. tyrone tudor says:

That artwork is rubbish – who decides these things? He looks drunk!!

32. Anthony C says:

It’s interesting to see the price drop 40 pound already just after two days on sale!

:-)

33. Anthony C says:

The new album 57th & 9th is out on 11th November- in case anyone is interested.

:-)

34. Steve Foster says:

A wasted opportunity… Sting is incredibly prolific and always has been. There’s a vast wealth of material that could have been included had this been a multi-CD Box Set… live recordings, B Sides, non-English Language recordings, previously unissued live recordings, Demo’s… such a shame that neither he nor his Record Company seem even the least bit interested in releasing something that I and millions of others would happily pay good money to own.

35. -sg- says:

Even though the sound was excellent, nothing like the sun was a really disruptive listen on vinyl with only three songs per side. I remember feeling that it was not a proper double album, and really needed atleast 4 more songs to qualify…. But as a single disc it is excellent, with the exception of rock steady, whick could have easily been a b side. The cover for the box really is not very good, I just dont see sting wearing a leather biker jacket in real life. I think it would have looked much better incorporating aspects of the albums it contains, with an emphasis on the 1985-1993 period. A deluxe box containing his collaborations, soundtracks and outtakes would be something that many Sting fans really want, and could easily take up 6 discs.

36. Tim says:

The saddest thing of all is how great the remixed Blue Turtles tracks off the 25 Years box (another ho hum collection) tease us with what Might Have Been.

37. baward says:

My reckoning of boxes like this is that the individual albums are always intended for release, once the ‘premium’ multi-disc collection for people with deep pockets is out of the way. It makes sense if its like that.