The Stone Roses to issue a new single

stoneroses_newsingle

We’ve already seen Radiohead issue their new album on a Sunday in the last few days, and now The Stone Roses are joining in this release tomfoolery with a brand new single, planned for 8pm this evening.

The band left the brief announcement on their facebook page and no other details are forthcoming at this point in time. Given the putting-the-kids-to-bed timing, one can only presume that your local record emporium won’t be working overtime with physical product ready at ’20 hundred hours’ – rather this will, at least initially, be a digital release. Hell, maybe they’ll just bung something up on YouTube or Soundcloud – who knows! Labels and artists do play fast and loose with the phrase “releasing a single” these days (see: Duran Duran who haven’t ‘bothered’ with a physical single for nine years).

The Mancunians have a number of shows planned for this year including four nights at Manchester’s Etihad Stadium in mid June and a venue with a slightly more rock ‘n’ roll pedigree, Madison Square Garden at the end of next month. The Stone Roses’ last single was Begging You from late 1995 which peaked at number 15 in the UK (although a four-track live EP, Crimson Tonight, was issued in Japan and Australia).

Update: The song is called “All For One” – you can listen to it below.

A twentieth anniversary of their self-titled debut was issued in 2009 but so far a second coming of The Second Coming has not been forthcoming. However Sony will be issuing The Very Best of The Stone Roses on 2LP vinyl on 10 June 2016.

The Stone Roses

1. Breaking into Heaven
2. One Love
3. This Is the One
4. I Am the Resurrectio

26 responses to The Stone Roses to issue a new single

1. Iain McCarthy says:

About time for some new material! The reunion was announced in November 2011 and it has taken until now.

2. Steven Campbell says:

Although I have it on CD I wouldn’t mind that best of on vinyl though I think Amazon UK is getting the arm in with the price as usual. I know it usually does come down when it’s released but it’ll not be that much, I mean yes you can order it from other countries cheaper but then you have greater shipping costs and also consequently if it turns out to be a faulty or bad pressing it costs more to send it back. I love my vinyl but the one issue I have with newer pressings versus back in its heyday is that the quality of the pressings aren’t there as it can be hit and miss as to whether you get a good one or not.

• Richie says:

If you get a faulty copy from let`s say Amazon France, they will have to pay your return costs. A benefit of being in the EEC means we are covered by the same consumer laws which means in this case if you are sold faulty goods the seller is liable for any return costs incurred. Seeing as you are buying with Amazon, they will organise for the item to be picked up from your home or return via normal postal services at their expense.

• rob deighton says:

Not necessarily… I bought a 2lp reissue of Queen’s Innuendo from Amazon Germany last year and the first disc was faulty. I contacted them (through the website which allows you to contact them in English) and they sent out a brand new copy and said I could keep the faulty one to save on the costs of sending back.

3. JWL says:

The tracks from Second Coming on this album were just ripped from the original CD because Geffen wouldn’t let John Leckie have access to the master tapes, so the vinyl version of those don’t represent any upgrade.

• MFG says:

From the Very Best liner notes: “All tracks Re-Mastered by Chris Blair at Abbey Road Studios from the original master tapes. Re-Mastering of all tracks was overseen by John Leckie, except for tracks 3, 6, 10 & 12 which were overseen by Simon Dawson.”

If you compare the sound files visually, side-by-side, the Second Coming songs from the Very Best CD look different than the original versions. So there was some remastering done, apart from the obvious fade-in for Breaking Into Heaven, and fade-out for Ten Storey Love Song. Granted, it’s hard for me to note much of a difference in sound quality.

4. Gazelle says:

I find myself quite excited by the announcement of a new single to be released at 20:00.
    1 hour 40 mins to go…

5. Gazelle says:

According to DJ Dave Haslam’s Twitter account “the new Stone Roses single sounds like ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ by the Beatles, esp. the guitar & drums…”

Insider knowledge or wild speculation?

6. Gazelle says:

It is called “All For One”.

It sounds like a Seahorses’ cast off.

Hmmm…

7. JWL says:

Nobody could’ve expected a I Wanna Be Adored, but it’s a decent enough track. Can’t agree with it being a Seahorses cast-off – that Seahorses album was seriously seriously poor. However, if this track represents the very best of all their new material, they shouldn’t have bothered reforming.

8. Chris Lancaster says:

Very dull song, unfortunately. And with twenty years to work on the lyrics, you’d have thought they could do better than that…

9. Paul Fraser says:

This song is written for crowd singing. Simple, football chant singing. It will go down very well at the gigs.

10. HY says:

They CANCELLED (not postponed) 2 gigs in Tokyo … aaaaagh!

11. Joseph says:

Not overly remarkable, but I rather like it.

12. DaveM says:

I like it, but to me it’s more like a ‘bridge track’ like Don’t Stop off the first album rather than a single. The guitar is great.

13. Mike says:

Is Ian Brown holding his sbest ongs for his solo career?

14. Brian says:

Shark sandwich

15. Honestly, better than I expected. Sounds oddly Oasis-y to my ears.

16. Adam says:

Not bad, not great, but not bad. Eminently hummable, at any rate. Looking forward to (rather than dreading) additional new material based on this effort.

You can preorder physical copies here (instant download included): http://thestoneroses.shop.musictoday.com/store/ (No word on additional tracks on either format though; seems pretty weak to me.)

17. Paul Sinclair says:

FYI I’m not allowing any links to SpinCDs. Since they steal my content and neither apologise or even acknowledge the matter when it is brought up.

• Dominic says:

Good on you. I used to support Spin back in the day, but had a string of problems a year or two back (inc. poor customer service) and no longer order from them. A shame, as I’d rather give money to small retailers than to Amazon, but still…

18. Alan says:

The band’s website is offering a single bundle which contains the seven inch, CD and download which saves you 50p if you buy all three separately. If you buy the seven inch and CD separately you can save 50p on that bundle! You don’t get the download but why would anyone want to pay for a download when you can rip it from your CD. Most artists give you a free download if you order the vinyl. To charge for is a bit naughty.

19. Adey says:

Sounds more like def leppard than stone roses to me (childish lyrics/ far too commercial sound/ no effort put into it). I really hope the album has much better tracks on it, and it doesn’t end up as career suicide for them.
    I suppose this is what happens when a band who released one of the best debut albums of all times tries to recreate the past almost 30 years later. I’m so glad led zep or the smiths haven’t reformed and tried to release a brand new album, it just destroys the legacy.

20. Gazelle says:

Apparently, ‘All For One’ is currently sitting at number one in this week’s Official Trending Chart…

21. Pingback:Out This Week / on 10 June 2016 | superdeluxeedition