Suede / Coming Up: 20th anniversary super deluxe edition

suede_comingup

4CD+DVD set. Limited edition comes with bonus 10-inch.

Suede’s third album Coming Up will be issued as a five-disc 20th anniversary super deluxe edition next month, with a special coloured double vinyl edition also on offer…

The 1996 long-player shoved two fingers in the air to critics who predicted Suede were a spent force after Bernard Butler had departed (shortly before 1994’s Dog Man Star was completed) and achieved something the previous album hadn’t, by being a big commercial success with an incredible five top ten hit singles during the 1996/7.

Trash and The Beautiful Ones in particular are to this day stalwarts in live sets and as with previous 45s, the string of singles produced an even bigger string of B-sides/extra tracks, some of which were as good as, if not better, than some album tracks. Europe Is Our Playground, Another No One, Young Men, Every Monday Morning Comes, and Sam come to mind.

This new super deluxe edition features the album, the B-sides, a CD of previously unreleased demos and monitor mixes and an unreleased Amsterdam concert from 1996. The DVD features various BBC TV performances (including five Top Of The Pops), and an hour-long film of the band and producer Ed Buller discussing the writing and recording of the album with Pete Paphides, all issued for the first time.

suede_comingup2

All of the above comes packaged in a book which includes a new note from Brett Anderson about the creation of the cover image, along with the lyrics, hand-written lyric drafts, tape boxes, and photos from the band’s collections.

A 750-only limited edition (Amazon UK Exclusive) includes a bonus three-track ten-inch single which features the first recordings with then new member Richard Oakes. The tracks are Asda Town, Together and Bentswood Boys. These were originally issued as Dog Man Star B-sides/extra tracks. The ‘normal’ super deluxe version simply excludes this single and is slightly cheaper.

A double gatefold yellow vinyl edition is also available. The second record in this set offers a selection of B-sides.

Coming Up will be reissued on 30 September 2016.

Suede

Bonus tracks

• 11. Europe Is Our Playground [‘Sci-Fi Lullabies’ version]
  • 12. Trash [‘Singles’ version]

CD 2:

B-SIDES

• 1. Europe Is Our Playground [original version]
  • 2. Have You Ever Been This Low?
  • 3. Another No One

• 1. Trash
  • 2. Saturday Night
  • 3. Lazy

MERCURY MUSIC PRIZE 1997 [28.8.97]

• 1. By The Sea

BONUS DVD FEATURE

Brett Anderson, Richard Oakes, Neil Codling, Mat Osman and producer Ed Buller discuss “Coming Up”, track-by-track, with Pete Paphides

Bonus 10″ on limited version

7. Jumble Sale Mums
8. Feel
9. Sadie
10. Duchess

60 responses to Suede / Coming Up: 20th anniversary super deluxe edition

1. Aevion says:

This looks amazing! Shame I just bought all their 2011 deluxe editions not long ago.

2. Phil Wilson says:

It looks like the b-sides from the cassette singles are still MIA, Picnic by the motorway live for example. I wonder if the demo of By The Sea is the same one that appeared on the beautiful ones cassette? It would be nice to have these as the b-sides, understandably, repeat those on the last deluxe edition. Also, a minor gripe but could they not have found a longer live show, 14 tracks is not a typical Suede show from this era

3. Adam says:

Bit of a job brainer for me. Still love the album. A little bit pricey, but couldn’t resist the very limited edition.

4. Godzilla Kiwi says:

Oasis take note, why Definitely Maybe didn’t contain the DVD released a few year prior I’ll never know

5. David Blaydes says:

I wonder how many of the yellow vinyl edition are being pressed?

6. Richard says:

Great another whole in the budget … but I was at the Paradiso concert on October 20th 1996 spending 20 HFL at that time which is about 9.00 Euro Looks Amazing ORDERED

Same design boxes for other albums PLS

7. Alvy Singer says:

Deluxe edition and yellow vinyl for me. I love this album.

8. Elliot says:

I think I’m going to wait for a price drop on this one. I own the 2011 deluxe editions which covers a lot of tracks on here. I would have liked to see a longer live disc with a version of Picnic by the Motorway to be honest.

9. Eamonn says:

A pity the Dog Man Star super-deluxe wasn’t as “generous” as this. Forty quid more expensive and didn’t even include the album on vinyl! Cassette and a plastic bag indeed.

10. Mark says:

Agree with others. The old deluxe editions cover a lot of this. Maybe if it comes down around Black Friday…..

11. Phil Wilson says:

Whilst I think this looks great, and I love Suede, and have ordered it I cannot understand why they would put the singles version of Trash on disc one but leave off:

By The Sea (original demo) from the Beautiful Ones cassette
    Picnic by the Motorway (live) from the Saturday Night cassette
    She (live) from the Lazy cassette
    Filmstar (original demo) from the Filmstar cassette

At least the other missing b-sides (Saturday Night demo, Rent and Saturday Night with PSB) were on the CDs in the single box, but these 4 trcaks have not appeared elsewhere, I also think there may have been a live By The Sea on a Select Magazine Cassette.

Whilst there are two schools of thought on completeness, do they go for the warts and all approach like the New Gold Dream Box, which is exhaustive (but a bit exhausting in one listen), or do they produce a standalone package with the best tracks as they see them. Probably too late to force a Bros style rethink on adding those tracks to disc 1, but it would be nice

For the demos they are obviously trying to complement the earlier set, which makes sense. They did the 2CD+DVD which didn’t have enough space for *everything* and now with this set, I guess they are reluctant to repeat more than is needed, because that won’t be attractive to many prospective purchases. So neither set ends up being a Simple Minds/ Tears For Fears style ‘complete’ package. If the 2011 set didn’t exist then you would have more than likely got something close to what you are talking about with this set, but together, both sets – more or less – cover everything issued (and a lot more).

• Aevion says:

There’s also a slightly different version of Filmstar on the 2010 best-of with a longer intro. Not sure where this particular edit is from though.

12. Marcel says:

Minor Dutchman’s Nitpick: it should be live at Paradiso, Amsterdam. It was never ‘The Paradiso’.

13. Phil Wilson says:

It’s going to be an expensive few months with the two Marion reissues coming out (This world and body and The program).

14. -sg- says:

Well if they included the cassette singles, there would be nothing to buy when they release the re:collected set in the box set 25 years from now.
    Honestly, the place for those b-sides was the vinyl singles box, as they were the true equivalent of a b-side. However this is a neat set that i will inevitably need to get someday. Yellow vinyl 10″ is cool but i don’t really need that one. The original version of we’re so disco would have made sense here as well as it has only appeared on a dvd single. Implement yeah! Was also recorded as a b-side for filmstar and was also released as a live fan club single. Oh well, no one says you have to buy this and if you are a “real fan,” you already have all of those b-sides right? Haha.

15. Richard John says:

Wondering if the tracks on the 10″ are worth the extra £13 or not. I know it’s only 750 copies, so there’s the rarity factor, but still.

Only you know the answer to that one! :)

• RJSWinchester says:

Buy it and in a few months sell it on eBay or Discogs and use the profit you make to buy the non limited edition copy when it appears here as an SDE deal alert! It’s a no brainer!

16. Caroline says:

Is Feel going to be unedited this time? Part of me hopes not…

Overall, it’s a good set, I just don’t know if I “need” those demos and live takes that will likely be played once and filed.

17. Paolo says:

Pass on this one like I did with the DMS 20th anniversary box. I’m a huge Suede fan but honestly I’m a bit fed up with such endless reissuing of their back catalogue. It’s been quite a messy all-over-the-place exploitation in the last 6 years, if they had in mind to release anniversary editions I wonder why they went with the 2CD+DVD deluxe sets before. And it’s not that they couldn’t reissue the albums before the actual anniversaries, since they have done with the discography box sets, both vinyl and CD, so why?

Suede own and control their own catalogue. They have chosen to work with Edsel on everything that has been issued since 2011, so it hardly qualifies as “exploitation”.

• Paolo says:

I know that they own their back catalogue, I actually meant that Suede did exploit it knowingly. If you make a quick search you’ll find that they’ve reissued their stuff countless times on multiple formats since they reformed back in 2010. This to me looks like an exploitation. It is under the band’s control, yes, but from a fan perspective is probably even more annoying. Just my opinion though.

I don’t need to do a search, I’ve covered everything on this blog!! Also, that’s how bands make a living, by exploiting their catalogue. They play it live, they sometimes benefit from it being used in films/advertising, and they reissue it. I wouldn’t criticise a plumber mate of mine for ‘exploiting’ his talents and mending people’s toilets.

• Paolo says:

Yeah, I know you don’t need to do a search, I was talking in general there. I think that bands can still make a living out of their back catalogue without rehashing it every 6 months with a new release, as long as their records are in print. My point is that it feels a bit tricky when you have a Best Of released and marketed as an exclusive chance to get those songs remastered and then 6 months later all of the albums with related B-sides comes out in that same remastered version. If you knew in advance you probably wouldn’t have taken the Best Of at all and waited for the deluxe albums. Same logic when you release a pricey box set including all of your records on vinyl LPs and then four months later all the records become available separetely, at an overall lower price, of course. And here’s the same, you got a deluxe edition in 2011 that was supposed to be kinda complete but now you put out another one that’s dubbed as a 20th anniversary edition where you put out a whole CD of other demos and alternate takes, plus a live CD as well, demanding your fanbase to buy yet again this album and all its B-sides that were already available in multiple other releases. It’s their music and they can do whatever they want, I’m just saying that as a fan it’s a bit upsetting.

• RJSWinchester says:

Just hang on in and wait for either the 25th or 30th Anniversary edition!

18. RJSWinchester says:

This is great news for Suede fans, a second SDE within the space of a few years. All I want are individual SDE versions of Prince’s albums 78-88 and a comprehensive albums and rarities box set of Curtis Mayfield’s 70-76 output. I’m not holding my breath!

19. Robert says:

I have all the 2cds+dvd sets which, I thought at the time, were the best bargains for a special editions. The concerts/videos added to each set shouldve been an example on how to properly do a SE set. I ordered the limited edition one here as well and Amazon knocked off 10gbp so at 49 its a good deal.

20. Craig says:

A buy for me, but not the version with the 10″ single. A decent enough package – and not forcing vinyl on anyone that doesn’t want it – all in all far better than the dire DMS 20th box (which is the only one of the many Suede reissues I’ve never got despite it being my favourite album of theirs). A price drop to about £30 would may be persuade me to get the DMS box !

21. Gary C says:

For me, I think the big difference with a band like Suede and the reissue by Simple Minds, is the number of individual songs to enjoy. Tears For Fears I’d tag there too.
    New Gold Dream has 10 actual songs credited to its period I guess, with b-sides and live tracks all being from previous albums.
    Songs From The Big Chair this time has 12 songs credited to that period. You can argue about whether some of these are rehashes of other songs or not…they do have different titles…

Coming Up has 10 album tracks, plus a further 17 bona fide songs attached to that period as b-sides or whatever. Then all the demo’s and live versions.

I’m a long time fan of all three bands, but the wealth of material to revisit and enjoy lies with Suede in this case. I understand the former albums were released in a different commercial landscape, so b-sides to fill multiple CD singles was needed etc. For SM and TFF you have picture discs and extended versions of the singles on 12 inch vinyl.

Glittering Prize has 11 versions on the 58 track NGD set
    Shout has 10 versions on the 72 track SFTBC set
    Trash has 4 versions on the 63 track Coming Up set

Good comment. The quality of Suede’s extra tracks for the first 3 Coming Up singles in particular, was astonishing.

• Stan Butler says:

Unbelievable in this day and age to think that a band would produce 17 extra songs (as well as a few demos and live tracks) to fill out singles for one album release! That’s one of the reasons why I love Suede, the sheer depth of their material. Their b-side output alone (and that includes those from Head Music & A New Morning, which tend to get overlooked) would be enough to rank them with the best of their era. How “This Time” was not on the album I’ll never know, as Brett acknowledged on the 2011 releases when he picked his alternative Coming Up listing.

22. Jorje Chica says:

I already own the original vinyl album, CD singles, cassette and 7 inch singles that had rare demos and live tracks, and the free magazine tapes/CDs that cover this period. The few new demos and live show won’t be enough to entice me again (I bought the first three of the 2011 reissues). A truly complete reissue of Coming Up would have also included the live tracks that were exclusive to the original US double CD and that were later issued as a fanclub CD.

Oh, and I would have buried Digging a Hole, Feel, Graffiti Women, and Duchess in the deepest, darkest pit and never let them see the light of day again. But that’s just my opinion.

• RJSWinchester says:

“A truly complete reissue of Coming Up would have also included the live tracks that were exclusive to the original US double CD and that were later issued as a fanclub CD.”

They’ll no doubt be on the inevitable 25th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition!

23. Simon Taylor says:

When i saw the double yellow vinyl i was going to ask is this 45rpm as the album is single vinyl length, i have a black vinyl copy from 90’s but 2nd disc with b-sides. Hmmmmmmm? Quite intriguing. Have to admit when i saw this news earlier i rolled my eyes as i have the 2cd deluxe edition with their terrible packaging, spines all squashed/bent, but even i have to admit i love this album and the b-sides. Keeping my eyes peeled.

24. Martijn says:

This looks delicious. 2 CDs and a DVD with mostly new stuff, what looks like a nice book. No cassette or plastic bag. Ordered.

25. lee says:

I love the album, but subtract the 2011 SE content (including in my opinion a vastly superior DVD) and the cost just doesn’t justify the new stuff. I am writing this with a heavy heart, as it does look brilliant.

26. Rik Skyline says:

Suede ditches the avant garde and goes pop with Coming Up, but I do love this album. It’s a shame that the DMS 20th anniversary edition was not similar to this. That was a rather ridiculous release that included a plastic carrier bag and a cassette with ‘original 1994 inlay’ – wow, amazing! They didn’t even sell out of the Collector’s Edition with it’s ‘alternative colour treatment’ and they ended up on Amazon 2 years later for £117.48. It would be great if Suede would release the instrumental version of Night Thoughts in the UK instead of it being a limited Japanese release.

27. Kauwgompie says:

Paul, when I order the box from Amazon UK would the DVD then still be NTSC (like the Blur box 21)? Living in the USA I always made sure to order boxes that contain a DVD from a USA based outlet. I was pleasantly surprised the DVD in the Blur 21 box was NTSC even though it comes from Germany. Is the norm NTSC for these box sets or it it different each time?

28. Dennis says:

Think I have to give in and buy the album again (4th time I think…)…
    On a slight sidenote – how come Elastica’s fab debut has never seen a (super) deluxe edition though?

29. Jonathan says:

Couldn’t resist on ordering the CD+DVD+10″ set and the double yellow vinyl, treated myself with this birthday present!

Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise – the best birthday presents are the ones you buy yourself :) I do like what they’ve done with the vinyl… adding the B-sides and a coloured pressing.

30. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 13 August 2016 | superdeluxeedition

31. David Blaydes says:

Paul have amazon confirmed the box with vinyl is limited to 750 only thanks

32. Kauwgompie says:

Ordered the limited edition. On Amazon it says it’s limited to 500 but if the label tells you 750, im sure it is 750.
    Expensive weekend. First the Blur 21 box, now the Siede ltd edition box. Thanks Paul!!!

33. Robert says:

Is a monitor mix a backing track??

34. Aleks says:

Next giant deluxe edition from demonmusicgroup must be DOG MAN STAR with the same (or bigger) treatment. Hope so…

• Martijn says:

Not sure they’d get away with it so soon after the last 2 Dog Man Star reissues, but I’d buy the whole catalogue all over again if they did the reissues like the Coming Up one here. Hell, I’ve bought about 4 copies of Head Music so far, so why stop now?

35. Gary C says:

Some fantastic coverage of Suede at the Korea Pentaport festival this year including this

36. Greg says:

No 5.1 surround mix?

37. Counter says:

Hmmm..first one site said limited to 500, super deluxe says limited to 750, now Amazon says limited to 1000. Any one know what’s going on behind the increases?