Suede vinyl box set update

Demon Records have issued an update to fans who ordered the Suede Studio Albums 93 – 16 vinyl box set last year and were unhappy with the vinyl pressing of Night Thoughts.

The label were quick to acknowledge the error – to do with song segues on the four sides of vinyl of the 2016 album –  and vowed to fix the issue. Additionally, they will address the problem of badly damaged inner sleeves on some records for some customers.

They have issued the following statement today:

“Thank you for your patience whilst we have been dealing with the recent Suede errors.

The replacement vinyl is due to arrive next week so please follow the below process to obtain your replacements:

Please email the DMG info line (info@demonmusicgroup.co.uk) and attach your proof of purchase

Please include your name and full postal address including post code/zip code.

If you also have damaged sleeves, please state exactly which sleeves have been affected and these will be posted out with your replacement vinyl

The replacements will be ready to ship from the 11/01/2018. You will be notified via email once they have been posted to you.

33 responses to Suede vinyl box set update

1. Nuno Videira says:

I wrote to them and also included my Amazon invoice. But I haven’t heard anything….

2. Tony O says:

My replacements arrived today and I requested inner sleeves for the damaged ones but Oh My God my OCD has just gone into overdrive, some of the replacements are identical and some have the catalogue numbers from the 2013 Demon reissue vinyls and to add insult to injury when comparing the box sets I have one of the vinyls (head music) does not have the correct inner sleeve to start with aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

Original – a new morning 1 inner demrec359

Replacements – head music 2 inners insatiable 4 a/b insatiable 4 c/d

Original – night thoughts 2 inners DEMREC367 DEMREC367
    Replacements – night thoughts 2 inners DEMREC367 DEMREC367

Original – suede 1 inner DEMREC355
    Replacements – suede 1 inner INSATIABLE 1

3. Chris Squires says:

Can’t ask for more that that. Replacement discs duly arrived this morning and all of the replacement sleeves that I asked for. They did send an email to say they were on their way and they turned up two days later. Other than getting it right in the first place they couldn’t have done much more. My hat is off to DMG. thank You.

4. Rob S says:

My replacement ‘blue’ discs just arrived!

5. Peter says:

Apparently they were due to start shipping last Friday and send out notice of shipment.

Not heard anything yet,

6. PHILIP GILES says:

Thanks Paul for the update. Not sure if anyone else has had similar problems with the Simple Minds Rejuvenation box set. All 5 albums had the inner sleeves badly split upon arrival, so I have mentioned this to Demon as well. Hopefully they will sort out the quality issues, as certainly we are paying quality prices for these box sets.

7. Peter Anderson says:

Been watching the price of this one yo-Yoing for the past few weeks on AmazonUK. Currently £84 which is as low as it has got.

8. Tom says:

Thanks Paul for the update – I can’t see anywhere that Demon have confirmed they will replace the blue edition from the Amazon exclusive box for a re-pressed blue edition (which was also affected), so I’m hoping they’ll take note of the order info in the proof of purchase. I’ll be pretty miffed if they send me a black vinyl edition, which would defeat the entire point of the box set.

• Tony O says:

Tom – from the demon web site “attach your proof of purchase (as this will let us know whether you have the exclusive or standard edition)” this means they will know what version of the box set you bought

• Noel says:

i think they will have colored replacements because in the statement they instructed customers to specify which edition they got. surely they will be giving like for like replacements.

9. jason says:

These looked amazing when I first saw them advertised, but I guess I’ll just keep the earlier box after hearing the negative comments. I like having Sci-Fi Lullabies and bought the new records as they were released and the recent deluxe version of the debut, but anymore, it’s getting hard to know which versions of these things to keep as definitive. Maybe they just want us to have choices and that keeps the registers ringing, and I guess it couldn’t happen to a more deserving band.

10. David Carter says:

Its not just me who’s copies of the first two albums are full of ridiculous amounts of surface noise then, a real shame as the presentation is fantastic

Thanks for the update Paul

11. DJB says:

My recent experience of vinyl reissues is poor, either due to surface noise or warping. If vinyl is to be the saviour of the physical music industry, this needs to be sorted. No such issues with streaming or downloads or CDs.

• Chris Squires says:

Your main point is a valid one, but there are still many issues with CD / DVD on recent re-issues. Vinyl does need to up it’s game, but that should hold for the whole re-issue industry across all formats, the phrase I hear most often is “Does nobody check this stuff?”.

From duff Soft Cell DVDs to the numpty who printed “The Kick Insde” on the spine of many Kate Bush re-issues. (Mine included).

• RJS says:

But that’s a different issue. With CDs you never have to worry about things that can go wrong during the physical production that leads to warping and surface noise. Looking at the comments on Discogs for the reissue of David Axelrod’s Song of Innocence, some people received sub standard vinyls with all sorts of issues whilst for others there were no such problems. Everyone who bought the CD will, just like me, will have a perfect sounding CD.

12. Hasse says:

Anyone else but me having issues with Suede? I think the noise level is too high and I also experience lots of crackles. Dog Man Star is also worse than the rest of the records. Damon replied that they will not replace it.

• Eamonn says:

Not surprised, in his heart of hearts he must know that Suede released a better album in 1994 than Blur did.

13. Wes Headley says:

Thanks Paul. I wish Night Thoughts was the only problem with this set. The album “Suede” is almost unlistenable due to heavy surface noise and dish warping, “Dog Man Star” was labeled with the side one label used on both sides of disc one which also suffers from excessive surface noise and non-fill. “Coming Up” is also hard to listen to thanks to excessive non-fill, ticks and pops spread throughout. I spent time trying to clean these discs with my RCM but it made little difference. Overall this was pretty disappointing. You can visit discogs to see other comments. I’ve written Demon with the details and am awaiting a reply.

• Paul Taylor says:

I know hindsight’s a wonderful thing but I’m kind of glad I cancelled my order for this before it was released judging by the problems folk have had

14. Peter Muscutt says:

Saying that, could they send a new outer box so there’s space to fit The Blue Hour in too? Oh, and re-title the box set obviously…ok ok I’m asking for too much there!!!!

15. Peter says:

All sorted Paul thanks.

I have zero issues with the inner sleeves, all perfect, just wondered why / how this issue with them occurred. Expect I got the same packaging from Amazon as everyone else ??

Well done to Demon for addressing the issue without any hesitation.

16. GentleRabbit says:

So glad they’ve come through. My box arrived in such a state.

17. voxstarstream says:

At least Demon didn’t suffer a “loss of energy” ;)

18. Peter Muscutt says:

Thanks for letting us know Paul.

Realise a few people were miffed with the error occurring in the first place, but kudos to Demon for getting the replacement sleeves out too…

Hopefully they’ll be here soon!

19. Hugh Hall says:

Excellent news. Thank you for keeping us updated on this issue.

20. Nigel says:

Big thank you Paul. What would we do without you!

21. Bernard Naughton says:

Great stuff thanks Paul Happy New Year to you

22. Noel says:

thanks for the update Paul.

Looks like I’m going to make some accessories out of the two faulty LPs.

23. Marcel says:

Thanks for the heads up, Paul. Much appreciated!