Tears For Fears / Rule The World – The Greatest Hits / new compilation

Two new songs • Selections span all studio albums  • no deluxe edition

Virgin/EMI will issue Rule The World: The Greatest Hits, a new Tears For Fears compilation, in November.

The 16-track, one-CD collection will include singles from all six Tears For Fears studio albums (including the two where Curt Smith wasn’t a member) as well as a couple of new songs, the rather anthemic I Love You But I’m Lost (the new ‘single’) and Stay.

The set is non-chronological, which is probably sensible, but inevitably is defined by the big hits from the 1980, including their two US chart-toppers Everybody Wants To Rule The World and Shout. The former is probably presumed to be a UK number one, but it actually peaked at number two – the band have never reached the top of the singles chart in Britain.

Rule The World is by no means a complete collection of 45s; their debut Suffer The Children is missing, as is Tears Roll Down which featured on – and was issued as a single to promote – their 1992 collection Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82–92). Eleven of the 12 tracks on that set are included on Rule The World. Non-album single The Way You Are – issued between The Hurting and Songs From The Big Chair and famously hated by the band – is an unsurprising absentee.

The last three studio albums Elemental (1993), Raoul and The Kings Of Spain (1996) and Everybody Loves A Happy Ending (2004/5) delivered 11 singles around the world, but only three feature on this collection, the best-known being Break It Down Again (a top 30 hit on both sides of the Atlantic).

Apart from Shout which is labelled as the ‘edit’, there is no indication which ‘versions’ of songs we are getting. There were loads of single/radio versions created for Woman in Chains for example, but the likelihood is that it will be the album cut. Pale Shelter will be the second version (the hit) not the 1982 original and I Believe will inevitably be the ‘Soulful Re-Recording’ issued as single number five from Songs From The Big Chair.

There is no deluxe edition (with rarities), no multi-disc expanded version of this set (with more of their singles), and no exclusive editions from their website – just this fairly straightforward single disc release, which is also available as a 2LP vinyl package. We can expect the new songs to appear on the band’s forthcoming album, which is likely to surface next year. There will also be a 2018 UK tour.

I would like to hear SDE readers’ thoughts on I Love You But I’m Lost and the track listing in general? What changes would you make, if any? Leave a comment.

Rule The World: The Greatest Hits will be released on 10 November 2017.

Tears For Fears

Rule The World - CD edition

Tears For Fears

Rule The World: The Greatest Hits [VINYL]

1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World – from Songs From The Big Chair (1985)
2. Shout (Edit) – from Songs From The Big Chair (1985)
3. I Love You But I’m Lost (New Track)
4. Mad World – From The Hurting (1983)
5. Sowing The Seeds Of Love – from The Seeds Of Love (1989)
6. Advice For The Young At Heart – from The Seeds Of Love (1989)
7. Head Over Heels – from Songs From The Big Chair (1985)
8. Woman In Chains – from The Seeds Of Love (1989)
9. Change – From The Hurting (1983)
10. Stay (New Track)
11. Pale Shelter – From The Hurting (1983)
12. Mothers Talk (US Version) – Re-recorded US single (1986)
13. Break It Down Again – from Elemental (1993)
14. I Believe – from Songs From The Big Chair (1985)
15. Raoul And The Kings Of Spain – from Raoul And The Kings Of Spain (1996)
16. Closest Thing To Heaven – from Everybody Loves A Happy Ending (2004/5)

2LP Vinyl

3. Pale shelter
4. Mothers talk
5. Break it down again
6. I believe
7. Raoul and the kings of spain
8. Closest thing to heaven

112 responses to Tears For Fears / Rule The World – The Greatest Hits / new compilation

1. Fady says:

The difficulty with greatest hits compilations is they kind of restrict your selection to actual hits. Personally, I would prefer it was a “best of” and that allows the artists/record company a little more leeway in what they include on the compilation. If they stick with the greatest hits concept then an additional disc of rarities would be welcome. I didn’t see the need for a disc of remixes given they were included in the deluxe reissues of The Hurting and SFTBC.

I’m not sure if it’s an error Paul but the vinyl track listing doesn’t include Mad World.

I got that track listing from Amazon France. “Never in a million years” which was in place of Mad World might be another new song then! But I’ve corrected because vinyl and CD are the same.

2. pinkfloyd says:

hey hey hey Curt & Roland!!!
    We W A N T “The Seeds Of Love” SDE as curated by a Paul Sinclair of SDE who did the same for your first two albums some time ago. As Mr Sinclair has performed such an excellent work with them, can Curt & Roland just sign off for the above Mr Sinclair to do the next three subsequent TFF albums on SDE as well.”
    We love u, TFF

Just to correct, I co-curated the Tears For Fears sets with Steve Hammonds.

• Larry Davis says:

Hey Paul…I know I asked before, and rather nicely I might add, but got no response…and this is the proper subject…being u lovingly curated all the TFF boxsets, you included the vidclips of SFTBC singles on one of the DVDs, great, but on The Hurting box, why were those vidclips (Pale Shelter, Mad World & Change) not included on the concert DVD?? Woulda been a perfect fit…now to get them, you need to separately buy a DVD video collection…no biggie but just curious the omission… Thanks Paul for a killer site and reissue curatory work sir…

The reason is that there was talk of a multi-disc career spanning box that would have included a DVD with the videos. When that idea was canned then we thought we better put the videos on “Songs” but of course it’s unfortunate about The Hurting.

• Larry Davis says:

Ahhh OK…gotcha…so will a DVD with career-spanning videos still happen, or better get the old DVD with videos?? Thanks finally with the answer…now I can sleep at night haha

Nope, there are no plans for a DVD/box that spans their career as far as I’m aware.

3. Pierre says:

I was expecting a new album but I like the single. UK tour in 2018, ok. What about the rest of Europe? Any idea?

4. Manuel says:

Paul do you really think they are going to include the new tracks on the next album? If I remember correctly Simple Minds did this recently. But it seems an odd commercial choice to me. Taking money from the fans for a few tracks on a compilation and then selling them again on a whole new album is unfair. This is just my opinion of course. So I hope these tracks will not surface on their next release. But given this strange and unexpected greatest hits strategy, will we ever get a new album? I hope the project did not fall apart. This is my concern.

The whole concept of a greatest hits is selling tracks that are on other albums, so if they do end up on the next record, that’s consistent!

• Stuart says:

When Simple Minds did this they re-recorded the new tracks (from the Celebrate collection) with the full band during the sessions for Big Music and put these newer versions on that album. As such the fans got the best of both worlds.

• Larry Davis says:

I prefer that exclusive singles on a hits collection get placed on the following studio album, that way the songs don’t get lost in the future…like say, a boxset anthology comes out down the line and these 2 songs get overlooked…the only way to get them is to buy an incomplete compilation with much repetition or separate CD singles or downloads… Better that they be upcoming album tracks and you don’t have to concern yourself… Like the song “Tears Roll Down” is not included with this set…being its not an album track, nor is the Seeds Of Love boxset out yet, in order to get that song, you need another collection or separate CD single…unless that doesn’t bother you, why have more than one collection just for 1 song?? That’s just me, but I don’t like multiple collections, just 1 final one that has everything… Besides simple minds, Midnight Oil did that with the 2 then-new songs from their 1997 collection “20,000 Watt R.S.L.”… They were both included on their ace 1998 album “Redneck Wonderland”… Great because neither were on their better 2CD collection “Essential Oils”, and I would not want the other collection just for those 2 songs…better they are album tracks so I don’t need to worry about it…sorry for the long-winded response, needed to explain my point properly thanks…

5. Whilst it is great to hear new material, I can’t really understand why they’re releasing yet another compilation album when they reportedly have a new album in the can, as well as the long-overdue ‘Seeds of Love’ re-issue on the shelf, raring to go.

My only conclusion is that a greatest hits album, followed by a couple of showcase gigs in the UK , is intended to refresh memories ahead of a ‘new album campaign’. Given the size of the crowd at their Newmarket gig last year, and the rapidity of ticket sales for the Albert Hall gig, that refresh is really not needed.

BUT…. we have some new TFF songs, which is always a good thing. For me, I’ll just be buying these two songs and nothing else. I already have them multiple times over.

Welcome back, Curt & Roland.

6. Nik Yeomans says:

This compilation is not really aimed at the fans is it. Having worked on several compilations for The Stranglers I would have to admit to being a completist wherever possible. With the fairly recent advent of the super deluxe edition there is now the opportunity to offer differing levels of product. If a band’s catalogue is deep enough there can be up to three versions: a basic hits package for those who just want to dip their toes (as above), an expanded version including all singles and / or b-sides depending on the number of releases and finally, a grander set with mixes and rarities. Unfortunately we have rather overcooked The Stranglers and there is not an awful lot left in the cupboard. Personally I would have liked a Stranglers Epic CD singles box set to match the two UA ones, but nothing forthcoming yet… Sorry to digress.

• Nigel D Day says:

I would like new vinyl masters and pressings of the UA Stranglers albums please :)

In a box.

Can’t say I’m tempted with the TFF compilation. The singles o.k but It sounds a bit 80s Bee Gees to me.

• Nik Yeomans says:

The band have been releasing their UA albums on and off for the last couple of years on tour (Rattus, Heroes, B&W and The Raven so far). For this reason I don’t think that it would be viable to do a box, which is a shame as a (smaller) Queen style coloured vinyl box would suit me just fine. UA CD’s coming next year with lots of bonus tracks (not deluxe editions).

• Shawn says:

Hi Nik. I’m not familiar with Rattus, Heroes, B&W, and The Raven. What are they?

• Nik Yeomans says:

If you follow the thread you will see I have been wandering off the path somewhat. However this would be a good opportunity for you to investigate what some of us old duffers were listening to.

7. Steven Robertson says:

Its not worth buy for me. I will wait for the new album. It should have been a complete retrospective I feel. Missed opportunity

8. Gary says:

Would sooner have a Seeds of Love deluxe. I suspect there is a lot of unreleased material from that era!

9. Ben Williams says:

Great stuff. Would love to see them live next year!

Looking forward to this on vinyl!

10. cdmaniac says:

Love TFF, but I’ll wait for the new album. This is a bit unnecessary.
    Also the cover is a little gaudy for TFF.

• CAROLYN HENNEFORTH says:

Gaudy???? More so than ELAHE?

• Rhinojck says:

I agree about the cover it looks like they hired a first timer to design it. The image they have for the video (three boys jumping) would be a better cover. Also, like everyone else here, I’m waiting for a SDE of “Seeds” too, hopefully a Blu-ray 5.1 audio edition like “Songs/Chair”.

11. Justin says:

Love the new single and can’t wait for new album, but would have preferred “Seeds Of Love” deluxe instead of another best of.

12. Schu says:

TFF SOL SDE is an instant buy.
    TFF new album is an instant buy.
    I like that there are new songs with this set, but this is not an instant (or possibly ever) buy.

13. David Roberts says:

To be fair, they have only released one official greatest hits back 1992. The others have been cheap comps (apart from Gold) which were never promoted or aimed at bothering the charts.

As mentioned, I think this is just to remind people that TFF are still about and get them ready for a new album and tour in the spring next year.

If you’re selecting songs that were (hit) singles in both the UK & USA, you can’t really argue with the tracklisting, it’s all there.

14. Auntie Sabrina says:

They ought to have remastered in chronological order the Mad World -The Collection 2 CD from 2010. Like a lot of these run up to Christmas releases, in January it will be £5 so I’d be saving my money ’till then…

15. Klaus says:

The first thing i did after noticing this post was chuckle. A post on superdeluxeedition.com that prominently says, just below the headline: No Deluxe Edition.
    Paul, am i right by assuming that covering this release has lots to do with your ongoing love for Tears For Fears that of course every regular reader of your blog is well aware of?
    I will give this a pass as long as it’s not below the EUR 5 mark, regarding that i already own about 6 compilations of TFF material plus the DE of “The Hurting” and the SDE of “SFTBC”.
    Would be nice though to get an album of all new material next year.

16. Michael says:

I guess I would’ve liked a 2 disc set that featured as many singles as possible (chart performance withstanding) but as it stands it looks to be cream of the crop. That new track sounds great.

Disapointed that The Way You Are wasn’t included. A personal favourite.

17. R.naud says:

Sorry to sound like a killjoy but does the world need yet another TFF greatest hits compilation?
    It would have been far better to continue the box set series with Seeds of Love and Elemental and then announce the UK tour with a brand new album next year!
    I also have to pinpoint the absolutely UGLY cover design. A 10 year-old could easily have created this on his phone using an app!
    I hope I Love You But I’m Lost and Stay will be released as a 7″ vinyl and CD single. Right now it looks like the single is only available as a download?
    Sound-wise, although I Love You But I’m Lost is not a bad song, it’s yet again another anthemic song and the very intricate arrangement doesn’t make it sound very current. It would be great if they stopped with that style, it makes me despair that the new album might just be Seeds of Love part 3, the way ELAHE was Seeds of Love part 2 – pseudo-late 60s Beatles era. I wish they moved away from that but it looks like they are stuck in a formula now. Alas, no more innovative songwriting…

18. Paulie says:

I’m really liking this new single… if I had heard it on the radio, without an introduction, I would never have guessed it was TFF though! I’ll download the single for sure but no need for another best of for me.

19. Jon says:

I absolutely love the new song, in fact it’s their best single since God’s Mistake (and yes I know most fans either love or loathe that song but for me it’s miles better then the title track from that album). It’s a shame that the Seeds of Love reissue is just sitting in some vault.

20. Trash says:

Personally I think it is a pointless release and I usually don’t comment on covers (unless it is to say something positive) but this one is truly awful!!

And I love “The Way You Are” especially the 12″ remix.

21. ken says:

I would have been more excited to buy it if it contained The non LP singles Tears Roll Down and The Way You Are which isn’t as bad as the band seems to think it is.
    The new song hasn’t grabbed my attention yet. I’ll give it a few more listens before I pass judgement.

22. Jan says:

I’m guessing this is for Christmas and a bit of momentum for the ticket sales. Not really for me. If Universal were smart, they would do a 12″ of the new tracks with a remix, or a CD single, a la Mute, with the new tracks and remixes. I’d buy them.

23. Ian Harris says:

I was completely wrong in thinking that downloads and streaming would totally kill off Best Of CDs. It’s so easy to curate your own these days (even from existing discs) but obviously they still have financial worth as they don’t show any signs of slowing down. I guess the majority of these are impulse buys in supermarkets etc plus a small group of completest fans who’d buy it even without the new tracks? After all the options for buying CDs on the high street are severely limited these days. I’m just going to get the new tracks, I really don’t need another version of Mad World or …Rule The World on CD.
    Tears For Fears have so many duff budget price compilations around these days I can’t imagine this is going to be a huge seller. A nicely curated Complete Singles would be far more attractive; I don’t even expect a CD singles box set but a chronological a-sides collection, maybe with a limited b-sides disc would be welcome. I certainly wouldn’t put the a-sides and b-sides together; TFF had some very experimental (or throwaway / filler if you prefer) b-sides which would jar horribly.

24. memoryboy says:

I’ll tell you why I am going to buy this, and I own all their other Greatest Hits and reissues and all that stuff… because I am a perfectionist when it comes to sound and I’m assuming they’re going to remaster these songs and I’m sure that I might be happy with the new remastered tracks… so these tracks, I love that they are including the edit version of ‘Shout’ because the full length version is what ends up on a lot of compilations, so the edit version is exciting for me, also I’m assuming it’s the single version of ‘Head Over Heels’ which is exciting, as much as I love the album version I really like the single version the most, and I’m excited to get the new tracks as well, but a new remaster of these songs I find exciting, so I welcome this and I will be buying it

25. memoryboy says:

Also, I quite like the album cover art. It’s fresh and inspiring in my opinion.

26. Charles Christopher says:

Does the cover remind anyone else of a mash-up of Supertramp album covers?

27. Stephen E Cohen says:

Not really adding more here (to what the others said)… I must have at least 3 Tears For Fears greatest hits compilations already, not to mention the most comprehensive versions available of every single album. I want the new songs, but what in the world would I do with the other same songs that I already have 15 times over?

28. Dan says:

I like the new single, it’s very catchy.

Regarding the box set, the moment I realised Laid So Low wasn’t included I was left disappointed.

29. Martin says:

Sorry but a total non story for me – TFF release a bog standard GH disc. I agree with many of the earlier comments that a SDE/Vinyl of SOL would be a definite draw but this appears to fall into the well worn category of ‘Cash and Cow’

30. Jez Hall says:

For me, the news of a new single was a massive high; unfortunately then crushed by news that the new album would be a greatest hits affair. It was especially odd seeing as Roland has given interviews actually naming the potential title as ‘The Tipping Point’ as recently as this month. I suspect there has been massive internal wrangling and record company problems – remember a few years ago TFF were apparently ‘Ready To Start’ with a record store day release that really should have gone on to be a full sized project.
    I think they have no idea how revered they actually are, and therefore their home country (the UK) gets a raw deal.

31. Darren Briscoe says:

Ok…430am California time…..listen to new TFF song……sounds like Martin Fry of ABC!….

32. Mark Carter says:

Loving the artwork. But……abysmal tracklisting…very disappointed

33. Adrian Grove says:

Yet again they omit “The Way You Are” it was not included on Songs From the Big Chair or the previous compilation

34. Paul Barr says:

Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down) is one of my favourite TFF songs….. a disppointing omission

35. Kenny says:

What, no show for one of their biggest ever hits…top five even…..where’s “Everybody Wants To Run The World”!

36. HalloweenJack says:

I F***ING LOVE the new single! Great production! Top of the game… again!
    Way to go TTF! Bring on the new album and 2018 world tour! :D

37. RJS says:

It is a somewhat gaudy cover as was the Sowing the Seeds of Love cover. I don’t know what has happened to album covers in general over the past couple of years – there have been more than a few shockers.

38. Greg says:

Clearly a Christmas money grab. I’ll probably pick this up for the new songs.

At least in America, there was a second full-price GH set after Tears Rolls Down, released in 2001:

As for track selection, I would’ve selected God’s Mistake from RATKOS, and Call Me Mellow from ELAHE.

39. Andrew Barnett says:

Agree with earlier comments a super deluxe of Seeds Of love would be more welcome!!

40. Keith Brittain says:

In rather like the new song, and the cover is decent, but not sure if I will buy the new compilation. The Gold two disc best of is quite good (and of close I have the two boxes, the SOL reissue. and 2005 album.).

41. Kauwgompie says:

The new single is excellent. It shows you how talented TFF are, they continue to be amazing. It sounds very modern. If you tell me this is the new Imagine Dragons single, I would believe you. They need to do something to promote it though. On YouTube, it has 277 views (now 278)! It has huge hit potential.

As far as the greatest hits compilation, it’s a yawner for me. There are enough TFF greatest hits, I just counted 8 on Amazon!! So for it to have any kind of value add, it would have to include a disc of rarities. I’d buy it immediately. I don’t know if there are any more unreleased rarities left after 2 boxsets but if not, add unplugged versions of the hits, something like that.

I would be careful with adding new songs to meaningless greatest hits. On Secret World Live they added several news songs and they got lost in the shuffle. I thought “Floating Down The River” was exceptionally good and a real TFF song but no one noticed. Tears Roll Down was also a new song on a greatest hits compilation and now another 2 on “Rule The World”. I believe Secret World (Live) had 3 new songs. That is 6 new songs total on various greatest hits compilations (Secret World was a live disc, not really a greatest hits compilation but you get my point). They should issue all of them on a separate album at some point.

42. Steve Marine says:

I LOVE THE NEW SONG!!! Tears For Fears is still my favorite band of all time. I’m not going to complain. I’m just happy to have new material. And I hope the two new songs do appear on the next studio album, even if only as bonus tracks on a deluxe edition. (Unless, of course, their inclusion would require the removal of other new material. LOL!)

43. David says:

On iTunes “Change” is listed as the Radio Edit.

44. Stephen K says:

The double 7″ of I Believe featured a “full version” of the I Believe studio version that has more of a cold ending/extended clean fade instead of the album version that fades into Broken.

I’d like to see that version get released!

45. Phil G. says:

Depressingly, I can see The Seeds Of Love Deluxe Edition boxset now being shelved until late 2019 for some kind of 30th-anniversary tie-in.

I really, REALLY want to hear that Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix….

46. Pete says:

I like the new song in general but it doesn’t scream TFF Tto me (it more screams TT to me – or even Coldplay in parts).

47. toni says:

Oh my god!! only one song ( the title track) of his best album Raoul and the King of spain!!
    Oh think Twice, It´s another compilation in paradise!!

48. Fred says:

I’m a big fan of TFF but i don’t buying this… I want a seeds of love reissue and a new album

49. Tripp says:

Steve Wilson 5.1 TSoL mix + demos. I can’t say that I’m very interested in 2 new tracks. I don’t mean to sound cynical, but I just don’t imagine actually paying for this new comp.

50. Francis says:

ONLY 16 tracks? – Wow, what a lot (NOT)!

51. Francis says:

Considering some of the tracks were NOT hits, it is not exactly their GREATEST.

52. Omar says:

A bit weak in my opinion, the whole thing. The new single sounds like it was written in five minutes. This would’ve been a perfect opportunity to make this a comprehensive 2CD singles collection. I’m gonna wait for the new album!

53. Tony says:

I love TFF, but I am beyond frustrated at this point. No deluxe Seeds of Love and no new album, despite both having been acknowledged as being ready for quite some time. Instead, we are asked to be excited about yet another greatest hits package that includes 2 new songs so fans who are starving for new TFF music will feel obliged to buy it. And we are told a new album is “likely” for next year.

As I said, I love TFF, but it is tougher and tougher these days.

George Michael did the same thing for years–teased new material over and over and over. I remember seeing him on the 25Live tour and he literally apologized to the audience and acknowledged how difficult he had made it to be one of his fans.

Having said that, I know others are going to love this set and the 2 new songs, but I am out at this point.

Call me when the new album and/or Seeds of Love deluxe are actually being released.

• Tom Richardson says:

Your point about GM is pretty relevant – so many wasted years where we would have loved new music and tours and now he is gone! Nobody ever knows what will happen to us so all the time without any new activity from our favourite artists becomes all the more sad! Time is precious…

54. Kiki says:

These news are slightly disappointing…
    If you want only 2 new songs, you’ll have to deal with another boring compilation…
    I would have prefered news about the “Seeds Of Love” reissue ! And obviously a full new album! It seems like the TFF are unlikely to do another long player for a long time… :-(

55. Don says:

In July, just a few short months ago, the new Warner Bros. TFF album was named as “The Tipping Point” and Roland said that it would be out THIS year and that “I Love You But I’m Lost” would be on it. I guess plans have changed dramatically.

56. knows better says:

Since these guys hate each other, I wouldn’t expect any more great music from them.

That’s putting it a bit strong… I don’t think they’re best mates, but Roland doesn’t need the money enough to work with someone he ‘hates’…

• Chris Squires says:

A La Clarkson, May and Hammond. You don’t have to be BFFs to make a lot of people very happy (just TFFs – hahaha).

I know the SoL wait is frustrating because we know it is so far down the line BUT a) it will come and b) we already have two of the best SDEs ever released from the boys that most other groups should take note of as the Gold Standard – Macca, Eagles take note.

57. jsd says:

The new song sounds like St. Lucia, a modern band that recreates a lot of the 80’s tropes. Full circle. Anyone know who produced it?

As for “yet another singles comp”, I really have no idea who this is aimed at. As a big TFF fan, I have all the songs already, most remastered recently so they sound fine. The new song isn’t something that I would go back to again and again. I’ll listen to it a few times on streaming and be just fine.

58. -SG- says:

This looks more like the new default best of they will be selling at the supermarket, nice they have something new to add. I think they did a great job with Gold, collecting their singles, granted a rarities set included would be better, as they never had the 10″ covers ep never released on cd that could have been great for a rarities, among other single mixes, such as Year of the Knife. But now, TFF are like The Smiths, and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, where there are more compilations than actual albums.

59. Kauwgompie says:

Paul, since we’re talking 80’s anyway, I emailed with Piet Blank and he said he hoped they would release So80s 11 before the end of this year. Can’t wait. I know it’s off-topic but good news nonetheless.

60. timhaydu says:

i was wondering why they’re doing that concert…lol.

61. negative1 says:

not a fan of the artwork.

not a fan of non-chronological.

not a fan of the new song, and yet, i will probably end up buying it,
    (maybe the other song is good?), and because i collect tears for fears
    releases.

yes, even the ones that i don’t like.

such is the life of a collector.

later

62. Wayne Klein says:

My guess is that this is designed to inspire those who see them in concert to buy it realizing that they are missing one or two songsesides the new ones.

63. Paul English says:

Not a bad track list. Tears Roll Down was decent (aside from the failure to use single edits)
    I always picked up the B-side comp Tears Laid Low which is great.

64. Neil Forker says:

I would have liked to have seen a deluxe edition that included the three tracks from “Ready Boy & Girls?” There is still only the vinyl RSD release of those tracks unless you could the low resolution digital releases on YouTube.

65. Paul says:

The bad: the new song isn’t great. A bit like when Duran Duran do the whole EDM thing. Sounds awkward but there’s an endearing line in there for the chorus.

The good: all this Seeds of Love talk made me revisit the album- Badman’s song truly is an incredible piece of music

66. Michael says:

I want this, but I mean, the band already have so many compilations… it’s like the Human League, it feels like more comps than albums now. But, I want to hear the new songs, so I won’t complain much.

67. Irving Weisenthal says:

Love the new single. Very modern sounding. Can’t wait to hear the rest of their new matieral. I think they are trying hard to stay relevant and not just be a greatest hits band. I have already bought the new single and will get the next but will most likely skip the greatest hits album unless something is amazing on it.

Anxiously awaiting for the new material album which supposedly is coming out early 2018.

68. Timothy Harrison says:

Agree… new song isn’t great. A lazy release with lazy art work.

69. Wolf says:

According to the band’s webstore the 2 LP vinyl will be released on 12 January 2018, that is too late for Christmas…

70. Charlie Waffles says:

The album cover is awful. The track selection is dreadful. This release needs to be put in the back of a warehouse and forgotten. I want the Songs From The Big Chair box set that I cannot find anymore. Now THAT was a proper album release, although stingy on the availability.

71. James says:

A tidier release would have been a 2-CD set with a disc of some recent live material (the Spotify Landmark material for example) that would give a taste for the new tour.

72. JPD says:

I agree we don’t need another compilation but at least there are two new songs. A nice way to ease us into the album campaign and tour.

I am really liking the new single. Very excited about the new album. Hopefully it will be released in Jan or Feb.

Fingers crossed 2018 sees the release of SOL box set. The Hurting & SFTBC box sets are incredible and SOL will no doubt be as good

73. That cover is really dated, looks like an late 80s/very early 90s New Age book about saving the planet.

Hope the mastering’s good, picked up a second hand copy of Mad World: The Collection (didn’t realise it was a brickwalled budget comp) – turned out to only have disc two – Break It Down Again sounded horrible/wrong compared to the original cd of Elemental.

74. Olov says:

As a life long die hard TFF fan I find this collection rather underwhelming. This is more like a marketing trick to catch the mass audience’s attention, before releasing a new album with new songs. Kind of what U2 are doing with The Joshua Tree. Go back to be able to move forward, make a splash with well known songs and build interest. But… I don’t think the new song is up to their standard. I hate it when people compare it to Take That – because they are spot on. The song is too compressed and generic, in my opinion. At the same time: I’m happy that they are still around and are releasing new material. It has been too long. Will buy the vinyl and have my hopes that the mastering/sound will be flawless.

75. Heinerich says:

Enough with the bloody compilations already… Release the ‘Seeds of Love’ box set… Or even the new album, preferable before the f***ing sun become a red giant and consumes the earth.
    This reeks of cash grab.

76. mick lynch says:

Everybody Wants To RUN The World would have been a lovely addition Paul.

77. Bill says:

New somg sounds great!

78. HalloweenJack says:

As a huge TFF fan, I can’t help but agree with some of the posts here.

This compilation seems like an almost last minute rushed job to capitalize on the success of the recent tour with Hall & Oates, just in time for Christmas and to keep rotation going to generate interest in the new upcoming release (“The Tipping Point”?). I expect “Stay” to be a decent but underwhelming song in the same regard as “Pullin’ A Cloud” but I could very well be wrong.

If anything, they should have released an expanded deluxe 25th anniversary 5-disc edition of “Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits)” with the bonus CD of remixes – expanded, another bonus CD of additional “hits”, an expanded “Saturnine Martial & Lunatic” b-sides and rarities collection, and a DVD of all the promo videos (easter eggs could be Graduate videos and Roland & Curt solo videos!). That would have geared things up for “The Seeds Of Love” box as well as the new album. Perhaps a 30th anniversary edition will arrive in 2022 to keep things consistent with the previous anniversary boxes? :)

Either way, looking forward to the “clubby” new album and tour! … and yes, “The Seeds Of Love” box (2019)!… Paul, any chance of an Oleta Adams interview on this site? :)

79. Chris Squires says:

Having just seen the notes for the upcoming new Madness best of “Full House” across 4 LPs with 42 tracks and looking like a solid effort it makes me realize what a missed opportunity this is for TFF. It backs up the “last minute” hypothesis above from Jack.

• Neil says:

On the subject of that Full House by Madness the double CD is on Amazon for £19.17 which is a total joke compared to £9.99 om hmv.com. Madness seem to release a few compilation albums every few years as bad as level 42 and tears for fears.

80. SimonP says:

Would’ve preferred a half decent tour, like they had in the States…

81. Jose Luiz says:

I’m looking forward to have the “lost tapes” of the mid 80’s on my TFF collection! Please Paul, let us know if there is any news about the “Suicide Jam Tapes”? Any chance to “Suicide Jam Tapes” and the unreleased songs produced by Ian Stanley just after Songs From The Big Chair be released in one exclusive disc on the The Seeds Of Love SDE?

82. cal says:

Absolutly love the fact that its a one disc no deluxe, straight forward release ! – just like it used to be. I sometimes get disallusioned with all these sooooooper deluxe sets that you would never sit down and listen to from beginning to end. Like what listening to an album should be !

83. Ian says:

Don’t know if this is the right place to mention this (and hope it’s OK, Paul) but as a result of the ticketing fiasco for the TFF Albert Hall gig next week I’ve ended up with an extra standing ticket in the Gallery as I subsequently managed to get a seat. Problem is that they’re marked as strictly not to be resold, in order to keep them out of the hands of the touts and in the hands of the fans, which is a little ironic as this one could end up not in the hands of anyone. I understand they’ll be checking IDs on the door too.

So if anyone is looking for a ticket (and is prepared to stand up all night!) for the price I paid for it (just under £50) let me know. Or if anyone has any suggestions … I’ll check back on the forum later.

Cheers,
    Ian

84. Mike Williams says:

I think that there should be a 2-disc version with the 2nd disc being a Blu-Ray/DVD of all of the videos.