Ten Years After 1967-1974 / 10CD box

Limited to 1500 copies • 9 albums + unheard studio tracks from ’72

1967-1974 is a new 10CD box set that celebrates 50 years since the eponymous debut album of British blues/rock band Ten Years After.

This collection gathers long-players from the Chrysalis and Deram eras and includes eight studio albums, one live album and a bonus disc of never before heard recordings from 1972 called The Cap Ferrat Sessions, which is newly mixed by producer Chris Kimsey. All the albums have been remastered from the original quarter-inch production master tapes.

The package comes in hardcover book format (with slipcase) with extensive sleeve notes by Chris Welch. These notes include extensive interviews with the remaining band members, Alvin Lee’s family, and there is additional recording notes by Kimsey.

The unreleased material – The Cap Ferrat Sessions – exists thanks to Alvin Lee’s wife, who discovered a box of recordings in their house in Spain. Chris Kimsey recorded and engineered these tracks originally (they formed part of the Rock N Roll Music To The World sessions) which is why Chrysalis Records turned to him to mix them for the first time. Cap Ferrat is in the South of France, situated between Nice and Monaco.

Kimsey has set the record straight in terms of the quality of these newly-found tracks: “Alvin and the band were incredibly creative and abundant during this period. These re-discovered recordings were not rough demos, not rehearsals, but completed masters that did not make the album due to the time limitations of vinyl at the time. So these gems were left off. Mixing this in 2017 I began to study the parts, the playing, the response of each musician. It was amazing! It is what all great recordings are made of.”

Ten Years After 1976-1974 is limited to 1,500 copies worldwide and will be released on 22 December 2017.

Ten Years After

Ten Years After 1967-1974

CD1: Ten Years After [Mono, 1967]
1. I Want To Know
2. I Can’t Keep From Crying, Sometimes
3. Adventures Of A Young Organ
4. Spoonful
5. Losing The Dogs
6. Feel It For Me
7. Love Until I Die
8. Don’t Want You, Woman
9. Help Me

CD2: Undead [Stereo, 1968] (Live album)
1. I May Be Wrong, But I Won’t Be Wrong Always

2. Running Around
3. Holy Shit
4. There’s A Feeling
5. I Hear You Calling My Name

16 responses to Ten Years After 1967-1974 / 10CD box

1. Nick81 says:

Looks interesting. The only TYA song I know is ‘Going Home’ from the Woodstock movie.
    Given the remastering, and getting the original engineer involved, is there money to be made from only 1500 copies?

• Stuart Fraser says:

At that price, I’m sure there is money to be made. At half that price, I’d probably go for it.

• Simonf says:

Be Warned Nick, TYA studio albums are a very mixed bunch and generally disappointing, ultimately failing to capture the spirit of the band onstage which is really where they belonged. Rather like Rory Gallagher, another artist who was blistering in the live area but always patchy in the studio. Any TYA live album is worth grabbing hold of, and it’s a shame that the double live set “Ten Years After Recorded Live” is not included here. Their Woodstock set, as far as I am aware has never been released which is a real shame because it was said to be one of the real highlights of the Woodstock Festival. I recommend you check out Live At The Filmore East 1970, a double CD which is the closest thing to their Woodstock set currently available except I suspect that this album is probably now deleted.
      A few years ago I purchased the three disc set “Think About The Times: The Chrysalis Years 1969-1972 which runs from “Ssssh” to “Rock And Roll Music To The World” all very patchy. There is some good stuff but it is mixed with so much dreary filler that I soon became very disillusioned with the whole set. So go with the live albums, but tread carefully in the studio.
      That’s it, I’m Going Home… by helicopter.

• Nick81 says:

@Simonf
        Thank you for that, very enlightening. I agree on Rory Gallagher. Anther lightening live band but average in the studio (to me anyway) were Humble Pie. Their ‘Performance: Rockin’ The Fillmore – The Complete Recordings’ is spectacular, and one of my go to live albums. After I bought that I bought their studio albums, which I thought were average and they’ve only been listened to once. Ah well!

• Dedlock says:

Nick: You should know that not everybody agrees with what Simon has to say. I think it is fair to say that the studio output is a little uneven and eccentric, but the albums are stuffed with absolute gems that deserve to be heard. I’m in on this one.

2. Wolfgang Mintrop says:

Bonus stuff ( = CD10) is really too poor … and against this Background price is too high.

3. Boaz Halachmi says:

It’s been on PledgeMusic for a while now, where you can get one of 150 copies that comes with a signed poster.

4. Rare Glam says:

Do you know what size is the book is Paul? CD digibook size, 10″ or 12″ square? It’s annoying when they don’t show a CD against it for comparison even in a mock up.

5. Tiago Camargo says:

I am sure there will be a cheaper version of this box set in the next few months…..why would they print only 1500 copies ?

6. Paul Wren says:

Lets hope that the Cap Ferrat material makes it onto separate CD and vinyl in due course because long term fans like myself already have the original albums from way back in time and the Cap Ferrat stuff is the only new/unheard recordings in this reissue programme. Surely there must also be other spare material from down the years lurking somewhere?

7. I’ll probably get this if it slips a bit in price. 1500 units doesn’t sound like a crazy number in today’s market, it’s not like Ten Years After is as popular as the Beatles.

8. Nick says:

Bit pricey

9. Colin Harper says:

Seems very strange to use vanilla versions of the albums when some were reissued separately on CD with period bonus tracks. Indeed, the ‘Undead’ 2CD edition added several extra tracks recorded at the gig from which the (single) album came – including a 17 minute ‘Can’t Keep From Crying’, the highlight of the whole set in my view – all of which added immensely to the set.

It sounds like the book has been very lovingly put together but the audio content concept is daft – £85 for a book and 5 live tracks, as surely most purchasers will have most of or everything else within already, at least once. Book + Cap Ferrat tracks + something else (even 2-3 discs of band-selected picks from the 9 original albums) would have been more realistic.

My advice: pick up the 2CD reissues of the first two albums from amazon marketplace sellers for a fiver (as I did last month). Hours of pleasure – and £75 left over…

10. Ten Beers After says:

It may be £85 but keep an eye on the price, 1,500? If there are 1,000 orders for this in the next month there is only one way the price will go and it ain`t down.

I agree with the comments re: the studio albums, however there is lots of good stuff to be found. Depends if you are a fan.

Did you know that T.Y.A. are still touring. There are still two original members, Alvin Lee cannot be replaced but the guy who sings and plays the geetar is truly talented. Catch them if you can, you will not be disappointed.

11. michal says:

@Simonf
    nonsense! “WATT” for instance is one of the best psychedelic/progressive/dirty/addictive rock record of the early 70s!

12. Adam says:

The only albums I really enjoyed of theirs were the debut, ‘Cricklewood Green’ and ‘A Space In Time’. These three are excellent albums to my ears, and I was pleased to pick up a vinyl reissue of ‘A Space In Time’ cheap a couple of years ago that came with a dvd-a of the quad mix which is well worth hearing.