The Band / Music From Big Pink: 50th anniversary edition super deluxe box

New stereo mix • Blu-ray audio with 5.1 surround mix • 2LP vinyl • box set

The Band‘s debut album Music From Big Pink will be reissued as a 50th anniversary super deluxe edition box set in August, that includes a new stereo mix and a 5.1 surround mix of the 1968 album.

The box set is a five-disc set which comprises CD, blu-ray audio, 2LP vinyl and seven-inch and comes with a hardcover book. The double vinyl LP and CD elements are available separately, but not the blu-ray with the 5.1 mix.

The songs on this superb album include The Weight, This Wheel’s On Fire, Tears of Rage and To Kingdom Come and the cover art was painted by Bob Dylan (the ‘Big Pink’ being the upstate New York house where The Band wrote the songs.

Bob Clearmountain has created the new stereo mix (which features on the CD and double vinyl) from the original four-track analog masters. The CD features six outtakes/alternates (including an unreleased A Cappella version of I Shall Be Released) and the seven-inch included is a recreation the original 1968 single for The Weight and I Shall Be Released.

Music from Big Pink will be reissued on 31 August 2018.

The Band

7. Long Black Veil
  8. Chest Fever
  9. Lonesome Suzie
  10. This Wheel’s On Fire
  11. I Shall Be Released

Bonus Tracks:

1. Yazoo Street Scandal (Outtake)
  2. Tears Of Rage (Alternate Take)
  3. Long Distance Operator (Outtake)
  4. Lonesome Suzie (Alternate Take)
  5. Key To The Highway (Outtake)
  6. I Shall Be Released (A Cappella)

BLU-RAY

Tracklist above in new 5.1 surround mix + 96kHz/24bit high resolution stereo (exclusive to the box set)

2LP

1. Lonesome Suzie
  2. This Wheel’s On Fire
  3. The Weight

7″ Single

The Weight b/w I Shall Be Released

Book

68 responses to The Band / Music From Big Pink: 50th anniversary edition super deluxe box

1. Fenwick says:

Back up now. Price lowered to $67 USD

2. Emilio Lafarga Giribets says:

I think its release has been delayed. Now not even on jpc.de

3. Nazareth says:

This is supposed to come out in four days? Still no sign of it on Amazon.

4. Tom says:

Just raising this one again. Has anyone spotted the super deluxe on Amazon at all?

5. movement says:

$98.99 from PopMarket today. https://www.popmarket.com/music-from-big-pink-50th-anniversary/602567480525

Still more than I want to spend but at least it is within the realm of possibility.

6. Mathew Lauren says:

I had hoped to post this additional, surround-sound news, before this announcement was relegated to the SDE archives. This boxset includes a new hires stereo and 5.1 on Blu-ray remixed by Bob Clearmoutain.

2, separate, retail sources for pre-order (in AMERICA) with this additional information.

Hold on to that DVD-A – for now.

This looks to be very exciting news, as Clearmoutain has done some wonderful surround-remixes.

7. michael1984 says:

Remember DVD Audio? You could have bought the LP remixed in 5.1 in that format, but this time it includes the bonus tracks, none of which were essential. Plus the unwanted vinyl which just pushes that price right up. No thanks. I have the re-issues from circa 2000 of their first 2 albums on CD. Never again shall I buy another product from The Band. Those 2 are the only albums of their worth a repeated listen.

8. elliott buckingham says:

I was thinking when this post was posted what a wasted opportunity that there is no PINK vinyl then lo and behold it is available on udiscover music store

9. madman says:

Not only does this have the same outtakes as the single disc expanded version, there’s less of them! Six here, nine on the original expanded version. I think I’ll pass on this one.

• DOUG COLLETTE says:

You clarified my question and confirmed my opinion….Thanks!…..now, how much $, if any, does Robbie glean from this?

10. Michael says:

I’ve noted that the double vinyl LP edition has two to three tracks per side. Does this mean the records are 45 RPM audiophile? Is this deluxe double album being released on 180 gram vinyl? Wish these little details were provided by Capitol. The standard black AND the pink vinyl versions advertised on-line look very tempting, but it would have been even nicer to have had the standard MFBP album in its entirety on disc 1, and the alternate takes on disc 2.

11. Paul Wren says:

With the exception of the additional 7″ single, the vinyl version is identical to the original release and countless reissues since then so there is no point to it in many ways. Stand by for it to be heavily discounted in the coming months.

12. ZoetMB says:

I would have gone for it even without additional outtakes had they included the original remastered mix as well. At this price, they could have easily included that even if it was just on a CD.

13. Mick says:

So, am I correct in that the original mix is nowhere to be found here?
    I’d have bought the BluRay if it had a standalone release. Otherwise – pass (however the pink vinyl IS tempting).
    Now…if they do a SDE like this of the brown (second) album, I MIGHT be persuaded…

14. Mylene says:

The best outtake is the demo for Caledonia Mission and that’s not even there. It’ll be difficult, even this early in the year, to imagine a worse Super Deluxe Edition released in 2018

15. Steven says:

No stand-alone Blu-ray? Surely they’re losing out as well from that business decision? :(

16. David Olstein says:

To add insult to injury, the bonus relica 45 apparently features the remixes rather than the original single mixes. They may as well have given us a coaster and marbles instead.

• Mike the Fish says:

The thing is, the marbles actually made sense in terms of grand concept even if not in terms of desirability.

17. art m says:

it’s getting to the point where i don’t have room for all these box sets. i just got the Buffalo Springfield & Yes vinyl boxes today.

18. brian says:

Why are there rarely any artists from mid 80’s on wards who have 5.1 material released?

19. Alfredo Roccia says:

I think the main issue – at least for people who don’t care about the super deluxe edition – is that what you get at the end, perhaps after years of waiting for an updated remastered version, is an historical false. Why don’t you put the original mono version (at least) like Sgt. Pepper 50 did or Pet Sounds 40 (with the mono and the new stereo in just 2 discs)?

20. Wayne klein says:

Give me vinyl or give me CDs but don’t give me both especially for this price.

21. Jake says:

If the Blu-ray came solo, I’d go for it.

Just not a big enough fan to spring for the full box to get one disc I want, plus a bunch of stuff I’ll never touch again after it’s opened.

22. Kevin says:

While I’d like to hear the new mix, this is absolutely a whiff with regard to outtakes. This had the potential to easily be a multi-disc Bootleg Series-type reissue. To not even include all the outtakes from the 200o issue is a bit of a head scratcher.

23. movement says:

Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick with my SACD. Cut the price in half (like with Forever Changes) and we’ll talk.

24. Karl probst says:

Wow sorry to say but what ripoff seriously ouch!!!

25. Alexander says:

Another overpriced reissue from Universal. Compared to Love – Forever Changes this one is twice more expensive and has less music. No original mix, new outtakes, demos on top of that. Just one A capella track! Nice!

26. Richard says:

Wow, way to go flagging an album for umpteenth time with basically no new material and on 3 different formats, how many people do they think will buy this just for a 5:1 mix, it’s not like it’s unavaible in the other formats already. Uninspired doesn’t do this justice!

27. Brian says:

So the LP version has The Weight on it twice and no I Shall Be Released? ;)
    Oh I know why they were all miss-pressed and Capitol/UME will be sending out free copies of LP 2 to all buyers in about 6 months lol!

28. fenwick says:

What the hel*******!

This was and is my most eagerly anticipated re-release outside of anything Prince related.

I’ve chatted with Sebastian, (Robbie’s son who oversees his twitter account) a number of times about the possibility of this coming out. He even asked a bunch of us what we’d like to see on it! And a bunch of us responded.

And THIS is what we get???? No new content at all? With all the outtakes and alternate takes available? I am so crestfallen. Sure the 5.1 is cool. But if this isn’t the perfect opportunity to unleash the vaults, when the heck will it be?

So annoyed and frustrated……

29. Keith says:

Rather stick with my DVDA than shell out for a box with vinyl yet again just for the surround mix.
    Why do record companies persist in these mixed format boxes.
    No wonder there is no demand for 5.1

30. Bogdan says:

Rather expensive, but oooh, how much I want this!…..

£80 isn’t cheap, but I’d say it’s the top end of ‘old’ SDE pricing before things started to be priced at over £100 (e.g. Roxy, Flowers in Dirt etc.)

31. Brian Burhans says:

Nice package, covers all the bases, but I don’t need all this. If the blu-ray is released seperately, I’ll pick it up. Otherwise, my ‘obsolete’ DVD-Audio copy is all I need to listen to the core album (for the 9 bonus tracks, my Japanese cd comes into play).

32. Luke says:

Several songs were recorded at Capitol on 8-track; you can even seen one 8-track tape box in the video. Odd that the video only mentions 4-track.

33. Dennis Yardley says:

Several of the bonus tracks were on the 2000 remaster where there were 9 bonus tracks (only 6 here) – not particularly impressed with this!

• Alastair says:

This is an album I’ve always meant to get, and I would have popped for the SDE, but it’s too much with too few bonuses, and vinyl which I don’t want. Instead picked up a second hand copy of the 2000 remaster from Music Magpie for GBP1.99. Thanks Paul for raising the subject of the album, and thanks Dennis for the steer to the 2000 CD. Looking forward to hearing it. #cannyscotsman (or just tight??!)

34. Ronnie says:

No new tracks, only a new remix and you get everything in 3 formats. Why?

35. JOHN H McCARTHY says:

I take it the double-vinyl is audiophile at 45rpms……?

36. David Olstein says:

Seems like a wasted opportunity. There must be a full disc’s worth of basement tapes demos sitting in the vaults. I know that the Dylan basement tapes were finally released in a fairly comprehensive set, but I thought The Band recorded plenty of demos on their own. Didn’t they get signed to Capitol on the strength of their demos? Hopefully there will be a 50th anniversary set for the second S/T album that includes a complete concert from their first tour.

37. Tom McKenna says:

Shouldn’t it say remixed from the original four track multitrack tapes?

Not quite sure what you are referring to but I thought “Bob Clearmountain has created the new stereo mix from the original four-track analog masters” is quite clear.

• Tom McKenna says:

You don’t remix master tapes, you would remaster them, You would remix from the original multitrack tapes. Unless I am mistaken…

“four-track analog masters” are multi-track tapes. You remaster from stereo masters. You remix from multi-track masters, like the four-track ones mentioned in the piece.

• Paul Wren says:

Confusing. I’ve always understood re-mastering to be the process of getting the best possible vinyl cut/pressing from tapes that had already been mixed at that point to the band’s/producers satisfaction. So this sounds like a remix of the original tapes that could therefore create a different sounding album from what was originally released, ie more prominent drums, less on the vocals etc?

That’s exactly what it is, and what Steven Wilson has been doing for Yes, XTC and Jethro Tull these past few years.

38. AdamW says:

Almost forgot: The Band’s own The Last Waltz was a very nice package, too. 4CDs, Blu-ray with the entire movie + extras, great book, for $60. So clearly, it’s the addition of the vinyl that’s pushing this up to a ridiculous price.

Let’s hope the Blu-ray gets a separate release eventually.

39. Gary Shaw says:

Oh dear. Another boxset with a BluRay I want, and vinyl I don’t, but the BluRay is not available separately.
    I’ll give it a miss thanks. I’m not paying £80 for a CD, a BluRay and some frisbees.

40. Philip Cohen says:

The selections recorded in New York are indeed 4-track, but the tracks recorded at Capitol in Hollywood are 8-track recordings.

41. Michael G says:

Vinyl again?
    No stand alone 5.1
    Very disappointing not everyone wants vinyl!

42. Phil Salter says:

There’s a pink vinyl too

43. AdamW says:

My gold standard for 50-year-old-albums-with-surround-mix-Blu-ray box sets is still Pet Sounds. 4CDs, a Blu-ray that has surround, stereo, and mono, and a very nice book, for under $70.

Sgt Peppers – similar content, better book, included video on the Blu-ray, around $110.

Great album, but there is no way I am paying $125 for this. Cut the price in half and maybe.

44. Lee Realgone says:

A wasted opportunity. Mixing the formats again has pushed up the price. A few of the relevant bonus tracks from the expanded CD release from 2000 are absent and they’ve wedged an a cappella track on the end which may or may not be genuine.

This was one time the blu ray should have been given a stand alone release. If they make a similar bodge up of a reissue of the follow up, I shall take to the streets in protest.

45. StevieB says:

1968 rather than 1988 surely?