The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper 2017 stereo remix to be issued as vinyl picture disc

Giles Martin’s 2017 stereo remix of The Beatles‘ 1967 album Sgt. Peppers’ Lonely Hearts Club Band will be issued as a vinyl picture disc in December.

The landmark album was of course reissued earlier this year and one of the priorities was to ‘sort out’ the stereo mix. This is because original mono mix of Sgt. Pepper has long been considered the superior – and most authentic – version of the album. The Fab Four were there for most of the mono mixing, influencing decisions and giving the nod of approval. Time and effort was spent getting these right back in the day, while the stereo mixes tended to be done quickly, without the band and, to put it mildly, often lacked subtlety, with vocals panned to one channel and instrumentation to the other.

With that in mind, Giles Martin’s goals were clear, when it came to creating a new stereo mix for this landmark album. Describing the approach in April this year, from Abbey Road Studios, the fifth Beatle‘s son said “Our intention was to make a stereo of the mono. I worked with my dad since I was 15, so I know what he would have thought and I know the band well, so you just kind of respect what they think.”

The new stereo mix has been widely praised and this version will appear on the new picture disc. A single black vinyl LP will also be available.

This new picture disc will be released on 15 December 2017. As mentioned elsewhere on SDE a coloured vinyl box set of The Beatles’ Christmas Records is also being released at on the same day.

The Beatles

Sgt. Pepper vinyl picture disc 2017 stereo remix

The Beatles

The Beatles Christmas Records Box [7" VINYL]

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band / New Stereo Remix – vinyl LP
1. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She’s Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
8. Within You Without You
9. When I’m Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day In The Life

33 responses to The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper 2017 stereo remix to be issued as vinyl picture disc

1. Don says:

Order It..
    I wonder I it will come in a cover or just a plastic sleeve????

2. Andrew M says:

Is it likely that the BD from the box set will ever see an individual release?

3. spankymcspankspank says:

geoff emerick (and that’s geoff emerick – not geoff emerick’s son), would disagree with all that pr above. the mono is obviously superior, but the original stereo is superior to this remix by some margin – going down the “authentic line” then the original stereo is still more authentic than the remix – it would have been signed off by the band etc… and they’d had the same approach for all the other stereo mixes, so must have been perfectly fine with the results.

also, that stereo mix, intereringly enough, was worked on by people who actually worked with the beatles – not their sons – and they were working at the vanguard, not trying to catch up with the “modern sound.” the remix is a novelty, like “love” and the 1 remixes – it’s fine, but it’s never going to equal the original releases mono, or stereo.

and another “also”, wasn’t george martin going deaf by the time giles was 15?

4. Bono says:

I’m going to get it to frame…like my Ogdens nut flake in a round mount..nice

• The Ghost Of Frank Zappa. says:

I disagree, you disagree, I disagree that you disagree, you disagree that I disagree and on and on and on we go.

It`s all a matter of taste, simple.

5. Chris Squires says:

The picture disc was how I first came to listen to this album, must have been 1982 I think. Like many a 15 year, I suddenly felt very grown up after this.

It will look beautiful next to the Out of the Blue PD (which is a lot cheaper BTW at £18 for a double).

• RikTheHib says:

I too have that ‘original’ pic disk. Had it hanging on the wall for ages as a clock. As I did with my copy of the Abbey Road pic disk.

These albums look good as pic disks and I’m not opening the box of worms to talk about their sound quality – too boring.

• SimonP says:

Think I have it somewhere, too. This one is nicer as the 70s one has the same picture on both sides, I think.

• Will says:

My first copy of Pepper was the picture disc too from around the same time – based solely on the fact that it was £2.99 as opposed to £3.99 for the standard version at Andy’s Records :-)…

6. Craig H says:

A 180 gram black vinyl, single LP of the new stereo remix is also being released on the same date.

7. Paul Wren says:

Picture discs are acknowledges as having poor sound quality due to the way they are manufactured, ie picture image sandwiched between two pieces of vinyl. Standard black vinyl is the best audiophile option. You pays your money and you takes your choice………………………

8. Greg says:

Agree with spanky. Trying to give the Beatles a ‘modern sound’ needs to be questioned, particularly as it’s the more ‘mature’ fans who buy the remasters, remixes and boxed sets.

Maintaining the tapes and improving the transfers makes sense but so does remembering that the Beatles will always be of their time. No amount of digital re-imaging or re-imagining can change that but what it can do is leave a digital sheen over music that didn’t need it.

9. Mathew Lauren says:

Novelty item for all the obvious reasons – and then some. (What a…) Waste. (What a…) Shame. More DISCRETE surround-sound, please?!

10. Andrew Roberts says:

Hi fellow SDE fans, on and off The Beatles topic, i have been wondering with the huge variety the Beatles on Vinyl, so many options. With a money is no object criteria, what is the best vinyl to buy, Box sets individual releases, MFSL boxes available from the 1980’s, confused to which way to head. i dont have a million dollar setup, but would like to know general feedback..
    cheers
    andrew

• Howie says:

Andrew, if I was just starting I would simply buy the Mono box and pick up the individual stereo releases of Abbey Road and Let it Be. Congratulations on saving a fortune on blue boxes / Japanese / MFSL etc, etc.

If you’re going to do that, you should buy the Japanese mini-LP versions of the stereo editions of Abbey Road and Let It Be, then you have a complete set of amazing vinyl replicas.

• Kevin S says:

I think the Mono Vinyl Boxed Set from 2014 seems to be the preferred option.
      You would need to ‘go stereo’ for the albums from Yellow Submarine onwards.

This site seems to go I to some detail of the pros and cons of which set is best etc.

• Mike the Fish says:

I don’t trust Rigby as a journalist. The fact he didn’t even seem to notice (or mention) the newly introduced blatant EQ fade at the beginning of the 2012 Hard Day’s Night when comparing to the mono speaks volumes.

11. Brendan Mckeown says:

Yeah it’s great but really you need to check out the latest from Blackpistolfire Deadbeat graffiti. Modern day sgt.Peppers

12. dappermam1612overture says:

Another release catering for those weird aesthetophiles – not interested in sound, but postively wet themselves over the minutiae of design & appearance. They’re a weird bunch, those aesthetophiles.

Lovely cheap price to get the kids they’ve remixed it for to get onboard, too.

I’ll take 10!

13. Mark Story says:

I agree with zappas ghost, to each his own. I personally love the new stereo mix, the original stereo, mono and everything in between. And what’s wrong with issuing a picture disc or others wanting a picture disc? I always thought the picture discs were mainly just for displaying anyway, although I did play the ELP ones from the record store day release several years ago. The music itself sounded really good despite the fact that they were abnormally poppy and noisy , which is to be expected.

14. LMTR14 says:

might buy it for hanging on my wall

15. wellhamsrus says:

Agree with Spanky, and don’t have spare wall space for ephemera.

16. The Ragman says:

Shameless fleecing of fans again. Not even 6 months after the release of the Sgt Pepper box set and remix on vinyl… your chance to get the remix on a vinyl picture disc for £30.

17. Brian says:

What’s that noise? Ah that’ll be the sound of a barrel being scaped.

18. Mick says:

I realize there are always going to be differing opinions: mono vs. stereo vs. stereo remix. Picture disc vs. traditional vinyl. Vinyl vs. digital.
    Me – I love picture discs, and I find the original 1967 stereo mix to be superior – so my U.S. Sgt. Pepper picture disc from the 70’s will continue to suit me just fine.

19. Chris Squires says:

Most people have some kind of pictures / art on their walls. I couldn’t buy a decent piece of art or a picture I liked in any shop or gallery for £20. So to have this, Out of the Blue, The Kick Inside et al available as art is a great thing in my book. I haven’t and probably never will play them, I rely on the black stuff for that. I couldn’t find anything in this country that means as much to me as these albums do. They are also beautiful images, so why not stick ‘em on a wall. For twenty odd quid it’s a bargain. Better than flowers or “tigers at play” from B&Q.

20. David Regan says:

How can the Beatles Christmas Singles be currently unavailable… Out of Stock it says on Amazon UK..it not even released yet..will it be avaible on Amazon UK anybody Know?.

21. R.naud says:

will the picture disc come with a download code?