The Doors / super deluxe edition

Four-disc package includes mono mix on CD and rare live audio

The Doors‘ 1967 debut will be reissued as a four-disc, 50th anniversary super deluxe edition in March.

This large-format 3CD+LP package will feature a remastered version of the original stereo mix of the album on CD, the mono mix (remastered) on CD for the first time plus a live performance where the band perform most of the album at The Matrix in San Francisco on 7 March 1967. This is sourced from the ‘recently discovered’ original tapes. The vinyl LP features the remastered mono mix.

This new edition comes as a 12″ x 12″ hardcover book and features sleeve notes by David Fricke, along with rare photos etc.

This 50th anniversary deluxe of The Doors will be issued on 31 March 2017.

[socialpug_share]

8. I Looked At You [Original Mono Mix LP]
9. End Of The Night [Original Mono Mix LP]
10. Take It As It Comes [Original Mono Mix LP]
11. The End [Original Mono Mix LP]

35 responses to The Doors / super deluxe edition

1. Joachim says:

After the obvious questions “who needs another reissue?” after so many reissues on CD AND vinyl and “who needs the mono version? on CD AND vinyl?”, the real question is: Are Peter Abram Tapes are used for the Matrix CD? If not, the whole box is a joke, the Rhino edition is really cheap and a lot of boots are out there. If the original Abrams tapes are used, it’s interesting for the die hards (is the sound really much better?) but at least another sad example of slicing the treasures from the vaults. A few years ago my christmas bonus went into the Doors infinite vinyl box, this is together with die Doors of Perception Rhino box all you need for the studio recordings imho.

2. Bob says:

The live CD from The Matrix doesn’t even contain the complete recorded performance. What’s worse, the songs are not in the order performed – they just took songs from the show and put them in album order. Plus, I already have the fantastic studio album on SACD and DVD-Audio in surround sound, along with the very nice sounding “The Complete Matrix Tapes” bootleg containing the complete recorded concert, so I have no need whatsoever to purchase this set. I’ll wait for The Doors to officially release the complete Matrix shows, with the songs in the order performed.

3. colm47 says:

I have been a Doors fan since I was 14 or 15, a good few years ago now sadly.

I have the Doors Infinite and Analogue vinyl box sets and all the CD box sets.

But, as they are one my favourite bands, I will be buying this.

More fool me you might !

4. Sylent Syd says:

I already have the mono vinyl mix from RSD a few years back, so I’ll likely pass on this.

5. Keith says:

I’m out on this, I think Joakim just nailed everything that’s wrong with this.
    Better release would have been original mono original stereo and outtakes , blu ray with mono stereo 5.1 all in hi Rez with outtakes.
    Separate Vinyl release with mono stereo and outtakes, much like the Fresh Cream release.
    And the Matrix live stuff should have its own box and issued as recorded and not as previously butchered, and from the original tapes unlike the previous release.

6. Jay says:

Yes, unfornately this boxset with this kind of material seems to be waste of …..time for me.
    Im not saying this completely useless, but for any hardcore-follower and lover of The Doors, they could have released more outtakes (2 full versions of The End for example) and the uncut, complete liveshows from Matrix. Now, it’s kinda sad thinking that we have already been sold on getting so many different pressings and editions of the core-albums, so they should just continue with the release of the unreleased material instead of milking this once again with these anniversary-editions.

7. Simon A. says:

A CD box set of the first two albums in Mono with all the original Mono mixes of the singles would have made me very happy. I don’t need the live CD, the Stereo CD or the Mono LP. Oh well…

8. Ern says:

I’ve already got the mono version on vinyl, so I will pass on this.

Happy New Year Paul, keep up the great work.

9. richie says:

Just like a door I`m in, but I already have the mono LP, stereo LP, CD, box set, live boot, I`m back out through that door. What a load of b@ll@cks!

10. David M says:

I am also out – don’t need the vinyl, don’t need the stereo mix CD, would like the mono mix CD but not that bothered and I think the live disc is just WRONG, complete performances only please.

A great shame and I am concerned that the other albums will get the matching treatment when their time comes.

First time poster – long time lurker. Great site Paul.

11. Philip Cohen says:

(sigh)…”Product”: Though the set has a better tape source for the Matrix Club material, there is not one second of previously unreleased material in this box. It’s a poor value. Until now, I bought all Doors CD’s(excepting “Greatest Hits”-type collections), but I’ll pass.

12. Record Collector says:

I love the Doors. Just get the price down to about $40 and it’s a big seller. The mono CD and the Live CD are the interesting items.

13. Charles Hodgson says:

More contempt for the fans following that London Fogg monstrosity. Used to enjoy picking up the Bright Midnight live CD’s in years past. But since then suck suck suck. Still, money saved! Thanks but no thanks Jampol!

• Philip Cohen says:

…and Mr.Jampol also manages the musical estates of Janis Joplin and Marvin Gaye. The truth is that there isn’t much unreleased Doors music remaining. The multitrack concert recordings have all been issued, and only a small batch of outtakes from each studio album sessions were saved.

14. richard den besten says:

Paul ( happy new year ) on the official doors site it says $ 65.00 + $ 54.00 = $ 119,00

so any other seller is a bargin i need this box a good way to start 2017

Richard

15. I’ve got the RSD mono vinyl, the 2LP 45 rpm stereo vinyl, and a CD. Love this album and the mono mix IS worth getting but I’ll probably end up taking a pass on this one.
    BTW, Paul, got my SDE shirt and it’s a winner. Now, you’ll have to issue a “super deluxe edition” in long sleeve, or maybe baseball shirt (I think you guys call it “raglan”) or even (wait for it) A HOODIE!

16. Fatoldbloke says:

I hate it when they include vinyl.
    I just want the CDs. apparently this was available on vinyl already in mono.

17. Gary Shaw says:

When it is says “original stereo mix”, is it referring to the mix with the edits to ‘The End’ and with the album played at slightly the wrong speed, or the amended mix for the ‘Perception’ boxset?

18. Billy Dojcak says:

I have The Best of The Doors on quad lp. All I need.

19. Kenneth Anselmi says:

So now the 50th anniversary release and there’s NO alternate studio versions on it? Wasn’t “The End” spliced together from 2 different takes? Why not release both versions. Didn’t anyone listen over the master tapes for interesting outtakes. How many times are you going to buy the same recordings repackaged? Looks like NO research was done for this project. The Matrix recordings have been around for years and in good quality. Why would you only want selective tracks from them? And not everyone always wants vinyl included. Seems like a money grab. Only the diehard fans will want this release and it gives you NOTHING NEW!! Rip OFF

20. Adey says:

Why is there no option to buy without the vinyl? Seems like they’re throwing it in to bump the price up to more than its worth.
    all i want from it is the mono cd, the rest is crap i don’t need.

21. Pete Anderson says:

Love it when they include vinyl!

22. Jim Edwards says:

Have this in mono on lp. So, what’s the point? Also, why is the cover shrunk down ala Manic Street Preachers, Everything Must Go? Just looks ugly.

23. Geoff says:

Now available on Amazon UK for just under £37:

24. Pingback:Doors super deluxe available in the UK | superdeluxeedition

25. Gisabun says:

Oh why was the LP included? Should of been separate maybe with its own sterewo and mono mixes and live album.

26. HalloweenJack says:

Love this band but thoroughly agree with the comments above. This is a poor example of how to do a 50th Anniversary deluxe edition of one of the greatest recorded debuts put to vinyl.
    Jeff Jampol has made a mess of the recorded legacy of a number of artists… Doors included.
    How I miss the Danny Sugerman days.

27. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 8 April 2017 | superdeluxeedition

28. Alan Wilson says:

Available today on Amazon UK for £29.99 :)