The Doors / The Singles 2CD+Blu-ray

A & B-sides gathered on CD with Quad mixes on bonus blu-ray audio

Rhino will release The Singles, a new compilation that collects all 20 U.S. singles released by The Doors, and their corresponding B-sides. It will be available as a 2CD+blu-ray package, a 2CD set without the blu-ray and a seven-inch box set will also be made available.

The 44-track collection includes the rare, original single versions of such classics as, Love Me Two Times, Love Her Madly, Riders On The Storm and many more. With collectors in mind, the CDs will also feature four original mono radio versions of some of the hits. These have never been made available anywhere after being sent to radio stations at the time of their original release.

All tracks have been mastered from the original analog single masters by the band’s longtime engineer Bruce Botnick.

The Blu-ray disc that accompanies the ‘deluxe’ three-disc version features the original hi-res Quadraphonic mix of 1973 compilation The Best Of The Doors. This 11-song compilation was issued on SACD by Audio Fidelity in 2015, but this is the first time it has been available on Blu-ray audio.

In addition to the above, a 20-disc seven-inch box set of The Singles (‘limited’ to 10,000 copies) is being issued and can be ordered via the band’s official store although this will be available via other channels too (e.g. Amazon in Germany).

Amazon list the release date for these sets as 25 August, although the official store states 15 September 2017.

The Doors

The Singles 2CD+Blu-ray

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 18.99

The Doors

The Singles seven-inch box set

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 136.99

The Doors

The Singles 2CD

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 16.99

The Doors / The Singles

CD 1

1. BREAK ON THROUGH (To The Other Side)
  2. END OF THE NIGHT

5. GET UP AND DANCE
  6. TREETRUNK
  7. THE MOSQUITO
  8. IT SLIPED MY MIND
  9. THE PIANO BIRD
  10. GOOD ROCKIN’
  11. ROADHOUSE BLUES (Live)
  12. ALBINONI: ADAGIO
  13. GLORIA (Live)
  14. MOONLIGHT DRIVE (Live)
  15. Hello, I Love You (Mono Radio Version)
  16. Touch Me (Mono Radio Version)
  17. Wishful Sinful (Mono Radio Version)
  18. Tell All The People (Mono Radio Version)

Blu-ray Audio

The Best Of The Doors (1973)
High Resolution Quadrophonic Mix

10. MOONLIGHT DRIVE
  11. LIGHT MY FIRE

Producer – Paul A. Rothchild
Producer – *Bruce Botnick and The Doors

71 responses to The Doors / The Singles 2CD+Blu-ray

1. Wesley says:

Who signed off that cover? It’s awful!

2. Mr Kinski says:

Do you know if a UK release is planned (it’s not on.Amazon UK yet)

3. Bjarne Laastad says:

Does this mean that we finally will get the single edit of “Light my fire” on CD?

4. Karsten says:

Amazon.de: The Singles Vinyl Box 129,99

5. colm47 says:

Hi Paul

Doors fan since I was 13 or so, many years ago now!

The 7 inch box looks great, despite the dubious cover design, as mentioned by Wesley.

Any idea if it will be on amazon or other sellers?
    Don’t want to get stung with import duty from USA to Dublin!

6. Alvy says:

What do the asterisks on Love Her Madly and Riders on the Storm (on the blu-ray track listing) indicate?

Good question. After a bit of digging, the answer is production. Those two were produced by Bruce Botnick and The Doors. The others are produced by Paul A. Rothchild. I have added this on the track listing.

7. Keith says:

wow the doors finally almost get it right,
    Icing on the cake would be that teh Blue Ray contained Hi rez versions of the 44 tracks as well as the Best of Quad.

I would hope these are the actual single mixes fingers crossed.

8. Keith says:

MIA by the way is the 12″ single mix of ‘the End’ used to promote ‘Apocalypse Now ! ‘

9. Tom McRae says:

Cheers, Paul. Have ordered the 2CD + Blu-ray from Amazon UK.

Fantastic Price!

10. Philip says:

Am I missing something – blu-Ray version just 58p more than just the 2 cd version. Is pricing correct?

11. mark browne says:

i have the dvd A audio perception set in hi res stereo and 5.1 of all albums, so not sure if i also need this set, but i always feel as if i do! …

12. mark browne says:

sod it, ordered anyway, haven’t got some of those single edits or b-sides, another one to thank Paul and Superdeluxe edition for…the most wallet fleecing website ever!!!

Haha… I’ve also placed my order, if that makes you feel any better (I have the perception box too…).

13. Kenny McHardy says:

Thanks Paul

I got th DVD-A box set from about 9/10 years ago and also the original DVD-A from the early 00’s. So why did I order this?? Lol

Pity the singles weren’t on the Blu Ray as well

14. Auntie Sabrina says:

The 2CD and blu-ray is a great price, it would be fantastic if it was in a similar packaging to the seven inch boxset.

15. Thanks Paul

The UK price was surprisingly cheaper, ordered!

16. Michael C says:

Order placed. Whilst owning all the albums proper and compilations through the years I naively thought that L.A. Woman and Waiting For The Sun would be in this collection. This being because they are featured on all the Best Of’s and Greatest Hits. Imagine my surprise after all these years when I check this out online and find that they were never singles.
    49 and deeply embarrassed.

17. Pablo says:

Hi Paul!, thank you as always!!

In my opinion…

Unless it is a drawing made by someone close to the band, I share that it is a lack of respect the cover of the box…

18. Eric M. says:

This is a great tracklist…

19. cal says:

There once was a time, in the many years gone, i bought an album, raced home and played it. It took about 45 minutes of my life, but it was worth it ! I’d play it over and over again and still only 45 minutes of my life.
    Now, with all these super deluxe versions i have to take a whole day to listen to the same album that used to take me, only 45 minutes !
    I’m not complaining, really, as i love a lot of these deluxe versions, but i just sometimes hark back to when an album was an album……..yes, you guessed it…….about 45 minutes long !

20. Marc says:

Who ist the man on the cover?

21. Daryl says:

I have the 2-disc version of The Best Of The Doors from 2000, so I don’t feel like I need this one really. I have to agree that the cover is terrible though!

On another note, does it look like Jim Morrison has the mumps in that photo, or is it just my eyes??!

22. Auntie Sabrina says:

Somebody needs to invent an audio blu-ray player with speakers, something like my old music centre I had back in the 70s…

• Gisabun says:

Hope you aren’t expecting 5.1 built in?
      Or how about a Blu-ray discman [and they’ll throw in some cheap $1 ear buds!].

23. Ern says:

Ordered. A no brainer at that price.
    Cannot wait for the release date to come around, I will be colouring in the cover picture while listening to the three discs.

24. RJS says:

That really does look like the sort of cover you see on cheap unauthorised bootleg live CDs that have flooded the market in the past few years.

25. Noel says:

Looks as though Peter Blake came in too expensive, so someone’s son or daughter was asked to come up with something in a similar vein!

26. Truthsayer says:

Hi Paul, About another troubadour from the same era, good old `Shakey` AKA Neil Young. I hope that ad for `Hitchhiker` comes true, this after all is a man who is known to have pulled a number of albums before the release date;

1974 – Human Highway
    1974 – Mediterranean
    1975 – Homegrown
    1977 – Chrome Dreams
    1978 – Comes a Time (Solo version)
    1982 – Island in the Sun
    1983 – Old Ways I
    1987 – Meadow Dusk
    1988 – Blue Note Cafe
    1989 – Times Square
    2000 – Toast

Let`s hope `Hitchhiker` dosen`t join that list. Sorry Doors fans to `but in`, I`m also a fan, CD/Blu-ray ordered, great price!

27. Bruce Padgett says:

Wonder if the blu will also contain the high-rez stereo versions of the tracks?

28. Marc says:

I skipped the Japanese singles box so this release is a no-brainer for me.

29. Steven says:

Why the four mono mixes? Were they the only four ever released as mono mixes? Or the only four they could fit on the first disc?

• R. Potter says:

It’s strange because these 4 mono mixes were originally released as stereo 45’s. Light My Fire, Love Me 2 Times and People Are Strange were released as mono 45’s. Not sure if The Unknown Soldier was mono or stereo. If these are indeed the original single mixes, Light My Fire should be mono as well and LOUD. The snare that begins the song on the 45 sounded like a cannon compared to the wimpy snap on the album. One can only hope.

30. Steven says:

Wow. Riders on the Storm only on disc 2?

That’s one helluva b-side….

• Chucky says:

The tracks are chronological with A-sides followed by B-sides. Riders On The Storm was an A-side. It’s on disc 2 because it came out towards the end of their career.

31. Phantom Stranger says:

I already have the aforementioned SACD, so I will only get the CD set.

32. Chris F says:

FAT JIM Drawing is fun awful!
    Looks like a bad mural by a bad artist in an alley off Sunset in Hollywood.
    Yikes.

33. Neil racher says:

Thanks again Paul for the heads up. Just ordered singles from Amazon Germany and deluxe CD from UK.
    Just hope the price drops a bit on the singles currently sits at €134!
    Don’t tell the wife!

34. David Olstein says:

Does anyone now which of the original single mixes were mono mixes? I’d like to think we’re getting the original single mixes, but I know better than to make assumptions. It’s possible we’re simply getting single edits of stereo album mixes. Which would be stupid, but I wouldn’t put it past the Doors management.

• R. Potter says:

Light My Fire, Love Me 2 Times, People Are Strange and possibly The Unknown Soldier were released as mono. I think that beginning with “Hello, I Love You” the remaining singles were stereo. “Wishful Sinful” was definitely released as a stereo 45 as well as “Touch Me”.

35. Eric says:

I am missing “The End” on the tracklisting ? Or have I overlooked something ?

36. Sandy says:

I was hoping for a cd release of 13 to sit alongside Wierd scenes inside the goldmine – 2 of my all time favourite compilations . That said , this looks to be great value .

Thanks for the site Paul , regards , Sandy .

37. El Nino says:

CD is a must have for me – thanks for the tip-off Paul.

38. pinkfloyd says:

Isn’t that Val Kilmer?

39. Mark Hanson says:

The Second Disc shows a different tracklist, that puts the mono radio edits at the end. That makes more sense, because you can listen through the singles without repetition. Here’s the TSD list:

Disc 1
    1.Break On Through (to the Other Side)
    2.End of the Night

9.The Piano Bird
    10.Good Rockin’
    11.Roadhouse Blues (Live)
    12.Albinoni: Adagio
    13.Gloria (Live)
    14.Moonlight Drive (Live)
    15.Hello, I Love You (Mono Radio Version)
    16.Touch Me (Mono Radio Version)
    17.Wishful Sinful (Mono Radio Version)
    18.Tell All the People (Mono Radio Version)

Blu-ray: The Best of The Doors (Quadrophonic Mix) (released as Elektra EQ-5035, 1973)
    1.Who Do You Love?
    2.Soul Kitchen
    3.Hello, I Love You
    4.People Are Strange
    5.Riders On the Storm
    6.Touch Me
    7.Love Her Madly
    8.Love Me Two Times
    9.Take It As It Comes
    10.Moonlight Drive
    11.Light My Fire

Disc 1, Tracks 1-4 from The Doors (Elektra, 1967)
    •Tracks 1-2 released as Elektra single EK-45611, 1967
    •Tracks 3-4 released as Elektra single EK-45615, 1967

Disc 1, Tracks 5-8 from Strange Days (Elektra, 1967)
    •Tracks 5-6 released as Elektra single EK-45621, 1967
    •Tracks 7-8 released as Elektra single EK-45624, 1967

Disc 1, Tracks 9-12 from Waiting for the Sun (Elektra, 1968)
    •Tracks 9-10 from Elektra single EK-45628, 1968
    •Tracks 11-12 from Elektra single EK-45635, 1968

Disc 1, Tracks 13-15 and 17-20 from The Soft Parade (Elektra, 1969)
    •Tracks 13-14 from Elektra single EK-45646, 1969
    •Tracks 15-16 from Elektra single EK-45656, 1969
    •Tracks 17-18 from Elektra single EK-45663, 1969
    •Tracks 19-20 from Elektra single EKS-45675, 1969

Disc 1, Tracks 21-22 from Morrison Hotel (Elektra, 1970)
    •Tracks 21-22 from Elektra single EKM-45685, 1970

Disc 1, Tracks 23 and 25-26 from L.A. Woman (Elektra, 1971)
    •Tracks 23-24 from Elektra single EKS-45726, 1971
    •Tracks 25-26 from Elektra single EKS-45738, 1971

Disc 2, Tracks 1-4 from Other Voices (Elektra, 1971)
    •Tracks 1-2 from Elektra single EKS-45757, 1971
    •Tracks 3-4 from Elektra single EK-45768, 1972

Disc 2, Tracks 5 and 7-10 from Full Circle (Elektra, 1972)
    •Tracks 5-6 from Elektra single EK-45793, 1972
    •Tracks 7-8 from Elektra single EK-45807, 1972
    •Tracks 9-10 from Elektra single EK-45825, 1972

Disc 2, Tracks 11-12 from An American Prayer (Elektra, 1978) and Elektra single E-46005, 1978
    Disc 2, Tracks 13-14 from Alive, She Cried (Elektra, 1973) and Elektra single 7-69770, 1983
    Disc 2, Track 15 from Elektra promo single EKM-45635, 1968
    Disc 2, Track 16 from Elektra promo single EKM-45646, 1969
    Disc 2, Track 17 from Elektra promo single EKM-45656, 1969
    Disc 2, Track 18 from Elektra promo single EKM-45663, 1969

Yes, Rhino changed it after first publishing the other track listing. The SDE post is updated.

40. Julian Hancock says:

In terms of the cover, it looks pretty much like Jim Morrison did in those photos of the band on Venice Beach in 1969, complete with bloated looking face. It might not be very flattering, but that’s another issue.

41. Geoff D says:

Shipping date at Amazon for the CD set has changed to 18th September.

42. Gisabun says:

Unsure what if any official promo videos are available for The Doors but they should of been added to the BR. Only appropriate.

43. Cameron Cook says:

Were any of the b-sides:
    a) album tracks or
    b) otherwise included in the “Perception” box?

• Cameron Cook says:

Never mind; that’s what I get for not reading the long comment (good info, Mark Hanson!).

44. Gisabun says:

Why is Amazon Canada always slow to list new stuff.
    Even worse is the upcoming compilation for The Winery Dogs. Still not listed and it’s just over a month away.

45. Bob says:

Is the Blu ray strictly Quad no high resolution stereo?

46. Mike says:

Hoping this sounds on par with The Chicago QUAD blu ray audio set….still amazed at the audio quality on that…

47. Vils says:

I glazed over when I first saw this – on the basis of ‘not another compilation’. However listening to it on Spotify these singles mixes sound subtly different from the well-worn LP versions on most compilations.
    Has anyone seen a summary of the differences?
    I might have to buy it!