The Fall / Singles 1978-2016 / 7CD box

Cherry Red are to release Singles 1978-2016, a new box set that features all of The Fall‘s A-sides and B-sides across seven discs!

This is the first collection of the band’s singles recorded across numerous different labels, including Step Forward, Rough Trade, Kamera, Beggars Banquet, Cog Sinister, Permanent, Artful, Action and Cherry Red.

The set has been compiled by Fall expert Conway Paton, everything has been remastered by Andy Pearce and this a comes with a what is described as a ‘book’ (could be a booklet) in the box with a full illustrated discography.

If the four CDs of Fall B-sides that feature in this seven-disc package are too much for you (whimp!), you can opt for a slimmed down three-CD edition called A-Sides 1978-2016.

Both Singles and A-Sides are released on 24 November 2017

The Fall

Singles 1978-2016: Deluxe 7CD Boxset

The Fall

A-Sides 1978-2016: Deluxe 3CD Boxset

DISC ONE:
SINGLES

1. BINGO-MASTER BREAKOUT
2. IT’S THE NEW THING
3. ROWCHE RUMBLE
4. FIERY JACK
5. HOW I WROTE ‘ELASTIC MAN’
6. TOTALLY WIRED

9. TELEPHONE THING
10. POPCORN DOUBLE FEATURE
11. WHITE LIGHTNING
12. HIGH TENSION LINE
13. FREE RANGE
14. ED’S BABE
15. WHY ARE PEOPLE GRUDGEFUL?
16. BEHIND THE COUNTER
17. 15 WAYS
18. THE CHISELERS

DISC THREE:
SINGLES

1. MASQUERADE
2. TOUCH SENSITIVE
3. F-‘OLDIN’ MONEY
4. RUDE (ALL THE TIME)
5. SUSAN VS YOUTHCLUB
6. (WE WISH YOU) A PROTEIN CHRISTMAS
7. THEME FROM SPARTA F.C. #2
8. DISTILLED MUG ART (MIX 15)
9. I CAN HEAR THE GRASS GROW
10. REFORMATION! (UNCUT)
11. SLIPPY FLOOR (MARK MIX)
12. BURY! #2+4
13. LAPTOP DOG
14. VICTROLA TIME
15. SIR WILLIAM WRAY (SINGLE MIX)
16. THE REMAINDERER

13. GLAM RACKET
14. WAR
15. HEY! STUDENT
16. THE $500 BOTTLE OF WINE
17. CHILINIST
18. MASQUERADE (PWL MIX)
19. TOUCH SENSITIVE (DANCE MIX)
20. ANTIDOTE

DISC SEVEN:
B-SIDES

1. PERFECT DAY (NEW VERSION)
2. I WAKE UP IN THE CITY
3. JANET VS JOHNNY
4. (WE ARE) MOD MOCK GOTH
5. MY EX CLASSMATE’S KIDS (LIVE)
6. I WAKE UP IN THE CITY (MIX 5)
7. CLASP HANDS
8. OVER OVER (ROUGH MIX)
9. HOT CAKE – PART 2
10. COWBOY GREGORI
11. COSMOS 7
12. MONOCARD (LUNATIC MIX)
13. TAKING OFF (LIVE)
14. JETPLANE
15. HITTITE MAN (SINGLE MIX)
16. AMORATOR!
17. ALL LEAVE CANCELLED

27 responses to The Fall / Singles 1978-2016 / 7CD box

1. Caroline says:

If anyone from Cherry Red is reading, can we have one tiny wee detail clarified?

On the “Sir William Wray” 7″, the album versions of “Hittite Man” and “SWW” were used in error. Will the box feature the versions that were meant to be on the single or the versions that actually appeared? The alternate “HM” was streamed for a while and was considered superior by many fans.

2. Pete says:

Hi Paul

One thing that’s always puzzled me: are the “You might also like…” suggestions on each page randomly generated? Leo Sayer and Jean Michel Jarre seem particularly unlikely on this page. But maybe not…

Not exactly random.. but it is automatic. There’s some algorithm that looks at tags, titles etc. and tries to put similar things in there..

• frattonlad says:

Mine are Metallica, Prince and The Verve. Equally unlikely I suspect but then what else is like The Fall? :D

On another note, this box sleeve design is abominable. Truly awful. When I think of some of the quirky, home-made Fall sleeves from the past this just looks like a rejected desk-top publishing project circa 1993!

Musically a great looking set though.

• Kevin S says:

I got

Tori Amos – Haircut 100 – Iggy Pop

• Ex-Oligarch says:

Ugliest Fall sleeve ever, and that’s saying something.

Given that people nowadays buy physical music as much for the package design as for the actual sounds contained therein — especially reissues, and especially deluxe box sets — it is hard to imagine how that sloppy cover was ever green-lighted by the label.

• Craig says:

Other than Prince, those options would be spot on for me!

3. David McIntyre says:

Looks tasty, I fell away from the Fall after the Shiftwork/Extricate era in the early 1990’s although always end up going back just to see what Mark E is up to. Definitely on the want list.

4. Chris Squires says:

Never liked The Fall…however what I find interesting is that a fairly niche artist can put out an extensive and seemingly interesting set whilst dealing with about 9 different labels.

One of the reasons I thought there would never be a decent Stephen Duffy retrospective is the difficulty in dealing with Five Believers, WEA, 10 Records (Virgin), Swordfish, Phonogram, Parlophone, Indolent, Cooking Vinyl, Folk Modern, Bogus Frontage, Fontana, Creation and finally Tapete.

I would kill for a real career spanner taking in Words of Hope, She Loves Me / She Loves It, Baby Impossible to No Sad Songs and everything in between. And I really don’t care that I already have all of this stuff, even one demo or alternate would make it worth while.

What this Fall set shows is that it can be done for a similar artist that won’t sell in even Marillion type numbers let alone Queen / Bowie type numbers. AND there is a massive link to the Fall with Stephen’s friendship / minor collaborations with Brix (and Nigel Kennedy but that is for another Gossip column).

If anyone that can do this reads this then do it……

Back to The Fall…my apologies.

• Caroline says:

Mark E Smith owns the rights to the majority of the group’s recordings so can do with them as he pleases – IIRC, the only ones he doesn’t have are the Beggars Banquet era (1984-1989 – Brix era 1) and maybe the Phonogram ones, although I think they have now reverted back to him via the original licence from his own Cog Sinister label.

• Big Ron says:

That’s not 100% accurate, I can tell you that this project has been a labour of love, with a number of different licensees. Mark certainly owns some of the earlier recordings, which are now controlled by Cherry Red.

However, there is repertoire from BMG (the Rough Trade & Kamera eras), as well as Beggars, Phonogram, Permanent, Artful and a couple of others.

By no means the longest list but still involving some hard miles!

In answer to Chris’ comments above re Stephen Duffy – it’s doable and just needs some one with the will, contacts and financial justification!

5. Leemer says:

I really liked the fall during their The Frenz Experiment / I Am Kurious Oranj era. Just spectacular. Maybe it was the mind I was in at the time, but I’ve never felt the same about them since. Still love those albums though.

• Ex-Oligarch says:

@Leemer — I’d guess your preference in Fall albums has something to do with the songwriting contributions of Brix Smith, who departed the band circa 1990. I also bet you’d enjoy the other albums and singles they issued on Beggars Banquet (except perhaps the half-assed “Seminal Live” that ended their contract with BBQ).

You might want to check out “Extricate” as well. It was the first entirely post-Brix album, and MES clearly felt he had something to prove. The songwriting is strong throughout, avoiding the lazy vamping that saps the energy of so many subsequent Fall albums. Also, it has the fantastically bitter kiss-off to Mark’s ex-wife, “Sing Harpy.”

6. Stevie B says:

I’ve ordered the Leo Sayer…the Fall will just have to wait!

7. Leemer says:

@Ex-Oligarch – Thank you. I will explore more Fall this fall.

8. Graham says:

Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran and Bob Marley. Have to be honest, all three are a more likely purchase for me, so well done automatic advertising code thingy. I should try The Fall. They sort of passed me by for some reason, but this probably isn’t the way to start… any suggestions for a cheap gateway?

9. Fear Of The Dark says:

The career-spanning compilation “50,000 Fall Fana Can’t Be Wrong” was my perfect introduction to The Fall’s first 25 years. Now, wanting more, but not quite ready to splurge on even the better studio albums, this 7CD collection will top up my Fall fix and, excitingly, showcase the wonderful and frightening world of their B-sides…

10. James Vandegrift says:

Christmas came early. Welcome news. Granny on Bongo’s……. True comedy

11. Brian says:

Damn The Mixer isn’t on there. I love that track.

12. Ian Harris says:

I know you can create your own with iTunes but I would have preferred to have all the a-sides and b-sides together in order rather than separated. Obviously done so discs 1-3 can be identical in both sets.

13. mike says:

Funny I have three cd singles of Hit The North, Victoria & Free Range, which I love and absolutely nowt else, must give them a try one day!

14. Mark says:

Missing some tracks that showed up on 12” singles, specifically thinking of “Australians in Europe” which is not on an all-time classic but definitely more worthy than some of the 7” B-sides from the same time period.

• jim vandegrift says:

thought the same thing

• Mark says:

It looks like the stray late 80’s B-sides that didn’t make it on this set are available on a recent box set of their last few Beggars Banquets albums, including the innumerable versions of “Hit the North.” Wish they had found room for “Bend Sinister”, apparently lost in shuffle and neglected as far as any type of special edition.

• Caroline says:

Apparently the b-sides discs weren’t intended to be comprehensive – as Mark points out, do we need all 6 or 7 versions of Hit The North again?

Beggars Arkive suggested earlier this year that we would get an updated “Bend Sinister” in 2017 but no dice. However, all the b-sides from Living Too Late, Mr Pharmacist and Hey! Luciani are on this set.

• Mark says:

I was disappointed when there was no “omnibus” edition of Bend Sinister, since that is probably my favorite of the Fall’s 80’s albums; I would even welcome a Mark E. Smith “Walkman” mix sourced from the battered cassette tape he originally wanted to use as the main master for the record.

As far as the B-sides on this collection go, the first disc contains a lot of essential songs, the second disc is mostly pretty great, the last two have some good tracks but are a little bit uneven overall.

15. Daniel says:

I bought the Complete Peel Sessions box set many years back and that was a really nice set. I don’t know why they would include some b-sides and not others in any this set. If including those missing songs adds 2 more CDs then such is life. The added size and cost isn’t going to be a deterrent since a set like this already caters to a niche audience. I would purchase this if it contained every A-side and B-side (the latter being of more interest to me since many of the A-sides will be on the albums) but I’m not going to purchase an incomplete set.