The Hit Factory: The Ultimate Collection

New Stock Aitken Waterman set • 3CDs • bonus disc of remixes

The Hit Factory: Ultimate Collection is a new three-CD various artists collection of songs produced by Stock Aitken Waterman.

This is a 50-track collection with the usual suspects all present and correct including Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley, Bananarama, Mel & Kim, Jason Donovan and Dead Or Alive.

It was just over five years ago we had the previous compilation Pete Waterman Presents The Hit Factory. There was a single disc edition of that set, but the one to get was the triple disc edition with a bonus disc of remixes (which went out-of-print, quite quickly, I think).

This new ‘Hit Factory’ release echoes that format with two discs of hits and a bonus CD of remixes. Of the 39 tracks on the first two discs of the 2012 set, 25 are repeated here, so you get 15 new selections (there are 40 tracks on the first two CDs of the new set). The bonus disc of 12-inch remixes included on The Hit Factory: Ultimate Collection repeats none of the previous ones. Two tracks are the same (Dead or Alive and Mandy Smith) but you get different remixes.

This new set certainly has a much groovier cover than the rather abysmal art of the previous release and it’s notable that there is no mention of either Pete Waterman or Stock Aitken Waterman on the front cover!

The Hit Factory: Ultimate Collection will be released on 3 November 2017

Various Artists

The Hit Factory: Ultimate Collection 3CD

The Hit Factory: Ultimate Collection (UK chart positions in brackets)

CD1

16. Bananarama – I Heard A Rumour [#14]
17. Kylie Minogue & Keith Washington – If You Were With Me Now [#4]
18. Westlife – Seasons In The Sun [#1]
19. Jason Donovan – Sealed With A Kiss [#1]
20. Rick Astley – When I Fall In Love [#2]

CD3

1. Bananarama – Venus (Hellfire Mix)
2. Dead Or Alive – You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) Murder Mix
3. Kylie Minogue – Better The Devil You Know (Mad March Hare Mix)
4. Rick Astley – Never Gonna Give You Up (Escape To New York Mix)
5. Jason Donovan – Nothing Can Divide Us (12″ Remix)
6. Brother Beyond – The Harder I Try (Extended Version)
7. Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan – All I Wanna Do Is Make You Mine (Extended Version)
8. Mandy Smith – I Just Can’t Wait (The Cool and Breezy Jazz Mix)
9. Hazell Dean – Whatever I Do (12″ Mix)
10. Stock Aitken Waterman – Roadblock (Rare Groove Mix)

39 responses to The Hit Factory: The Ultimate Collection

1. Daryl says:

I realise I am alone on this, but I’d rather a third disc of hits. Remixes are pointless to me (I understand I am probably in the minority here though).

2. Steven Robertson says:

As a huge SAW fan, this is just a blatant cash in. I’ve got everything on it and wont be buying it.

3. Yani P says:

Jeez :)

4. Fady says:

I must admit I’m a sucker for SAW and pretty much loved most of their releases. I’m surprised at some of the omissions though. Donna Summer, Brother Beyond released some brilliant tracks and there are heaps of better songs from Kylie and Bananarama that could have been included. I reckon you could go to a 4 disc set easily with just the singles and then add the best remixes onto a 5th disc. It’s not to say this isn’t good but it could have been so much better.

5. Calrec says:

The cover is awful,plus i have everything anyway. Also with the amount of unreleased PWL i have,i could have made a box set……

6. Karl Watson says:

Should’ve included the PWL mix of Wet Wet Wet’s Sweet Little Mystery :)

7. Fred says:

There is no rarities… And why The Jacksons and Musical Youth? It’s not a SAW production !

8. Francis says:

I have the Expanded and Deluxe Editions of albums by most of the artists featured on this 3CD Set with many bonuses remixes included so have no need for this collection (Bananarama, Big Fun, Dead Or Alive, Jason Donovan, Kylie Minogue, Mel & Kim, Pepsi & Shirlie, Rick Astley, Samantha Fox, Sinitta, Sonia…etc). Also, there was the recent “Say I’m Your Number One” Box Set plus many other 2CD Sets over the past few years with almost just as many tracks as this recent compilation.

9. Auntie Sabrina says:

Didn’t Pete Hammond produce the 12″ of Pass The Dutchie? I Want You Back (12 Inch remix)) was also mixed by Phil Harding with additional production from Phil Harding & Ian Curnow, so these versions ought to be the ones included

10. Aaron says:

Why are the Jackson 5 on here???

11. Patrick says:

The tracks mentioned above that are missing/included that are less obvious are probably because they were included on Stock Aitken and Waterman ‘Gold’ similar compilation back circa 2oo5 and so most likely that some effort has been made for this to vary from that compilation a bit even though it is more or less the same bag. ‘Gold’ is slightly better though I would say…..

• Simonf says:

Gold is lot better than this set, having compared the two track listings. With Gold you don’t have to suffer Steps or the rubbish Grease Megamix. I’ve had Gold for years and would never swap it for this set. Kudos though for including both the Jackson 5 remix which I had on 12″ but sadly lost some years ago, I think it got nicked after a DJ gig, and I’ve never been able to replace it, and also the Pepsi & Shirlie track – glorious 80’s pop at it’s best!

12. gwynogue says:

Well as Kylie herself once sang, “…I’ve heard all that before…”

But, I have to admit I’ve ordered it anyway. :S

I’d love to see a 3-disc set of just remixes – that would be amazing! Yes it would give me a headache, but an AMAZING headache, lol.

13. CJ Feeney says:

The Hit Factory will always mean Motown to me. And as good as SAW were, they pale in comparison. They should have found their own strapline rather than borrowing someone else’s.

14. elliott buckingham says:

i find the saw stuff only relevant for the 80s hits anything after 1990 just gets a tad lame. might pick this up though for the 12″ disc

15. Eightiesaddict says:

The fans should have chosen the remixes contained on the 3rd disc. Seriously, “The Murder Mix” again? Ditto “The Hellfire Mix”.

16. RichardB says:

Licensing issues may be the reasons why acts like Donna Summer and Brother Beyond aren’t included – my memory is they weren’t released via PWL?

• Chris says:

Actually I think it’s spite. She and SAW had a falling out after APAT was recorded. There was a second album, but her vocals were erased off of it. I know that This Time was a huge hit in the UK, even as Geffen decided against releasing it here in the States.

17. Nigel Dean says:

the last hit factory collection release along with 30 years of bananarama disappointed me, they cut some intros to shorten the song and some tracks like ‘I want you back’ were the album versions, not the single/radio edits…..how about releasing a compilation with the actual single versions – this release could have had more Hazel or added Lonnie Gordon instead of Westlife!

18. Kauwgompie says:

Everyone who likes SAW already has these songs. There is nothing specialist here. They need to do a Stock Aitken & Waterman box set Singles part 2.The fist singles box set was really good. Many great remixes, a lot of rare stuff. It’s out of print so I assumed it sold well. Now it is time for part 2 of te singles box!!

19. Mark says:

Westlife….? I can see it was recorded at PWL studios..were any of SAW anywhere near the studio for this?

20. John says:

Missing one of my favourite SAW productions – Lonnie Gordon Happenin’ All Over Again – criminal!! :)

21. CJ says:

It’s not a terrible price, but I still need to think on this one. Of the fifteen “new” tracks, I think I have quite a few of them on other expanded releases of the actual artists, so this may be one that I wait for a clearance price on. I have two previous SAW sets, plus the Singles Box. I understand this is aimed more at casual fans and reminding the public of their legacy, but I would have preferred something with real rarities or even some unreleased material.

22. Griffin says:

Haven’t we got all the PWL/SAW compilations & PWL/SAW artists SuperDeluxeEdition/Expanded Edition CD’s already? I agree with Kauwgompie they should continue with the next volume of the 30 CD singles box. Or they should have included all missing tracks (7″/12″/dub/instr/acapella etc from the PWL/SAW artists Expanded Editions due to lack of disc space or licensing issues back then when released! There’s NOTHING new here we haven’t seen/heard before. Or instead of a 3rd disc with bonus remixes they could also include a bonus DVD with all released or even unreleased PWL/SAW-promo music videos.

23. Colin says:

Of course everyone reading this will know which act has sold more units than any other act for PWL. If not, Answer later today!

24. Auntie Sabrina says:

Is it Pat Sharp and Mick Brown, Colin..?

25. mike says:

Nothing at all new, so pointless to the PWL collector.

26. FROM MARS says:

Gold delivered what is promised.. Sputnik Corps apart !

27. Ruedi says:

I’ve been hoping for another SAW collection for a while, but I’m disappointed by this. They probably called it “The Hit Factory” so they could include all the obscure stuff that wouldn’t fit on a strict SAW release. There are too many omissions of great tracks by too many artists they worked with, and there are too many mediocre tracks on here. Don’t need no Steps or Jason Donovan, in particular, but that’s obviously a matter of taste. I still hope for a comprehensive collection that features all the singles they every produced. I don’t need 15 versions of the same track (like on “Say I’m Your Number One”). Just the single version, remastered, please. It will probably never materialize because of licensing reasons, but one can always dream, right?! :-)

28. Dejan Dozic says:

Been done before with the title “Stock Aitken Waterman GOLD” 3CD
    Sony BMG Music Entertainment ‎– 82876730982, PWL Records ‎– 82876730982
    Tracks see website.

29. Dirk says:

Yawn. Bring on Vol. 2 of the SAW singles box!

30. colin says:

This set was on the shelves in Sainsburys last week, so if you want a copy before release date on Friday, hot foot it down to Sainsburys in Cheadle NOW!

31. Larry Davis says:

Well I missed out on “Gold”, and the SAW “Say I’m Your Number One” singles box was quite pricey and also now out of print…so when I saw this set, and the price dropped…now 9.99 pounds…with VAT axed and shipping added, that’s like $15 US…a steal!! Sure this set coulda been better…but with that price and what’s actually ON there?? No-brainer!! Ka-ching. For now. I will eventually get the other sets because I am a rare US SAW fan…3 other things, wasn’t the best-selling PWL artist Kylie?? Second, there WAS a SAW followup album to Donna Summer’s APAT but they erased the vocals?? What happened there?? And it came out in the US on Atlantic…why did Geffen refuse to release it and Atlantic was a new deal to release APAT in the US?? And third, most people are unaware but one of my all-time fave female singers is Sandra Cretu, the “voice of Enigma”…and in 1987, she covered one of my all-time fave songs in “Everlasting Love” and her label, Virgin Schalplatten, put forth the idea for SAW to remix the track for the UK/US market “because they were the hottest production teams at the time” and to see what happens…if they didn’t like it, they wouldn’t release it…but Cretu DID like it…and that was her only US-charting solo single, hitting, like, #27 on the Billboard Dance Club Play chart!! It’s what I heard and been a fan since…Phil Harding/Ian Curnow did the honours…but a tragedy happened!! When SAW/Phil & Ian sent Cretu back the original master of the track, Sandra’s vocal was ERASED!! And they couldn’t find who the culprit actually was…but damage was done and Cretu couldn’t do a new remix of it on her 1999 album “My Favourites”, and he wanted to, badly. A newly created ballad version was recorded on her 2006 album “Reflections”…I wonder who erased Sandra’s vocals??? But for 9.99 pounds, this 3CD set is a done deal!!