The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy / Secondary Phase 3LP coloured vinyl

First time on vinyl • Luxury presentation • 500 signed sets

Demon Record will issue Secondary Phase a new 3LP coloured vinyl deluxe set that features the second series of Douglas Adams’ classic comedy science fiction radio show The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy.

Like the previous set, this presented on triple 180g coloured vinyl (orange this time) and housed in a 12″ x 12″ hardcover book. This limited edition of Secondary Phase comes with a 12″ x 12″ print signed by Paddy Kingsland, the BBC radiophonic workshop composer who worked on this very series of The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy (as well as the TV adaptation).

This set features the audio from episodes 7 to 12 where we follow Zaphod Beeblebrox as he journeys into a totally weird new dimension, and intrepid Earthman Arthur Dent as he tries to escape the Prehistoric era with his friend Ford Prefect. Plug into a seance between Zaphod and his great-grandfather, and join Arthur as he meets the Bird People of Brontitall (who worship a 15 mile-high statue of, well, Arthur).

These radio series really did boast an excellent cast. They starred Peter Jones as The Book, with Simon Jones as Arthur Dent, Geoffrey McGivern as Ford Prefect, Mark Wing-Davey as Zaphod Beeblebrox, and Stephen Moore as Marvin the Paranoid Android, with a guest support from the likes of Bill Paterson, John Le Mesurier, Ken Campbell, Valentine Dyall, Rula Lenska, Bill Wallis, Alan Ford and Jonathan Pryce.

As you can see from the images above, this set continues with the stunning design. Each coloured vinyl record comes in an illustrated wallet inside a 20-page hardcover book. Last time out Neil Gaiman wrote the sleeve notes but for this volume aforementioned Radiophonic Workshop composer contributes along with Jem Roberts, Douglas Adams’s official biographer.

500 copies of the The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy: Secondary Phase limited SIGNED edition are available to pre-order now. These signed exclusives are only available via Amazon UK and will be released on 12 October 2018.

Douglas Adams

THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY - SECONDARY PHASE SIGNED 3LP vinyl - 500 only

Vinyl Record 1
Side A: Episode One – Fit The Seventh
Side B: Episode Two – Fit The Eighth

Vinyl Record 2
Side A: Episode One – Fit The Ninth
Side B: Episode Two – Fit The Tenth

Vinyl Record 3
Side A: Episode One – Fit The Eleventh
Side B: Episode Two – Fit The Twelfth

20 responses to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy / Secondary Phase 3LP coloured vinyl

1. Elizabeth Ursula Hirst says:

I wish they could leave a little longer between issuing the sets. Next month is already expensive with the Bowie box. Ah well, I knew that I was in for the long haul when I bought the first of these and they will look lovely on the shelf, and I listen to the whole run at least once every 18 months.

2. horslips says:

I note that there is a new blu-ray edition (the first, I think) of the original BBC TV series out on the 1st October.

Comes in a retro VHS case which looks cool. About 5 hours of extras with some being new.

Exciting times for us hikers!

3. horslips says:

Interestingly, the non-signed edition is £76.

I bought the first and it is a lovely box-set. The essays included were quite short (and there was at least one typo in Neil’s one – sloppy editing) but mildly interesting.

Was it worth the £60+? Probably not, but it is Hitchhiker’s!

4. Heraldo says:

I had contemplated buying the 1st Phase but opted against knowing I’d be signing up for an outlay of £300-£400 to get the full set (like one of those part work magazines)

I’m sure the V Phases will be things of beauty but I think it’s interesting to compare the approach/pricing to the League of Gentleman set which included 12 LPs (+ emphemera) and a seemingly similar effort / attention to detail in presentation and potentially appeals to a similar audience (if I’m anything to go by) but had a retail price last week safely under £100.

• Chris Squires says:

yup, I got my LoG for £95.99.

I am surprised that the first HGTTG phase I didn’t drop below £65 and is still holding strong. At the end of the day it’s still only a 3 LP set for £70, we all laughed our backsides off at The Human League and Paul McCartney “Pure” for pretty much the same thing.

So 12LPs of LoG for sub-£100 and 15LPs of HGTTG will be £330?

• Peter Muscutt says:

I had similar thoughts with regards to each of the radio series being released every few months and shuddered at the outlay on them!! Would be a cool complete set to have, but agree on the L.O.G. set – after seeing them live on Sunday it reinforced for me what a great set it should be (although someone did make the valid point that a lot of the visual jokes and references would be lost – if you’re that much of a fan though, I expect you will know what the laughs are at…I presume the laugh track will be left in on the vinyls and it will be a “direct” soundtrack of the radio/TV episodes?)

I can’t put my finger on it but as lavish as the packaging of the Hitchiker’s vinyls is, I just can’t warm to it.

Maybe I’ll grab them if they come down in price in years to come – a fine comedy/sci-fi series!

• Paul Bibby says:

Where is LoG Vinyl Cuts available for less than £100?

Amazon is currently priced at £139.99 and given the pre-order commitment to charge the lowest price on release it suggests the price hasn’t shifted.

5. Dave Clarkson says:

thanks, bought the 1st release and now ordered this. Appreciated :-)

6. AndyB says:

My thought after reading the title of this article was, “how the hell did they get Douglas Adams’s signature?”

7. Steven Roberts says:

No wish to denigrate the efforts of Paddy Kingsland, but I would have thought these boxes would have been more appealing if signed by various members of the voice cast (most of whom are I’m happy to say still with us).

Still, at least Paddy worked on the show – can’t say the same for Neil Gaiman…….

8. Marcus Palmer says:

Gone up by £7 since first thing this morning, when I was going to order it, but the site had temporarily crashed! So if it doesn’t decrease then I won’t bother.

9. Phil Salter says:

The quality of the first box set was amazing – not a single crackle over all 6 sides – and a beautifully presented package. Didn’t expect this one quite so soon though!!!

10. Gerard Bartholomew says:

Why not bring this out on cd as well. Some is us prefer cd to vinyl. It’s just not fair!!!

• MFG says:

The Complete Radio Series box set has been available for awhile now on CD. I’d be fine with a separate release of the book, that I could skim while listening to the CDs. But, I guess the probability of that happening is similar to a phone number for an Islington flat…

• Dominic says:

It came out on CD in 1996 and has been reissued a number of times since. There’s plenty of copies available on Discogs.

• Gareth Pugh says:

Had a quick look on amazon UK a few weeks back and from what I could see, all the radio series seemed to be available on (quite recent) CD sets, I think?