The House Of Love / 5-disc super deluxe

5CDs • 23 previously unreleased tracks • ‘Complete’ Creation recordings

A three-CD deluxe edition of The House of Love‘s debut album was reissued back in 2012 but now Cherry Red go two better by issuing a five-disc 30th anniversary set.

This new package is said to offer the band’s complete Creation recordings from 1987-1988, together with a raft of rarities and previously unissued bonus material – 84 tracks in total.

Apparently with no shame (!) the label state that “for the first time” the album is re-mastered from the original quarter-inch tapes. So why didn’t they do that in 2012!? To be fair perhaps they weren’t available, although I’m sure the phrase ‘original tapes’ was used to promote it back then, since the SDE post at the time makes reference to it and I wouldn’t have written that just for fun. Regardless, this new edition still looks like a good set and by my count 23 tracks are previously unreleased (lots of early mixes and demos).

The second and third CDs combine the non-album tracks with numerous demos and early mixes, CD 4 includes various BBC radio sessions for John Peel and the final disc delivers mostly unissued live tracks from various shows.

This 30th anniversary package comes as a hardcover book (sounds like it could be similar to Edsel’s recent 25th anniversary issue of Suede‘s debut) with fresh sleeve-notes from Neil Taylor. There will also be a limited edition 2LP vinyl set, which includes bonus tracks, issued at the same time.

The House of Love 30th anniversary edition will be released on 28 September 2018.

House Of Love

House Of Love (30th Anniversary Edition)

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 29.99

6. SALOME
7. LOVE IN A CAR
8. HAPPY
9. FISHERMAN’S TALE
10. TOUCH ME

BONUS TRACKS
11. SHINE ON (Demo – LP Bonus 7”)
12. CHRISTINE (Demo – LP Bonus 7”)

DISC TWO
8. LONELINESS IS A GUN
9. THE HEDONIST
10. WELT
11. DESTROY THE HEART
12. BLIND
13. MR. JO
14. SHINE ON (Guy Chadwick Demo)
15. REAL ANIMAL (Demo)
16. TOUCH ME (Demo)
17. HAPPY (Demo)
18. ROAD (Early Mix)
19. SALOME (Early Mix)
20. FISHERMAN’S TALE (Early Mix)
21. DESTROY THE HEART (Demo)
22. SHINE ON (Fuck Version) (Flexidisc)

DISC THREE:
DEMOS AND EARLY MIXES
1. ROAD (Longer Early Mix) *
2. SULPHUR (Early Mix) *
3. HAPPY (Early Mix) *
4. FISHERMAN’S TALE (Early Mix) *
5. TOUCH ME (Early Mix) *
6. SALOME (Early Mix) *
7. SHINE ON (Band Demo)
8. REAL ANIMAL (16 Track Demo)
9. CHRISTINE (16 Track Demo)
10. HOLD ON ME (16 Track Demo)
11. HOPE (Early Mix)
12. MAN TO CHILD (Early Mix)
13. LOVE IN A CAR (Early Mix)
14. MODERN WORLD (Welt) (Demo)
15. LITTLE GIRL (Mr Jo) (Early Mix)
16. SULPHUR (Early Mix)

4. DESTROY THE HEART
5. BLIND
6. MR. JO

32 responses to The House Of Love / 5-disc super deluxe

1. David A says:

Hi Paul and everyone
    is it me or do the new remasters sound awful???? I had the 3-cd version and I cringed at the idea of buying the 5-cd version, but was happy to see it was a nice book-like set and that it wasn’t bigger than the previous set, so it will just replace it without taking more space..
    But I’m listening to it right now and the remasters sound very weak and muffled, esp. compared to the previous set. I’m not an expert on this, so I’d love to hear what you guys think..

2. David S says:

Available at CR for around the same price for those that are interested.

3. Daniel says:

I wonder if the 40th anniversary will see 2 more discs. Luckily I didn’t buy the 3-CD version, so this is pretty attractive for a record I loved when it was originally released.

4. Paul Wren says:

A truly excellent band that should have gone global. There is also a double vinyl due 28th September 2018 but the second disc contains just B sides of singles etc, ie no demos/early mixes/live material:

5. Wax Monster X says:

Glad I never got around to buying the 2012 issue! Re: Cherry Red reissues. They are notorious for many so called remastered reissues that are not. Even the new Bow Wow Wow sounds weak. Hope the HOL is truly remastered. Since the CD format is gasping the least the labels could do is get the reissues right. If you want my $$$ make it worth it. I don’t want badges, posters, postcards, etc. I just want the disc to sound good! Who looks at that s**t but once anyway.

4ad reissues. Yes please before us old fans are too deaf or too old to care.

6. Dave Richards says:

Paul
    It is probably just my luddite tendencies, but whenever I try to copy the URL for one of your articles and post it on FB, the URL copies over just as your base URL (superdeluxe.com) I am on a Mac, but that should not make a difference- just thought you might like to know. It makes it hard to blast your posts to my friends. :-)

That might be to do with browser settings… some ‘hide’ full URLs. Which are you using?

7. Brian says:

I understand that those who already own the three disc version might consider this to be superfluous, but at £25 on the Cherry Red site this is a really decent price. Particularly when compared with the inflated prices we’ve seen for some recent super deluxe editions. 80 odd tracks for the cost of a round of drinks. Pretty good value.

8. poptones says:

The 3CD edition, 3 years ago, was pretty good. No need for a new SDE of that album.

About the second album, I guess the recordings are still a property of Fontana-Universal and Cheery Red only owns the rights to the Creation recordings of the House of Love. It shouldn’t be a problem though. House of Love released 3 albums for Fontana and they have never been reissued or remastered since the original release date (1990, 1992 and 1993) so I don’t think Fontana/Universal cares that much about owning the House of Love’s back catalogue. I think Cherry Red can easily make an offer.

About super deluxe editions of indie labels, 4AD should do more SDEs. Except the Pixies’ Doolittle 25 (25th anniversary edition) and LSXX (Breeders’ Last Splash 20th anniversay edition), I don’t remember 4AD making super deluxe editions of their catalogue. With Vaughan Olliver’s super artwork and a superb catalogue like Cocteau Twins, Birthday Party, Bauhaus, Red House Painters, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Throwing Muses, Xymox, Dif Juz, etc. they have enough work for years ! They should start with the Cocteau Twins’s discography. Not necessarely the first album (they already added the Peel Session when the album was reissued on CD in the 90s) but I’d love to see a SDE of their last album for 4AD : Heaven Or Las Vegas.

• thefxc says:

4AD used to be pretty good with this; earlier this decade they did full editions of This Mortal Coil’s and Colourbox’s catalogues. But it recent years it seems that all of the Beggars group has been trigger shy about physical product. I hope they get around to Wolfgang Press, Dif Juz, and Xmal Deutschland sets before they give up on CDs entirely.

• xymox970 says:

4AD SDEs is what we need……I completely second that……:)

• Larry Davis says:

They did Lush’s 4AD catalogue as the 5CD box called “Chorus” when they reunited…but I’m game for the rest…

• Neil says:

Those Robin Guthrie remasters of the Cocteau Twins albums are dire and brickwalled to hell. They need done properly.

9. Manuel says:

Is there something in the old 3 CD edition that will not be included in this new release?

10. Steve says:

There was also another reissue of the first album in 2001 as The Creation Recordings, so this is actually the third CD reissue of that album https://www.discogs.com/The-House-Of-Love-The-House-Of-Love-1986-88-The-Creation-Recordings-/master/660976

11. Neil says:

Can we trade in the 3 disc version for the 5 disc one as i remember James did that when they reissued Gold Mother to include Sit Down in the track listing. Seriously though we want deluxe versions of the second album and Babe Rainbow instead of another rehash.

12. Paul English says:

Is there any chance of a reissue of the second album? You’d need three CDs and this is what I think should be included.

Disc 1: The House Of Love (1990)
    01 Hannah
    02 Shine On
    03 Beatles And The Stones
    04 Shake And Crawl
    05 Hedonist
    06 I Don’t Know Why I Love You
    07 Never
    08 Someone’s Got To Love You
    09 In A Room
    10 Blind
    11 32nd Floor
    12 Se Dest

Disc 2: A Spy In The House Of Love (1990)
    01 Safe
    12 Love IV
    13 No Fire
    14 Love V

Disc 3: Single Mixes and B-Sides
    01 Never (12″ Version)
    02 Safe (Original Mix)
    03 I Don’t Know Why I Love You (7″ Version)
    04 Secrets
    05 I Can’t Stand It
    06 Clothes
    07 The Spy
    08 Shine On (Full Re-recorded Version)
    09 No Fire (Original Mix)
    10 Allergy
    11 Rosalyn
    12 Rouge
    13 Scratched Inside (Alternate Mix)
    14 Beatles And The Stones (Remix)
    15 Phone (Acoustic)
    16 Marble (Original Mix)
    17 Glorify Me
    18 Baby Teen (Radio Edit)

• Kauwgompie says:

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

• Ross says:

Yes, this is great. It needs to be released – and I have virtually all of it already. Wasn’t there a Live in Chicago CD (or something like that)? Would be nice to have those 5 tracks on there too. Think it was a promo.

13. Eamonn says:

The Suede one was such a disappointment, so much repetition of stuff.

Paul, you interviewed one of the head guys at Edsel about five years ago – it would be interesting if you got to natter to him again and revisit some of the topics raised at that time and see how things have changed for the label and the reissue industry generally since then.

14. gogandmagog says:

The Complete John Peel Sessions
    It seems Disc 4 includes all the first CD
    (and is the same that The John Peel Sessions (1988-1989) http://amzn.eu/bmmBxLD )

Great, I don’t have it
    But it seems missed the first three at the second CD session 12/12/89:
    So Dest
    32nd Floor
    LoveII

15. gogandmagog says:

Already have the 2012…expecting the following three albums, all b-sides and rarities, at least 2 CDs each one

16. Ross says:

Have the 3cd edition. Do I need this one? Not really. Will I buy it anyway? Probably. Just wish they would get on with deluxe reissues of their Fontana albums, the second album especially. There are enough B-sides and alternative versions from those sessions for a 3cd set, easily.

17. Kevin says:

Ordered this just the other day. Looking forward to it, but I have to echo the sentiment that their Fontana years deserve better than this:

And, yes, I have it.

18. Kauwgompie says:

Why do they keep re-issuing the first album? After the 3xcd from 2012 they should now move on to the second and most successful album. I know both albums are called “House Of Love” and “Shine On” is now on both albums but I find the 2nd album better and much more deserving of an SDE especially since the 1st album has already been reissued with a plethora of bonus tracks. Entirely unnecessary to revisit that if the 2nd album hasn’t been re-issued with bonus tracks.
    I have the 2012 3xcd version and will not be buying the 5xcd.

19. Caroline says:

The debut album is subject to yet another reissue while their superior second and third albums remain untouched. A 3CD set would be perfectly do-able for both even if one just compiled all the b-sides and the later Peel Sessions. Who owns those albums nowadays? Universal? Would absolutely LOVE to see something done with those.

20. Cosmo Castanza says:

The House Of Love (along with The Chameleons) are the two ‘ how did they not sell millions of copies’ imo.
    I look forward to buying this .

21. Schu says:

I JUST bought the previous deluxe set. Damn! Wondering if that set has anything on it that this set doesn’t have? Need to check . . .

22. Mark S says:

So many sets these days are coming with tracks listed as “early mix” when I am assuming they are “outfakes” and in fact newly created mixes.
    I find it hard to believe given how stuff is made that mix after mix was kept and just sitting there for all these tracks. Not just the HOL but so many bands.
    Be as well putting the tapes online and just letting everyone have a go.
    I bought the last deluxe of this and not sure how I feel about buying it all again so soon. Obviously gives the band something to promote with upcoming live shows.
    Would much prefer to see 2cd sets of their other albums.

• Scott says:

I’m currently working on remastering a CD release for an early 80’s project called Trees and can address the “early mix” phenomena. Often times, early mixes are essentially unmixed. They are the various tracks (8, 16, 24) set at an adequate volume and more often run off to cassette for the artist (or publisher, etc) to review to see if they want to move forward with mixing the track as is. In the case of the project I’m working on, the early mixes I’m including as bonus material were very different. One was a duet that was rejected because it was suggested the artist would be confused as a “duo”, so the lyrics were completely rewritten and restructured and re-recorded over the 16 track master of the same backing track, so the only record of the original intent was on the artists cassette references. One “early” version of another song was deemed “too dark” so it was completely re-recorded. Other early mixes that I’m not including are noticeably different than the released versions, but not near as much as the two previously mentioned, so they may be saved for a future archival release. So yes, early mixes are more experiments with this and that before they are committed as the intended “released” version. Should they all be included? Not necessarily, but if you are scrounging for content to fill out the discs, that’s likely where it will come into play.