The Human League offer to replace incorrect Anthology booklets

The Human League / A Very British Synthesizer Group box set

The anthology was issued last week

The Human League have apologised to fans for a printing error on the 3CD+DVD edition of their new anthology and have promised that replacements will be issued.

The band posted a note on their facebook page to say that they were “extremely sorry” that there has been a printing error on the outside back sheet and booklet of the initial batch of the four-disc set of A Very British Synthesizer Group which has an incorrect running order for the DVD – it should say that it contains 24 BBC performances, not 25 as listed.

The group go on to say that the record company (Universal) will send fans replacement booklets and back sheets at their expense, regardless of where they live.

Any SDE readers who aren’t aware of this offer and want to take it up, need to send their name and address to infoumc@umusic.com with THE HUMAN LEAGUE in the email header.

This fault only affects the 3CD+DVD and was apparently caused by the printer using the wrong file, rather than it not being proof-read properly.

A Very British Synthesizer Group is out now.

The Human League

A Very British Synthesizer Group 3CD+DVD - deluxe

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 44.99

The Human League

A Very British Synthesizer Group - 3LP Vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 100.99

The Human League

A Very British Synthesizer Group - 2CD Edition

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 29.99

track_listing

CD 1
Being Boiled (A-Side single)
The Dignity of Labour (Part 3)
Empire State Human (A-Side single)
Only After Dark (single edit)
Nightclubbing (from “Holiday ’80 EP”)
Boys and Girls (A-Side single)
The Sound of The Crowd (instrumental version)
Hard Times (B-Side single)
Love Action (I Believe In Love) (A-Side single)
Open Your Heart (A-Side single)
Don’t You Want Me (A-Side single)
Mirror Man (A-Side single)
You Remind Me Of Gold
(Keep Feeling) Fascination (extended version)
The Lebanon (single version)
Louise (DJ Edit)

CD 2
Life On Your Own (A-Side single)
Human (extended version)
I Need Your Loving (DJ Edit)
Love Is All That Matters (DJ Edit)
Heart Like a Wheel (William Orbit remix)
Soundtrack to a Generation (edit)
Tell Me When (radio edit)
One Man In My Heart (A-Side single)
Filling Up With Heaven (A-Side single)
Stay With Me Tonight (single version)
All I Ever Wanted (radio edit)
Night People (radio edit)
Never Let Me Go
Sky (radio edit)

CD 3 (Super Deluxe Edition)
The Path Of Least Resistance (early version)
No Time (The Word Before Last, early version)
Being Boiled (State Of The Art Mix 1)
Stylopops You Broke My Heart (Marianne, early version)
I Am The Law (early version)
Darkness (early version)
Louise (early version)
The Real Thing (early version)
Love On The Run (early version)
A Doorway (early version)
F.M. (Soundtrack to a Generation, early version)
Happening Woman (Filling Up With Heaven, early version)
Give It Back (Houseful of Nothing, early version)
New Start (All I Ever Wanted, early version)
SH5 (Liar, early version)
Biller 10 (Single Minded, early version)
Jupiter 4c (Sky, early version)

DVD
One Man In My Heart
All I Ever Wanted
Filling Up With Heaven
Night People
Never Let Me Go

HUMAN LEAGUE AT THE BBC
The Path of Least Resistance (Mainstream 6/11/79)
Empire State Human (Mainstream 6/11/79)
Rock ‘n’ Roll – Part 2 (TOTP 8/5/80)
The Sound of The Crowd (TOTP 30/4/81)
The Sound of The Crowd (TOTP 21/5/81)
Love Action (TOTP 6/8/81)
Open Your Heart (TOTP 8/10/81)
Don’t You Want Me (TOTP 24/12/81)
Love Action (Christmas TOTP 25/12/81)
Love Action (Multi Coloured Swap Shop 30/5/82)
Mirror Man (TOTP 18/11/82)
Keep Feeling (Fascination) (TOTP 5/5/83)
The Lebanon (TOTP 3/5/84)
Life On Your Own (TOTP 28/6/84)
I’m Coming Back (On The Road 25/8/84)
Rock Me Again and Again… (On The Road 25/8/84)
Human (Wogan 13/8/86)
Human (TOTP 28/8/86)
Heart Like A Wheel (Wogan 13/8/90)
Heart Like A Wheel (TOTP 23/8/90)
Tell Me When (TOTP 22/12/94)
Tell Me When (TOTP 5/1/95)
One Man In My Heart (TOTP 16/3/95)
The Stars Are Going Out (Later with Jools Holland 25/11/95)
The Sound Of The Crowd (Later with Jools Holland 25/11/95).

3LP Vinyl Edition

SIDE A
A1: Being Boiled (Fast Product Version)
A2: The Dignity of Labour – Part 3
A3: Empire State Human
A4: Only After Dark
A5: Nightclubbing
A6: Boys and Girls

SIDE B
B1: The Sound Of The Crowd (Instrumental)
B2: Hard Times
B3: Love Action (I Believe In Love)
B4: Open Your Heart
B5: Don’t You Want Me

SIDE C
C1: Mirror Man
C2: You Remind Me Of Gold
C3: (Keep Feeling) Fascination (Extended Version)
C4: The Lebanon
C5: Louise (Radio Edit)*

SIDE D
D1: Life On Your Own (Radio Edit)*
D2: Human (Extended Version)
D3: I Need Your Loving (Radio Edit)*
D4: Love Is All That Matters (Radio Edit)*
D5: Heart Like A Wheel (William Orbit Remix)

SIDE E
E1: Soundtrack To A Generation (Radio Edit)*
E2: Tell Me When (Radio Edit)*
E3: One Man In My Heart
E4: Filling Up With Heaven

SIDE F
F1: Stay With Me Tonight
F2: All I Ever Wanted – Radio Edit*
F3: Night People – Radio Edit
F4: Never Let Me Go
F5: Sky – Radio Edit

40 responses to The Human League offer to replace incorrect Anthology booklets

1. Brian says:

80 quid and they couldn’t even get that right.

2. Pete Miles says:

Has anyone had a reply from that Universal Music email?

• bryan says:

The email they posted now is not working, and no one reply ever since, perhaps they found more error and couldn’t correct yet, funny they posted and gone in the thin air……….

3. Guy says:

Are there any apologies for charging extortionate amounts for the 3cd & dvd and the vinyl packages in the first place? ;-)

4. Johnny says:

Hi Paul,
    any idea why the HMV price quoted above is wrong (£44.99). It appears to be £79.99 at the store – I think it has been for some time. Not a major gripe BTW; I was just briefly optimistic, that’s all!

• Alan Gray says:

Likewise, thought Amazon had got it wrong originally and price would have gone down. Did buy it, but have returned it as too bloody expensive for what it is. Sad to say
      Erasure
      and DOA (despite its issues) were much better value for money

5. Carl P says:

That £44 link to HMV is wrong. It comes up at £78 when you click the link.

6. Simon F says:

Nice price drop at HMV on this I see. Now will Universal do the same and sort out new DVD’s and Blu Ray’s for the fxxked up mess that has happened to the otherwise excellent Pink Floyd The Early Years box?

7. Alan Gray says:

Thanks for update
    However HMV selling box set for £79.99

8. Daran says:

@ Simon. What is the issue with the PF box? I’ve not heard anything about that.

9. Trash says:

It is a lovely package although definitely overpriced.
    Aslo annoyed that what is continually listed as a hardback book is actually a soft back book.
    Plus the whole thing is really tight fit in the surrounding box which means I am sure I am going to damage the book at some point when trying to replace it back in the box.

Meanwhile though Paul – thanks for the info.

10. Robert says:

I wish I could just buy the DVD on its own! £11 for 2 disc then almost £80 for 4 does seem slightly OTT

11. LeagueUnlimited says:

I can’t imagine who would buy this. It’s ludicrously over-priced and doesn’t even have the full length or League Unlimited versions of the singles. Yes they were a great singles band but they were the first real 12″ band, that was their thing!! Who would want a short version of ‘Night People’?
    The 3-vinyl version is £20 more expensive than the new Kate Bush 4 vinyl set!!!
    Get Dare and League Unlimited on vinyl. They don’t even need to be remastered. they are perfect and very cheap!!

12. Andrew says:

I managed to bag an order with HMV whilst the item was temporarily listed at £44.

It’s nice, but still feels a touch overpriced in comparison to the Marc Almond and Dead or Alive anthologies for the content provided. Still, I’m grateful to have those rarities on CD3.

13. David McCallum says:

Damn. They are replacing the sheet for a typo? Why not just announce it’s an Easter egg?!

I think if it was just the sheet, then they could have got away with not bothering, but the booklet was affected also.

14. Eamonn says:

What is the quality of the DVD footage and the book like?

15. David says:

It’s a shame,as the listing on the promo disc is correct.Has anyone received their vinyl yet?
    I for one love it,I don’t care about the cost.

16. Shane says:

Ohmygod I was gonna post something mean but the first two posts took my breath away laughing.
    Yeah I mean, are you kidding me? Really? Really? What a shambles! Are record labels only employing people who have no brains? How is it possible that no release these days doesn’t get freaked up in some way?
    The easier it is to produce something perfect, the less people pay attention!
    Why is it that back in the day there were no errors and it was all done by hand?

17. Simon says:

There’s been so many of these “mistakes” recently starting to wonder if they’re deliberate to generate extra publicity for the box set!

18. Mark Phillips says:

“Are record labels only employing people who have no brains?”

It certainly seems so, sometimes. I’ve just had to vent my spleen about a 5CD comp on Amazon called 100 Power Ballads including such gems as Breaking The Law by Judas Priest and Black Betty by Ram Jam.

As for the (admittedly mostly superb) Top of The Pops 3CD reissues, the first set (1964-1969) has not 1 but 3 wrong versions on, including Yeh Yeh by Georgie Fame. In German. I kid you not. Also non-original rerecorded versions of Lulu and even Tom Jones! Another set has a version of Uptown Top Ranking that doesn’t even sound like the same song.

Compiled by the office junior no doubt.

Get Paul on the case – he knows his choons!

• EW99 says:

Could that version of Uptown Top Ranking be the one that was broadcast on Top Of The Pops with backing provided by the Top Of The Pops Orchestra? It certainly sounded nothing like the record with a lamentable attempt at instrumentation by an orchestra who had seemingly never even heard of reggae before. If it is, could you please advise which compilation this was as that version makes me smile every time I hear it and I wouldn’t mind owning a decent copy.

19. gwynogue says:

It’s a pity the ‘wrong-number-printed’ error doesn’t apply to the price tag as well – I want this, but not $AUD120 want…

20. fedge says:

Paul, where is best to order to be assured of getting the version with the fixes already done?

21. Gary Hunter says:

It’s a shame they still haven’t sorted the glitch out on “Open Your” Heart”, every compilation has had the same issue with that track and the “Anthology” collection is no different. Surely in this day and age that is something that can be corrected!?

22. Colin M says:

What glitch is that?

• Gary Hunter says:

The sound drops out a bit on the left channel at the start of the 2nd verse. It has been on that track on every compilation, they have never sorted it.

• negative1 says:

not true. posted on another site:
        ———
        I also have the 2002 remaster and the 2012
        remaster coupled with “Fascination” and both of those reissues sound fine – no glitch.

Also the SACD doesn’t have the issue either.

later

23. Jason says:

Hi, who can I contact about the lack of Empire State Human from Mainstream on the BBC Performances? NOT HAPPY! … The Path Of Least Resistance goes straight to Rock n Roll missing Empire State Human:-(

24. Jason says:

There are also sound glitches on Open Your Heart on TOTP and Don’t You Want Me

25. Jason says:

I received my Box Set of ‘A Very British Synthesizer Group’ and when watching the DVD of BBC Performances I was excited about Empire State Human on ‘Mainstream’ (6/11/79 )but the performance is not on the DVD. It goes from The Path Of Least Resistance 6/11/79 to Rock n Roll on TOTP (8/5/80) who can I contact about the lack of Empire State Human from Mainstream on the BBC Performances? NOT HAPPY! … The DVD performances needs to be done again and sent to us with the correct track listing. Also there are 3 MAJOR sound issues on Open Your Heart TOTP 8/10/81 which are very loud and very annoying,, I just checked the DVD release of The Very Best Of The Human League from 2003 and only one sound glitch on that version compared to the version on the new Box Set BBC Performances DVD. There is also a slight sound issue on Don’t You Want Don’t You Want Me (TOTP 24/12/81) which is not present on The Very Best Of The Human League DVD from 2003. … Also, on the track listing at the Back, it says Don’t You Want Me Baby? Live on TOTP 1981 … There is no Baby? … It is just Don’t You Want Me. Also ‘One Man In My Heart’ on TOTP says 1985, it is 1995. And one last error is All i Ever Wanted (Promo Video) is listed before Filling Up With Heaven when they should be the opposite way around. … Will Empire State Human on Mainstream 6/11/79 on the BBC Performances DVD be featured and re done????? This is obviously not The Human League’s fault but the so called ‘professionals’ that work at record companies but have messed up not only The Human League Box but also the Dead or Alive Box. A knowledge of ‘MUSIC’ should be the no.1 factor for having such privileged jobs when doing re-issues and CD/DVD pressings!
    The booklet however is done to PERFECTION and the demos are simply marvelous, looking forward to receiving my replacement sheet for the outside back of the box and a replacement booklet and it will be perfect minus the 3 very loud sound interruptions on the Open Your Heart TOTP performance and the 1 sound interuption on Don’t You Want Me TOTP performance. I just emailed infoumc@umusic.com with the title ‘THE HUMAN LEAGUE’. Is that all I have to do?

26. Jason says:

I received my Box Set of ‘A Very British Synthesizer Group’ and when watching the DVD of BBC Performances I was excited about Empire State Human on ‘Mainstream’ (6/11/79 ), but the performance is not on the DVD. It goes from The Path Of Least Resistance (6/11/79) to Rock n Roll on TOTP (8/5/80) … Who can I contact about the lack of Empire State Human from Mainstream on the BBC Performances? NOT HAPPY! … The BBC ‘Top Of The Pops’ performance of Open Your Heart (8/10/81) also needs to be re done again from the masters again on the DVD as there are 3 MAJOR sound issues on Open Your Heart TOTP 8/10/81, which are very loud and very annoying, I just checked the DVD release of ‘The Very Best Of The Human League’ from 2003 and only one sound glitch on ‘Open Your Heart’ on TOTP compared to the 3 on this new release. There is also a slight sound issue on Don’t You Want Me on TOTP (24/12/81) which is not present on ‘The Very Best Of The Human League’ DVD from 2003. … Also, on the track listing at the back, it says Don’t You Want Me Baby? … Live on TOTP 1981 … There is no Baby? … It is just Don’t You Want Me. Also ‘One Man In My Heart’ on TOTP says 1985, it is 1995. And one last error is All I Ever Wanted (Promo Video) is listed before Filling Up With Heaven when they should be the opposite way around. … Will Empire State Human on Mainstream 6/11/79 on the BBC Performances DVD be featured and re done????? This is obviously not The Human League’s fault but the so called ‘professionals’ that work at record companies such as ‘Universal’ but have messed up not only The Human League Box but also the Dead or Alive Box. A knowledge of ‘MUSIC’ should be the no.1 factor for having such privileged jobs when doing re-issues and CD/DVD pressings! … The booklet however is done to PERFECTION and the demos are simply marvelous, looking forward to receiving my replacement sheet for the outside back of the box and a replacement booklet and it will be perfect minus the 3 very loud sound interruptions on the Open Your Heart TOTP performance and the 1 sound interruption on Don’t You Want Me TOTP performance. I just emailed infoumc@umusic.com with the title ‘THE HUMAN LEAGUE’. Is that all I have to do?