The Kinks / Mono Collection vinyl box

Sony are to issue The Mono Collection, a 10LP Kinks vinyl box set that packages the band’s first eight albums in mono and comes complete with a ‘bonus’ double LP…

This set includes Live At Kelvin Hall (aka Live Kinks) album and comes with a bonus double LP compilation The Kinks (aka The Black Album) which adds up to ten vinyl records.

In addition The Mono Collection includes a hardcover 48-page book with rare and unseen photos and new interviews with Ray Davies, Dave Davies and Mick Avory.

A similar 10CD The Kinks in Mono was issued back in 2011, although that omitted Live at Kelvin Hall and The Kinks compilation, but added three CDs of EPs and ‘Kollectables’. This set is now commands very high prices on the used market.

This vinyl Mono Collection box set may be similarly desirable in years to come. This is also available via PledgeMusic, although they won’t ship to the US and Amazon UK will. Since this isn’t being released in the US then that’s the best option for American fans.

The Mono Collection is released on 18 November 2016.

The Kinks

3. Starstruck
4. Phenomenal Cat
5. All of My Friends Were There
6. Wicked Annabella
7. Monica
8. People Take Pictures of Each Other

Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)

Side 15
1. Victoria
2. Yes Sir, No Sir
3. Some Mother’s Son
4. Drivin’
5. Brainwashed
6. Australia

Side 16
1. Shangri-La
2. Mr. Churchill Says
3. She’s Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina
4. Young and Innocent Days
5. Nothing to Say
6. Arthur

The Kinks aka ‘The Black Album’

Side 17

4. Do You Remember Walter
5. Dandy
6. Animal Farm
7. Days

26 responses to The Kinks / Mono Collection vinyl box

1. BRENEZ Alain says:

Much cheaper if you order on Pledge.

2. Michael says:

Oh my wallet! How can one keep up with this! Still debating between the wonderful Queen vinyl box set from 2015 and The Beatles in Stereo vinyl from 2012.

• The stereo box set sound is mediocre. It was all sourced from high rez digital transfers that were then downrezzed to 48K/16 bit and dynamically compressed and “fixed”. Geoff Emerick who engineered “Abbey Road” was appalled by the sound. You are much better off with the mono box set, which was mastered from the original analog tapes, no digital, and respected the sound of the original records but actually improved upon them. Plus the packaging is better.

• Michael says:

Hello Michael. Thank you for the heads up regarding the Beatles stereo box. I purchased the mono LP’s and booklet individually a while ago. Wonderful job they did with those! My goal is/was more for completion purposes and to compare the mono and stereo vinyl. But I’m certainly taking your message into consideration.

3. Richie says:

This box is £144 inc. P&P on Pledge, get in if you want this because it is a limited box set. I missed out on the CD box and it now fetches 5/6 times the original cost.

Oops, sorry Paul you ‘ve given out most of this info above.

Good price on Pledge, although with Amazon it could drop again (it’s already £100 cheaper than last week). And Pledge not an option for US, as I’ve pointed out.

4. Jack says:

Much cheaper at Amazon Japan

5. Did they just take the CDs and cut lacquers here? That would make this box set useless. At least the recent Sanctuary Kinks LPs were cut by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes. Those are definitely worth buying. Buying LP box sets without knowing, who cut lacquers, from what sources and where they were pressed is throwing away money.

• Eric W says:

Great advice. the landslide of box sets without proper provenance is becoming an epidemic.

• Andres says:

Someone at SHF made an inquiry and apparently all albums except the ‘Black Album’ are going to be sourced and cut from the original master tapes. Everything AAA they said.

• Nemo says:

Over the past two years all these were already released in the UK but from digital sources HOWEVER the first 4 were cut all AAA by Kevin, for the USA only. And they only did the first four so far.

Andrew Sandoval says this on 9/30 : All of the original albums in The Kinks in Mono vinyl LP box set were cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Mastering, supervised by Andrew Sandoval, direct from the original UK Pye NPL analog mono masters. Only analog EQ was used in the process. The 1970 compilation album, The Kinks (Black Album), was recompiled from flat digital transfers of original analog masters, and was cut to match the original LP. First UK Pye pressings of all of the albums were used in comparison to tapes to insure period accuracy with level, track spacing and artwork.

– Andrew Sandoval (Box Set compiler)

• Well then why doesn’t Andrew insist this information be provided with all promo blurbs? It is absurd to ask people to invest this kind of money on a question mark! EVERY vinyl reissue should provide:

1) SOURCE
        2) WHO MASTERED
        3) WHERE PRESSED

Consumers should refuse to buy any expensive deluxe package without this information.

6. eric slangen says:

Much cheaper at amazon.japan??
    They charge 180 euro without postage.
    Pledge the same WITH postage.

7. Jack says:

Amazon Japan charges $183.10 shipped to me in the USA.

8. Mark says:

Out of stock at Amazon Japan. Foiled again.

9. Mark says:

My error (first use of There are two listings for the product.

Jack, is this the best option, in your experience, or should I consider waiting until it’s available on this side of the pond?

10. Jack says:

I’d reserve it now. Can always cancel later.

11. Simon F says:

I bought the mono CD set from HMV back when it was first released in November 2011. £66 I think was the price. I have never known a box set move so fast; by the following February it had completely sold out everywhere and prices were beginning to rise. Just checked up on Amazon and was staggered to see how much it’s going for now. No, I am not going to sell mine. Just proves that there is still a lot of love for the Kinks out there. My advice to anyone would be don’t think about this box set, just buy it – worry about paying for it later, because I feel it will very quickly disappear just like it’s CD counterpart.

• Julian Hancock says:

If you look on Discogs the mono box set is about £120 cheaper than the one on Amazon. It is also worth noting that that although there are half a dozen on offer, the last copy sold was in March this year. The moral of this story is to look at what prices are paid, not the prices asked.

12. Tarek Sobh says:

I’m so excited for this! The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society on MONO vinyl! I just pre-ordered it from Amazon… Thank you Paul <3

13. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 1 October 2016 | superdeluxeedition

14. Jack says:

It IS being released in the USA in December. It is up at and

What you mean is it’s NOW available in the US. That’s only happened in the last few days. This post was written on 28 September and was factually correct at the time. Kinks are Sony Ex-North America and BMG in US and Canada.