The Man Who Fell To Earth / four-disc limited collector’s edition blu-ray

Four-disc collector’s edition includes CD

Studiocanal will later this year reissue Nicholas Roeg‘s 1976 film The Man Who Fell To Earth, in a special collector’s edition that features a 40th anniversary 4K restoration and other collectible content.

Thomas Jerome Newton is arguably David Bowie‘s most memorable film role and the impact was such that images and iconography of the movie bled into Bowie’s musical world, with the two albums that followed (Station to Station and Low) both utilising stills from the film shoot on their front covers.

This restoration of The Man Who Fell to Earth is based on a 4K scan of the original camera negative, followed by a full 4K workflow, with the approval of cinematographer Anthony Richmond. There will be a standard blu-ray version of this film reissue, but it’s the limited collector’s edition that is of real interest, since it has four discs and comes with other content.

manwhofell

Despite the image above showing four blu-rays, StudioCanal have confirmed to SDE that this set contains a blu-ray, two DVDs and a CD. The CD element contains just John Philips music from the soundtrack and has two tracks/versions of tracks not included in the version being issued separately. More on that here.

This collector’s edition will also contain an illustrated booklet with writings on the film, a repro of the original press book for the film, four art cards and an A4 poster of the new theatrical quad for this new 4K restoration of the film (main image at the top).

Also in this set (but not exclusive to the collector’s edition) are new interviews with costume designer May Routh, stills photographer David James and producer Michael Deeley and a new “The Lost Soundtracks” featurette. Other interviews and featurettes are also included.

Considering what you get (blu-ray, DVD, poster, CDs, facsimile bits and bobs), £20 for the collector’s set doesn’t seem bad at all. It might well go up in price between now and 24 October 2016, when this is released.

The Man Who Fell To Earth (40th Anniversary), Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [2016]

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

frontflat

Disc 1 > Blu-ray (region B locked)

• • Feature & extras (as per DVD 2)

Disc 2 > DVD 1 (region 2 locked)

• Feature only

Disc 3 > DVD 2 (region 2 locked)

Extras:

• • New interview with costume designer May Routh featuring original costume sketches
  • • New interview with stills photographer David James featuring behind the scenes stills
  • • New interview with fan Sam Taylor-Johnson
  • • New interview with producer Michael Deeley
  • • New “The Lost Soundtracks” featurette, featuring interviews with Paul Buckmaster and author Chris Campion
  • • Interview with Candy Clark
  • • Interview with writer Paul Mayersberg
  • • Interview with cinematographer Tony Richmond
  • • Interview with Nic Roeg
  • • Extract from David Bowie
  • • Trailer
  • • Watching the Alien featurette

Disc 4 > CD

• • John Philips’ soundtrack music. Track listing as follows:

1 Jazz II (02:48)
2 Boys From The South (01:45)
3 Rhumba Boogie (02:01)
4 America (01:00)
5 Jazz (00:59)
6 Space Capsule (01:49)
7 Bluegrass Breakdown (01:38)
8 Desert Shack (02:02)
9 Window (01:45)
10 Alberto (01:38)
11 Liar, Liar (03:04)
12 Hello Mary Lou 02:25*
13 The Man Who Fell To Earth 02:42
14 Bryce*

*unique versions/tracks not on the soon-to-be-issued soundtrack

Physical items in the box

• • Illustrated Booklet with writings on the film
  • • 4 exclusive artcards
  • • Original press book for the film
  • • A4 poster of new theatrical quad for the 4K restoration of the film

91 responses to The Man Who Fell To Earth / four-disc limited collector’s edition blu-ray

1. Alan Wilson says:

This seems to be the standard price on this one, Zavvi are also selling for £19.99

2. richie says:

£20? A no-brainer even though I already own it on Blu-ray, the charity shop can benefit.

3. gogandmagog says:

It seems to be region locked???
    Could you check that?

At the moment we have to assume region B. Will try to find out more though..

• Steven says:

I haven’t ever heard of region locking on blu-rays…

Fairly standard actually, with regions A,B,C etc rather than 1,2,3. I think where they have worldwide rights, some companies, such as Warners, don’t bother ‘locking’ but that’s not necessarily the norm.

4. Brian says:

Twenty of your earth pounds is pretty good value for this content. I’d expect it to be at least twice that. Does this contain a standard blu Ray or does that have to be bought as a stand alone?

5. tonysp says:

Thanks, just bought this 4 disk set.

A complete no brainer when you see the standalone 1 disk blu-ray on sale for £16.

6. AlexKx says:

No U.S. release?!

US and rest of the world have always seemed to do their own thing with TMWFTE.

• MM says:

You might get one. Criterion released it, but StudioCanal reclaimed the rights, so might put it out there as well. Be weird not to, given they spent money on a remaster etc.
      Not sure on the music rights though?

• Billy Dojcak says:

The Criterion version is great. Why are they bothering with dvds? Haven’t most people evolved past the dvd? And some bluray players can be made region free? And since they went the 4k route they should have included an Ultra HD disc.

7. HiDefBear says:

Ugh. And not even a hint that a proper 4K UHD release is being planned???

8. Trash says:

Excellent movie (even without the Bowie connection) based on an even-better book.

Lost soundtracks indeed… hmmm….

• Emsquared says:

Hmm indeed..”The lost soundtracks” does intrigue. Do we mean the lost Bowie soundtrack?
      Going to see the 4K restoration at the BFI in September. Has this got the commentary that used to be on the old Criterion Laserdisc & later DVD which included Bowie?

Don’t think it does have the commentary (annoyingly) – certainly not expecting a lost Bowie soundtrack on the CD (not sure if such a thing even exists) but a CD suggests music of some description!!

• Trash says:

Well (as I mentioned on another thread) according to the Bowie Strange Fascination book. Paul Buckmaster (who worked with Bowie on the soundtrack) does have a DAT of the work they submitted to Roeg for his approval so (in theory) something does exist in some form or other.

9. fredpostman says:

Thanks for the info Paul;a film i never tire of watching since it’s release in 1976.As a 14 year old at school i won 2 tickers in a newspaper competition to the world premier in London [though as a fresh faced lad i never went to the x rated film showing].I did see the film a few months later [my first ‘x’]and can remember how cool Mr Bowie looked,though only years later can i appreciate the [sometimes unpreventable] film.

Wow.. pity you never got to go to the premiere, that would have been amazing. I have always loved this, not just because of Bowie, but because Nic Roeg just made mesmerising films – Performance, Walkabout, Don’t Look Now, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Bad Timing, Eureka, Insignificance… amazing body of work.

• Trash says:

Agreed although never quite taken to Insignificance.
        Recently rewatched Walkabout – fantastic!

The Man Who Fell is probably my favourite closely followed by Performance.

Paul, ever listened to E=MC2 by Big Audio Dynamite ;-)

10. Celtic Bob says:

Looks like an automatic purchase for me (If playable in Canada) as the Criterion version is OOP and copies floating around are insanely priced.

11. Zongadude says:

Ok, so “this restoration of The Man Who Fell to Earth is based on a 4K scan of the original camera negative, followed by a full 4K workflow”, and in the 4-disc Deluxe edition there is no 4k UHD disc ? Only 2K Bluray and SD dvds ?
    They must be joking, right ?

• MM says:

12. Brian says:

Wouldn’t the Cracked Actor documentary be a fantastic extra given that Roeg cast Bowie off the back of watching it? Unlikely I guess.

13. Daniel Wylie says:

It looks like the original soundtrack is being released as a stand alone cd. This will include songs from the film like Try To Remember by the Kingston Trio, most likely plus incidental music by Stomu Yamashta.

14. Trev says:

Many thanks for that Paul just ordered. Superb Value.

15. Eamonn says:

Would the music Bowie wrote for this be more likely to appear in a Low super-deluxe edition or any unreleased Bowie anthology once the Five Years/Who Can I Be Now?/ career-wide reissue boxes are done with?

• lee says:

It’s an interesting question, and hopefully the documentaries on here take us one step closer to finding out.

I’m in the camp that says a lot of what he wrote for the soundtrack actually was Low and some of “heroes”, but I fear the generally accepted accounts (“what he produced was so awful they got binned”) are the most likely case.

Still, for sheer curiosity, hopefully one day we get confirmation of what it was, if not hear it

16. Straker says:

So this is absent the Rip Torn interview, Bowie/Roeg/Henry commentary track, a few audio interviews and the stills and poster galleries from the Criterion disc. They have licensed out some extras in the past from other releases but I guess they weren’t willing to do so for this.

The art cards, repro press-book and poster are just fluff and it would’ve been nice to have the production costs of these put towards something more substantial instead but at £20 it’s quite cheap from Studio Canal who usually gouge a £15 RRP for single bare-bones discs so I’m tempted to say this is a mis-price.

The Bowie commentary is an very unfortunate loss but you can see why Criterion would want to keep hold of this for any future re-release.

• MM says:

StudioCanal did reclaim their rights to a lot of Criterion discs, so I doubt there’s much love lost between them. Don’t expect to see Criterion’s features on SC releases that often.

17. Malcolm says:

This release will be RB locked so only playable in Europe and Australasia, as per usual Studio Canal policy. Also the DVDs will be R2 PAL so only playable in Europe.

The bluray website DigitalBits has confirmed that Lionsgate own North American rights and they said to them that this new 4K Studio Canal funded restoration will be released by them at a future date to be confirmed. However that may only be the bluray of the film, no guarantee they will do a deluxe boxset with CD and other stuff.

18. Malcolm says:

@Straker the £20 at Amazon for the LE boxset is consistent with the only other title in their Vintage Classics range they have given this type of deluxe boxset treatment to.
    That was The Third Man which was a £17.99 pre-order for the boxset at Amazon, but has since risen to £23.99

I agree Studio Canal massively over charge on their Vintage Classics range as these are normally around £15 to pre-order (or in case of TMWFTE £16) for a single bluray release, and then rise post release. It normally takes well over a year for a meaningful price drop.

Amazon is a good price for this boxset at £20.00, although it’s marginally cheaper at Zavvi they have appalling customer service if something goes wrong, whilst HMV want £24.99

19. Jim McManus says:

I hope they are releasing the unedited version that was released, rather than the original release.

20. Dave H says:

There’s a 4k ultra hd release of Labyrinth with blu-ray due in September.

It seems odd not to release TMWFTE on the 4k format.

21. Malcolm says:

@Dave, Studio Canal don’t yet release UHD 4K BDs hence why TMWFTE is not available in that format.

As I posted earlier Lionsgate have US rights and they have aleady released a few UHD BDs so may do for this.

Labyrinth is Sony who are one of the early adopting studios for UHD BD.

22. Pete Muscutt says:

Great film, even if I found it a tad depressing on first watch!! Great performance from Bowie, the first acting role I saw him in – it made more sense than his ‘Twin Peaks’ appearance anyway!! I love a good Bluray set that gets the respect it deserves.

23. Aaron says:

amazon now have 30th anniversary edition of Labyrinth and and new Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence DVD coming soon also listed.

24. Aaron says:

…oh and an Absolute Beginners 30th anniversary set

25. R.naud says:

I actually wish they had added to the new 4-disc pack the original (shorter) version of the film which is much more concise. The unedited long version which seems to have been the only available version for a very long time makes for very long-winded boring scenes and includes totally gratuitous shots of Bowie’s nudity which doesn’t add anything to the film. I find the long version makes the whole thing rather tepid.

26. gwynogue says:

Like others have said, this is a no-brainer. Even though I picked this up on cheap blu-ray only six months ago, 4 discs and bonus goodies for only $40-$50AUD is just too damn good to pass up!

All I have to do now is actually get a blu-ray PLAYER, lol.

27. John Norris says:

Hi Paul, there was an article in last month’s HiFi Choice magazine, probably still available as an e-mag, which had an article about the OST for the film that was supposed to have come out… you should find some background information there about the CD content.

Apparently when the 1963 book was re released to tie in with the movie release in 1976 there back of it said ‘music by David Bowie, album available on RCA’ but it never appeared. The next release was Low and he was quoted as saying: “that is what I wanted to do for the soundtrack, it would have been a wonderful score”.

Time pressures took over so John Phillips was brought in to do the music.

28. John Norris says:

By the way, re above, it is issue 413 of HiFi Choice.

29. Paul Murphy says:

Just to get in first, my bet for the title of the 2017 Bowie Box Set is ‘A New Career In A New Town’.
    NB, hat-eating in case of error not included in offer.

30. Zongadude says:

MM said:
    “Not really. 4K is still an expensive medium to mass-produce, and is brand new to the market. So no-one is going to be putting out niche movies like this on it for a little while.”

I see your point. Yet they went through the whole process of making a 4K Master “with a complete 4K workflow” for this niche movie. Which is the most expensive part of the process. So what’s the point ? They’re not selling an UHD version of the film, and they’re putting out a major Deluxe edition. I don’t see a new edition coming out in the near future. If no UHD version is made available now, it’ll never happened.

(Or maybe there’s a standalone UHD version coming in parallel with this, wich will be announced soon.)

I think the point is that this company haven’t released any 4K UHD product yet, presumably because they think the marketplace isn’t mature enough yet. However, if you are going to go to the trouble to restore a film, then it makes sense to ‘future proof’ by doing the whole 4K workflow thing. So the new blu-ray set will look as good as it can possibly look and they have a 4K version ready when they need it for UHD. Let’s not forget these are businesses that have to think carefully about what projects will work financially at this moment in time.

31. Ron de Joode says:

Every week a ‘new’ Bowie release? Why? Why?

32. Simon F says:

What the bloody hell is 4K anyway? Just another way to screw money out of gullible hi-fi snobs? I’m getting really sick and tired of this endless “remastered in 3D, CD, HI-FI,LO-FI 3K 4K 5.1, 6.1 HDTV CCTV BBC ITV blah blah blah zzzzzzzz……………….”

Maybe, but give me a crisp wide-screen Blu-ray over a 1980s pan-and-scan VHS any day. Progress may have cynical roots sometimes (sell the same product again) but it can benefit everyone.

• Brian says:

“I’ve got a 4AD 3D CD….”

Apologies to Half Man Half Biscuit.

33. nite says:

Without the commentary and a UHD 4K BD I think I will wait and see what comes out via Lionsgate. I can’t watch DVD’s anymore (they look terrible on a large screen TV) and the art cards and A4 poster are just a waste of paper. I don’t want to have to double dip a few months later.

34. gwynogue says:

I do like the progress of technology, and being a perfectionist means I always want the MOST BESTEST version. But I get frustrated by all the faffing about it involves! When I bought my very first VCR many moons ago, I just plugged one cord into the powerpoint, then plugged the other cord into the TV. Bing bang boom, all done in a minute (bar the tuning in, but with only 5 channels back then, that was pretty quick too)! Now I have to do DAYS of research just to pick a set of speakers! Then spend HOURS connecting and configuring everything. Then I have to buy a set of headphones so I can watch/listen without disturbing others. Have you bought a pair of headphones recently? MY GOD it’s so complicated! So many variations of the same basic item, all saturated with tech-speak that means absolutely nothing to me.

And not to mention the irritation about having to buy CDs or DVDs that I already have. It’s reaching a point where I am reluctant to buy anything just in case I have to re-buy it in the future. I simply can’t afford to keep doing that. It’s annoying enough that I feel the need to make the extra effort (and extra expense) to buy the Japanese editions of CDs, just because I want the extra track that isn’t available anywhere else. And then missing out on the iTunes/digital-only tracks.

*sigh* I’m just a grumpy old bugger, ain’t I?

35. Trash says:

Wow my earlier comment still awaiting moderation – I didn’t think I had said anything contentious :-(

36. Shaun Harris says:

I think this will be a 1 BR,1 DVD and 2 CDs

37. Andrea says:

I must admit I’m a bit confused here… The deluxe box has 1 CD, the standalone audio has 2. So is there some content which is exclusive to the 2CD edition? And what’s in it, anyway, beside John Phillips’ soundtrack?… I see the box set has 2 Dvd, what exactly is on the Dvds and what’s on the BR?…

I guess it could be blu-ray, one DVD and two CDs… will try and get clarified tomorrow, if I can…

38. Mark says:

Absolutely ordering this.

39. Mark says:

The 2 CD version might include the Stomu Yamashta tracks as well; I doubt the unreleased Bowie will appear (maybe 1 or 2 tracks at most for a taster). They will save Bowie’s work for the Berlin box which will no doubt appear soon. (logically)

40. Jeff Rougvie says:

Criterion have announced a new version in the US but no further details. I would expect all the prior extras to carry over as they are Criterions proprietary materials, but assume new extras too.

41. rob says:

How strange, I was only wondering today (prompted by something that I was reading) if there was any material in the vaults from the film that could be picked up for whatever extras the Berlin-era box-set contains next year (a-la the next one’s Gouster), and then I see this post…

I do seem to recall reading in the dim and distant past that somebody had hung on to what had been put together for the film, so let’s hope so.

42. Kevin Allen says:

The BFI are screening the 4K restoration of The Man Who Fell To Earth from 9 September.

43. Neil says:

Strange i was just looking at the picture on amazon of the discs and all 4 discs have the Blu-ray logo on them and DTS Master logo on them as well no sign of any CD’s or DVD’s included.

44. Julian says:

Thanks – looking fwd to this … The Wiki entry gives info on music https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Fell_to_Earth

Music as listed on end credits

Composed and recorded by Stomu Yamashta:

“Poker Dice” (from Floating Music)
    “33⅓” (from Raindog)
    “Mandala” (from Soundtrack from Man from the East)
    “Wind Words” (from Freedom is Frightening)
    “One Way” (from Floating Music)
    “Memory of Hiroshima” (from Soundtrack from Man from the East)
    Performed by John Phillips:

“Boys from the South”
    “Rhumba Boogie”
    “Bluegrass Breakdown”
    “Hello Mary-Lou” (featuring Mick Taylor)
    Other music:

“Blueberry Hill” – Louis Armstrong
    “Enfantillages Pittoresques” – Frank Glazer
    “A Fool Such As I” – Jim Reeves
    “Make the World Go Away” – Jim Reeves
    “Try to Remember” – The Kingston Trio
    “Blue Bayou” – Roy Orbison
    “Silent Night” – Robert Farnon
    “Any Major Dude Will Tell You” – Steely Dan
    “Shades of Scarlett Conquering” – Joni Mitchell
    “True Love” – Bing Crosby
    “Love Is Coming Back” – Genevieve Waite
    “Stardust” – Artie Shaw
    “Planets Suite, Op. 32: Mars, Bringer of War & Venus, Bringer of Peace”
    composed by Gustav Holst and performed by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra

45. Pingback:David Bowie / The Man Who Fell To Earth: 2CD+2LP deluxe box set | superdeluxeedition

46. Mark Allen says:

Shame there isn’t a Blu-Ray II true-4K release, this would really do the 4K restoration proper justice, and something to play on my new X-Box One S :-)

47. xrey says:

Re: the mystery bonus CD by John Phillips

This isn’t the late John Phillips of The Mama’s & The Papa’s fame is it? This project seems a bit out of character, even for him, though many of the songs listed in the end credits above fit into his general musical era. I wasn’t aware of him having a “Bowie connection”.

48. Ian Conway says:

I’ll stick with my Criterion release which includes the commentary by David Bowie. Seems a bit of a glaring omission from StudioCanal’s otherwise comprehensive programme of extras, but it’s surely the cherry on the cake, so it’s curious that they coudn’t go the extra mile in terms of whatever licensing was required.

• Ken says:

Yes, I have to agree. This is a great deal but I’d much rather wait and see what we get in North America.

49. Derek Cornish says:

Damn……no US release

50. Daniel Wylie says:

The CD, despite having Bowie plastered all over it, contains no Bowie music.

51. Kevin Allen says:

REMINDER: The Man Who Fell To Earth 4K is showing at the BFI (and other cinemas) from Friday.

52. BearUK says:

Reading back through the comments…

blu ray region locking, although not widespread, is fairly common. I was in California when I bought into blu ray, so my player and TV are Region A/NTSC. BBC region free titles are useless, they are 50Hz and Region A players don’t like that (I’m sure someone here can explain that better than I did). I always tread carefully when buying new blu rays in the UK, London Has Fallen for example was region locked despite being a worldwide release.

As for The Man Who Fell To Earth and Region A/US availability, I haven’t seen anything in the US yet (apart from the old Criterion), but Amazon Canada has a similar limited edition version. Blu ray and CD with art cards released November 1, 40th Anniversary; doesn’t mention a 4k remaster but the image shows the studio canal logo. No ratings logos which to me is always a bonus! (as I find them really ugly)

53. Gary says:

Has this been pulled? As my order now says “currently unavailable ” the normal blu ray still has a date but can’t find this.

P.s this is on Amazon

54. Lee says:

This is showing up as unavailable at Amazon UK already, with the worrying “we don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock”. Does anyone have any more info? Is it out of print already, or is this purely an Amazon stock problem?

55. The 4th Doctor says:

I live in the U.S. and was hoping for this 4-Disc Collectors Set to be released here as well, but it won’t be. I wrote StudioCanal, and asked them -“WHY?”

They were kind enough to write me back, and explain that

QUOTE:

“Hi ****,
    I’m afraid that Lionsgate have the rights for The Man Who Fell to Earth in the US, so they would be able to answer your question.

Best wishes,

Studiocanal”

So, I wrote Lionsgate, and asked them about their plans for any future releases of the
    ‘The Man Who Fell To Earth’, and they never bothered to answer.

Now, I did also happen upon another forum discussing this release, where it was noted by one member that AMAZON CANADA was offering the same set as above in Region A – minus the two additional DVD’s. So in the U.S. you can order from AMAZON CANADA, and buy the same set – with all the cards, poster, etc; Only NO DVD’s.

I’m not sure what to do really? Order it, or not?

I don’t know if the AMAZON CANADA version will be worth the time, and expense?

If it’s the same quality as the STUDIOCANAL 4-DISC version?

Here’s the link for the AMAZON CANADA site:

I did also notice recently that the BEST BUY chain here in the U.S. has a page listed for the upcoming release as well, but only as a single disc BluRay, for $14.99.

Here’s the link for the BEST BUY site:

I wrote BEST BUY, and inquired about that 4-Disc Collectors Edition, and got a reply

QUOTE:

“Hi ****,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy.

The Man Who Fell to Earth Collector’s edition is not available, I suggest you periodically check our website at http://www.bestbuy.com or go to any of our retail stores to check on the item’s availability.

We appreciate you doing business with us. For any other concerns, you may visit our Help Center at http://www.bestbuy.com.”

So, there’s some info from me here stateside for those in the U.S. seeking answers…

CHEERS! DOC ; )-

56. Joe says:

The “Extract from David Bowie” sounds interesting. I wonder which part of him we get.

57. The 4th Doctor says:

Well, apparently the 2-Disc STUDIO CANAL BOXSET that’s now available on the AMAZON CANADA site in REGION A for Canada, and the U.S. – isn’t actually available for shipping to the U.S.!!!

I tried to order it, as I live in the U.S., and was told I couldn’t.

Many THX to AMAZON. I think NOT.

Would be very nice if someone here had a helpful hint at just where online I could order that 2-Disc REGION A Boxset, so I could get it shipped to the U.S.

DOC