The Moody Blues / In Search of the Lost Chord / five-disc deluxe box set

3CD+2DVD • 5.1 mix • new stereo mix • TV appearances

The Moody Blues‘ third album, In Search of the Lost Chord will be reissued as a five-disc, 50th anniversary box set in November.

This set features three CDs and two DVDs. The CDs include both the original stereo mix and a new stereo mix, along with mono ‘A’ and ‘B’ sides of the original Deram-era singles, BBC radio sessions, alternate mixes and other bonus tracks (including a never-before-heard mono version of ‘Legend Of A Mind’).

Of the two DVDs, the first has a 5.1 surround mix of the album as well as the new stereo mix and the re-master of the original stereo mix. The second DVD concentrates on visuals with the BBC’s ‘Colour Me Pop’ special from 1968 and the previously unreleased French TV’s ‘Ce Soir On Danse’.

This In Search of the Lost Chord box set includes a 76-page book with photos and a new essay. It is released on 2 November 2018, along with a vinyl version of the original stereo mix.

Moody Blues

7 Voices in the Sky – The original stereo mix
8 The Best Way to Travel – The original stereo mix
9 Visions of Paradise – The original stereo mix
10 The Actor – The original stereo mix
11 The Word – The original stereo mix
12 Om – The original stereo mix
13 Voices in the Sky (mono)
14 Dr. Livingstone, I Presume (mono)
15 Ride My See Saw (mono) – Previously unreleased on CD

7 Voices in the Sky – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:
8 The Best Way to Travel – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:
9 Visions of Paradise – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:
10 The Actor – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:
11 The Word – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:
12 Om – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:
13 A Simple Game (Justin Hayward Vocal Mix / Remastered 2018)

Disc 3 (CD)

1 Dr. Livingstone, I Presume (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)
2 Voices in the Sky (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)
3 The Best Way to Travel (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)
4 Ride My See-Saw (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)
5 Tuesday Afternoon (BBC Radio One John Peel “Top Gear” session – 16th July 1968)
6 Departure (alternate mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
7 The Best way to Travel (additional vocal mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
8 Legend of a Mind (alternate mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
9 Visions of Paradise (instrumental mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
10 The Word (Mellotron mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
11 Om (extended mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
12 King and Queen – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
13 Gimmie a Little Something – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
14 What Am I Doing Here? (full version) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968
15 A Simple Game (Justin Hayward vocal version) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

Disc 4 (DVD) “In Search of the Lost Chord” 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1 Surround, new Stereo mix and re-mastered original stereo mix”

1 Departure –
2 Ride My See-Saw
3 Dr. Livingstone, I Presume
4 House of Four Doors
5 Legend of a Mind
6 House of Four Doors (Part 2)
7 Voices in the Sky
8 The Best Way to Travel
9 Visions of Paradise
10 The Actor
11 The Word
12 Om

Disc 5 (DVD)

1 Departure / Ride My See-Saw – Visual content
2 Dr. Livingstone I Presume – Visual content
3 House of Four Doors – Visual content
4 Voices in the Sky – Visual content
5 The Best Way to Travel – Visual content
6 Visions of Paradise / The Actor – Visual content
7 Om – Visual content
8 Tuesday Afternoon – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
9 Nights in White Satin – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
10 Bye Bye Bird – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
11 Fly Me High – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
12 I’ve Got a Dream – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
13 A Beautiful Dream – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
14 Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
15 Peak Hour – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
16 Dr. Livingstone, I Presume – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968
17 Ride My See Saw – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

35 responses to The Moody Blues / In Search of the Lost Chord / five-disc deluxe box set

1. Steven from Kaskeland says:

This has now come down to $50.89 on Amazon.com, down from $59.98.

2. Michel Kempes says:

Why was the 5.1 mix never part of the timeless flight boxset…?

3. Jaap says:

The picture on Amazon shows a DVD Audio logo on the 5.1 disc (as opposed to the DVD Video logo on the other DVD).

4. Chris Wilson says:

Fantastic. This was the first album I ever bought and was disappointed when the SACD issued a few years ago was only stereo. It looks like November is going to be a seriously expensive month with this and SDEs of Imagine and The White Album.

5. BobG says:

Looks like this set’s CD3 is the same as CD2 from the 2006 Deluxe Edition – just in a different order. Same 15 tracks.

CD1 from this set is same as CD1 from 2006 Deluxe Edition except for the last 5 songs which are added here.

• Gerbrand says:

Correct, most is the same as the 2006 DeLuxe with the BBC recording of Tuesday Afternoon mis-dated here (it’s actually from Afternoon Pop Show 7-10-1968). Only 1 track not on the 2006 DeLuxe, being Gimme A Little Somethin’, which is previously released on Caught Live + 5.

Mystified by A Simple Game (Justin Hayward vocal version) which is included twice. And also by the text “Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968” which means áfter the release of the album. Maybe a Moody Blues fan can explain that.

6. Brian says:

Thanks for covering this. Have a special place in my heart for the Moody Blues.. and this was an insta- preorder. Also went to sound of Vinyl and ordered the ‘psychodelic’ colored vinyl.

While I am a MAJOR collector of all things tears for fears.. I am a spot collector of other bands, for items I like.. and SDE editions are in those. Be in REM, Moody Blues, Howard Jones, A-HA, Peter Gabriel, (and even a metallica one).

7. Ron van Rossum says:

Why not release the mono version of this fantastic album??
    Why not release ALL the mono albums the Moody Blues??

• J. Wayne Fluke says:

I am so glad I have a British Mono vinyl LP of this. If they did not issue this in Mono now, it probably will never happen. We’ll see. I am happy about the box set regardless. Can’t wait to hear it. Christmas 2018 is certainly going to put a few of us in debt for a very long time to come.

8. Isaías says:

I’m a die hard fan of The Moody Blues. This box really caught me by surprise, I wasn’t aware about enough material to make 3 CDs. I’m looking forward to Universal gives the same treatment to the whole Moody Blues back catalogue including the Polydor years.

9. Joe Mac Pherson says:

Well, I can see where my finances are heading: The Chic deluxe box set, The Beatles White Album, total deluxe box set, The Moody Blues box set… And it’s not even October yet. I’m still waiting, and waiting!, for a release called, The Dave Clark Five In Mono- every album, every non-LP single and b-side. Will this ever happen? And, a super deluxe box set for the complete works of The Dream Academy. Who knows what October, November, December will bring? I’m ready! Thank you for posting The Moody Blues news!

10. Keith says:

Wow November is starting to look expensive another must have box set and my wife’s birthday help me please

Interested to hear the surround mix is it really 96/24 5.1 that would have to be MLP so proper DVDA ?
    My guess DTS and just plain DVD.
    Wonder what JJ has done with this as his mixes vary from wildly from stunning Thrak, O5Ric to poor ELP and sometimes both on the same release.

• Mathew Lauren says:

Yeah. Any insight? Is this a 24/96 “mastered” 5.1 Audio DVD-V or (proper) hirez DVD-A? My guess is the former…

Thanks in advance.

It won’t be a DVD-A… or at least I’d be extremely surprised if it was. Universal would be more likely to go for blu-ray audio for lossless 5.1

11. Francois says:

This is yet another one I must have.. Downside is, a lot of these boxset are not available yet in France on the usual websites, and my local record shop “specializes” in mainstream edition of kinds of music I am not into (to say the least)..
    I could get them from burninshed but the p&p to France is just too dear (I could buy another boxset with the kind of money they charge)..

12. Christopher says:

Any idea as to whether the DVDs are region coded?

• Phil Cohen says:

No region coding. The set has been manufactured centrally in the EU for the entire world. The same as with the “Days of Future Passed” 2-CD + DVD set.

• Tod H. says:

I’m wondering the same, especially if the price ends up being the lowest from Europe (I’m located in the U.S.).

13. Andrew Knowles says:

Don’t forget there is a limited edition coloured psych LP available to!

14. Ken A says:

Paul, will this new stereo mix have those awful crossfades? Too bad they didn’t dig up anymore unreleased material for this.

15. Robert says:

Good to see a 5.1 mix for this. Anyone who has the SACD hybrid releases of the other ‘essential seven’ already knows that they’re magnificent – among my favourite surround mixes. I always understood that they lacked the multi-track masters or ’70s quad mix for ‘In Search of The Lost Chord’ and so could not release a surround mix for the SACD run at the time. That was disappointing because, although my personal favourite from the seven was ‘To Our Children’s Children’s Children’, ‘In Search…’ was a close runner up. This looks to be a beautiful release. I’ll pass on the vinyl though, as I have pristine Japanese vinyl versions of everything through ‘Octave’, as well as an original mint late ’60s pressing of ‘Days of Future Past’ in tip on sleeve (used vinyl hunting was much more rewarding, and considerably less expensive, before it became all the rage). I really can’t imagine anything new sounding better than these do…

16. Karl probst says:

Decent content for a good price l thinks .

17. Mark Penny says:

Is Wilson the one who did the new mixes? Didn’t he hint that he was working on Moodies material a few years ago?

18. Tim says:

Edit: Just noticed they play two ISOTLC tracks at the end – doh! But still a strange set …

19. Tim says:

Is that “Colour Me Pop” broadcast really from 1968? There’s not a track from the album they were supposed to be promoting, and all the other tracks (including one unreleased song – yay!)would suggest it even pre-dated “Days Of Future Passed” They surely weren’t still playing the likes of “Bye Bye Bird” with two albums of their own material to focus on …

20. David B says:

Thanks for the info Paul . .I’m just wondering though about the 5.1 mix .. in the last re-issue of this disc (2006-SACD Deluxe edition) the booklet gave a credit to the guys who manipulated (their words not mine ..) the 5.1 mix from the original quad masters .. yet the SACD only contained a stereo version .. it seems that the orig quad masters couldn’t be found for this disc .. So did they finally find the orig quad master, or is it a new 5.1 surround mix for the 50th anniversary issue ??

• Phil Abbott says:

The original masters were thought to be lost so no 5.1 mix was done for the 2006 edition and no quad mix existed for this album. The masters were found in the interim so its a new 5.1 mix.

21. Pete Bowman says:

The online ‘The Sound of Vinyl’ site is also offering an exclusive psychedelic ‘splat’ coloured vinyl version (original stereo mix only).