The Rolling Stones announce Sticky Fingers reissue and box sets

The Rolling Stones announce Sticky Fingers reissue and box sets

Super deluxe box will feature 3CD+DVD, a 7-inch single and 120-page book with zip!

The Rolling Stones will reissue their classic 1971 album Sticky Fingers as a super deluxe edition box set in May, which features previously unreleased studio recordings and rare live performances. The new deluxe edition of the album is a two-disc set that includes the remastered album, plus a bonus CD featuring previously unreleased alternate takes and live performances. These include the alternative version of Brown Sugar featuring Eric Clapton; unreleased interpretations of Bitch, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking and Dead Flowers; an acoustic version of Wild Horses, and five tracks recorded live at The Roundhouse in 1971 including Honky Tonk Women and Midnight Rambler. At a mid-range price point is the deluxe edition box set that adds a DVD to the standard deluxe, which includes two tracks from the band’s famous Marquee Club show of 26 March 1971. This comes in presentation box with 72 page hardback picture book and four postcard set.

Sticky Fingers Deluxe Box 3D mock up

Pictured: 2CD+DVD deluxe box, with small book

As well as the two CDs and DVD mentioned above, the top-of-the-range Super Deluxe Edition also includes an official release of the Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out! bootleg. The 13-track CD featuring the audio recording of the Stones’ gig in Leeds in March 1971, shortly before their ‘exile’ in France began. The set included versions of the just-completed Brown Sugar, Bitch and Dead Flowers. The Super Deluxe Edition box set also includes a 120 page hardback book complete with real zip, a seven-inch vinyl record (Brown Sugar/Wild Horses), a print, postcard set and mini replica of band cut-out.

Sticky Fingers Deluxe Vinyl 3D mock up

The double vinyl includes the bonus audio and the packaging has the real zip on the front. All the versions reissue utilise the 2009 mastering – this has been confirmed to SDE by Universal Music. Sticky Fingers is reissued on 25 May 2015.

bo

Super Deluxe Edition box (3CD+DVD+7″+large book etc.)

smallbox

Deluxe Edition box (2CD+DVD+small book)

2lp

2LP Vinyl Edition

vinyl

Vinyl LP

2CD

Deluxe 2CD

Track listing

Sticky Fingers (2009 remaster)

• 1. Brown Sugar
  • 2. Sway
  • 3 . Wild Horses
  • 4. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
  • 5. You Gotta Move
  • 6. Bitch
  • 7. I Got The Blues
  • 8. Sister Morphine
  • 9. Dead Flowers
  • 10. Moonlight Mile

Sticky Fingers Bonus audio CD / 2nd Vinyl LP

• 1. Brown Sugar [feat. Eric Clapton]
  • 2.Wild Horses (Acoustic)
  • 3. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (Alternate Version)
  • 4. Bitch (Extended Version)
  • 5. Dead Flowers (Alternate Version)
  • 6. Live With Me (Live At The Roundhouse / 1971)
  • 7. Stray Cat Blues (Live At The Roundhouse / 1971)
  • 8. Love In Vain (Live At The Roundhouse / 1971)
  • 9. Midnight Rambler (Live At The Roundhouse / 1971)
  • 10 Honky Tonk Women (Live At The Roundhouse / 1971)

Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out! (super deluxe only)

• 1. Jumpin Jack Flash
  • 10. Little Queenie
  • 11. Brown Sugar
  • 12. Street Fighting Man
  • 13. Let It Rock

80 responses to The Rolling Stones announce Sticky Fingers reissue and box sets

1. Gary C says:

The Japanese version you featured on here is fantastic in sound, they should have used that…that said, I’ve pre-ordered the vinyl, as its only £18

2. Andreas says:

The super deluxe edition was available at amazon.co.uk for 10.99 UKP for a short time :-) (now 72.99 UKP)

3. Lee Taylor says:

A good number of Amazon reviewers are not fond of the 2009 remastering (http://smile.amazon.com/Sticky-Fingers-ROLLING-STONES/product-reviews/B001WCN23W/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0). Anyone strongly dis/agree?

4. Hedley says:

Is this due for a US release ?

I see that the Stones are down the Comerica Park on July 8th, lots of announcements today from everyone’s favorite Senior Citizens including the US Tour

5. Galley says:

That would explain why the acoustic version of Wild Horses showed up on Rhapsody this morning.

Anyway, I’m happy with the sound quality of the 1994/98 Virgin remasters.

6. Eric Slangen says:

There was also a Spanish style cover vinyl??

• Mark McKendrick says:

The Spanish cover version is available from the Rolling Stones site shop. Oddly it’s ten quid cheaper than the UK sleeve version! Get it while you can.

7. graeme ewan says:

i say not one person who reads this pre-order the not so SUPER DUPER DELUXE SET. bloody cash in yet again. having to buy various permutations to get “everything”. Hopefully it will either come down in price if no one pre-orders via AMAZON and the price with fall like a (rolling) stone,……sorry. Vinyl only coupled with the bigger , no doubt picture book, only would be a good combo but not an option, (cue no shock or horror from anyone one that read this eh guys)? now, i shall go and dig out my “stones bootleg hard-drive” and listen to all of the stuff that still wont be included on this “new product”. damn, I have ordered the vinyl on amazon due to some compulsion to get postie to bring me gifts to self.

8. Daniel Lalla says:

But will it have the ‘zipper’?

9. Lee Taylor says:

Picture of the Stones logo painted on Heinz Field this morning: https://twitter.com/steelers/status/582888589459136512

10. John Ireland says:

I want the Super Deluxe but I will wait as no doubt the price will drop after release if Amazon’s recent practices are anything to go by

11. Jim says:

I managed to pre-order the box at £10.99. Wonder if I’ll get it.

12. Iain McCarthy says:

Re Lee Taylor: The 2009 remaster of ‘Sticky Fingers’ (like all the 2009 remasters) is far too loud and compressed. I sold my 2009 remaster and went back to the 1994 Virgin version.

13. Wazza says:

If I am reading that correctly the DVD has a whole 2 songs on it? Hopefully they release that separately as it sounds amazing

14. Lou says:

We all knew they would leave off C***sucker Blues

15. Paul says:

The 7″ single pictured is Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let It Rock, not Brown Sugar/Wild Horses. Do you know which is accurate?

Thanks for picking that up. The press release stated Brown Sugar / Wild Horses. I’ve no idea which is correct, although it’s probably what is pictured…

• Alex Cranfield says:

Hi
        My 7inch vinyl in the super deluxe boxset is Brown Sugar/ Wild Horses, butt it has been mislabeled as wild horses on both sides!

• Mark McKendrick says:

The correct one (as per original) is Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let it Rock.

16. Ron Hatchell says:

I wonder if the “Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out!” is in mono, like the non-official release.

17. Ron Hatchell says:

The U.S. Amazon link isn’t working right for the 2-CD version. It comes up with the Super Deluxe Edition for $299.99. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

18. Spencer says:

For all the illicit stuff that is out there to be had and they could only come up with a paltry, measly, FIVE stinking studio bonus tracks?! Come on!!! Not a purchase here!!

19. Gisabun says:

Judging by what they charged for “super” deluxe box sets, I won’t bother with that one. ain’t worth the money.

• Gisabun says:

I was right. The big one is $300 in the US but surprisingly just $203 in Canada. Even then, just not worth it.
      What is this crapo with just 2 tracks on the DVD? They could find anything they could throw in? Promo videos? Interviews?
      Or maybe they’ll save it for the special super duper deluxe collectors limited edition box set in 5 years.

20. Philip Cohen says:

So Amazon.com is getting $299 for the Super Deluxe Box? They’re insanely greedy. You can buy it from The Stones’ official website for $149, or from numerous UK dealers(including Amazon’s own UK affiliate) for the equivalent of $95 dollars(after shipping!). So (not surprisingly) I ordered from Amazon.co.uk

Do Amazon.com executives think we’re stupid?

Pretty sure $299 is just the usual Amazon ‘first day’ gremlins. As someone pointed out earlier the SDE box was £10.99 on the UK site for a very brief time. As mistakes go I prefer the latter :)

• Gisabun says:

Unsure sometimes with Amazon sometimes. They jacked the price of Rush’s A Farewell To Kings on Blu-ray audio. Was about $31.50 [which is pricey] and last I looked was over $42 – way pricey!

21. Steve Benson says:

what’s the betting the zipper damages something else in the box!

22. eric says:

As a band with a long history of crap recording quality, and certainly Sticky Fingers falls into that category, this comes as no surprise. Grab the cash and do as little as possible. Pass.

23. LedMan says:

I’ll pass on the 2009 remasters. I agree this set is just another cash grab and i’ll stick with my SHM-SACD of “Sticky Fingers” plus I’m pretty sure I also have the 1994 Virgin CD too! I have plenty of live Stones and previously unreleased studio material already. Hopefully one day the record companies will finally realize that the majority of people who purchase these deluxe sets want quality sound.

24. Thom says:

I’m going to pass, simply because it’s impossible to improve on perfection. After those rubbish extras on Exile…, I can’t imagine any of the alternate versions bettering the standard cuts, and the live tracks are of no interest while Ya-Yas exists.

• Philip Cohen says:

Maybe the reasons why we’re only getting a small quantity of unreleased studio tracks are these:
      1.The group realized that adding 21st century vocals to 1969-71 backing tracks would be obvious (even if vari-speeded as on the hybrid old/new”Exile” bonus tracks). On the other hand, adding 21st century vocals to 1978-80 backing tracks(as on a few of the “Some Girls” deluxe edition bonus tracks) was at least somewhat more acceptable.

2. Many of the best completed “Sticky Fingers” leftovers were used on “Exile on Main Street”.

3.Many unfinished backing track numbers heard on bootlegs, which many people assume to be “Sticky Fingers”-outtakes, were actually recorded back in 1969(as was about one-third of “Exile on Main Street”)

4.The purpose of the live album “Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out” was ostensibly to respond to the appearance of live bootleg L.P.’s from the 1969 U.S.A. tour, but it was also a way to complete a contractual obligation to ABKCO, and to avoid giving any more studio tracks to ABKCO. But the Stones continued making studio recordings during that period. Some of them were later used on “Exile on Main Street”.

• Ron Hatchell says:

Thank you for the information, Philip.

I wish they would have included the entire Marquee Club show (using the best of the songs performances, as some of them they performed more than once). I’ve seen this show a few times and thought it was pretty good, and loved Mick Taylor’s playing (especially on “Dead Flowers”). I didn’t see any reasons why they would not include the other songs.

25. Ron Hatchell says:

Hopefully the “Deluxe Edition box (2CD+DVD+small book)” will be available on the U.S. Amazon before long.

26. Paul Lewis says:

I think that UK vinyl link at £17.99 is really only the standard single disc. Amazon seem to have got their formats confused and although that shows as 2 disc, there’s another listing at £24.99 which actually lists the full 2 disc tracklist with bonus tracks.

27. Bingo says:

Roll on the new Fall album

28. Richard, NYC says:

Greetings to all,
    To U.S.A. customers, I purchased mine for $60.83 GBP. Better than $72.+

• Raul Hernandez says:

Hi Richard.

I also buy it for £ 60, but when I get the parcel article will be charged import taxes?

29. Roberto says:

Since this is the finest album they ever made, I will buy the damn thing. As little as we are getting as bonus, it is one of my all time favorite records. The way things are going, I doubt when the time comes there won’t be a 50th anniversary ultimate release with 5.1 surround sound or God knows how many more channels are commercially available for the consumer then. It is overpriced but I am thrilled nonetheless. Will get the vinyl and the super deluxe configurations.

• Philip Cohen says:

While any Rolling Stones are still on this planet, I wouldn’t expect any surround sound. The group never really liked stereo. Both “Beggar’s Banquet” & “Exile on Main Street” each have one track in mono sound. The only reason that The Stones (reluctantly) went stereo on the 1966 album “Aftermath” was under record company pressure and/or as a response to a sleazy move by British Decca: they(Decca) issued a so-called “stereo” edition of the UK “Out of Our Heads” that wasn’t even simulated stereo. It was a purely mono L.P. with the word “Stereo” on the album cover and label.(Capitol did the same thing for The Beach Boys album “Wild Honey”). The record company move worked as intended; each group delivered an actual stereo mix of their next album.

Oddly enough, since the UK “Out of Our Heads” album consisted entirely of RCA/Hollywood & Chess Chicago recordings, the group probably could have assembled a true stereo version. Chess engineer Ron Malo once stated(in the long-defunct “Modern Recording and Music” magazine), that all the recordings that he made with the group were mixed down only in stereo, but that the group had them re-copied into mono, so that the releases would all be in mono or fake stereo.

• Roberto says:

That’s a great point Philip, the Stones being one of the acts that got caught in the whole mono to stereo transition era, but I think as the technology continues to progress and advancements are made to recording and sound, there will always be a market and the Stones have been a corporate business for many years now, so as long as there are milestones to commemorate and anniversaries coming, I wouldn’t be surprised that this repackaging craze in pursuit of profit continues.

30. Mig says:

What happens when you pull down the zipper on the book? Is there a paperback hidden inside?

31. Brian says:

I just ordered the Super Deluxe on Amazon UK for 63 GBP shipped to the US. Amazon US has it for $299 and Amazon Canada 203 CAD

32. Johnny T says:

This thing is an over priced joke!! Incomplete Marque show on DVD. I already have the full show in fantastic quality. They also left off the great alternate version of Sway that was the b-side of the U.S. Wild Horses single. The only things that interest me here are the extended Bitch and alt Can’t You Hear Me Knocking.

33. ben hendrix says:

i do not understand why a DVD is being used when blu ray has been available for so long. They could really juice up the special edition with ONE Blu ray disc that has the dvd contents, blu-ray audio of all the tracks and potentially additional content and it wouldn’t cost them hardly any difference… sigh, it is what it is…

34. AlexKx says:

A decade ago (or there abouts) even before Blu-Ray was released I desperately tried to converse with people about really exciting ideas for the Blu-Ray format to be used as a new audio format that have loads of multi-media features (on other artists discussion boards) but I was constantly told that was such a horrible idea that should NOT be done. As if Satan himself would eat these people’s children up. So any bitching and complaining at this point really should fall on deaf ears. When you have people like Roberto who have a problem with the Capitalist system (which by the way the Rolling Stones have always practiced as they should) there will always be phenomenally great missed ideas, opportunities, AND prices people can afford. Now you are left with this and you probably won’t get anything better in your lives because people do not support freedom and capitalism which brought more peace and prosperity to more people from more walks of life than any other system. You all’s poverty is not because The Rolling Stones were highly successful. No matter what and how many times you may try to claim otherwise.

• Roberto says:

I was merely saying that this is show business and the Stones are ‘the greatest rock and roll band in the world’ so I won’t be surprised if we get the same content repackaged over and over with a few tweaks here and there… it is up to the public to buy the products or not. Most people and the ‘general public’ will do with a “greatest hits” edition and don’t care about the different mixes and versions and outtakes and so on.. I do – like most of us here. I am – like most of you a sucker for these things, I cannot do with a single disc edition of any particular album that I really like, and luckily, so far I have the income to indulge in such pleasures – hopefully for many more years to come. My point was more that I am rather surprised the Stones have not explored these surround options, when there’s such a great business opportunity. This is an industry, like any other.

• thegreatelephant says:

it’s good to use aspects of capitalism to redistribute stolen money from the immoral

35. Philip Cohen says:

To my knowledge, the only Rolling Stones studio track ever remixed for surround sound was “Sympathy For The Devil”, which was remixed for a (long-deleted) ABKCO SACD single(which also included some modern mash-up/hip-hop remixes of the song)

36. Mig says:

Movies like “V For Vendetta”? Was that 5.1 faked/reprocessed stereo?

37. Phil says:

All of the tracks would have fit onto two CDs. Why are they effectively depriving fans of the Leeds show? The box set is at an eye-watering price that would put food on my family’s table for a week! Hmm..Stones show, or eat. What to do!?

38. Philip Cohen says:

Though I’m normally annoyed by release postponements, I wouldn’t be the slightest bit upset if there were to be a postponement of this box, and a re-think concerning the inadequate contents of the DVD.

39. Jeremy Earle says:

Does anyone know if the single vinyl LP will have the zipper, or will this only be on the double vinyl LP edition?

40. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 4 April 2015 | superdeluxeedition

41. Gisabun says:

What a waste. 2 tracks on a DVD. Could of released those 2 tracks as part of say a DVD audio of the album or promo videos or interviews. The only thing as crappy as a release for a DVD “bonus” was Elton John’s Union DVD with a 7 minute “interviews”.

42. richie says:

I`ve ordered the Japanese SHM SACD today so will stick with the double LP.

43. Pingback:The Rolling Stones / From The Vault: Marquee Club Live in 1971 | superdeluxeedition

44. Mr Tim says:

Indeed postponed now till June 8th (just in case anyone not seen this on the stones website). manufacturing delays on the zippers ! and from the press release all formats delays to be released on the same day. 8th ROW, 9th for the US.
    Content behind the zipper, one presumes…unchanged.

45. Royce says:

Target.com offers the 2-CD version with a vinyl of the original album for only $17.99.

46. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 6 June 2015 | superdeluxeedition

47. Phil Newnham says:

Seems a bit mean to leave the Leeds show off the 2CD edition. Make an expensive box for those who want one, but at least make the music affordable for everyone else.

48. David Barron says:

I’ll be getting this on Monday and slightly disappointed that the 7″ Single is not Brown Sugar/Wild Horses/Let It Rock as the original UK single. However look forward to receiving the box on Monday.

49. Ron Hatchell says:

The Leeds show is in stereo, unlike the mono boot!

50. Chris Farnell says:

Qobuz has the 3CD versions available for download (in lossless format) at 26 euros, if you want the Leeds show but do not want to shell out for the box (and don’t mind not having the physical product)

51. thewildeyedboyfromfreecloud says:

Really excited that my vinyl copy turned up today. I had no idea there were two versions of the vinyl and was expecting the zipper cover. Now I am really disappointed I have to wait until I return it and a fresh one is delivered before I can play the damn thing!

52. PAC says:

Thirty sheets for the wax. Plumped for Jenny Hval !

53. Pingback:The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971) [2015, Super Deluxe Box Set] - Pure Music

54. Pingback:The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers (1971) [2015, Super Deluxe Box Set]