The Smiths / The Queen is Dead reissue

First Smiths deluxe • 3CD+DVD • 5LP vinyl • hi-res on DVD

Warners will issue multi-disc deluxe editions of The Smiths 1986 album The Queen Is Dead on vinyl and CD, in October this year.

The album is generally considered to be the band’s best work (although for this writer Strangeways, Here We Come gives it a good run for its money) and features the classic There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (only a single in France at the time, fact fans).

There are three physical formats for this release – which as you will note has updated artwork – a 3CD+DVD deluxe includes the remastered album, a bonus CD of demos, alternates and b-sides, a further CD: Live In Boston (recorded at the Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts on August 5, 1986) and a DVD featuring the 2017 master of the album in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo. The DVD also includes The Queen Is Dead – A Film By Derek Jarman.

A five-LP box set includes all the audio listed above and is housed in lift off box with two double gatefolds and one single LP. A two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

All formats of this The Queen Is Dead reissue will be released on 20 October 2017.

Update: 7pm 20/7/17 – prices have increased already for both 3CD+DVD and 5LP in the UK. However, I think the former will come back down again, although perhaps not the latter.

The Smiths

The Queen is Dead 3CD+DVD deluxe

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 28.99

The Smiths

The Queen is Dead 5LP vinyl box

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 71.99

The Queen Is Dead – 2CD Edition

Disc One: Original Album – 2017 Remaster
1.   “The Queen Is Dead”
2.   “Frankly, Mr. Shankly”
3.   “I Know It’s Over”
4.   “Never Had No One Ever”
5.   “Cemetry Gates”
6.   “Bigmouth Strikes Again”
7.   “The Boy With The Thorn In His Side”
8.   “Vicar In A Tutu”
9.   “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”
10. “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others”

Disc Two: Additional Recordings
1.   “The Queen Is Dead” (Full Version)
2.   “Frankly, Mr. Shankly” (Demo)
3.   “I Know It’s Over” (Demo)
4.   “Never Had No One Ever” (Demo)
5.   “Cemetry Gates” (Demo)
6.   “Bigmouth Strikes Again” (Demo)
7.   “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others” (Demo)
8.   “The Boy With The Thorn In His Side” (Demo Mix)
9.   “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” (Take 1)
10. “Rubber Ring” (B-side)
11. “Asleep” (B-side)
12. “Money Changes Everything” (B-side)
13. “Unloveable” (B-side)

Tracks 1-7 and 9 are previously unreleased.
Track 8 was released on 7″ for Record Store Day.
Tracks 10 and 11 are 2017 masters of  b-sides from The Boy With The Thorn In His Side.
Tracks 12 and 13 are 2017 masters of  b-sides from Bigmouth Strikes Again.

Disc Three: Live In Boston (Previously Unreleased)
1.   “How Soon Is Now?”
2.   “Hand In Glove”
3.   “I Want The One I Can’t Have”
4.   “Never Had No One Ever”
5.   “Stretch Out And Wait”
6.   “The Boy With The Thorn In His Side”
7.   “Cemetry Gates”
8.   “Rubber Ring/What She Said/Rubber Ring”
9.   “Is It Really So Strange?”
10. “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”
11. “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore”
12. “The Queen Is Dead”
13. “I Know It’s Over”

Recorded at the Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts on August 5, 1986.

DVD:

The Queen Is Dead on 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo
The Queen is Dead – A Film by Derek Jarman

189 responses to The Smiths / The Queen is Dead reissue

1. andy brookes says:

cheers ordered

2. RJS says:

I’ve always preferred ‘Meat is Murder’ but their best release is the stop-gap budget compilation ‘Hatful of Hollow’. I think I’ll opt for the 2CD edition – live recordings hold little interest.

• Tom of FIN says:

Yeah, quite a disappointment by the Smiths too. No new unreleased tracks from the vault at all. Only demos again and one live concert. Very typical

I’d prefer Meat is Murder too as expanded edition, but not that either to pay premium, if demos or live senssions are only on offer. One die-hard fan product again.

• John Eire says:

I agree Hatful of Hollow is the most spontaneous and ultimate essence and accidental best of The Smiths

3. Mr John Collins says:

I have actually just weed myself.

4. Anthony James says:

Any idea if Rubber Ring & Asleep will segue into each other like they originally did?

• Dana says:

Anthony James – That is THE question! I only have my lovingly worn 12″ and would love a “clean” version of Rubber Ring > Asleep.

• Frank(ly) says:

• Adam Syntax says:

Even the CD single box set didn’t have the Rubber Ring / Asleep segue, plus it had the ‘wrong’ The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, as did the 7″ in the ‘complete’ box.

Would be nice if it is that one, it’s the first thing I wondered.

• Neil Parnell says:

i so hope so….prob my fave smiths moment on vinyl

5. John Moore says:

This will do very well as it has been along time for new material- Very exciting news!

6. Gareth says:

Surely ‘Meat is Murder’ is the best Smiths album?!?! Wish they’d use this as an opportunity to address the strange fade out/in at the start of ‘Some Girls…’. Always sounded odd to me (and swap it in the track listing with ‘There is a light…’ too).

• Ben Williams says:

The fade in-out was meant to be a door opening and closing and then re-opening if I remember rightly. Strange choice but heck, its the Queen Is Dead – thankfully Morrissey hasn’t messed with the track listing like on Viva Hate back in 2012…

• markieface says:

Gareth, there was an Australian (I think) edit of the song that looped the beginning to cover the fade. It will be out there somewhere if it’s no longer commercially available.

I much prefer the fade in/out version my self, mind…

7. PC says:

Great news. I knew there had to be more in the archives. And I agree with y0u on Strangeways, Here We Come.

• markieface says:

Someone very close to either the group or their former label leaked a vinyl collection of demos about five years ago that had clearly been mastered for release. Most of the bonus tracks on TQID2017 first appeared there, and they’re good. It also features the Troy Tate-produced unreleased single version of “Reel Around The Fountain”, and it’s spectacular. I really hope that it gets the official release it deserves some day.

8. David Butterfield says:

Very very disappointing that the DVD is not a live show as we anticipated. 24 bit audio is all well and good but there are several pro shot shows from TQID era..

9. Dr Avalanche says:

Great news! This is (along with Meat Is Murder) my favorite album from them. Not a bad track on it.
    I do hope so that this time they put the mixed/crossfade Rubber Ring and Asleep on here; just like on the original 12-inch. That would be a first.
    Is it already October yet? ;-)

10. Peter says:

Erm Some boxsets are bigger than others

11. Steven C says:

Who’ll be the first to claim loudness wars brickwalling months before possibly hearing it? I’m buying every version site unseen. Morrissey can be a tedious pain in the ass in 2017 and yeah, yeah the Beatles.. This is the greatest record of all time. Period. I couldn’t go on knowing there’s a grander edition of this album and not own it.

12. Ben Williams says:

Excellent!

Pre-ordered this a few days ago when a mysterious tracklisting appeared on Morrissey-solo.com.

Two big box sets in the same year from my two favourite bands (Beatles & Smiths)

And I agree – Strangeways Here We Come is an amazing album and for me, trumps Queen Is Dead but “only slightly, only slighty”…

13. richard says:

Very happy indeed. Was wondering if there may be an’ Indies only’ coloured vinyl issue.
    5 LP box ordered.

14. Marc Bijlsma says:

Great news. It’s a wonderful album. The only track I sometimes skip is ‘The boy with the thorn in his side’.
    I think I’ll go for the 2-cd edition, since I prefer studio recordings and don’t really care for just the audio of live stuff. But I might wait to make a final decision a bit closer to the release date.

15. Trash says:

Count me as another person in the ‘Meat is Murder is their best’ camp.

£58 for 5LPs does some very good value for money though (compared to some recent releases).

16. Lamplighter says:

Presume that’s a five disc edition with three of those being vinyl?

Gutted there is no Salford 86 video though.

No five-LP vinyl set (which includes album, bonus disc and live gig) and 3CD+DVD or 2CD set.

17. The boy from those ugly new houses says:

Finally, a reissue to get really excited about, and with unreleased material. Yes!!
    My order of ‘offically released’ albums while it’s being debated.
    Hatful
    Queen is dead
    Strangeways
    Meat is Murder
    World Won’t Listen
    Louder than Bombs
    The Smiths (great songs, awful production)
    Rank

18. 5D says:

Excited for this.
    Although I disagree with some other posters here and think their Debut is their best proper studio album followed by Strangeways, but then they never released a bad album.
    In fact Louder Than Bombs is my favourite even though its a compilation.

• markieface says:

I wish they’d remix the first album. I’m sure there’s a much more exciting record underneath all that compression, even though we’re stuck with the click-tracked drumming forever.

19. Jeremy says:

Hoping that these 2017 remasters will finally surpass the originals “Rough Trad masters”, which are always “the reference” in terms of quality of listening.

20. -SG- says:

Fantastic. A reissue I really need. Their best non compilation album. I never thought they would actually release something like this. This offers a lot for the money. Interesting that they left the Rubber Ring demo off the reissue…glad I got that on on Record Store Day.

21. Peter says:

Hatful of hollow to me always sounded dull.shame there’s no cd of the festival of the 10th summer at g mex …great concert and a great lineup that day .meat is murder is definitely there masterpiece

22. Michael C says:

Order placed, thanks Paul.
    Do we know if Johnny Marr and/or Frank Arkwright were involved with the remastering.
    As they were involved in the remaster box set from a few years back.

23. Domingo says:

Thanks Paul. Just ordered.

Perhaps this year my wife could kill me (Peppers, OKNOTOK, Bowie, Prince, Joshua…) also Lives (Aerosmith, G&R, Metallica on Feb’08…) Sickness…

24. Adey says:

Its a shame they haven’t included the 2 tracks from the “elitist vinyl only” rsd 7″, on the cd version.

• Ben Williams says:

The Boy With The Thorn In His Side – demo mix is the same as the A-side of the recent RSD disc. Sadly, Rubber Ring – demo mix is missing.

• Gavin says:

A side is on this release- which is a shame because the b side was better

25. Neil Young says:

I too am intrigued to know if Rubber Ring and Asleep are indeed segued into each other. I always loved that 12″ single. One of those rare items that felt complete. More than just a single.

Personally, The Queen is Dead, apart from a handful of tracks, never really appealed to me in the same way as Meat is Murder. That album had an atmosphere the others just didn’t have.

And at the time of release in 1985, it contained no singles. Only later did they release That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore. Of course How Soon Is Now was added to the CD issue later too.

For me, Meat is Murder is definitely the high point in their career.

26. Paul says:

ordered one of my favourite bands, interesting as Marr always said there was nothing left in the vaults unreleased.

• Tom of FIN says:

Well, demos or live acts as bonuses are not “unreleased tracks” at least. Mr. Marr must have referred to sort of “new” songs hidden in vaults.

Unreleased demos or live takes are only versions of released songs. Target group in these kind of very typical expanded editions is basically die-hard fans or new customers – not “the sensible Smiths fan base”, LOL.

• markieface says:

In terms of finished studio recordings, I think there’s only “Reel Around The Fountain” (Troy Tate), “Is It Really So Strange”, and an alternate “Sheila Take a Bow”. There’s a couple of instrumental demos (“I Misses You” and one untitled), and a demo of “This Night Has Opened My Eyes”.

27. Gary C says:

Been following the build up to this for a couple of days now. Vinyl ordered

Speculation was rife that the DVD would have the video of the Salford gig, its up on Youtube and is very good, but a Hi Res audio version of the album is a surprise and a first for a Smiths album I think.
    Many will have the Boston bootleg, and it isn’t half bad, but they have shortened the set list for this release. It has a very similar track list to the Rank/Kilburn album, but they have included Never Had No One Ever this time, and a twin guitar That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore…

28. Darren Briscoe says:

Aaarghhj! Why is it not available in America?????

29. David M says:

Some prefer “Meat”? Wow. This is clearly their best album. I would put HoH 2nd if it counts followed by Strangeways.

• Tom of FIN says:

No, it clearly is not! LOL, very overrated this certainly is!

• Jakob says:

I think Meat is my least favourite of the albums. Depending on how I feel about Strangeways.

• markieface says:

The mistake they made was not putting “Barbarism…” on the B-side of “William…”. This would have allowed them to debut “How Soon is Now” in its place on “Meat is Murder”. I’ve sequenced the album like that with a segue into the final track and it sounds brilliant.

30. Metal Mickey says:

@Paul re. “Marr always said there was nothing left in the vaults unreleased.”
    Marr meant that there were no unreleased new songs, only demos & works-in-progress for songs which ended up being released in finished form later, though I also seem to remember him saying a long while ago there were a few interesting instrumental snippets that may end up being released sometime…

Otherwise, I’ll definitely be buying this, though I’ll put the cat among the pigeons and suggest that Louder Than Bombs might be their best album, it’s remarkably cohesive for an odds & sods collection…

• Paul says:

Ahh right, thanks makes sense, hopefully the smiths, Meat and strangeways will get similar treatment.

31. Tom of FIN says:

Yes, remarkable that the most outstanding releases by this 80’s Beatles are both collections: Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs. Neither of them is though NOT a typical greatest hits album at all.

32. Gavin says:

The segued rubber ring/asleep is on the original rough trade cd single of boy ..
    Any live gigs welcome as we have had a real shortage of official live audio – slightly disappointed with the DVD but at that price can’t complain too much
    Let’s hope all the albums get this treatment
    Preordered yesterday so bonus live cd is welcome

33. Marko says:

No, thank you. Not sure what to think about someone remastering something Johnny Marr already remastered. I’ll stick with Johnny any day.

The most recent remaster was done by Frank Arkwright ‘with’ Johnny Marr. As yet, we have no idea who worked on this ‘2017 Master’.

• Craig Hedges says:

Just read Johnny Marr’s autobiography and he says he put a lot of time and effort on the remasters. He says thats how they are meant to sound.
        But what does he know he was only the songwriter/guitarist and producer for the band.

Not sure what your point is… I know the last ones are supposed to be ‘definitive’ or close to it.

• Craig hedges says:

Sorry Paul. I shouldn’t post messages when I’m tired. I d read some of the earlier posts regarding the quality of Marr’s remastering. I left my comment in the wrong place.

• David Bricknell says:

It’s interesting that Johnny Marr yesterday tweeted a picture of himself standing in front of a Smiths poster (the “Sheilagh Take A Bow” single featuring cover star Candy Darling) with the line “Candy says ‘back with news very soon’.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that this one tweet qualifies as Johnny promoting the re-release of TQID, (despite one fan getting over-excited about a potential Smiths reunion and immediately being slapped down by Johnny with the tweeted response “Get a grip”).

I really don’t think Johnny would promote anything to do with re-released Smiths material unless he was TOTALLY comfortable with the sonic presentation of his music contained within.

Personally, I interpret his tweet as an endorsement, whether he was personally involved with the 2017 master or not. This in itself is interesting, because Johnny was super critical of the early mastering of The Smiths on CD and described his own sonic overhaul of the entire catalogue as the “definitive” aural presentation of the material. So I’d be very surprised if these new 2017 masters haven’t used his earlier remasters, otherwise, why would he be endorsing them?

As an aside, Morrissey’s famous quote that he “would rather eat his own testicles than reform The Smiths” seems pretty unambiguous, doesn’t it? That is until we see (ala The Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” reunion tour) a poster announcing The Smiths “Yummy Balls” tour, it clearly is never gonna happen! :)

I did tweet Johnny yesterday with the following question “Hi @Johnny_Marr. Any insight into how the ‘2017 Master’ of The Queen Is Dead differs from the previous remaster? (if at all)”. He hasn’t tweeted anything since the one you mention from the 19th July. Not that I’m really expecting him to respond!

• David Bricknell says:

Nice try anyway, Paul! I guess all will be officially revealed in due course.

I played TQID from the Complete Smiths Box Set today, nice and loud on a high-end stereo and it really doesn’t sound like it’s in need of another cut and polish to be honest.

The fact that Morrissey and Marr both gave it the thumbs up as being representative of how they recall the tracks actually sounding in the studio when they were recording them also means they can be truly appreciated as pure audio fidelity direct from the artists to the fans, which is never a bad thing.

34. Lamplighter says:

I flip between MIM and TQID as my favourites. MIM has a biting wit, sharp humour. The weakness of TQIQ is in Morrissey’s increasingly “Carry on” humour (Frankly, Some girls, Vicar). Strangeways is great musically but the campy lyrics leave me with only Last night, and the fantastic Vulgar picture as highlights. Interesting to me is how a vulnerable and less cocky Morrissey returned to a more sincere and heartfelt lyrical delivery with Viva Hate. TQID is a (slightly flawed) masterpiece though.

• RJS says:

“The weakness of TQIQ is in Morrissey’s increasingly “Carry on” humour (Frankly, Some girls, Vicar)”

Spot on.

• David Bricknell says:

I personally think the “Carry On” humour only solidifies TQID as even more of a quintessentially “British” album.

Additionally, I think it ingrains Morrissey’s personality into the material (it’s well known that he was a Carry On fan and – despite popular misconceptions related to miserablism – was also a really funny guy with a great sense of humour, at least according to Johnny Marr, who should know). Writing with such conviction about his own “fandom” I reckon is one of Morrissey’s (many) great strengths as a songwriter.

Thirty-odd years since it’s release, we now don’t seem to get nearly enough individual “personality” or “character” in music, because so much of it is seemingly being multi-authored by songwriting committees for hire and then sonically “blanded-out” with the generic backing track pre-approved by a corporate focus group.

Viva The Smiths!

• markieface says:

I think beneath the camp of “Some Girls…” there’s a melancholic undertone – it’s all about missing out on life and not getting what other people think is important until it’s too late. It has a real sense of anti-climax.

35. Bryan says:

I loved how with the Prince “Purple Rain” reissue, they released a nicely produced replica of the 1984 Mexican picture disc. Wouldn’t it have been nice with “Queen is dead” if they’d reproduced the original German green vinyl issue as a standalone edition?

36. Tyrone says:

reissue reissue repackage anyone?

Hi res – Im in

• Gansbarre says:

I can’t believe it took someone, in a forum about a Smiths re-release, this long to use that lyric. :P

No more though, for the love of god..

• Tom of FIN says:

I’d give the moderator cart blanche (to seek and destroy!) with no second thought, if that lyrics is used in just one more post on this site.

No freedom of speech violation by any means any more… That many times used already in relation to about every other artist here.

37. Gareth says:

Odd how they didn’t include a version of ‘Vicar in a Tutu’ on the 2nd disk. It’s not a classic by any means but a demo or ‘alternate’ version would have mirrored the original album track-listing.

• markieface says:

I think it was the last song recorded for the album, so they may well have used the first take. “Unloveable”, I believe, originally held that spot.

38. Srawdog says:

“The Boy with the Thorn in His Side” (Single Mix) seems to be missing. Not the worst thing in the world, but a bit strange nonetheless for such a comprehensive package.

39. RICHARD says:

Vinyl ordered thanks Paul. Take 1 of TIALTNGO is up on Spotify. Chill down the spine moment as I sat listening to it earlier.

40. Alan Jones says:

Vinyl box set ordered thanks Paul.

41. Mitchell says:

Strange they’ve titled Disc 3 as ‘Live in Boston’ – Great Woods Center for Performing Arts is in Mansfield, MA.

42. Colin says:

Thanks for the heads up on this one Paul. Much better than all the pointless Bowie releases that keep appearing! Of course the Derek Jarman film was previously released on the dvd The Smiths – The complete picture in 1992 and still available at an affordable price!

43. Gansbarre says:

For the interested:
    Original setlist per http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-g860805.htm
    5 August 1986
    Great Woods Performing Arts Center, Mansfield, MA
    1. How Soon Is Now?
    2. Hand In Glove
    3. I Want The One I Can’t Have
    4. Still Ill
    5. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
    6. Panic
    7. Never Had No One Ever
    8. Stretch Out And Wait
    9. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
    10. Cemetery Gates
    11. What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
    12. Is It Really So Strange?
    13. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    14. That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
    15. The Queen Is Dead
    16. Money Changes Everything
    17. I Know It’s Over
    18. Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
    19. Bigmouth Strikes Again

• Paul E. says:

@Gansbarre- Thanks for confirming things! The set list on Disc 3 looked abbreviated and you’ve just pointed out the seven omissions and obvious rearrangement of song order. I can appreciate the time constraints of compact discs but would still gamble to say that the concert contained on Disc 3 is no where near 80 minutes in running time. The Smiths kept pretty true to studio times when performing and my math shows this concert in 13 tracks at only 54 minutes. What genius decided NOT TO INCLUDE “Panic” and “Bigmouth Strikes Again”!

• Stan Butler says:

From my memory back in the day, a Smiths concert was usually 70-75 mins long. the extra 20 minutes would account for the seven missing songs.

44. MFG says:

I’ll defend the 2011 Smiths remastering. They sound good to me. Compressed a bit, but not brickwalled, and better sound quality than the original CDs (not just louder). Open the song files ripped from a CD in a good sound editor like Audacity or Sound Forge, and you’ll see the lack of brickwalling. (For a counter-example from the same era, check out the R.E.M. deluxe reissues of their ’80s albums. Those songs have been brickwalled, and are way too loud.)

Queen Is Dead is my favorite Smiths album, but I’m not a fan of demos, so I’ll pass. I’d prefer to have the complete live show as a separate release, not with the edited tracklist.

45. Tracey says:

As a huge fan of The Smiths, I’ll label my reaction as one of disappointment for two reasons. First, a bonus disc with 5 additional tracks (18 total) was considered when TQID reissue was previously on tap (back in 2011?). A shame those 5 tracks were cut. Second, I really don’t want another truncated live show (like “Rank”). I absolutely love live recordings, but my preference is to have a single and complete show. The fact that “Rank” is missing 6 songs is what keeps me listening to other live recordings of theirs that are complete.

Having said that, let me mosey off to amazon and place my order…

46. Ron I says:

Does the hi-res on DVD come with the Vinyl set?

47. Mark Turrell says:

Excellent. TQID is level with the first album as my fave one, ans i for one love the tongue in cheek ‘carry on style lyrics’. MIM is my least favorite for the opposite reason, it’s tedious. Saw them twice in 84 ad 85, so the live show will bring back memories.

48. Alan Unthank says:

Looking forward to this, and I really like the look of the new sleeve/artwork. Does anyone know if Rhino will ever get around to releasing the second box set of singles?

49. Alan B says:

Amazon UK prices for LP Boxset and 3CD/DVD have jumped upwards. Glad I ordered them this morning!

50. Subterranean says:

Price for 4-disc version is now £31.99 on Amazon.co.uk. The widget doesn’t reflect this. Wish I’d ordered earlier. :(

51. Tim says:

Shame about the two-thirds of a concert :(

On a slightly different note, shouldn’t the “Panic” and “Ask” singles be included in some form? “The Draize Train” is still without a proper CD release, having only been (briefly) available on a Rough Trade 1988 reissue.

Amazon UK price now £31.99, by the way …

52. Rik Skyline says:

The album cover artwork has been the same since 1986. It’s very much a part of this iconic album. That image of Alain Delon, that shade of green. It worked perfectly. So what, exactly, was the point in changing the image ever so slightly 31 years later? It seems like a strange thing to do, considering how much effort Morrissey put into the sleeve originally. It’s not like the cover actually looks better now that the left hand has been raised.

53. Gary C says:

Got to agree I am not all in with the change in cover art. I guess we shall hear soon enough who’s dabs are on the art work changes; all fingers currently pointing at Morrissey given his recent history.
    His choices for Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar were great and the new sleeve notes too, but then those are solo albums

54. Albert Tatlock says:

What a shame there is no TOTP, the Eurotube set, or any other 86/Gannon era footage on the DVD. Or the famous OGWT performance of ‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’. Instead we get Jarman’s load of tripe, which Johnny Marr himself referred to as ‘garbage’…

55. Eric says:

Awful new sleeve (should never have been mucked about with). Incomplete concert audio. No actual unreleased material (because there isn’t any). So, let’s bung all that in a big boxset, chuck in a DVD, attract the vinyl hipsters, and it’s quids in chaps!

Just about sums up where we are in 2017 with the reissue market.

Anything with Morrissey involved isn’t going to be plain sailing. Personally, for £25 (as it was earlier), I’m pretty happy with the 3CD+DVD. Yes, it’s not perfect, but the demos ARE ‘unreleased material’ since they’ve never been released before! Also, I’m not expecting a ‘big boxset’. Chances are this may well be similar to the Prince set, in terms of presentation.

• Gary C says:

Ah you said the magic words Paul, ‘big boxset’ (glances over at Smiths Complete SDE)

• Tim D says:

Do we know if the 3cd/dvd is in a clamshell box or larger format?

Not at the moment.

• Paul E. says:

@ Tim D – loads of us (myself included) have commented on recent SDE packaging and Warners have listened: The naked four disc set will be bundled utilizing a period correct “Rubber Ring”. Pricing/SKU stickers, etc. may be adhered directly to the top disc [playing surface of course] contingent upon the retailer.

• Subterranean says:

Princes and Queens deserve better.

• Joseph Whitcher says:

I really wish this could be a proper box (like Simple Minds or Tears For Fears) as opposed to what we got with Purple rain. I feel that these albums deserve more…but there just isn’t the same amount of material for The Smiths. Not a TON of b-sides, no remixes. I do wish they’d included the other demos that we all know about, as well as the full live show.

Still, I’ll be buying this because I’ve been obsessed since I was 11…and it’s a pretty decent set for the money, and for a fucking great record.

• Tom of FIN says:

Hmm, if demos or alternative takes – not remixes – are considered “unreleased material”, then every artist ever has at least one expanded edition box to publish.

In conventional sense hardly nobody considers demos (of released studio tracks, that is) as being new material from the vaults.

For god’s sake, why is everybody so keen on redefining what ‘unreleased material’ means?! Anything not previously commercially available is “unreleased material”. That’s it. It’s not a grey area…it’s black and white. Whether that unreleased material contains unheard songs etc. is a secondary point. Hardly any artists have great songs not issued (the likes of Prince and Springsteen being exceptions) hence why most reissues and deluxe sets have demos, alt mixes etc.

56. paolo says:

My favourite Smiths’ LP is the debut, but makes sense the label gave the deluxe treatment to ‘The Queen is Dead’ among the four proper studio albums, it definitely is their most iconic one. I don’t know if I’ll get it though, all of the extra material is not necessary for me; the Derek Jarman film is already available on DVD, and I’m not a big fan of demos and live recordings either.

Side note: I can’t stand revised artwork for those anniversary and deluxe editions, I hated how Billy Corgan messed with the Smashing Pumpkins reissues, for example.

57. Chris says:

Is TQID the first Smiths album to get an expanded treatment like this?

58. Jack says:

5lp set $79 at Bull Moose in the U. S. at bullmoose.com

59. Phil Wilson says:

Personally, I love live discs, but why not put the full 19 track gig on there?
    Missing are Still Ill, Frankly Mr Shankly, Panic, Money Changes Everything, Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now, Bigmouth Strikes Again

60. Eric says:

By unreleased material, I meant actual songs, not just different versions or demos. And c’mon, anything with five LPs is a big boxset. I can see where the reissue market is heading and it’s not for me.

One box is big, one isnt. Also, The Smiths aren’t Prince… are you suggesting there’s a vault of unreleased songs that they’ve ignored? A disc of demos sounds interesting to me.

• Eric says:

I’m not suggesting that at all. It’s been said that there isn’t anything of that nature. The album is only 35 minutes long, yet somehow we’ve ended up with another huge set, which offers an incomplete audio concert, and leaves off various A and B sides from around the era. Plus a ghastly new sleeve that should never have been considered.

Throw in some vinyl and a few demos, and people seem happy though.

I guess we’ll have to agree to differ on this one. 3CDs isn’t ‘huge’ and it makes sense to split across the discs > album – demos – concert. As long as we’re not paying a huge premium – and at £25 we’re not – then no problem. The hi-res on the DVD is a surprise, but welcome. Yes, they could have included TV performances, yes bits are missing from the CDs, but it’s quite rare to a faultless reissue/box. For a project where Morrissey would have had to approve content, I’m amazed at what we are getting!!

• Eric says:

Yep, we’ll have to differ again I fear Paul! I can’t see what’s being offered is worth the asking price, or what should even constitute a deluxe reissue of such an iconic album. I am finding this more and more, although at least with the new Misplaced Childhood set I can’t fault the content or presentation…only that with the previous 2CD reissue of that, I can’t personally justify £25+ for the Blu-Ray element, which has the only content I would want. But at least it’s been done properly.

• Tom of FIN says:

Spot on, Eric. Only commercial corporate purposes, not adding significantly anything unreleased really to discography.

61. Gansbarre says:

Be a nice treat if the Bigmouth demo in this set is the one with Kirsty MacColl backing vocals in place of the final sped up Morrissey vocals in the final version.

62. Robert Laversuch says:

Ordernd the deluxe set. Smiths are one of my all-time faves. It is all good. Yes regret not getting the complete box set as well. As to bad songs or albums there is no such thing imho. Best effort will always be Hatful for me then Meat and then Queen is dead.Really looking forward to this!

63. Neil says:

Seems Amazon have price matched HMV and raised it to £31.99 which is total bonkers.

64. Paddy says:

Ordered. Smashing!
    I never understood the veneration for Hatful of Hollow. Other than Back to the Old House, all of the alternative versions on it are all inferior, often vastly so.
    The s/t debut is my favourite by far. The other studio albums are all truly great though.

• Chris says:

I disagree. The Hatful version of ‘Reel Around The Fountain’ captures the real spirit of early Smiths. The debut LP version is bland and over produced, Marr’s guitar is chorused to within an inch of its life….and then there’s that horrible organ overdub. No contest IMHO!

• Gav says:

Hatful of Hollow is a superb set – I think all the peel sessions are much better than the first lp versions – and you get the awesomeness of how soon is now, William , please please please and the only place to find this night has opened my eyes – and all for £3.99 at the time

65. Nonames says:

Pre-ordered at 31pounds. Don’t want to pay that, but Amazons pre-order guarantee means I shouldn’t have to.
    Anyone know how I find out what price I will be charged -the lowest between now and release, right? If it’s more than 25 I may cancel it.

• Nonames says:

Answered myself. I see the lowest price when I look in my orders, 48 hours after a change.

I think the price will drop to around the £20 mark. Prince started at £24 and ended up at £17.

66. Brian says:

I’d but the high Res if were released separately.

67. Aca says:

Surely, ONLY on a Smiths/Moz-related thread would you find somebody posting under the name of… Albert Tatlock

Nice one! Made me smile, anyway…

68. Phil Wilson says:

How long is the long version of The Queen is Dead, anyone know?

• Caroline says:

It’s about 8 minutes. It’s exactly the same except without the skillful little edits Stephen Street made to hurry the track along. It doesn’t really tell you anything about the track you don’t already know but it’s good to see it finally getting out there.

69. this charming man says:

I have approx. 25-30 CDRs of “unreleased” tracks by The Smiths; as per what people have previously mentioned most of these are demo/work in progress versions of tracks that have previously been commercially released in their “finished” state. But they are nonetheless unreleased…well, all except a handful of them which are now going to be making their debut on the forthcoming The Queen Is Dead re-issue.

70. Mike Bushell says:

When I read this is went all strange!

Back in 1986, just before the album was eventually released in was in the old Virgin Records shop on Corporation Street in Birmingham. The in store DJ (!) announced he had an advance copy and played There Is A Light. The whole shop just stopped. No one had ever heard anything like it. It still brings me out in goose pimples.

A few weeks later my wife and I saw The Smiths at Wolverhampton Civic Hall. Without doubt the greatest night of our lives. Everything since is just a little tame.

• Rob G says:

Ah, Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1986. So many memories and probably one of the best gigs I have ever seen. I may have bumped into you (literally!) trying to get on the stage

Ordered!

• Gav says:

I had a similar smiths experience in that vign store in brum when how soon is now was played one rainy afternoon – swear it stopped time and lots of hatful of hollow purchases followed

71. Andy says:

According to Amazon, the Deluxe 3CD / 1 DVD Box set – housed in a lift off lid box with a stapled 12pg booklet. Still I’ve wet myself over this anyway.

72. Joel Swaney says:

I pre-ordered on Amazon.de and the price dropped to 67 Euro at purchase.

73. Markyp says:

I think it’s a shame that the premium product here, the vinyl box set, doesn’t come with the DVD (?)
    So I have to buy both sets,or do without the DVD.
    I’m disappointed with that to be honest.

74. Markyp says:

That’s the reason I haven’t ordered Misplaced really as I have the original vinyl and cd issues already.
    The Smiths I have nothing of at the moment ( although I have all Morrisseys’ stuff) and have ordered the LP box. It looks really good value for me , I would pay more if it came with the DVD!

75. Gary C says:

A Ziggy Stardust reissued vinyl came with a DVD audio a few years back, but never heard of any other DVD’s being included with vinyl.
    Think it was a Ken Scott remix, happy to be corrected

• hamicle says:

I have a vinyl copy of Talk Talk’s ‘Spirit of Eden’ that came with a DVD of the audio.

• Gary C says:

Oh yeah, I have that too…thanks for the reminder

• EffervescingWildly says:

Ah ‘hamicle’ now that sounds brilliant ‘Spirit of Eden’ & ‘Laughing Stock’ really are otherwordly (of which we got glimpses on ‘The Colour of Spring’). The Smiths are my faves and I am so happy to have this reissue. Really looking forward to the Boston show as well as the DVD. I’d like to see them do this with all of their albums, but include a live concert footage on DVD as well. Someone get in touch with Grant Showbiz.

VivaSmiths

76. jules says:

My favorite album of all time. Nothing beats it. I love Meat Is Murder (especially the song MIM), but TQID was quite simply brilliant. When it was released in ’86 I was stuck on the opening track for a week. I couldn’t believe how absurd and laughable the lyrics were. As for the music / guitar playing – pure genius. The rest of the album is just as magical. Every song is a treasure. Anyone who thinks otherwise well, as Morrissey says…”by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed.”

77. Charlie D says:

Anyone know if the DVD is DVD-A so you can play it in *some* cars?
    Sometimes (aka pink Floyd division bell) wont play in cars (Honda/acura) that can play dvd-a
    audi/Volvo seems to have good compatibility

78. Two1twelve says:

…double pack with a photograph, extra track and a tacky badge…

79. Ian McJannet says:

Please, Please, Please, Let me get what I want
    5 L.P. sets of their debut AND Hatful of Hollow !!!!!
    BRING IT ON

80. Albert Tatlock says:

The Smiths were arguably at their live peak in 86. The blistering version of ‘Panic’ on The Tube (with Mike Joyce’s ‘glam rock’ drums intro) stays fresh in the memory. Loads of stuff was recorded around this time, but it doesn’t look like any of it will appear in this reissue.

And they could also include alternate artwork. Like the original George Best ‘The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’ cover.

• MDE says:

The Smiths in 1986 as a five piece were not ‘The Smiths’. I appreciate the sound needed beefing up a bit, but they were our Beatles, not The Rolling Stones. I’d managed to see them in April 85, but refused point blank to see them with Craig Gannon. It’s not a decision I regret at all. However the last Brixton gig still rankles a bit.

As for this release, it’ll do I guess. Not a huge fan of demos etc, but with Morrissey around I guess you have to be grateful for anything you can get.

• Albert Tatlock says:

I agree about Gannon. It was like when Steve Marriott wanted Peter Frampton in Small Faces. As the saying goes, ‘There are but four Small Faces’. And there were four Smiths.

Gannon joining the band was probably one of Morrissey’s whims

81. truthsayer says:

I used to like The Smiths, I have all the original LPs but now I cannot stand to listen to that whining, moaning, groaning, miserable git. OOAA

82. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 22 July 2017 | superdeluxeedition

83. Stefan says:

The Amazon.de prices for the three releases have all changed a little bit – surprisingly in both directions!

84. Steven C says:

So happy about this. And thanks, as usual, Paul. Praying the DVD is NTSC so it works in the US, but otherwise, ordered the 5LP set and waiting on the CD/DVD set to see if I should get it from a US retailer for more money, or if the UK edition works here. Interesting Marr story. Earlier this year, Johnny Marr did a sit down book tour interview in San Francisco. I was row 6 center. It was great.

At the end of the interview, he took audience questions. Most of which were annoyingly about “OMG, what if you bump into Morrissey in public or at an awards show?!” or “Why don’t you re-form for Coachella?!”, he was also asked about additional tapes in a vault. To which he replied “There really aren’t. We made a lot of music for the short time we were together and what wasn’t on the albums were used for b-sides, etc.” (paraphrasing).

My FAVORITE question was:
    “Did you ever give Morrissey a tape for him to put lyrics to and when you got it back, you were disappointed?”

He chuckles, stands up, and puts on his signature Fender Jaguar guitar. He starts playing “Some Girls are Bigger than Others.”
    “Ain’t that beautiful?.. the theme and the words were shit. Sorry…”
    Crowd erupts in laughter.

Was my highlight of the night.

By the way, about the Morrissey questions, his answer was “Morrissey is an old friend. We aren’t rivals. If I ran into him, we’d probably have a chat. Big deal. As far as reforming, you all really need to carry on with your lives. It doesn’t make sense to reform and you have some great music at your fingertips. You really need to move on though.”

The above is paraphrasing but accurate as possible.

85. Tracey says:

Thanks for sharing Steven C. Quite humorous.

86. colin says:

Amazon UK Price gone up from £25.43 when it was announced to £31.99 – May rise again before release date – or come down again. Glad I ordered it already. Will be the best SDE release this year – and there’s been/going to be quite a few decent ones!

87. Neil says:

If i recall correctly The Smiths Complete box set was cheaper than this when first released.

• Gav says:

Not the big massive set? It was always around the £199 mark – I know as I preordered it on announcement- worth a pretty penny now and a thing of beauty

• Samppa says:

I just so wish that I could have gotten that big set for that little price.
        Now it seems that the price then £199 was real bargain given to the contents.
        To be honest, I have known The Smiths always (since I started to listen to music in my childhood in the 80’s), but unfornately I finally got to them seriously around the time the remasters were issued in 2011. But that big set was already sold out from everywhere.
        Nowadays it seems to be priced from around £400-£550 atleast..

I only have that 8cd complete boxset, but gonna get some vinyl-reissues or originals next, unless I can find the big set cheap someday.

• Neil says:

I was talking about the 8cd box set it was round about the £27 mark when it was first released.

88. Jan says:

Do we know how many of the vinyl box Warners are pressing?

89. Pingback:The Smiths, The Flamin’Groovies et du jazz : notre sélection musicale – KelNews

90. Tracey Spivey says:

It looks like Warner Bros is going to release a live version of each track off of TQID on each Monday prior to the release of the forthcoming SDE. These tracks are not going to appear on TQID SDE. The first one up is TQID from Laguna Hills, CA on 28 August 1986. Interesting to note that a (near?) complete soundboard recording of this gig has been in circulation amongst traders for years now.

91. Andy says:

Where do you find the link for the live material to be issued?

92. Mike Melody says:

£29.99 at base.com at the moment

93. Mike Melody says:

…sorry meant 27.99 at base.com

94. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 19 August 2017 | superdeluxeedition

95. Adey says:

There are “extra” tracks, that aren’t going tobe in the boxset, which are available from various download retailers. Apparently they’re releasing one track a week until release date.
    I was holding off as i didn’t want poor sq drm infested rubbish from itunes, but I’ve just noticed that 7digital now have the tracks in flac format.

96. Pingback:Prince / 4EVER: 4LP vinyl box | superdeluxeedition

97. Pat Neligan says:

I wonder about the value of these multi-disc vinyl releases. I bought the recent Joshua Tree and OK Computer boxes (the albums were wrapped separately) – but listened to the new remasters and outtakes on Deezer/Qobuz. I love vinyl, but I can’t see when I would find time to listen to several sides of outtakes. That’s ok for driving or walking around or whatever. So, presumably, most of us, who already own a couple of vinyl copies of “The Queen is Dead” – end up buying the box-set, opening it, listening to it once, and then sticking it up in the attic will all of the other gigantic box sets (Neil Young archives 1 being the worst), that you never listen to, but hope accrue value. I thing I will pass on the box and download the 24/96 version on Qobuz – which will cost 10 or 12 euro.