The Style Council’s ‘Modernism: A New Decade’ to get an vinyl release in Sep

Amazon in the UK have a listing for a vinyl reissue of The Style Council‘s unreleased final album Modernism: A New Decade.

The house-influenced long-player was famously rejected by Polydor in 1989 and didn’t see the light of day until 1998 when it was included on The Complete Adventures of The Style Council box set. At that time, there were some limited pressings of promotional vinyl editions of the Modernism album and these now command high prices on the used market.

You may have noticed that Universal have recently announced vinyl reissues of Introducing The Style Council and Café Bleu, so even though there is no official announcement, a reissue of Modernism: A New Decade on vinyl makes sense. Confessions Of A Pop Group looks to be coming out at the same time.

Modernism… will be a 2LP set while Confessions Of A Pop Group will be pressed on one record. They will both be released on 15 September 2017.

0602557341225

The Style Council

Modernism: A New Decade [VINYL]

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 27.99

0602557341218

The Style Council

Confessions Of A Pop Group [VINYL]

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 20.99

20 responses to The Style Council’s ‘Modernism: A New Decade’ to get an vinyl release in Sep

1. Auntie Sabrina says:

Yes, it’s now a double vinyl for those of us who like to shake our money-makers as it were…

2. Dave H says:

The Modernism album is of it’s time. 1989 house music and it’s very reminiscent of that time period with synth drum and bass. If you list the best to worst Style Council albums it’ll probably be placed at the bottom, not because it’s that bad but because it’s a radical change in the style of music that fans of the Style Council were used to.

Polydor rejected it at the time but it should have been released but not under the Style Council banner. If you enjoy 80’s house music, you’ll enjoy this album.

The good news is after this album, Weller picked up his guitar again and found his mojo with his solo albums in the 90’s.

3. Paul Kent says:

Probably the only point in his career when you can safely say Weller was ahead of his time. If Polydor had waited literally months, this would likely have been a huge seller. Not my bag, at all, if I’m honest, but it was certainly a brave move.

4. Trash says:

I’ll probably pick it up but only for completeness as I have all the other SC albums on vinyl.
    Definitely not essential listening… (has to be admired for it’s bravery at the time though).

• Trash says:

P.S. Confessions is my favourite SC album and one of Paul Weller’s best albums too! My original passing was on pretty lightweight vinyls and the album is quite long so the quality was never great. Looking forward to this opportunity to replace it.

Thanks Paul (SDE Paul that is :-)

• Paul Kent says:

I’m with you, Trash – Jam, TSC or solo, Confessions is one of Weller’s finest pieces of work.

5. Alan Jones says:

The Cost of Loving is also being re-released on vinyl too Paul. The Style Council and Cafe Bleu are also in purple and blue vinyl respectively but no mention so far if the same approach will be adopted for the other releases and no mention of My Favourite Shop up to now.

6. Kevin Thomas says:

I wouldn’t give 29p for ‘Modernism – A New D_head.’ £29 – LOL. By a country mile, this is the lowest point of Weller’s career. Thankfully Polydor had the sense to refuse to release it back in 1989. An absolutely terrible album. Hard to believe the magnificent ‘Wild Wood’ was only 4 years after this debacle. An album that if I heard it once again in the next 30 years would be too soon. Credit to Weller for being able to put this load of tosh behind him and regain his credibility.

7. Andreas says:

Polydor rejecting this low of all lows is the best thing (no pun intended) that ever happened to Mr Weller.

8. Paul kennedy says:

Weller at his Modernist best !!! I will defo be buying this….

9. mike says:

Its a great album, open your ears people and definitely better than at least half of his canon.

10. the changing man says:

I went to see The Style Council at the Royal Albert Hall in 1989 with a friend who had never seen either The Jam or The Style Council before. I has been lucky enough to see both them numerous times as Paul Weller was and still is my favourite artist of all time. He was very excited as the show was called (I think!) The Style Council Revue (sic).
    It was without doubt the very worst Weller concert I have ever been to; rather than a revue it was a collection of poor house tracks with little to no tracks from his Style Council catalogue played.
    From what I can remember he spent most if not all the gig bouncing around the stage in a t shirt and multi coloured beach shorts.
    We left before the end and that is the only time I have every left a gig before it finished.
    Looking (listening) back on this album it isn’t as bad as what I thought it was at the time. And he certainly was brave to record and intend on releasing something so radically different to not only what he had previously released but also so contrary to what his fan base like me would have wanted him to have done…! Having said that… as other responses have said….I have to agree that this was not one of his “finest” moments..!

11. Aevion says:

I must admit I’m well and truly on the fence with Modernism. While I love some of the tracks (their cover of Promised Land and Everybody’s On the Run), to me its not a Style Council album, but rather something that should’ve been under a different name.

I think it was a rather brave move to make such an album during that time, as not many mainstream groups were making this sort of music and having success with it (in saying that The Blow Monkeys did alright with their short-lived house/dance stint).

I love Paul’s more experimental work just as much as everything else he’s done, such as Sonik Kicks and the Saturns Peaks EP, and to me Modernism fits in with those more left-field projects. I’d love to see a proper reissue for Modernism, along with the rest of the SC albums.

12. michal says:

yes yes yes – other titles by the style council are having vinyl reincarnations as well (well at least according to amazon.co.uk). btw, the style council – for me it was PW at his peak. ‘Our Favourite Shop” is a “Revolver” of the 80s. I’m still astonished that English audience is still so much reluctant to appreciate that period of Weller’s career. In the last mojo (or uncut) there is a list of (allegedly) 40 best tracks ever written by PW and only 5 of them belongs to the Style Council’s years. SHOCKING !!!

• Trash says:

The Style Council is definitely my favourite period in Weller’s career – despite the continuing quality of recent albums, the first clutch of solo albums and Jam highlights like Sound Affects. In fact I only got into the Jam because I thought Our Favourite Shop was so good when it was released (I’d previously dismissed Weller as being a bit too ‘angry young man’ for my tastes despite some admittedly excellent singles by the Jam).

Listening to Our Favourite Shop at a friends house I was surprised at how experimental it was, in terms of trying different styles and instrumentation, as well as having really strong melodies throughout (give or take a ‘Stand Up Comic’s Instructions’ or two). And of course being a student during Thatcher’s Britain I really appreciated the political stance too!

I also defy anyone to listen ‘A Man of Great Promise’, Weller’s paean to his dead friend, and not be moved.

For me though ‘Confessions…’ is even better – successfully combining elements of pop, R&B, synthpop and classical. The first side features some wonderful piano-led songs with superb vocal arrangements (Weller’s duets with DC Lee are one of the high points on this album).

He’s no Bowie but give the man credit for constantly pushing forward and not allowing himself to stagnate. He’s certainly created a wealth of excellent work.

13. Steve Miller says:

I just got an email from recordstore.co.uk and it has coloured vinyl editions of Confessions, Modernism, TCOL, and Our Favourite Shop. I know people might steer clear of them after the OKNOTOK debacle, but the prices seem to be comparable to Amazon…

14. Nigel D Day says:

Confessions is a brilliant, crazy thing. I’ll definitely be picking that up. That suite on Side 1 > Wow.

The others. Hmmm. Might get Shop.

15. Nigel D Day says:

Are these remastered BTW ?

16. Stephen E Cohen says:

“Modernism: A New Decade” is the only original album from The Style Council that I have neither owned nor heard. In fact, I did not even know it existed until about 5 years after its release. American exposure to The Style Council was quite limited after “Our Favourite Shop”, which was titled as “Internationalists” over here. Without knowing the tracks of “Modernism”, with the exception of “Everybody’s On The Run”, I found it very unwise to lay down 80.00-90.00 on this one cd, especially after reading the harsh reviews. I will peruse the price of the record, but I REALLY would love an affordable version of the compact disc (brand new). Thankfully I was aware of “Confessions Of A Pop Group” upon its release, and snapped it up immediately!