The Waterboys / Out Of All This Blue

The Waterboys will release a brand new studio album, Out Of All This Blue, in September. It’s a double album and their first for BMG Records, with whom they recently signed.

The 23-track long-player has been produced by Mike Scott and is available as a two-CD or 2LP vinyl set, however deluxe editions are available for both formats with the three-CD and triple vinyl sets offering a bonus disc of extra songs, alternate mixes and instrumentals.

Speaking about the new album, Mike Scott said “Out Of All This Blue is 2/3 love and romance, 1/3 stories and observations. I knew from the beginning I wanted to make a double album, and lucky for me – and I hope the listener – the songs just kept coming, and in pop colours.”

Out Of All This Blue is released on 8 September 2017. The Waterboys will be playing a few festivals this summer and will undertake a short UK tour in October.

4050538306873

4. If the Answer Is Yeah
5. Love Walks In
6. New York I Love You
7. The Connemara Fox
8. The Girl in the Window Chair
9. Morning Came Too Soon
10. Hiphopstrumental 4 (Scatman)

Disc: 2
10. Didn’t We Walk on Water
11. The Elegant Companion
12. Yamaben
13. Payo Payo Chin

Disc: 3
1. The Memphis Fox
2. If the Answer Is Yeah (Alternate Version)
3. If I Was Your Boyfriend (Zeenie Mix)
4. Epiphany on Mott Street
5. Didn’t We Walk on Water (JessKav Mix)
6. Santa Fe (Instrumental)
7. Payo Payo Chin (Tokyo Hotel)
8. Return to Roppongi Hills
9. Nashville, Tennessee (Live)
10. Mister Charisma (Alternate Version)
11. So in Love with You

20 responses to The Waterboys / Out Of All This Blue

1. CJ Feeney says:

I got their last album on vinyl, and it had a terrible edit – the intro to “long strange golden road” was at the end of side two and the song proper was on side three. Not only different sides, but different discs! I hope BMG have better quality control.

2. Chris Lancaster says:

If you order direct from the Waterboys official site then you get a lyric folio and/or photo signed by Mike, which for me was sufficient incentive to buy direct, rather than from Amazon. Plus there’s a deal to save money if you buy both the CD and vinyl versions; you get the triple CD, triple vinyl, signed photo and signed folio for a total of £40 plus P&P.

I am slightly concerned by the press release for the album — this mentions that the songs are “underpinned by modern hip-hop rhythms” — but at least nothing The Waterboys have ever done has been boring. Other than the Universal Hall album, which was the only one of their albums that I haven’t played incessantly for weeks after its release.

• Graham says:

You can listen to the first single on the official website now. It is indeed quite ‘funky’ – ok on first listen but I am sure it will grow on me.

• Tom of FIN says:

LOL, “modern hiphop rhythms” indeed not very convincing considering mr. Scott’s line and body of work so far.

The first single “The Answer Is Yeah” not that bad anyways, although sort of calculative.

3. Boaz Halachmi says:

Signed exclusives available at the official store:

4. Richard Anderson says:

I bought this earlier in the week through the Waterboys website. There is a £40 bundle for triple vinyl, triple cd, signed folio of 10 lyric sheets and signed print which I thought was good value. £7 postage for the bundle.

5. RJS says:

“with the three-CD and triple vinyl sets offering a bonus disc of extra songs, alternate mixes and instrumentals”

I hope the 3 disc Super Deluxe Edition has been remastered!!

6. truthsayer says:

Ordered 3LP & 3CD from The Waterboys site. RJS, why `remastered` it`s not yet been released?!?!

7. Mic Smith says:

Ordered this a while back from their official site – been a fan since 1983 and the first single. Seeing them in October. One of my favourite bands and not a nostalgia trip. Modern Blues was a great record!

8. William_M says:

Well seeing he’s just got married again, the muse is flowing like pish as they say, Looking forward to this but i prefer Mr Scott when he’s angry or falling out of love, not all lovey dovey. However he is one of the most underrated lyricists of our era.

9. WILLIAM ENGLAND says:

It rather looks like BMG have been shopping recently – the Waterboys and Boy George with new record contracts – I wonder if anyone else has been snapped up?

• Derek Langsford says:

Gary Numan also recently signed and his new album “Savage” is out on BMG in September.

10. tom says:

Why is hip hop still classed as modern? It is 30 odd tears old.

• Truthsayer says:

30 years old? Bollocks! When did Bob Dylan release”Subterranean Homesick Blues”? About 1964, if there are earlier examples of this ‘Hippotty Hoppitty’ I’ll concede.

So this ‘Hoppitty Hip-potty’ is at least 53 years old.

11. tom says:

*Years!!

• Tom of FIN says:

There are of course “conservative hiphop rhythms” also already, because that old genre. “Postmodern hiphop beats” is the next evolutionary step.

12. Wayne Klein says:

Hopefully Mike will let the mastering engineer do a decent job. The last couple of albums were hardly audiophile quality.

13. Paul E. says:

I don’t mind the new single at all. The last hip-hop-Irish themed single I recall purchasing was the horrid Wyclef Jean / Bono “New Day” disaster. The only saving grace was that a bit of the proceeds went to charity.