The Who / My Generation Mono CD mastering query

The Who / My Generation UK mono master tape

The tape used for the new Mono CD of My Generation – click to enlarge

We’ve had a few questions about the mastering of forthcoming issue of The Who‘s My Generation Mono CD.

As some of you will be aware the original UK mono mix is previously unissued on CD outside of Japan, where it was included on a pricey box set and as a standalone CD with bonus tracks back in 2008. The mastering used in Japan was by Jon Astley, from Shel Talmy’s original mono tapes.

Universal Music have confirmed that this is NOT Jon Astley’s remaster and so will be different to what appeared on those Japanese releases. This new release appears to be a new remaster, with the tapes from Universal’s tape library ‘baked’ recently for the playback and mastering process. We can exclusively reveal that the image above is one of the actual tapes used for this new mono CD, although it is not yet clear who did the new remastering.

From the image we can see that this tape was created 32 years ago (almost to the day!) and is a copy, rather than the very original master tape.

The Who / My Generation mono CD is out on 19 November 2012 and is available to pre-order (in the UK) for only £5.00.

9 responses to The Who / My Generation Mono CD mastering query

1. pablo scouse says:

A Great Brit Classic in ANY form Mono or Stereo for me ! But Like The Genius that is — Phil Spector Said ” Back to Mono ” -I went for the Beatles masters Box Set in mono + this would also be very Welcome –Long Live rock + the Mighty Who !

2. RoyalScam says:

A COPY?! They couldn’t (or didn’t) get their hands on the actual master?!

Apparently not. Who knows, maybe the master is in a bad way or not accessible to them at present. At £5 in the UK, a compromise I’m willing to accept.

3. bob says:

Pretty pointless . That pictured Tape is a copy of a vinyl DISC! Transfer that was used for the Virgin Records Vinyl reissue! It is insane that they would use this instead of a MASTER TAPE!

What do you mean “a copy of a vinyl disc”? Are you suggesting the source for this tape is an original vinyl mono LP?

4. Luke says:

It is doubtful that tape is a copy of an LP; it is likely a copy of a production copy, made for the Phases box set.

It is unclear why these tapes would be used. The first generation mono masters were transferred to 24/96 when the Classic Records LP was mastered, and have been used since. The latest SHM CD set from Japan is essentially a straight issue of those transfers. Even if there’s some reason those analog masters couldn’t be used again, there’s no reason why they 24/96 transfers couldn’t be used.

On the other hand, this will be at least 2 generations away from the masters.

5. Tim says:

So far I own the paper sleeve edition and the Japanese box. I wonder if this is worth buying? Live at Hull is coming, too, but that’s in the Leeds box, so I can’t really justify that purchase unless there is more on there.

6. Pingback:Informatie over mono "My Generation" « Fragments - The Who In Nederland