The Who / “Quadrophenia: Live in London” box offers 5.1 studio album

box_metal2

In June this year The Who will release Quadrophenia Live In London a 2013 concert of their 1973 album performed in its entirety (along with some greatest hits). The release will be available on DVD and Blu-ray (both with 5.1 audio) as well as a two-CD version.

headlightOf interest to Who fans and collectors will be a special 5-disc deluxe metal box set version of Quadrophenia Live In London which gathers all the formats together (Blu-ray, DVD and 2CD) and (wait for it…) adds a hi-res 5.1 Surround Sound blu-ray audio disc of the entire 1973 studio album. This is the very first timethis has been released – the 2011 Director’s Cut box set only offered a small selection of Quadrophenia tracks in 5.1. Extras in this new box include a six-inch Mod Headlight sticker, a Mod Headlight button, and a booklet with liner notes and photos, all housed in a 10-inch metal container embossed with the movie-inspired, iconic, Mod bullseye logo painted on a Vespa SG scooter headlight.

The good news is that if you don’t want all that paraphernalia, the 1973 studio version of Quadrophenia in 5.1 (via blu-ray audio) is also available separately.

Quadrophenia Live in London (in all formats) and the Quadrophenia 1973 studio album 5.1 blu-ray audio are released on 9 June 2014. Virtually no UK pre-orders at the moment, but this will be updated as and when.

box_metal2

Quadrophenia Live in London 5-disc Deluxe Metal box
(contains 5.1 blu-ray of 1973 studio album)

quad_cover

Quadrophenia 1973 studio album 5.1 Blu-ray Audio (Pure Audio)

dvd

Quadrophenia Live in London Blu-ray

Quadrophenia Live in London DVD

live_in_london

Quadrophenia Live in London 2CD

Track listing

Quadrophenia Live in London (All formats except 1973 version)

• I Am The Sea

• Who Are You
  • You Better You Bet
  • Pinball Wizard
  • Baba O’Riley
  • Won’t Get Fooled Again
  • Tea & Theatre

Quadrophenia 1973 studio album in 5.1 (blu-ray audio)

• I Am The Sea
  • Sea And Sand
  • Drowned
  • Bell Boy
  • Doctor Jimmy
  • The Rock
  • Love Reign O’er Me

36 responses to The Who / “Quadrophenia: Live in London” box offers 5.1 studio album

1. Chris says:

All I can say about this is: it’s ABOUT TIME!

2. Michel says:

good to know that the bluray from the the Original 1973 album is seperatly available !!!

3. Wazza says:

Bring it on

4. Anna says:

Have you got a proper link for the pre-order Blu-Ray Pure Audio of the original studio album? (The one above goes to the live version.)

That link is correct. There is no blu-ray audio of the live version (just a normal blu-ray). Amazon basically have mis-labelled, this IS the studio blu-ray audio. It cannot be anything else.

5. Andy says:

Comprehensive and well presented.

6. Joe says:

Buying the CD, Blu-ray film and Blu-ray audio discs separately will work out about £40 cheaper than buying the box unless the box drops dramatically in price.

7. karl probst says:

Seems like a ripoff to me compared to the Director’s cut which included so much more. IAlso it was not originally recorded in 5.1 so it’s manipulated and not true 5.1. Not interested at all.

• Robert van Diggele says:

Hi Karl, nothing is recorded in 5.1 (except perhaps for a tiny fraction of releases).

Surround releases are mixed into 5.1, just as stereo releases are mixed into 2.0. In that way, every release is “manipulated”.

It could be that multi tracks are missing and that a surround mix is derived from a stereo source, this is upmixing and that is what one can call manipulating. But either way, true surround mixing or upmixing, both can be very much fun to listen to.

8. eric slangen says:

@Karl,

some people are never satisfied. I’m really glad it finally comes out and it will be sold seperate.

9. Anna says:

Cheers for the clarification, Paul. Amazon getting something wrong…imagine that! :)

In fact, there’s now a discussion board at that link that verifies that it will indeed be the studio album. But have Amazon bothered to change the description? Erm…no.

10. Zongadude says:

Are you sure the Blu-Ray (Pure Audio) standalone edition is in 5.1 and not just the stereo mix in hires ? This series (Pure Audio) has been known for having a stereo-only policy. (So far…)

11. Dextercat says:

From past experience i wouldnt trust amazon to send such a pricy metal boxset without it arriving full of dents and dings all over it!

12. HY says:

Mixed feelings – because I bought the Director’s cut mainly for incomplete (only 8 tracks) 5.1ch mix. Does Blu-ray contain all newly remixed surround mixes? Or just the rest of Director’s cut are remixed this time?

The pure audio Blu-ray contains the entire ’73 album mixed into hi-res 5.1. So not just ‘the rest’. You can either buy the blu-ray separately (not to be confused with the “live in london” concert film blu-ray) or it is also in the metal box set. Hope that helps.

13. Zongadude says:

Thank you for all your answers.

14. Pingback:Media over touraankondiging | Fragments

15. Phil says:

Fantastic news. Hoping this will sparkle in 5.1, well done to those who have made it available separately.

16. Steven O'Connor says:

@Anna

If the Amazon system is the same for music as it is for ebooks (and I would imagine it is), then it is the producer of the product who inputs the information about the product, not Amazon, making the blu-ray audio info an error by the record company. Luckily we have Paul to chase down the correct info. :)

17. Michael1984 says:

Someone tell me why the full LP wasn’t in 5.1 on the Director’s Cut box set? Oh yeah, b/c they want us to buy Quadrophenia again….no thanks.

18. Pingback:The Who / Quadrophenia Live in London super deluxe available in UK | superdeluxeedition

19. LedMan says:

Paul has it been confirmed that the Blu-Ray 1973 studio album will be available in 5.1 only or will there also be a 2.0 stereo option? I have nothing against 5.1 but prefer when the “HFPA” discs include both listening options.

I’m pretty sure there will be a stereo version as well. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of these Pure Audio discs with just 5.1. Will try and get a categorical answer though.

• LedMan says:

Thanks Paul. I was under the impression that The Who “Tommy” Pure Audio disc was in 5.1 only. If that’s not the case then eventually I will order it.

20. john oaks says:

From pure audio web site – 2

It seems that only 7 songs are in 5.1 on the HFPA blu-ray. The same songs appearing in the director cut deluxe package published in 2011. Beware.

21. peter zacharias says:

Paul, have you actually got the boxset and seen,heard that the 1973 is truely completely in 5.1 as you have stated?
    Sure hope so as have preorder in based on this information.

No I haven’t got the box set yet, but given that only 7 or 8 tracks were on the Director’s Cut box and Universal have explicitly stated that the new box will have a blu-ray with the whole of the album in 5.1, I don’t know why you’re worried!?

• peter zacharias says:

Thanks Paul, lets go with that. My concern was more to do with the track record of some past messup’s with record companies saying one thing and then when you finally get the product it’s something other than advertised or anticipated.
        If they made a true complete 5.1 from the original multitracks then I will be very happy as well as other Who fans and surround music fan’s.

22. Haze says:

Universal’s Pure Audio shop now has all tracks listed as 5.1 mix. It is also £4 cheaper than Amazon

23. Roby says:

On amazon.it the Super Deluxe Edition Box is only € 86,63

24. Rich says:

Super deluxe edition is £64.23 on UK Amazon at this moment (Sat 14th June 10.30am). It had previously been £101 and is even lower than the £69 pre-order price.

25. joe says:

sadly, Zak (main drummer) doesn’t appear on this CD/DVD/Bluray…the (roger solo band) drummer is not up to par at all and I was let down, glad I only bought the basic blu ray of the show.