The Wonder Of You: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

elvis_wonder

Follow up to I Can Dream comes in box set form

With last year’s If I Can Dream Elvis release – which saw The King’s vocal performances set to lush Orchestral backing – selling upwards of a million copies in the UK alone, it was surely inevitable that Sony would commission a prompt follow-up. That arrives in December with The Wonder Of You, a similar set recorded with an The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road, spanning a variety of musical styles that Elvis embraced, from rock and gospel to country and ballads.

This features Presley classics such as Suspicious Minds,  A Big Hunk O’ Love, Amazing Grace, Kentucky Rain and Always On My Mind.

ificandream

If I Can Dream sold 1m copies

The Wonder Of You is also available in box set form. This deluxe box edition of the album features a CD with two additional bonus tracks (three are being reported by some, but its seems that Just Pretend is already labelled as a ‘bonus track’ on the standard edition, hence the confusion) and the gatefold double vinyl album (150g pressings). You also get a poster “suitable for framing” (are any posters unsuitable for framing?) and a 12-page booklet. All that lot comes housed in a 12″ x 12″ lift-off lid box.

Not perhaps a special edition to get too excited about, but on the other hand it does appear to be the only way to get those couple of bonus tracks physically, and at £25.99 (at the time of writing) it’s only carries a £1 premium over buying the standard CD and vinyl separately. This price is considerably cheaper than the $150 being asked by the official Elvis shop!

The Wonder Of You is released on 2 December 2016.

Elvis Presley

track_listing

Standard version

A Big Hunk O’ Love
I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby
Suspicious Minds
Don’t
I Just Can’t Help Believin’
Just Pretend
Love Letters
Amazing Grace
Starting Today
Kentucky Rain
Memories
Let It Be Me
Always On My Mind
The Wonder Of You
BONUS TRACK:
Just Pretend [duet with Helene Fischer]

Deluxe bonus tracks
You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me
You Gave Me a Mountain

16 responses to The Wonder Of You: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

1. Willy says:

I’d love for the next project to be Elvis’s astonishingly heavenly Gospel recordings given the orchestral (with choir) treatment. That would be something. Sacrilege to some maybe but I’d be in.

2. christopher hopkins says:

Scraping the barrel now, I have no problem with re-works or overdubs if the originals had defects but this is just an ego trip by the producers.

3. Jake says:

You gave me a Mountain is in the main tracklisting already, it’s not a bonus track too. The correct bonus track is Love Letters.

(A Big Hunk O’ Love vocal is from Aloha warm up show 12.1.73, not the 50’s single)

Okay, that was a mistake. You Gave Me A Mountain isn’t in the main track listing. Love Letters isn’t a bonus track. I’m going by the official Legacy press release, where are you getting your information from?

• Jake says:

I’m probably confusing myself on the tracklisting. Yours is different from any other I’ve seen (?). Eg Amazon has:

You Gave Me a Mountain
        Let It Be Me
        The Wonder of You

As the last 3 tracks and no Love Letters

So my reply made no sense (not for the first time) as I was referring to a tracklist that you hadn’t shown. Maybe the tracks are in flux still, or were until recently.

4. tim says:

There is a US cd release of this, too, which is not listed above. I don’t have the space for more vinyl…

5. Robert Fitzpatrick says:

I wish edge of reality was on this release.

6. Brian says:

I just hope they dont one day start doing this with Bowie’s back catalogue.

7. Paul Murphy says:

You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, or an unreleased album by its track list, but it is hard to see this being anything less than the law of diminishing returns. The first set was led by a pretty spectacular ‘Burning Love’, but swiftly fell away as most of the tracks on it either were not enhanced by having an orchestra on them, or didn’t need one [‘In The Ghetto’ had that astonishing string section on already, and was pretty much as near perfect as an Elvis recording got, ‘An American Trilogy’, which was already loaded with several kitchen sinks, just ended up sounding like an audio albino]. This latest effort does not seem likely to yield any surprises, although I am quite happy to be proven wrong. Personally, if they are going to strip all the music away and let the voice loose, I’d rather they went really offcentre – Cook and Jones, Grohl and Novoselic, Page, Beck ………… [insert own dream name].

8. Andy says:

To sell over a million copies of something these days is simply incredible! Go Elvis!

9. Nass Khan says:

Instead of the classical treatment, how about Elvis music teamed with Jimmy Page , Bonham Junior , Jones or Pistols Cook Jones Matlock or Ron Wood , Kenny Jones , Matlock or Paul, Topper & Mick Jones.

Actually any decent band who had a Jones in it

10. elliott buckingham says:

the last elvis release I enjoyed was the viva elvis set

11. Paul says:

This is super heavy on 1968 and later, but maybe these tracks are best suited for this kind of project. I have to look again, but I think the first set also featured later Elvis recordings.