The Yardbirds / Live and Rare 4CD+DVD

Early next year, Repertoire Records will issue Live and Rare a new five-disc Yardbirds box set

The 4CD+DVD package includes 21 previously unreleased ‘off-air’ BBC recordings, live performances from across Europe and rare studio cuts. It also comes with a (region-free) DVD that includes 14 ‘restored’ live performances from archival sources from the BBC, ITV and French and German TV.

The discs are packaged in gatefold card wallets and each features sleeve notes by Chris Welch. The box also includes a 36-page mini-book with a new essay by Mike Stax.

Live and Rare will be issued on 22 February 2019.

The Yardbirds

Live & Rare (4 CD / 1 DVD Limited Edition Boxset with 36 Page Mini Book )

CD 1
1. Train Kept A-Rollin?
2. Shapes of Things
3. Over Under Sideways Down (Tracks 1-3 , Live on French TV Music Hall De France, 27 June 1966)
4. Questa Volta
5. Paff Bum (Tracks 4-5 , Live at Sanremo Music Festival, 27-28 January 1966 )
6. Great Shakes 7. Maclean?s Toothpaste (Tracks 6-7 , Commercials )
7. Maclean?s Toothpaste (Tracks 6-7 , Commercials )
8. Train Kept A-Rollin? (Tracks 8-9 , Live at the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert, Wembley, UK 1 May 1966 )
9. Shapes of Things
10. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (Single A-side)
11. Psycho Daisies (Single B-side)
12. Stroll On (From ?Blow-Up?) (Tracks 10-12 , The Yardbirds 1966 Mono Recordings)
13. Mr. Zero (Single A-side)
14. Knowing (Single B-side)
15. Shapes In My Mind (Single A-side)
16. Blue Sands (Single B-side)
17. Shapes In My Mind (Alternate Version) (Tracks 13-17 , Keith Relf 1966 Mono Recordings)

CD 2
1. Shapes of Things
2. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago
3. Over, Under, Sideways, Down
4. I?m A Man (Tracks 1-4 , Live on German TV Beat! Beat! Beat! 15 March 1967)
5. Shapes of Things
6. Heart Full Of Soul
7. You’re A Better Man Than I
8. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I?ll Go Mine)
9. Over, Under, Sideways, Down
10. Little Games
11. My Baby
12. I’m A Man(Tracks 5-12 , Live at Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 4 April 1967)

CD 3
1. Interview: Jimmy Page talks about touring
2. Goodnight Sweet Josephine
3. My Baby
4. Think About It
5. White Summer (Instrumental)
6. Dazed And Confused
7. Think About It (Alternate Take) (Tracks 1-7 , Live at the BBC, recorded for Saturday Club at the Playhouse Theatre, Manchester, UK, 5-6 March 1968 )
8. The Train Kept A-Rollin?
9. Dazed And Confused
10. Goodnight Sweet Josephine (Tracks 8-10 , Live on French TV Bouton Rouge, 9 March 1968)

CD 4
1. Louise
2. I Wish You Would (Tracks 1-2 , Go Tell It On The Mountain, Recorded 5 April 1964)
3. Boom Boom
4. I’m A Man
5. Little Queenie
6. Too Much Monkey Business
7. Respectable
8. Carol
9. Here ’tis (Tracks 3-9 , Live at the 4th National Jazz & Blues Festival, 9 August 1964 )
10. I’m Not Talking (Tracks 10 , Saturday Club, 20 March 1965 )
11. Hush-A-Bye
12. I’m A Man

DVD

35 responses to The Yardbirds / Live and Rare 4CD+DVD

1. Harold X says:

I don’t know if anybody’s mentioned it yet, but the undubbed Anderson Theater material was released last year via Jimmy Page’s site.

2. Nick says:

Last year, Yardbirds ’68 was supposed to (finally) have Knowing that Im losing You, but we only got an instrumental. Has that track come out anywhere where we can get it with Keith’s vocal intact? The best Ive been able to locate is an mp3 file. I don’t see it here.

• Josh c says:

I have the full audio of knowing that i”m losing you with vocal…been traded by collectors for yesrs.
      Josh c.

3. Max says:

Also, a question to everybody. What’s this story of the new stash of Gomelsky tapes which have allegedly been found out? The story of these tapes has been going around for decades (in his wonderful book on the Yardbirds, Greg Russo says that the box of tapes is in some bank vault and left there for some legal dispute). Does anyone have any new, reliable information?

4. Max says:

Josh, yet *another* Yardbirds BBC CD set package??? There is a new one coming out ever two or three years…

5. bruce s kelso says:

hi here is the video that i have on the yardbirds.u.k tv 64/clapton 2 trax,shindig usa tv 3 trax, for your love promo,where the action is usa tv 3 trax , hullaballo a go go 1 track usa tv, nme pollwiners 2 trax,french tv ,66 2 trax beck,page=white suits,beat beat beat german tv 67 french tv 67 page 3 trax,page,upbeat usa tv 1 track page,baton rouge french tv 68 3 trax.does any one have any more to add?

• DW says:

The full DVD tracklist seems to be up on Amazon as:
      Disc: 5
      1. Louise
      2. I Wish You Would (Tracks 1-2 , Live on British TV Go Tell It On The Mountain, 22 July 1964)
      3. Train Kept A-Rollin’ (Edit)
      4. Shapes Of Things (Edit) (Tracks 3-4 , Live at the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert, Wembley, UK,1 May 1966)
      5. Train Kept A-Rollin
      6. Shapes of Things
      7. Over, Under, Sideways, Down (Tracks 5-7 , Live on French TV Music Hall De France, 27 June 1966 )
      8. Shapes Of Things
      9. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago
      10. Over, Under, Sideways, Down
      11. I’m A Man (Tracks 8-11, Live on German TV Beat! Beat! Beat!, 15 March 1967)
      12. Train Kept A-Rollin
      13. Dazed And Confused
      14. Goodnight Josephine (Tracks 12-14 , Live on French TV Bouton Rouge, 9 March 1968 )

Doesn’t look they included any US material

6. bruce kelso says:

does anyone have info on the dvd yet? i have bout a hour from u.k. tv ,shindig, ,red skelton u.s. tv show ,for your love promo , nme 65 poll winners show 3 songs,2 1964 clapton tracks , baton rouge 68 ,1967 beat club 4 tracks 67. i post what i have later.

• Colin Harper says:

You can work it out from the CD info, Bruce:

CD1: tracks 1-3, 8-9
      CD2: tracks 1-4
      CD3: tracks 8-10
      CD4: tracks 1-2

The only surprise, really, is that they haven’t added the BBC TV performance of ‘Over, Under, Sideways, Down’ from ‘Beat Room’ – which is occasionally shown on clip shows. I think Repertoire used the audio from it on a previous BBC set.

• bruce s kelso says:

hi colin, thanks so all i need this for is the 7 tracks from the national blues and jazz fest aug 9 64. wonder the the sound is like? i will pass on this as i have 9/10th of it.

7. J.W. says:

This question is for Phil Cohen:
    I trust your opinion and knowledge because you one of the few is unafraid to be critical and honest. Is the ten songs on the DVD really the only stuff on this box that has not been previously officially released??? I have all the box sets so far and all the c.d.s so I don’t want to shell out more of my hard earned money if that is all you get! Do you think they will release the DVD separately? What do those ten unreleased songs consist of in general? Thanks so much Phil for your always helpful comments.

8. Paul Wren says:

“Off air” – this means tape recordings made by people at home at the original point of broadcast that have somehow survived down the years. May be of inferior quality but what else can be done if the original BBC masters have been lost/erased?

• Colin Harper says:

Here are three tracks from the March 1968 Top Gear session – Think About It, White Summer and Dazed & Confused (with John Peel outro) – from an otherwise uncirculated reel I inherited a while back and digitised last year. It’s a different source from that used by Nigel Lees on his Top Sounds label’s (wholly legitimate) ‘Radio Thymes: British Pop on Radio and Tv 1967-69’ LP/CD, which featured two of the three. I’ve no idea if Repertoire have downloaded this source from my Soundcloud page, but they and the remaining members of the Yardbirds are welcome to it: https://soundcloud.com/colinh-1/top-gear-10368-yardbirds-3-songs

• Josh c says:

Colin…have you got full audio of the 3 bbc soundcloud tracks..i downoaded but mp3..
        Josh c

• Colin Harper says:

I think I uploaded them as WAV. Find me online and I’ll email you the WAVs and you can share with anyone else who’s interested.

9. Joe Mac Pherson says:

Once a year, at Christmas time, I treat myself to exactly ONE very special item. I just bought it. Total price, with shipping, to North Hollywood, California, courtesy of Amazon.co UK, is British Pounds 36.76 pence. Using the website XE.com, to automatically convert the absolute current price in U.S. Dollars, I spent $47.26. WOW. And, Amazon.com U.S. isn’t taking orders on this yet. Thanks to Great Britain, and definitely YOU, Paul, I will own this amazing box set.
    My sincere gratitude to you!

10. andrew R says:

Surely this is just Repertoire records gathering all the previous Yardbirds lp’s
    they have released and putting it in a box? What is really needed is a comprehensive
    box set of all the various line ups with a book telling the full story. Can there be any other band
    that contained so much talent and springboarded so many careers that is so poorly served
    back catalogue wise?

11. SimonF says:

Oh dear, Just when I thought that Kate Bush vol.1 was going to be my last ever box set purchase due to lack of any more storage space, this comes along, and as a longtime Yardbirds fan it is an absolute must have! Judging by the photos it looks like a 10″ x 10″ box a’la Dylan’s bootleg sets so I might just be able to squeeze it in somewhere.
    Incidentally Amazon’s track listing credits CD four with 23 tracks. Checking my copy of Where The Action Is, a double CD of BBC Yardbirds recordings, shows that a small handful of those listed on disc three have been issued before but it’s no big deal. Pretty good price too. Roll on next February!

12. Rare Glam says:

Live At The Anderson Theatre ’68 – Has that been ‘officially’ reissued yet on CD?

• Uncle Meat says:

Yeah, 2017 on JimmyPage.com. It’s great.

• James W says:

Yes, last year. It was newly remastered along with some of the songs from The Yardbirds last studio session. Some of the songs are only presented without vocals. Including (unfortunately) the song “Knowing That I’m Losing You”. Which is an early version of the Led Zeppelin song “Tangerine”. Some of the live tracks are slightly edited, but they sound much better than on previous releases of that concert. The album is called “Yardbirds 68”. It’s a 2 CD set.

• bollokcs says:

Yes, Page released it a year ago on his own label/website.

• Steve Benson says:

Live 68 released last year with bullfight crowd noise removed. Read all about it here:

• JOHN H McCARTHY says:

“Live At The Anderson Theatre” (actually “Live Yardbirds (Featuring Jimmy Page))” was released in 2000 in the US and UK on CD semi-officially by Mooreland Street Records with two audience recorded sound checks as a bonus. Members Jim McCarty and Chris Dreja were behind this although I don’t believe Jimmy Page approved. I kind of remember complaints regarding the sound of the UK version, Discogs lists the US release as Remastered. This version was also HEAVILY bootlegged, so beware…..

13. Uncle Meat says:

So it is Glimpses to stick with, then?

14. Jeff says:

Wow…..I’m AMAZED!!! I was checking out my orders on Amazon UK last night and ordered it right away :-):-):-)!!! Found this title accidentally even before you PAUL posted this just moments ago :-):-):-)

15. Colin Harper says:

That Yardbirds barrel must surely be scraped bare by now! A lot of this set seems to gather up material that has debuted on various other sets – the Beat Beat Beat tracks on ‘Cumular Limit’, other stuff on Glimpses, a couple of the March 68 BBC session on a ‘Top Sounds’ V/A set… I think the 1964 Richmond Festival material might be new…

• Phil Cohen says:

Though the only previously(officially) unreleased material in this set is 10 of the 14 performances on the DVD, the “Yardbirds” barrel may not have been totally scraped. Will any further unreleased “Yardbirds” material ever be heard? Well, that depends upon Charly Records and its notorously unreliable compiler; a compiler whose projects almost always come to naught. That compiler claims to have obtained a large stash of “Yardbirds” masters, multitracks and unreleased material. Personally, I doubt such claims.

• Josh says:

This question is for Phil Cohen:

• Phil Cohen says:

I would like to respond to a question which has been posed directly to me. Yes, it’s true that with the possible exception of 10 of the 14 television performances on the DVD, that the remaining material in this boxed set has been offered officially elsewhere.
          But, it is not impossible that Repertoire may have uncovered some better source tapes for some of radio broadcasts. We shall see….

• Josh says:

Phil..i sent a bunch of stuff to be included in this box set…the track listing might be altered….
            I was reading a few years ago that a tape exists of the yardbirds live in scotland 1966 with jimmy/jeff lineup…two tracks..
            Forgot the name of the forum…
            Also sent files to be included on the 3 disc bbc set repertoire is working on for next year release…
            Josh…