Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane / Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings

Concord’s new reissue label Craft Recordings will next month issue their first release, The Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings, a three-LP vinyl box set that celebrates the only studio recordings of Jazz masters Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane.

The musicians had performed together every night at New York’s Five Spot Cafe of that same year and between April and July they made their only studio recordings together. Coltrane recalled: “Working with Monk brought me close to a musical architect of the highest order. I learned from him in every way.”

This deluxe triple vinyl box set will feature ‘file folder’ packaging, original artwork, rare photos and 180-gram vinyl pressed at RTI from lacquers cut by George Horn at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California. It also includes an essay by the late Orrin Keepnews, who was there at the time, producing these original sessions.

The Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings will be issued on 26 May 2017.

0888072019775

LP 3
1. Well, You Needn’t
2. Ruby, My Dear [with Coleman Hawkins]
3. Ruby, My Dear [with John Coltrane]
4. Nutty
5. Trinkle, Tinkle

10 responses to Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane / Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings

1. Pingback:R.E.M.’s Automatic For The People reissue confirmed for 2017 on new label | superdeluxeedition

2. P.J. says:

I don’t know much about Jazz. But I will never understand why Monk is so celebrated. I have 2 Monk LPs (Monk’s dream and Monk’s music) but I think that his piano playing is very rudimentary. If I compare it to Keith Jarrett for example there are worlds between them. I will never get it.

• Simon says:

You’re right P.J. – you don’t know a lot about Jazz!

You should really check out the stuff he recorded for Blue Note or some of the Riverside albums. Groundbreaking. The two you mention are later albums that are perhaps not representative of how influential and important he was.

• Chris says:

Part of what you may not be getting comes from the fact that Jarrett came later, when the harmonic innovations that Monk introduced had become part of the canon that all jazz players had to know. When you come to someone wildly innovative from much later, it’s sometimes hard to see what makes them so special — because it’s hard to realize that no one *could* do what they did when they were doing it.

Monk wasn’t about technique, for the most part. There have been lots of jazz piano players whose technique impressed me more: Tatum, Powell, even Horace Silver. But Monk rewrote the rules of jazz harmony, and no one’s playing has ever surprised or challenged me the way Monk’s has.

That said, if you still don’t like him, there’s nothing wrong with that. Nobody likes everything in jazz any more than anyone likes everything in rock.

3. Modulo 1000 says:

Why should someone pay this huge amount for those public domain…for the half expance you can get the complete riverside box set …its not vinyl but its sound great

• Kauwgompie says:

Thank you Modulo 1000….Thelonious Monk is outstanding, every piano-jazz lover will like that box. Personally I can’t really get into the John Coltrane stuff, just too bop for me, but I love Monk.
      I saw that Concord Music Group has a ton of legendary jazz artists so hopefully we will see some re-issues on Craft Recordings from albums that badly need properly remastered releases like the late 60’s and early 70’s jazz funk. artists like Melvin Sparks, Charles Kynard, etc.

4. Rob says:

I truly cannot understand this move towards exclusive vinyl issues. I felt the same way towards all those CD5’s with the extra “b-sides” that flooed the market in the late 80’s through the 90’s. This looks like a great set, but like many other “vinyl only” issues I will not hear it in this form. While I applaud the record companies for putting together these wonderful type of sets, there needs to be equity across mediums.
    thanks for the link Modulo 1000.

5. Johan says:

The question remains: cut from tape or digital files?

6. David Mc says:

I would prefer that the alternate takes were on a seperate disc. Listening to several versions of the same tune does not make for the best listening experience. Especially on vinyl where you can’t programme the running order. Great music though.