This Is Morrissey / new compilation

Parlophone will issue This Is Morrissey, a new single-disc Morrissey compilation in July.

The semi-random 12-track selection includes two Record Store Day A-sides (the Mael Mix of Suedehead and the live Satellite of Love) neither of which have been issued on CD before, along with 10 other tracks from albums and singles issued on Parlophone in the late 80s and early 1990s. For some reason, Your The One For Me Fatty is a live version. The vinyl has a bonus track of Angel, Angel Down We Go Together, from Viva Hate and if you buy the CD in America you’ll get a 10-track edition

Morrissey apparently curated this himself, and in a rare interview (with Fiona Dodwell) he described how he made the selection: “It’s difficult to choose because so many of the songs are fantastic. The album is so full of life, and worthy questions, and great choruses, and quite playful. It’s a very underrated catalogue, but perhaps everyone feels this way about their own songs.”

This is Morrissey will be issued on CD on 6 July. At the time of writing, it’s only £4.99 in the UK, cheap enough to pick up just for those two RSD tracks. The vinyl will follow on 31 August.

Morrissey

This Is Morrissey - vinyl LP

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 20.99

Morrissey

This Is Morrissey - CD edition

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 3.99

CD edition

• 1. The Last of the Famous International Playboys (2010 Remastered Version)
  • 2. Ouija Board, Ouija Board (2010 Remastered Version)
  • 3. Speedway (2014 Remastered Version)*
  • 4. Have-A-Go Merchant
  • 5. Satellite Of Love (Live)
  • 6. Suedehead (Mael Mix)
  • 7. Lucky Lisp (2010 Remastered Version)*
  • 8. Whatever Happens I Love You
  • 9. You’re The One For Me Fatty (Live)
  • 10. Jack The Ripper
  • 11. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye (2013 Remastered Version)
  • 12. Everyday Is Like Sunday (2010 Remastered Version)

Vinyl Edition

Side 1
1. The Last of the Famous International Playboys (2010 Remastered Version)
2. Ouija Board, Ouija Board (2010 Remastered Version)
3. Speedway (2014 Remastered Version)
4. Have-A-Go Merchant
5. Satellite Of Love (Live)
6. Suedehead (Mael Mix)

Side 2
1. Lucky Lisp (2010 Remastered Version)
2. Whatever Happens I Love You
3. You’re The One For Me Fatty (Live)
4. Angel Angel Down We Go Together (2011 Remastered Version)
5. Jack The Ripper
6. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye (2013 Remastered Version)
7. Everyday Is Like Sunday (2010 Remastered Version)

65 responses to This Is Morrissey / new compilation

1. Charlie D says:

Maybe it’s just my headphones, but every time a new comp comes out, due to remastering or whatever, I hear stuff I’ve never noticed berfore on songs i’ve heard hundreds of times. Was convinced I was hearing a new take or new mix for some of these tracks. There’s a specific tears for fears comp that does this to me too, the blue background one with R&C on its cover and it came in a longbox.

2. carl says:

it cost a lot less than a coffee and causes less pollution so why not give it a go

3. Adey says:

Cheesy photo! One for the collection tho.
    Shame about the cd having one less track. What have record companies (and morrissey) got against people who buy cds? We are no lessmusic lovers than the hipsters/ stamp collectors who worship vinyl…
    Its also a shame the awkward git cancelled the manchester gigs too (stop me if you’ve heard this one before)

4. Richard A says:

At present the cd is only £3.99 on Amazon.co.uk

5. Jamie says:

Agree with the comment about the flipback sleeve. Also I imagine it will come with a gloriously retro label. Would have liked to have seen “Driving Your Girlfriend Home” and “I’d Love To” on there in place of a couple of the selections. I’m guessing the “Fatty” live version is from Beethoven Was Deaf.

6. Andrew says:

The cover is very retro and I actually like it. However, I must make a Mozzer comp every week for travelling to and I actually called one This Is Morrissey!
    So this isn’t for me and I’m not sure who it’s aimed at. A live album based on his latest tour would be better.

7. Jason Schafer says:

The more I think about this, the more bewildered I am that he doesn’t just reissue You Are the Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors, Southpaw Grammar, and Maladjusted on vinyl. He would make much more of an impact than he will on this, even if some consider the last two I mention to be of lesser quality as they are still albums hardly anybody has. Maybe that’s banging on about the vinyl cause, but I always thought Morrissey was a fairly savvy self-marketer, and it would seem he would want the fans who are willing to buy everything released to at least make them available. Who doesn’t want to make money on their old material a second time around? I bet You Are the Quarry would do extremely well as it’s considered a big, classic “comeback” record (even if he never left). Vinyl haters can place your comments here (and that’s coming from someone who bought all the deluxe editions and deluxe CD remasters of these albums so…)…

8. bob says:

I am also loving that shit and champagne comment, an absolute classic.

9. Christian says:

A vinyl only bonus track? Would’ve never happened in the late 80s and the 90s …

10. Mark says:

Moz needs to do a U2 and get his catalog reissued on vinyl.
    Less only half are available…

11. Michael Bird says:

I’ve given him more of my money than I care to recollect. I have a reasonably complete collection of his solo catalog, but I haven’t heard a track from his most recent new release and I’ll not be fleeced for his back catalog anymore either. I cannot overlook the coy, cowardly expression of his casual racism anymore. His authorial voice was always one in defense of the overlooked and vulnerable, and now he uses that voice to marginalize the powerless and breathlessly defend tyrants. I’m done with the hypocrite. I’m surprised at how many of you remain onboard with him as I know other tour-following, diehard fans of 20+ years who have walked away shaking their heads. I’m not the type usually to come around trashing something I don’t care for when other people are celebrating it, but I’m legitimately surprised anyone still cares about him.

• Paul Taylor says:

I appreciate your points but would say you have missed out not hearing the last album. Just my opinion.

• Stan Butler says:

I care about him. Rather deeply in fact.
      Been rediscovering the 90’s back catalogue of late.
      Crikey, so much wonderful music.

12. Nero Schwarz says:

The last compilation I bought was Bona Drag in 1990…

13. daveid76 says:

Songs from late 80s/early 90s? Should be called That Was Morrissey.

14. Michael says:

I had a fraction of interest in this until I realised that Ouija Board, Ouija Board is the 2010 abomination. I’ll stick with the 5 best of’s I already have.

15. jon says:

the live version of satelite of love was on a uk cd single in 2014

16. Ex-Oligarch says:

GREAT cover photography and design emphasize Morrissey’s lifelong fascination with the classic pop visual styles of the pre-rock era.

The song selection seems to have been selected at random, but the guys is such a good writer that there are still plenty of good tunes on offer.

17. Paul E. says:

I am so looking forward to having an edited version of the 6 minute and 37 second Sparks “Suedehead” Remix. I’ve owned that Future Retro disc for 12 years now and the song, when dancing, always brings me to near exhaustion. Way too long & clubby – how I’ve longed for a version just three minutes shorter. I’ll stay with the edited theme and buy the US version CD with two less tracks…the pleasure, the privilege is mine.

18. John Darko says:

All this bitchin’ and wingin’ cannot erode the devastating impact of Jack The Ripper.

19. Jan Burnett says:

The ‘Mael Mix’ came out on the US only Rhino CD ‘Future Retro’ CD compilation on 2006. Originally titled the ‘Sparks Remix’. It’s quite an jnteresting compilation of remixes including Tge Cure, Erasure, Depeche Mode, INXS…
    Barcode: 081227319823

20. Stephen DC says:

To me, this would test if you collect for the complete-ist element with money to burn or casually.

£5 CD vs £22 Vinyl.

Nothing could justify a price difference that big, to me. But that’s what makes us all different.

21. richard says:

Pretty sure ‘satellite of love’ was not a RSD title. Interesting tracklist.

Not sure who it is aimed at.

• CraigH says:

Correct it wasn’t and the 7″ is still widely available.

As for this compilation, it’s an inexplicable selection. I’ll buy it for Satellite of love on CD. The Mael mix of Suedehead on the other hand is an atrocity.

22. Rik Skyline says:

Anyway… Johnny Marr’s new studio album is out tomorrow.

23. Kauwgompie says:

That is a seriously unfortunate cover and an entirely unnecessary disc. But good to know.

24. Jorje Chica says:

The cover is absolutely horrendous. It looks like a bad Best of Engelbert Humperdinck record.

25. -SG- says:

The tracklisting has a kind of Russian bootleg vibe to it. For the money the 3 disc HMV singles collection is the one to get for the era represented, an essential release actually, and goes for about $10. The only real bait here being Satellite of Love. The artwork reminds me of one of the many budget Gene Pitney compilations made back in the day.

26. Paul Fraser says:

Oh Morrissey. What an inessential collection. Did he just throw darts at his discography? A strange mix of shit and champagne here, so I’ll pass. Yes, I I’m older now and I’m a clever swine…

• Ben Williams says:

“Shit and champagne” would make an excellent title for the next Morrissey compilation.

27. Alex says:

I adore Morrissey but can’t see the point of this compilation. Suedehead is perfect in its original version and doesn’t need a remix.

• O(+> Peter B says:

Yes, as N.W.A. once said, “this jam is so dope it don’t need a remix”. Thanks for the link to the interview, Paul.

28. William says:

Less Macca and more Mozzzzzzzzzzz

29. MARK LEVY says:

I might be tempted to buy the vinyl version

30. Caroline says:

I wonder why they skipped “The National Front Disco”…

Also, given the age of the material, should it not be called “This Was Morrissey”?

31. mr P says:

i wonder if the tracks will be interspersed with any of his right wing racist dirge?

32. Robert says:

Morrisseys releases follow along these lines – album release- b-sides release- best of release. Repeat these types of releases for the next 25 years :P :P :P

33. Mij says:

Liner notes for the vinyl format are in French!

34. Craig says:

Is the “Mael Mix” of Suedehead the same one on the Future Retro CD which is labeled “Sparks Mix”?

35. Stan Butler says:

I’ll get it for the RSD tracks which I don’t have. Assuming that “Fatty” is the “Beethoven Was Deaf” version, I have the others many times over. “Harsh truth ..” is mediocre though. Would have much preferred “Driving Your Girlfriend Home”. Like the cover.

36. Steven says:

Wow, “semi-random” doesn’t begin to cover it.

“Why bother?” however, sums it rather nicely, I feel….

37. Lee Realgone says:

Does the world need another Morrissey compilation? Really? Excluding ‘Bona Drag’ this is number eleven.

38. Jason Schafer says:

How completely random…

39. Ben Williams says:

Can’t go wrong for the money to be honest; two rare tracks and some liner notes. A sort of retake of World Of Morrissey from 1995.

I mean this sincerely, but I genuinely think it would have been cool to give away a badge with the vinyl edition!

• Julian Hancock says:

I gather Morrissey was keen on giving away a Free Tommy badge, but the record label weren’t keen

40. francis says:

Rather have his albums than this compilation.

41. Jim says:

That cover is crying out for the vinyl to be issued in a flip-back sleeve.

Oh and reissue repackage etc…

42. Auntie Sabrina says:

Speedway and Lucky Lisp are omitted from the US CD?

Yes, I think that’s correct.

• auteur55 says:

What in the world makes Morrissey say “let’s randomly lop off two tracks for the US release so it’s only a piddly 10 track compilation.” He is so weird. I’ll always buy anything new he put’s out but I’m still learning to forgive him for what he did to Viva Hate on the reissue.

It’s more likely to be to do with the US-label and some licensing shenanigans!

• Paul Murphy says:

Or royalties. Dylan’s US version of ‘MTV Unplugged’ [not that it was very unplugged] omitted ‘Love Minus Zero’ as 12 tracks meant less dosh. It’s also the main reason that those lovely vinyl box sets are all ‘Complete Studio Collection’s, as live albums generally have a lower royalty rate, as do compilations [if I remember correctly, The Clash’s 1988 set The Story Of The Clash – Volume 1 only paid them 25% of their normal album rate].

• WILLIAM ENGLAND says:

Personally, I think he’s trying to re-create what American record companies did to UK albums in the sixties – 10 tracks being the norm for American LPs then.
          I’m taking my cue from the “Regal” EMI logo from the sixties on the cover…

• PC says:

Trump’s tariffs meant they had to cut two tracks from the US version.