Tori Amos / Boys For Pele 2CD deluxe

boysforpele

Rhino will issue Tori Amos‘ third album, Boys For Pele, in November as a two-CD deluxe edition and a 2LP vinyl edition.

The 1996 album was partly recorded in Ireland and saw Amos moving away from the piano a little bit, bringing instruments such as the Harpsichord to the fore.

Three singles were issued in the UK. The first two, Caught a Light Sneeze and Talula, failed to penetrate the UK top 20 but thanks to Armand Van Helden’s remix of Professional Widow, Tori ended up with an improbable UK number one. Someone back in the day had the bright idea to reissue the album as a special edition with the eight-minute remix inserted into this beautiful long-player as track five, right after the standard album version of the song. Ridiculous.

Thankfully, we don’t even get that version of the song on this new deluxe, just the radio edit on disc two of this remastered set. In fact, if you’re looking for some of the many single remixes you’re out of luck, although an unreleased ‘M&M mix’ of Talula is on CD two along with three other previously unreleased tracks: To The Fair Motormaids of Japan, In The Springtime Of His Voodoo (Rookery Ending) and Sucker. 21 tracks in total on that disc, including many B-Sides and extra tracks.

A newly remastered version of album (no bonus tracks) will be issued as a 2LP vinyl set. The previous two were half-speed mastered, so we may see the same here.

Boys For Pele will be reissued on 18 November 2016.

Tori Amos

Boys For Pele (Deluxe)

Shop Price GBP Stock

Tori Amos

Boys For Pele (Remastered) [VINYL]

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

Disc: 1
1. Beauty Queen / Horses (Remastered)
2. Blood Roses (Remastered)
3. Father Lucifer (Remastered)
4. Professional Widow (Remastered)
5. Mr. Zebra (Remastered)
6. Marianne (Remastered)
7. Caught A Lite Sneeze (Remastered)
8. Muhammad My Friend (Remastered)
9. Hey Jupiter (Remastered)
10. Way Down (Remastered)
11. Little Amsterdam (Remastered)
12. Talula (Remastered)
13. Not The Red Baron (Remastered)
14. Agent Orange (Remastered)
15. Doughnut Song (Remastered)
16. In The Springtime Of His Voodoo (Remastered)
17. Putting The Damage On (Remastered)
18. Twinkle (Remastered)

Disc: 2
1. Hey Jupiter (The Dakota Version) [Remastered]
2. To The Fair Motormaids Of Japan*
3. That’s What I Like Mick (The Sandwich Song) [Remastered]
4. Fire-Eater’s Wife / Beauty Queen (Demo Version) [Remastered]
5. Professional Widow (Armand’s Star Trunk Funkin’ Mix – Radio Edit) [Remastered]
6. Sugar (Live)
7. Alamo
8. Talula (M&M Mix)*
9. Professional Widow (Merry Widow Version) [Live] [Remastered]
10. Frog On My Toe (Remastered)
11. Hungarian Wedding Song (Remastered)
12. Walk To Dublin (Sucker Reprise) [Remastered]
13. Toodles Mr. Jim (Remastered)
14. Sister Named Desire (Remastered)
15. Amazing Grace / Til The Chicken (Remastered)
16. This Old Man (Remastered)
17. Sucker*
18. Honey (Live) [Remastered]
19. Graveyard (Remastered)
20. London Girls (Remastered)
21. In The Springtime Of His Voodoo (Rookery Ending)*

*previously unreleased

23 responses to Tori Amos / Boys For Pele 2CD deluxe

1. Jan Burnett says:

Including the B side Chas’n’Dave covers. Excellent.

• Carlton says:

Wasn’t Caught a Lite Sneeze also a single in the UK? I have import maxis of it, and I thought that was where they came from.

Any word as to whether the version of Talula on the main album is the original album mix of the “Tornado Mix” (done by BT I think) that was done for Twister and then replaced the original mix on subsequent printings? I like both versions, and I’m surprised that they are leaving one or the other off.

I hate the Van Helden Mix of Professional Widow. It’s like every terrible stereotype of bad mid-90s mixes crammed into a single track. So thankfully it’s only here as the single version.

Overall, this announcement made my day–been looking forward to it since the rumors of it being released came out last year, and had worried that maybe the project had been abandoned when I didn’t hear more about it. Glad to be getting some unreleased material in addition to everything else.

2. Richard says:

Wasn’t Caught A Lite Sneeze the first single in the UK?

3. Simon Thornhill says:

Delighted to see the gawd awful remix of PW being relegated to the radio edit version & tucked away on the bonus disc.
    I was hoping for a deluxe vinyl boxset with a clear / coloured vinyl pressing BLU RAY disc + repressings of the singles onto vinyl
    But hey Ho.
    Boys for Pele & From the Choir girl Motel are my fave Tori albums
    Hope FTCGM gets a vinyl reissue soon

4. HS says:

I bought her previous two re-issues on both CD and LP and I will of course buy this too. Hopefully the series will continue with the excellent From The Choirgirl Hotel…

5. Rob says:

Well at least we get a bunch of previously unreleased tracks, which looks a bit more promising than the two previous Deluxe reissues.
    I love Tori but I can’t help but think that so far those three anniversaries/Deluxe editions could have been exploitedd in a much interesting way. Why not include the 1997 Live from NY VHS-only release to that set on DVD, for example.

6. Francis says:

I was hoping this album would get the 2CD deluxe treatment after “Little Earthquakes” and “Under The Pink”. All fingers (and toes) crossed that the album “From The Choir” will follow. If not, I will eat my cap (well maybe).

7. neal says:

Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version) was a single in the Uk and featured the remix of Professional Widow. I assume that paved the way for lits of club plays and the eventual single of PW was released the following January. Shame the rare Putting the damage on (Twilight mix) isn’t featured – that was only available on a rare promo only RAINN compilation album. And it doesnt mention of the version of Talula is the original, or the Tornado Mix – which was the single version, but replaced the album version of Talula on the album, without mentioning it on the back cover trackisting, but mentions it on the CD and inside cover tracklisting. Then of course after PW was a huge hit, they released the album again.

8. Ryan says:

“Samurai” was a track that appeared on some versions of the “Talula” single, and was an original Tori composition. Yet, it’s disappeared – was not among the b-sides on her box set, and isn’t on this new reissue either. Odd. Some sites list “George Porter Jr.” as a co-writer, so maybe he’s held it up from reappearing? Who knows.

9. Jan Burnett says:

‘Samurai’ was on the ‘Caught A Little Sneeze’ picture CD, A5524CD2, in the UK which also features the Chas’n’Dave covers. And, yes, co written by George Porter Jr.

10. Jack says:

I really wish Tori / Rhino would have prepped Super Deluxe options for her albums. These 2 Disc editions are nice.. but wish we got more like Neal pointed out .. no Putting the Damage On (Twilight Mix) which you’d think a more rare mix would have made it onto this set. Both versions of Talula should be represented… I kind of prefer the Twister version myself.

Honestly I’m really sick of that P.W. remix haha I know Tori loves it for the bass line I understand that but she had added it to so many compilations glad it is only a shorter mix but leaving it off would have been fine.. I’ll skip over it for sure. Its so jarring when it pops up on any album.

It would have been nice to get a BluRay with uncompressed 5.1 and 2.0 HD audio for her albums I’d have paid just for those discs had they created the option.

This album should have been a 3 Disc set … I feel the same about Choirgirl. I have a feeling when it’s time comes it will be a 2 disc also.

I’m grateful for these remastered anniversary editions but I wish there were super deluxe ones created for her hardcore fans.

11. Jason Brown says:

As much as I love Tori Amos, BFP was the album that, 20 years back, I just couldn’t listen to. For years, I rated it as the worst album I had in my collection. Now, to be fair, methinks a lot of that was me being an undeveloped 21 year old. Plus, with hindsight, it’s not bad. Caught A Lite Sneeze (top 20, at 20, wasn’t it?) is rather great, and the original Professional Widow gets better (especially at the bit that foreshadows a NIN song three years down the road). Must dig this album out again…

12. Tripp says:

This is my all time favorite album. I am way too close to this one to be objective. I am very happy it is even being re released at all considering how much her record company fought her on it.
    Still, I have to share my disappointment. Excluding Samurai was not the only issue. There are at least 3 other b-sides that were recorded for this album that were added to Choirgirl’s singles. Never Seen Blue, Cooling, and Beulah Land. In fact, Beulah Land was at one point the album title for Pele and Tori had even registered it with a publishing company. I don’t remember the exact details – but i’m sure the fanbase remembers this. I had hoped we would get the actual chronologically recorded Boys for Pele album. At the very least, it would be nice for her to explain the original concept for Beulah Land as an album and how it evolved into Boys for Pele. I will always feel now that this is still incomplete and when Choirgirl is re released , i’ll never listen to those songs with that album because they do not fit at all.
    The biggest tragedy of all here is the release format. Tori/Warner are leaving so much money on the table. While the order count would have been lower, i would have glady forked over hundreds of dollars for a few extra discs from this tour. Tori was at the top of her solo game on the Dew Drop Inn tour. In many ways i think the current state of her voice may have a lot to do with just how far she took it on this tour. I would have gladly accepted an even higher cost for the exquisite Cindy Palmano photos from this era compiled in a hard book. I was luch enough to buy a promotional booklet from Esprit/EIL back in the day. It is still my most prized Tori possession. They could have ran a small print run for a very high price and easily made a lot of money.
    At this point, I wish she would create a kickstarter so she could just buy back the masters from Warner and give us a full archive. But, i’ll be getting this day one and I am SO excited to finally hear Motor-maids. Can i mention the even higher amount i would fork over for a well done 5.1 mix?

• Paul says:

Even though Beulah Land was probably recorded the same day as Way Down – Those 3 bees sit on Choirgirl for me – I was listening to it during a holiday to the States in Nov 98, I found the CD of Jackie’s Strength in Virgin Megastore (I miss it!) and it reminds me of that time and album.
      Even if they were on this re-issue – I would deny them a place on my iPod

13. Craig says:

There’s a fair amount missing….. not even counting the Full length remixes which probably had no place here but there are Voodoo full length remixes)

Wonder if the Beauty Queen demo the full length version as it’s an excerpt only on A PIANO. So really it’s 5 unreleased tracks if this is the full demo version.

Disappointing to see no DVD content *again* with Tori. There is Live in NY – released as a VHS in 1997. Plus the MTV Unplugged concert from this year…. and VH1 Crossroads TV special from this year too.

AVAILABLE CONTENT…
    * – not included on this reissue

MIXES
    Putting the Damage On (Twilight Mix)*
    Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version)
    Talula (Tornado Mix)*
    Father Lucifer (Sylksceen Mix)*
    Voodoo (Hasbrook Heights Mix)*
    Professional Widow (Armand’s Edit)

SESSIONS
    Cooling* (recorded in same session, Church In Ireland)
    Never Seen Blue* (recorded in same session, Church In Ireland)
    Beulah Land* (recorded in same session, Church In Ireland feat Black Dyke Mills band as on Damage)
    To The Fair Motormaids of Japan*
    Sucker*
    Walk To Dublin (Sucker Reprise)
    Fire-Eater’s Wife / Beauty Queen (Demo) IS THIS LONGER THAN ON A PIANO which is just an excerpt?

SILLY SONGS (B-SIDES)

Merry Widow
    Sugar
    Honey
    Over The Rainbow*
    I’m On Fire*

14. probablyrustin says:

Seems like a pretty packed set, but definitely some odd omissions (Talula single mix and some session tracks). This could have easily made for a nice 3CD/1DVD set without seeming like overkill/milking it, maybe in addition to the 2CD version if they were worried about sales. Anyone else think this is a pretty glacial pace for what amounts to pretty straightforward/simple 2CD reissues? At the very least they could continue doing several albums in one go… Interested to see what fills a Choirgirl reissue (a much better album IMO).

15. memoryboy says:

Excellent album.

16. James Foran says:

Finally we’ll get to hear To The Fair Motormaids of Japan but a shame that Samurai has been kicked off. One of the live tracks could have been sacrificed instead I think. This album deserves a super deluxe release.

17. Johnathan says:

Jason Brown, I’m right there with you. I bought ‘Boys For Pele’ on release day, and while I liked “Caught A Lite Sneeze” a whole lot (and a couple of other tracks like “Father Lucifer” which were more like previous Tori), most of the album just didn’t click for me. Was not down with the harpsichord. (Maybe I should have been in Atlantic Records’ A&R.)

It wasn’t until the release of remixes, starting with Armand’s re-do of “Professional Widow” (rescuing it from harpsichord overload) — which was EVERYWHERE when I visited San Francisco that summer — and then the remixes of “In The Springtime of His Voodoo” and “Talula” (via the maxi-singles) that I found more to enjoy. Today, ‘Boys For Pele’ remains one of my least favorite Tori albums. But I’ll still be buying this deluxe edition!