Two key Ringo Starr albums remastered and reissued on heavyweight vinyl

‘Ringo’ and ‘Goodnight Vienna’ • Remastered • 180-gram vinyl

A couple of Ringo Starr’s go-to albums – Ringo (1973) and Goodnight Vienna (1974) – are being reissued worldwide on 180-gram vinyl by Capitol/Universal Music early in the new year.

Starr’s eponymous album went platinum in the United States, peaked at number two and also delivered two Billboard number one singles – Photograph (co-written with George Harrison) and You’re Sixteen (You’re Beautiful And You’re Mine) – while Oh My My reached number five.

This Richard Perry-produced album, which also reached number seven in the UK charts, featured contributions from all his old Beatles bandmates, and the likes of Billy Preston on organ, Robbie Robertson on guitar, Klaus Voormann on bass and sax, and backing vocals from Harry Nilsson.

The title track of Starr’s fourth solo album, Goodnight Vienna, was written and produced by John Lennon, and this long-player yielded two top five US singles – Snookeroo, written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin, and No No Song – and his cover of the Platters’ Only You (also produced by Lennon in the same session as he oversaw the recording of Goodnight Vienna) which reached number six

Ringo veterans Nilsson, Voorman, Robertson and Preston also pitched in again on Goodnight Vienna, but this album didn’t repeat its predecessor’s commercial success. It did fine in America – reaching number eight and going gold – but only just scraped into the top 30 in the UK, signally the start of a 14-year hiatus before Starr next charted on home turf.

All tracks have been remastered by Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering. These two reissues follow the September release of Ringo’s nineteenth solo album Give More Love, and you can catch him and and his All-Starr Band on tour in Europe in June-July next summer.

Ringo and Goodnight Vienna are reissued on 19 January 2018. UK links not live yet, for some reason.

Ringo Starr

Ringo [VINYL]

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 27.99

Ringo Starr

Goodnight Vienna [VINYL]

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 20.99

Ringo remastered vinyl LP

1. I’m the Greatest (John Lennon)
  2. Have You Seen My Baby (Randy Newman)
  3. Photograph (Richard Starkey, George Harrison)
  4. Sunshine Life for Me (Sail Away Raymond) (George Harrison)
  5. You’re Sixteen (You’re Beautiful And You’re Mine) (Bob Sherman, Dick Sherman)
  6. Oh My My (Richard Starkey, Vini Poncia)
  7. Step Lightly (Richard Starkey)
  8. Six O’Clock (Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney)
  9. Devil Woman (Richard Starkey, Vini Poncia)
  10. You and Me (Babe) (George Harrison, Mal Evans)

Goodnight Vienna remastered vinyl LP

1. (It’s All Down to) Goodnight Vienna (John Lennon)
  2. Occapella (Allen Toussaint)
  3. Oo-Wee (Richard Starkey, Vini Poncia)
  4. Husbands and Wives (Roger Miller)
  5. Snookeroo (Elton John, Bernie Taupin)
  6. All by Myself (Richard Starkey, Vini Poncia)
  7. Call Me (Richard Starkey)
  8. No No Song (Hoyt Axton, David Jackson)
  9. Only You (Buck Ram, Ande Rand)
  10. Easy for Me (Harry Nilsson)
  11. Goodnight Vienna (Reprise) (John Lennon)

22 responses to Two key Ringo Starr albums remastered and reissued on heavyweight vinyl

1. Pingback:SDE Reissue Preview for 2018 | superdeluxeedition

2. hendry doran says:

Strange that both are on the Amazon UK website but are not available to pre-order

3. Aaron says:

For some reason I Wanna Be Santa Claus was issued in vinyl in Sept…

oh and Bad boy was issued on blue vinyl on Dec 1st!

AND “Time Takes Time” saw a vinyl reissue last year on Green, Red AND Yellow vinyl!

4. Steve Foster says:

A shame Elton’s solo piano Demo Version of “Snookeroo” isn’t included on “Goodnight Vienna” as a Bonus Track – I’d have snapped it up if it had! Talking of the afformentioned Demo, I remember being dissapointed that it wasn’t included on Elton’s “Rare Masters” 2 CD anthology as it’s a cracker. Despite this omission, the solo piano demo of “Let Me Be Your Car” (written for Rod Stewart) WAS included. Needless to say, it’s fantastic!

5. JJK says:

Probably charging more for Ringo because of the gatefold and booklet.

6. Louise says:

Why such a difference between the pricing? I guess the expectations for GV are lower than for Ringo, but double the price surely raises questions about Universal’s reissue vinyl pricing. Even though I prefer Ringo I’d buy the other one for curiosity value & the fact it’s so cheap :)

7. Geert De Wilde says:

Those amazon.co.uk links are currently un-buyable listings … A tenner for Goodnight Vienne LP reissue would have been too good to be true …

I know. It’s amazon – don’t blame the the widget! :)

• Geert De Wilde says:

all respect for the widget! :) I noticed Amazon producing similar dud-listings in recent days only available through a third party-seller who turns out not to exist. The Beatles Christmas Box appeared like that for several weeks. Irritating habit!

8. Chris Tait says:

Also, Marc Bolan played guitar on the “Ringo” album, on the track “Have you seen my Baby”. Great website Paul, I look every day!

9. Darren L says:

One of the best post Beatles albums. Why no CD with bonus tracks though?

10. DaveM says:

Remastered CDs please. The dream would be a nice CD box set of Ringo’s solo Apple years.

11. Nicholas Love says:

I think it’s a real coup that, despite the well deserved praise for the McCartney and Lennon camps, that the greatest post-Beatles release is Ringo and George’s Photograph. What an achingly beautiful song.

• StevieB says:

Well it’s certainly up there Nicholas. I think these two might be part of a Capitol vinyl re-issue series to mark the company’s 75th anniversary, hence no suggestion of CDs with bonus content, though such things would be most welcome.

12. Scott G says:

I have the original Ringo on vinyl which as mentioned has an excellent inner booklet. Need to dig it out and give it a spin. My brother has the original Goodnight Vienna on vinyl as well.
    Time to reminisce.

Seasonal Greetings

13. Andy says:

I hope Ringo has the same Klaus drawn insert booklet. It’s a thing of beauty.

• Benjamin Adams says:

I have to agree – fingers crossed for the full packaging. I have a nice minty green label Capitol reissue, but it’s in a single sleeve instead of a gatefold, and no booklet. All the originals I’ve seen in the last few years weren’t in good enough shape to purchase.

The Amazon price for Ringo is currently twice as much as Goodnight Vienna, which makes me hope they’re covering the cost of the packaging.

• Glen Buchanan says:

I have the original and when I was searching a thrift shop I came across a copy with the booklet being misprinted- Artwork printed wrongly. Is that misprinted booklet worth anything to avid collectors?

• Chris Woods says:

Apparently this version with the misprint is quite collectable. Is the second track listed as ‘Hold On’?