U2 to release 30th anniversary super deluxe box sets of The Joshua Tree

U2 will celebrate the 30th anniversary of their 1987 album The Joshua Tree this June, with three new editions of the album, including a four-CD super deluxe edition box set.

The super deluxe edition box set (which is also available as a 7LP vinyl set) includes a remastered version of the album (update: there is a suggestion, but not official confirmation that they are using the 2007 remaster), 17 tracks performed Live at Madison Square Garden in 1987 (featuring most of the album), a disc of new remixes and a B-sides and outtakes CD. That final disc repeats most of the tracks on the bonus CD included in the 20th anniversary reissue (the SDE of which was a 2CD+DVD set), although it omits the single edit of Where the Streets Have No Name and adds an unreleased alternate mix of I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (called the ‘Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87’) and a new 2017 mix of One Tree Hill (called One Tree Hill Reprise) courtesy of Brian Eno.

The four-CD 30th anniversary super deluxe edition of The Joshua Tree

In total 25 audio tracks are previously unreleased (including the live material) and the CDs will come housed in a large format 12-inch double gatefold folio. This is packaged with The Joshua Tree – Photographs by The Edge, an 84-page hardcover book of never-before seen photography by The Edge, taken during the original Mojave Desert Joshua Tree shoot in 1986. Additionally this super deluxe set comes with a folio of eight 12-inch Anton Corbijn colour prints. The outer box features a “textured embossed gold foiled Joshua tree icon”.

7LP vinyl edition of the 30th anniversary super deluxe edition of The Joshua Tree

The 7LP vinyl version of this super deluxe edition box features exactly the same audio and exactly the same books and prints as the four-CD set. The only difference is that the audio is across 14 sides of vinyl! Good price in Germany right now for this vinyl edition.

2CD edition of the 30th anniversary Joshua Tree features alternative artwork

Additionally, there will be a two-CD edition of the 30th anniversary which will feature a colour version of the famous cover shot set on a white background. The bonus disc in this set will be the The Joshua Tree Live at Madison Square Garden 1987. There will be single CD and standard double vinyl, editions available as well.

All 30th anniversary editions of The Joshua Tree will be released on 2 June 2017.

0602557482485

7. Running To Stand Still
  8. In God’s Country
  9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  10. Exit
  11. October
  12. New Year’s Day
  13. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
  14. With Or Without You
  15. Party Girl
  16. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
  17. “40”

CD3 – The Joshua Tree Remixes

1. One Tree Hill (St Francis Hotel Remix)
  2. Bullet The Blue Sky (Jacknife Lee Remix)
  3. Running To Stand Still (Daniel Lanois Remix)
  4. Red Hill Mining Town (Steve Lillywhite 2017 Mix)
  5. With Or Without You (Daniel Lanois Remix)
  6. Where The Streets Have No Name (Flood Remix)

CD4 – The Joshua Tree B-Sides & Outtakes

1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
  2. Walk To The Water
  3. Spanish Eyes
  4. Deep In The Heart
  5. Silver And Gold
  6. Sweetest Thing
  7. Race Against Time
  8. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
  9. One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)
  10. Silver and Gold
  11. Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
  12. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
  13. Desert Of Our Love

4. In God’s Country
  5. Sunday Bloody Sunday

Side 3

1. Exit
  2. October
  3. New Year’s Day
  4. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Side 4

1. With Or Without You
  2. Party Girl
  3. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
  4. “40”

The Joshua Tree Remixes, Outakes & B-Sides

Remixes Side 1

• One Tree Hill (St Francis Hotel Remix)
  • Bullet The Blue Sky (Jacknife Lee Remix)
  • Running To Stand Still (Daniel Lanois Remix)

Remixes Side 2

1. Red Hill Mining Town (Steve Lillywhite 2017 Mix)
  2. With Or Without You (Daniel Lanois Remix)
  3. Where The Streets Have No Name (Flood Remix)

Outtakes Side 3

1. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
  2. One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)
  3. Silver and Gold (Sun City)
  4. Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience

Outtakes Side 4

1. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
  2. Desert Of Our Love
  3. Rise Up
  4. Drunk Chicken/America

B-Sides Side 5

1. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
  2. Walk To The Water
  3. Spanish Eyes

B-Sides Side 6

1. Deep In The Heart
  2. Silver And Gold
  3. Sweetest Thing
  4. Race Against Time

185 responses to U2 to release 30th anniversary super deluxe box sets of The Joshua Tree

1. gogandmagog says:

gmmmie the 4 CDs…and where is the DVD?…well, for about 40 GBP

• Kevin says:

The 7 lp lists the original album spread across 2 lps, while the standalone album reissue on U2.com is only 1 lp.
      Any chance these are 45s in the 7lp box?

2. Rich says:

Tempted but then do you just wait for the 40th Anniversary…

• Tom of FIN says:

Exactly indeed. If next time previously unreleased songs from the sessions – obviously there simply aren’t any. Just remixes or live sets as bonuses. Cheers for leaving demos out. Only for die-hard or new fans. We pass.

• Tom of FIN says:

Oh well, to be correct, there on CD under “Outtakes” might be something unreleased not available as B-sides already. Have to investigate.

• Lee Taylor says:

40th Anniversary Edition could well have a show from the 30th Anniversary tour..

3. Stuart Russell says:

£108 for a 4CD set; 2 of which that are previously issued in the 20th Anniversary set!

I’m a huge fan, but this’s need to be sub £50 to tempt me.

• My thoughts too. The 20th anniversary deluxe box was perfect. New remixes don’t really interest me, a live disc I could take or leave. But I guess the vinyl versions is really what they’re pushing with this 30th anniversary edition.

4. Don says:

The vinyl set has one additional song not found on the 4CD set: Silver and Gold (Sun City). The CD version only has the b-side mix of Silver and Gold. Both versions were on the 2007 deluxe edition.

5. John Hirst says:

Looks decent value for the vinyl set from Amazon Germany.

6. Johnathan says:

Looking forward to the big box CD version. (Also, you might want to know that “anniversary” is misspelled in the various widgets.)

7. Chris Squires says:

Woof. Beautiful, if pricey.

One of the few releases to really give a proper Vinyl Super Deluxe, nothing missing. Kudos to the boys for that.

It is interesting to see that the difference between Vinyl and CD SDE is only £45 so either the vinyl is cheap, or (more likely) the CD version is overpriced and will come down. Probably both overpriced tbh. £100 for the vinyl and it would be an instant bite…… particularly with Mr Cave showing the way with triple Vinyl for £20.

Icons do not come cheap, do they?

• AlexKx says:

Sure there are many things missing! Where are the demos? What about the instrumentals…of everything?! What about the accapellas? What about alternative versions of songs? What about re-recordings? What about tribute recordings? What about the “short promotional films” (a.k.a.: “music videos”)? What about behind the scenes film? What about any film in the studio? What about new and old interviews? What about a documentary? See? :)

• AlexKx says:

….oh! And 5.1?!

• Chris Squires says:

hang on a cotton pickin’ minute…..

I didn’t mean there was nothing missing from the overall set, there was always bound to be something….

What I meant was (and I have brought it up before on a few threads) it is good that the Vinyl release matches the CD SDE exactly. So many cases where the Vinyl is JUST a re-issue of the original album and all of the good-stuff is only available on the CD box set.

Here, the music is the same on both editions and it feels like a Vinyl SDE worthy of the name (at last) although it would be interesting to see someone try and get 5.1 or “short promotional films” onto vinyl.

It was only the Vinyl release I was commenting on….Demos and alternative versions would have been nice and even nicer on Vinyl….

• Musicmacca says:

Agree completely
          If there was ever an album crying out for 5.1…….

8. Bassel hassouna says:

A bit too expensive. Will wait for deal alert

9. Eric M. says:

Was ready to be cynical about this one, as I don’t really think it needs a new remaster – but I’m actually seeing a couple of interesting additions here, Lillywhite “alternative mix” of ISHFWILF for one. Maybe I’ll nab the CD version.

10. peet says:

I read somewhere they’re will be digital downloads as part of both the packages and as a standalone.. wondering if they will be hi-res files.

11. Stephen Hance says:

Just pre ordered vinyl set from HMV for 119

12. Jeff says:

No 5.1 remix? No, thanks, especially at that price.

13. ADRIAN BARRETT says:

4 CD set is an obscene price given 2 are repeated from the 2007 set.Is there any word on the Vinyl set with the vinyl bag that U2.com is advertising?

• smorrissey says:

Almost repeated the bsides disc 2017 will contain these too:
      I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87
      One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)

14. Paul Whitelock says:

Amazon Germany currently has a great price for U.S. vinyl buyers — including shipping, the total was €121 (or about $128 USD), plus if you use the Amazon Store Card you should get 5% back, so a total of $121 USD.

15. ADRIAN BARRETT says:

That said the 4cd set will come down in price.U2.com has it at £74.95 at the moment

16. Tim says:

Four cds for £108…so twenty seven pounds per cd. Rip right off!!

17. Trash says:

Wow, it only seems like only yesterday (well maybe the day before yesterday) that the 20th anniversary edition was released.
    As I already own that I can’t bring myself to want this – I know it is a critics fave but I think they have done better before and after…

• smorrissey says:

Totally agree, i owned the deluxe and super deluxe boxset 2007 so i guess preodering on iTunes this 2017 release will be enough for me.

18. Phil Wilson says:

Like most here, would look at the 4CD for sub £50, otherwise would be more than happy with the 2CD as I love live albums, and have the 2CD and the Box Set version from the last anniversary. The 6 remixes hold no appeal for me

19. gogandmagog says:

…now I expect the worst for the Rattle & Hum 30th

is that necesary that big boxes? I have not space!!!
    OK, for some…but why not just like Nick Cave, same stuff, a more expensive edition with a lavish book and a second option, the same discs in a more simple case

• At least R+H hasn’t had a deluxe reissue yet. Or even just a pairing of the CD+DVD, which is kind of baffling they didn’t at least do for the 20th.

• Alan Blevin says:

Paramount hold all the rights for everything connected with Rattle And Hum.U2 have been in unsuccessful negotiation with them for nearly 20 years to buy rights back.There will be no deluxe edition of it until a deal is done and they haven’t come close to one yet.

• Alan Blevin says:

Correcting myself.
          I think the audio of this New York show was/is owned by Paramount.It’s appearance here may indicate a deal has been done and a 30th anniversary Rattle And Hum is on the way.

• smorrissey says:

No Rattle & Hum 30th Paramount have some how the right for that album.

20. Enrico G. says:

Does anybody know if this is the “old” remaster or a new one?

21. Graham Yapp says:

Another must have,But why isn’t the new 2017 version of’Red Hill Mining Town’ included in the set,or was it just a red herring?

22. Friso Pas says:

Will wait for the reviews and comments on the (vinyl) mastering.
    I have the 20th ann. cd boxset, the MoFi cd, and a UK Townhouse pressing on vinyl.
    But in case it is really good….I’m thinking the deluxe cd boxset and the 2LP for on my turntable. Don’t think I’m going to play all those extra sides of vinyl. But pretty good that they release it this way too.

• Gary C says:

1 LP as far as I can see.

A new remaster would be interesting but the rest doesn’t float me boat

23. Martin says:

Did the 20th anniversary set so interest in this is limited. Will see if a SDE deal comes up for the vinyl sub £100 – U2 as an artist of integrity are fast disappearing up the Macca rip off fast lane….

24. brian says:

4CD set $92 shipped to the US on the German site

25. Steve says:

Can’t wait for the Achtung Baby anniversary boxset … again :D

26. Eric says:

I can just see Bono chanting…’Slapping them down…$100…$200. $300… !’ Enough is enough… can’t see how this is anything more than a complete cash grab after the ’07 box.

27. Gisabun says:

Why do they constantly throw in the fluff? Prints? Meh… I’ll look at the book once and that’s it.

• William_M says:

These quotes will answer that: Nick Stewart, once the A&R man who signed U2 to Island Records, these days a freelancer specialising in, among other things, marketing and catalogue exploitation, and thus the man behind the Achtung Baby box. “We set out to make the very best package for the U2 fan of a seminal album. We weren’t just filling it up for the sake of filling it up.” He chuckles. “I happen to think we’ve outpointed everyone else. But then I would say that, wouldn’t I? I think it’s raising the gold standard, so that all these packages become bigger and better.”

Then U2’s former manager…..

“There will be multiple formats,” says U2’s manager, Paul McGuinness. “If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value.”

• AlexKx says:

That is to combat the bootleggers! :)

28. Gisabun says:

Oh. at least they chose a different concert as the extra!

29. Johnny Feathers says:

Ugh. I don’t mind buying new mixes and live material, but I already did the deluxe set several years ago, and most of THAT was material I’d already had. I don’t suppose I should be surprised they’re doing this, but it’s disappointing they do it in a way you can’t get the new stuff without re-buying all the old stuff.

30. Steve says:

Vinyl is £114.99 on U2.com
    CDs £74.99
    Postage might bump that up though.

31. Marc Burkhard says:

OMG!!!!!

32. Tom says:

Where are the cover versions from the live show? Ridiculously overpriced and unnecessary SDE. Sellout. Sorry.

• Klaus says:

I guess they would have to pay royalties for those and that would have minimized their profit from this ;-))

33. William_M says:

And yet as beautiful as this looks they still don’t include ‘wild irish rose’ ‘Lucille’ or ‘womanfish’ on the extra tracks, opportunity missed but probably waiting to cash in on the 40th anniversray by including one of those….remixed, then think about adding them on the 50th anniversary when we’ve all left earth and reside mars with mp3 collections because they couldn’t store our collections on the international space station!!!

34. Steve says:

£18 postage at U2.com

35. Gavin says:

Really pleased the 2 cd set has the live gig which is the only thing of interest for me – have the last box set , original cd and the original cd singles and all the original vinyl releases of the time – so I’ll stick to the 2 cd set. Anyone now anything about the how to dismantle an atomic bomb vinyl rerelease due end of march?

36. Kevin says:

Looking forward to this. Hoping the remastering is better than the 2007 set. I always thought the Boy/October/War remastering was much better than UF or JT. Not jazzed about the exclusion of the ‘…Streets…’ single edit, though.

• Neil says:

I agree the remastering was poor on 2007 set but i have to disagree about the UF as i thought the remastering on that was excellent compared to the original which always sounded flat and dull.

37. Keith says:

On udiscover.com vinyl set £110 , The 4 cd set £70 , the Amazon price will probably drop between now and the release date.

38. Kevin says:

This one is a no-brainer, but if they do ever excavate Achtung Baby again, I will wait to hear on the remastering. I didn’t shell out for anything bigger than th the two-disc and I was still irritated that it wasn’t really remastered. That and Zooropa need it.

39. Stevie B says:

Well I loved the original cover so I’m disappointed they’ve replaced it with a colour version. Can’t see the point.

40. Brian says:

Long time U2 fan here.
    One enormous PITA about their live releases is they just can’t give us a complete concert.
    That Madison Square Garden concert is missing:
    The Unforgettable Fire
    Help!
    Bad
    Spanish Eyes

Spanish Eyes is hardly ever played and Bad is a live favourite. ;-(

All to fit it on one cd. There is plenty of room on CD3! Who cares about new remixes??
    BTW the second performance of I Still Haven’t Found is the one with the gospel choir New Voices of Freedom from the Rattle & Hum LP:

I’ll still be getting both cd and vinyl versions of course…..

41. Gerbrand says:

It’s the September 28, 1987 show. The only one where I Still Haven’t Found was played twice, the second time with the New Voices of Freedom gospel choir as included in Rattle and Hum.

42. Henrik Kirkegaard says:

AS a Big fan im surprised to see this boxset.
    We have one realeased in 2007…….
    It look Great though but the new Music in this box is NOT super Great
    Happy but NOT great

43. Enrico G. says:

Why no “Unforgettable fire” and “Bad” from the MSQ gig?
    Very disappointing.
    But pre-ordered on Amazon.de.

44. Elliot says:

I think I’ll go with the 2 CD edition for the live content as I already have the 20th anniversary box. I still need to track down the Boy and War deluxe editions as well.

I skipped the Achtung Baby box as I had most of the remixes and b-sides already. I’m still hoping that the Kindergarten demos are released separately, I’d settle for a digital download if there was no possibility of a CD.

What are the chances of a 20th anniversary box of Pop coming out this year? It would be nice to see another PopMart concert on DVD and CD.

45. Schu says:

With the lack of any new audio (other than an official concert release) it would have been neat to have a ‘making of’ documentary on Bluray with all the videos, a 5.1 mix, hi-rez, . . .etc.
    Especially at this asking price.

46. Eric Slangen says:

Great! Ordered the vinylbox

47. Schu says:

Wow, this concert is missing The Unforgettable Fire and Bad performances!?!? Those are huge omissions even though they are not JT songs..

48. Paul Nyman says:

I will probably just pick up the 2CD w/ Live show, especially to see the Tour this Summer, we aren’t all made of $$ 30 years later…

49. Geoff G says:

As others have said, it’s too pricey, and I have the 2007 box set. I might get the 2CD set and get the downloads of the remixes *gasp*. Because, this is a lot of money for something that is very similar to the 20th anniversary box set.

• Johnny Feathers says:

The digital version appears to be “album only”, at least for now. So I don’t anticipate you’ll be able to (legally) buy just the remixes. Still, for $25 for the complete set, that looks a lot more appealing to me.

50. Adey says:

The cd set is worth around £36 imho. I’m sure it will reduce to around that price before release date, but you never know these days, with greedy, poverty preaching hypocrites like bono.

51. Nick Preece says:

£24.00 Royal Mail Postage on U2s website!!!!!!!! For the Box Set and a T shirt……
    Or €3.90 on Amazon Germany…… work that one out

52. Brian says:

£108?!! Meanwhile, preorder the Nick Cave four disc best of plus book for £38!!

• Ern says:

Totally agree with you Brian, had pre-ordered the Nick Cave 4 CD & book which looks like a bargain compared to what U2 are charging. This is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as content is concerned, considering what you already got with the 20th anniversary SDE. And I’m a fan. Disappointed.

The Edge said that he would like to release a stripped down version of the Pop album, which is 20 years old. I’d like to see that released.

53. Johnny Feathers says:

Just found that the complete audio from the set will be available on iTunes for $25. If I’m gonna end up getting this in order to have the new mixes, that will probably be the way to go. That’s basically $100 for a book of pictures.

54. Steven Campbell says:

For anyone interested, the cheapest place for all the box sets so far of The Joshua Tree 30th is on U2’s universal store, £77 including postage for the 4 CD version which is the one I ordered or £70 before postage, yes it is alot regardless but head to the Universal website as it’s the cheapest so far and I doubt if Amazon or any of the rest will come down by that much even allowing for postage.

55. Mark says:

Where is the SACD or Blu-Ray Audio or Hi-Res Download ? I want to listen to this music in better than CD and Vinyl quality. This is the same reason I didn’t buy the Achtung Baby.

• smorrissey says:

Well you should buy the super deluxe AB edition for sure, the alternative AB disc is a jewel.

• Cris says:

There is a digital-download card which comes with the Uber-DeLuxe and Super-Deluxe editions of Achtung Baby….I got the Uber-Deluxe and downloaded everything in WAV and mp3…

• Mark says:

The reason I didn’t buy the Achtung Baby box set was because their wasn’t any SACD or Blu-Ray Audio or DVD-Audio or Hi-Rez download card.

• probablyrustin says:

Does the lack of a hi-res download really matter when you can rip it from the CD in just as high of a resolution as would have been offered as a download? The lack of SACD/BR/DVD-A/5.1 is a valid complaint though. Surprised they haven’t pursued that avenue at all with their catalog really.

56. Doug says:

I love the album, but am vaguely interested at best in this edition; will wait and see whether the price comes down, and what the word is on the remastering.

57. baward says:

What a camp box design; is that gold?

58. Paul Kent says:

I recently invested in an external blu ray drive so I could rip all the audio from XTC’s Surround Sound Series. I’ve ripped Drums & Wires and Oranges & Lemons, so far. Both albums offer up a total of 6 discs worth of music… at £15 each. Just sayin’!

Seriously, though, this just seems like a blatant cash grab. Half a live show and a glut of contemporary mixes is not enough to entice me, I’m afraid. I feel a shark may have been jumped at some point.

• Trash says:

Yes I went through a similar thing because I wanted the instrumental versions from Skylarking, Drums and Wires, Oranges and Lemons and Nonsuch.

I know this is a U2 thread but as well as agreeing regarding the bargain value of the XTC deluxe releases I have to urge any XTC fan to listen to the instrumental versions of these albums – you really get to appreciate the intricacy of the arrangements and the sheer musicality too the work.

59. Paul Foster says:

Udiscover music store have the vinyl set for £110.

60. ADRIAN BARRETT says:

Roll on 2021 and the 30th anniversary edition of Achtung Baby.

20 LPs housed in the boot of a Trabant.

First 100 come with a blow up doll of Bono (in platforms).

61. R.Naud says:

Milking the system as always. They should have made a second box set the same size as the 20th anniversary box with the new stuff (live album + bonus disc and Edge’s photo book) to make the 2 boxes complementary.
    P.S The white background and the colour pics just don’t work. It’s less classy that the black & white pics with the black and gold lay-out/design.

62. Allan Johansen says:

Will just stay with to my 20 anniversary mini box, but will look forward to next year’s 30 ann. box of ‘Rattle and Hum’ with remastered CD (double?) of the album, CD of outtakes (if any), and Blueray of the movie – just a suggestion!

• smorrissey says:

there wasnt’ any rattle and hum 25th and there won’t be a 30th either, Paramount owns some of the rights for that album.

63. Paul Wren says:

Nice to see that the vinyl version includes everything on the CD versions, rather than the usual abridged vinyl box sets we see elsewhere these days.

64. Mack Jigger says:

Basically the 20th anniversary set with a live album and a few remixes.
    Would have been better to give Rattle & Hum the deluxe treatment: with the original album, the film, the book (that came out in 1988), all the remixes (God Part II dance mixes, the 12 minute version of Desire etc), a CD/DVD of the Lovetown tour and the Smile Jamaica gig with Keef.

65. Neil Kelly says:

£108??? Lol stick it multi-millionaire Bono. At this rate you really could ‘Feed the World’ all by yourself!!!

66. Neil says:

The price of that 4 CD version is disgusting even more so when two of the discs are already available on the 2007 box set. These super deluxe editions are getting out of hand with their stupid pricing for what you are actually getting.

67. RJSWinchester says:

I’m quite happy to stick my one CD copy that I haven’t played in over 20 years.

68. Kauwgompie says:

Wow what a nice surpise! A bit disappointed there is no 5.1 Mix but very curious about the new mixes. Most were done by people with U2 roots so im very curious. As there are only 6 songs on one cd, will these be sort of modern extended versions? Since there is a dvd missing, there will surely be a 40th anniversary with additional stuff. We’ll see which album will be reissued more, Pet Sounds or Joshua Tree.

69. David Olstein says:

What a wasted opportunity. Way too much overlap between this and the 20th anniversary set. I suppose they had to include the original album, even though it’s a virtual certainty that everyone purchasing the SDE will already have it. The should have given us the complete MSG concert and filled out the second disc with other highlights from the Joshua Tree tour. And instead of recycling all the b-sides and outtakes that appeared on the 20th anniversary set, they should simply have padded out the re-mix CDs with the handful of outtakes that have yet to be released. Honestly, I don’t know what the compiler of this set was thinking.

70. MAPAZ says:

Great set, but this is a semi-missed opportunity for die-hard nerds like me. Legend has it there are (were) some very interesting demos of the album tracks from Adam’s house 1986… those would have been great to hear. The elusive ‘Womanfish’ is perhaps still in the vault, if they ever did get a proper take of it… so perhaps some of these ‘alternate mixes and takes’ included on discs 3 and 4 are in fact period-recordings that will give some insight into the original demos. They did crack the vault-door open with the 2007 reissue: ‘Desert Of Our Love(Weather Girls)’ eventually became ‘I Still Haven’t Found’ after tons of rerecording… and the track ‘Rise Up’ morphed into (or morphed out of) Edge’s and Sinead O’ Connor’s ‘Heroine’. Great stuff from a promising band. Perhaps someday they’ll be quite popular!

71. John Moore says:

There are some great comments posted here and I have been left the feeling I shall wait until it sells cheap- I was so annoyed by the group’s manager claiming how he could suck us in and charge a fortune! No thanks! There have been some big sets over the last year and what we have all learned is everything YES everything gets discounted! Actually would be great if Paul put a list up of all the sets in 2015/2016 which have been discounted and more importantly which have not! I look forward to that post!

• Mike the Fish says:

I think that comment from McGuiness has been taken out of context. A forum littered with ignorance, knee jerk reactions and misinformation ran with the side they wanted to take years ago.

72. Wayne Klein says:

I’m fine with the 2 CD set. This is overpriced considering what you’re getting and I really have no interest in the remixes at all.

73. Louis says:

no Bluray-audio or DVD-audio? no SACD? no 5.1? mmmm…. Expensive for same quality

74. Mic Smith says:

I had largely gone off U2 by the time Joshua Tree came out although I do accept its a classic album and I have a couple of their subsequent albums. I have never owned it myself but became familiar enough with it through the hits and through friends that have it. I might buy the 2CD edition but I’m not the audience they are aiming this at. An audience that appears to be getting smaller based on the comments on here. Good on those that resist the lure of the bigger box which does look to me like a huge rip off.

75. William_M says:

Add to your lists the RSD vinyl release of the new version of red hill mining town coming along in april….its going to be an expensive year for U2 fans

76. Daniel says:

The fact that most of this “new stuff” was available last time the CD was reissued and not reissued at that time is part of a broader pattern among labels and artists that has changed my thinking about how I spend my money on music. In recent years I have waited for re-issue box sets rather than buying CDs as they come out esp. after seeing situations where a “deluxe set” would be released less than a year after the original. But now the re-issue cycle seems to be reissues of reissues. Knowing that I’m going to spend a lot of money on something that is only partially, I’m just not going to do that anymore. In the case of Joshua Tree, I’m feeling that the price was right for the original issue CD that I purchased last week at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles for $1.99USD. Their discount bin is filled with original issue CDs all for $1-3USD. I’ll never feel burned at that price. And while there was a time I would have felt bad about not supporting the bands, that time has past once they stopped supporting their fans. Now, I’ll spend full price buying records from independent bands who are on tour and are working with a more fan-friendly economic model.

• J T says:

The new two-disc version is only a couple of dollars more than the original one-disc release in 1987, despite three decades of inflation (Great Recession notwithstanding) in the interim. To say it another way, we’d’ve been charged nearly the $20 list price for each of the studio and live albums back in the day and now we can basically get both for the price of one, with the added value of the remaster.

How is that not “supporting their fans”? Yeah, if you already have the album—as in got it for the first time last week in the discount bin—then you don’t sound like “the fans” they’d be supporting or not. Maybe you’re not one of the louts complaining you got a free, brand-new U2 album on your iPhone a couple years ago.

And to the SDE version, back in 1987 each one of those remixes and b-sides would’ve required us to buy individual CD maxi singles for the respective titles’ releases, at inflated import prices to boot ($11.99 ring a bell?), or worse, trying to hunt down some white-label promo at a DJ shop over a span of a year or more as each single dropped. And remember how they’d have the B-side on the CD single and the remix on a separate CD single, and a different B-side on the domestic than was on the import, forcing completists to buy three separate discs for often just half a dozen tracks, three of which were duplicative? This SDE version, then, is probably no more expensive than what one would’ve paid to collect these and/or similar elements (again, without the remastering, the book, and all the special packaging) back then.

Good on you for supporting new, independent bands. I kind of feel the other way around lately. After spending considerable cash and countless evenings seeing local bands and new artists often more than once1, rarely even buying two copies of a favorite, underrated artist’s new release while it was scaling the charts for maximum impact, I look at it much less now as supporting an artist and more as buying the music I want in the format I prefer. And while I’m always open to new music, I find myself less interested in supporting up-and-coming artists than I am in supporting the continuing careers of my favorites from back in the day, whether it’s new stuff or expanded remasters of classics.

A bargain is always great, but as long as you’re contemplating paying 1/5th to 1/10th the list price for music you suspect you might feel burned by (and shortchanging the artist), the other side of that coin is to contemplate why shouldn’t we pay 5 or 10 times as much as a standard, mediocre album’s list price for the best albums by our favorite artists through our lives—especially when they’re re-released with extensive added value? When I think of all the albums I bought where I was really only drawn to one or two tracks (and that attraction faded quickly) versus all the amazing favorites through the years, be they one-hit wonders or classic albums, if I had do it all over again I’d pass on most of the mostly-filler stuff and pay double or triple or more for the favorites.

Wouldn’t most of us? And isn’t that kind of the point of Super Deluxe Editions to begin with?

Which isn’t to say to the industry, hey, theoretically some of us would pay that for some music, so go ahead and charge more—nor is it even to say I’m going to drop $125 on this set—it’s just why do we expect popular artists’ entertainment releases to all cost the same exact amount when nearly everything else has a broad range of pricing based (often, if not usually) on the actual quality and/or value for the money?

And before anyone says, “yeah, but music is subjective,” if you didn’t like the music in the first place, the conversation about buying special editions of it would be moot anyway, no?

To the idea that most of this new material would’ve been available when they put the last anniversary edition out a decade ago, the alternative is the much-maligned “pointless” collections with no added value.

Don’t buy it, but don’t blame the artist or the label for putting out a value-added remaster in a high-quality package. Most people argue against collections that don’t add anything over the previous iteration, so the problem with them not emptying the vaults on the value-added SDE last time kind of escapes me. I’m happy to see favorites get re-released every ten years with some added value; I’d much rather that than that they get lost to history, relegated to dusty discount bins and dingy eBay lots, because the artists and labels feel they can’t refresh the release or dig out something new/old on the big birthdays.

77. Steve says:

For whoever asked: universal have Atomic Bomb due end of March on Vinyl. Should stop people selling it for extortionate prices on eBay.

78. Gavin says:

The 2 cd set is £14.99 on hmv -4 cd £74.99
    I’m more excited about the atomic bomb vinyl repress – but why now all that you can’t leave behind?

79. Klaus says:

Regarding that i bought the 20th anniversary 2CD + DVD box on AmazonUK several years ago for GBP 18 i, too, think that this new CD-box currently is waaaay to expensive. As other comments already pointed out either i’ll wait ’til this comes down 50% the least, or i’ll just pass on this one.

80. Peter says:

I bet the 4cd version will be in the £25-30 range within the end of 2017.
    I’m not even remotely interested in this set of crap, but for those who want to buy it, i’d suggest to wait some 2-3 months after release date and save a lot of money.

81. el nino says:

Not wishing to be negative but how long before the gold foil peels off due to handling or being rubbed on it’s neighbours? Might make mint copies rocket in price later?

82. John Hirst says:

I’ve seen plenty of sets that I think have been overpriced over the years, but this one, at least the vinyl version, doesn’t have that feel to me. I accept that this could be a more comprehensive trawl through the archives. If they had done a similar “uber deluxe” as they had done for Achtung Baby (still the greatest box set of all time – and the most expensive I own) I would have probably ponied up for that. Having said that seven LPs plus the coffee table book and the prints, which will fit well in the easily changeable LP cover frames I have on the wall, and it starts to look decent value at the Amazon Germany price point.

83. peter chrisp says:

I must admit as i am a classic rock fan since i was knee high to a grasshopper to me it’s one of the finest albums in rock, period, brilliant. After buying the original album way back to the
    future and 20 years later the anniversary edition and now we see their latest box of delights. Out of curiousity the 20th edition dvd inclusive would that be the same as the Live at Madison
    Square Garden 30th edition? As suggested the price so far for cd/vinyl 108 pounds & 156 pounds hmm, interesting.

• Gavin says:

20th anniversary DVD is live in Paris 1987 – you can get the audio as a download via Amazon – spoiled by an abandoned with or without you due to crowd crush

84. peter chrisp says:

I am assuming the live cd at Madison Square Garden as above is a total of 17 tracks and that would add up to i’d say 70-75 minutes while the original 2oth Anniversary edition with the dvd
    has 21 tracks 17 plus 4 encores.

85. Phil Wilson says:

Amazon price dipped to £14.99 for the 2CD version, so that is what now shows up via the pre-order price promise ( although it is still showing as £19.99 on the movers and shakers page).

86. Phil Wilson says:

I just want to put this out there – Rattle and Hum is my favourite U2 album. Would love an expanded version – Extra CD of b-sides, full live album (maybe the New Years Eve one)

87. Alan B says:

Bought the 20th anniversary deluxe edition for £6.98 brand new sealed from Amazon in 2009. Kind of puts the 30th anniversary prices in perspective.

88. movement says:

I have the 20th anniversary edition. The mastering is lousy. Fortunately I have the MFSL edition.
    I’m not paying super deluxe prices for this if there is no hi-res audio on there. I waited patiently on The Unforgettable Fire and ultimately got it at a more reasonable price.
    I may buy the 2CD version if they fix the mastering on the proper album.

89. Steven C says:

illustrates what a bargain the original Super Deluxe Edition from 2007 was…came with a DVD, same masters as this box, and a good deal of content. I paid $32 to pre-order brand new before super deluxe boxes became a thing. I’ll still get the Vinyl box though… looks nice.. say anywhere if there’s a download code?

90. Harold Steptoe says:

Ludicrously overpriced, and it’s going to be overshadowed by the Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary release and The Stone Roses new album anyway.

• smorrissey says:

Perhaps won’t, apparently Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary release will only include 2 bonus songs, strawberry fields and penny lane….lol

91. paul says:

looks fantastic but overpriced just like achtung baby was.

92. Robert says:

Since U2 announced a tour where they are going to play “The Joshua Tree” live, I am not surprised that there is going to be a 30th anniversary of this album. It is one of U2’s best albums. I am going to purchase the 4CD Super Deluxe Edition box set. Although it’s overpriced, just like the upcoming SDE of Paul McCartney’s “Flowers In The Dirt”.

Maybe this is going to be the start to re-release more U2 albums.

93. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 11 March 2017 | superdeluxeedition

94. Rich says:

They’ve missed a trick not including a live DVD. It’ll be the 2CD set for me.

95. Joe says:

This is a rare case where I think I actually prefer the CD version, just to get that cool alternate cover art.

96. Mathew Lauren says:

BONO: No 5.1? No interest. What a terribly missed opportunity, (U2) guys!

97. Gerbrand says:

This has “cashing in” written all over it, in textured embossed gold foil. An extended reissue of Rattle and Hum is long overdue. Solve those right issues with Paramount, if any.

Also, The Best Of 2000-2010 would be appreciated, especially the bonus-disc with so many B-sides, rarities and outtakes available from this period (Winter, Mercy, North Star to name a few).

98. Neil says:

What’s the betting they use the same remaster from the 2007 reissue which wasn’t very good at all and as far as i’m aware they never even bothered to remaster Achtung Baby and Zooropa on the last box set.

99. Gisabun says:

I’m going to stick with the 2CD edition. Don’t need the 4th CD as it duplicates [one exception] the 2007 edition. Then there are the remix. Big whoopee. Don’t need a friggen book either.

100. Dave McGonigle says:

How many members of U2 does it take to screw in a lightbulb? One – Bono just holds it, and the world revolves around him…

*boom tish*

101. Oli says:

Where is : “The Unforgettable Fire”, “Help”, “Bad” and “Spanish Eyes” ?
    (setlist Madison Square Garden ’87)

• Johnny Feathers says:

Omitted, ostensibly to fit the show on a single disc. I understand if Help was a rights issue, but the other three are really unfortunate not to keep in the set.

102. Adey says:

Does anybody know if the madison square garden show is the same show that is available in its entirety from wolfgangs vault?

103. Steve says:

Yes it is the Wolfsgang vault show

104. William_M says:

well at least the price is starting to fall nicely on amazon.co.uk, hopefully it will continue to do so

105. Kevin says:

Holy crap. It has already fallen to $110.00 on the US site as well.

106. Kevin says:

The US Amazon track listing actually has (2007 Remastered Album) after each track.

Too bad. A new remaster would have been nice.

107. Daniel says:

Still no sign of a Rattle & Hum deluxe set, let alone a Super Deluxe set, same as Pop, which celebrates it’s 20th anniversary this year.

U2 are really milking the Joshua Tree cow now. I guess they have nothing new to say, so it’s time to start touring on the back of their old albums properly. They’re rapisly turning into Billy Joel. And yes, I’m a U2 fan and have been since 1981. And no, I won’t be buying this rehashed set. Bono and Co can make their millions off others now who don’t remember when they were a bloody good and important band, instead of the joke they’ve become.

• smorrissey says:

Paramount owns some rights for that album, that’s the reason also U2 consider Pop a failure as i do too so no remaster for that album. Yes they had a brand new record finished to go out but Trump change things for them, now this year they are just playing safe $$ while they write new songs.

108. Neil says:

£73 for 4CDs two of which have been previously released and are easily obtainable. Then you have an incomplete live concert and another CD with remixes that probably lasts less than 30 minutes.

• smorrissey says:

I agree that’s the reason i only preordered the iTunes super deluxe version price is more or less decent for that.

• Christine Crelkin says:

As of Tuesday 14 March at 8:23, the UK price is £132.62. What on earth are Amazon playing at!!!!!!!!!

• Neil says:

Yes and i noticed the vinyl has gone up to £192.73. The person setting the pricing on there must be on some sort of hallucinogenic drugs.

109. Wills says:

I have noticed that is does not have on the Amazon listing, a orange tag saying “best seller”. After years of following Pauls blog, nearly everytime, a boxset etc is mentioned it goes best seller on Amazon.

I went through my previous purchases of U2 boxsets with Amazon, to make sure I had not gone into a parallel universe. Unforgetable Fire I paid £30, Joshua Tree £23 and the big Super Deluxe Achtung Baby £76

110. Schu says:

The bang for the buck (quid) is seriously lacking here compared to the other U2 album deluxe sets, unless you love the big picture books.

111. Pablo says:

I wondering if @ 50th anniversary will be available a ultra super mega deluxe with a “tiny joshua tree” for your garden.

I can´t believe why it is necessary this kind of releases… too expensive and Im not surprised with the content list.

sorry…

112. Lee Taylor says:

Too bad there’s no vinyl reissue of the album alone. My inclination would be to buy that and the SDE on CD.

113. Carl says:

I’m looking forward to getting the SDE but I don’t understand why one of the bonus discs is the exact same as the 2007 deluxe edition. I’m also looking forward to the live disc from MSG but I wish they would have included a DVD this time like they did in 2007. Oh well, nothing’s perfect.