Universal Music blame ‘hand-packing’ issue for Soft Cell DVD problems

Universal Music have issued a statement to Soft Cell fans who are having playback issues with the DVD from their Keychains and Snowstorms box set.

SDE highlighted this issue on Tuesday, and since that time over 100 fans have left comments, confirming that they are experiencing issues like ‘juddering’ playback, or even no playback at all.

In a post today on the Soft Cell website the label say:

“Universal Music are sorry to inform you that owing to a hand-packing issue, some of the DVD discs featured in the Soft Cell Keychains & Snowstorms Boxset have been damaged causing playing issues, such as freezing and juddering.”

We would like to make you aware that due to this issue we are currently pressing additional copies of the DVD for anyone who has been affected. If you have experienced problems with your DVD and would like a replacement disc, please contact infoumc@umusic.com with proof of purchase (a scan, screen grab or photo of the receipt will do) and your address and it will be sent out to you.”

As explanations go, “hand-packing issue” is vague and I’d be interested in SDE readers’ thoughts as to what this might mean.

Universal also address the “small number of fans” who have had problems with the spine in the booklet. They say:

“Again, if this is an issue, please contact the above e-mail address with a photo of the damaged spine and proof of purchase and we will send out a replacement booklet. Please do not contact the retailer you bought your box set from as Universal are dealing with it directly, and kindly please do not post any further issues on social media. Please note that re-pressings of the box set will include a new packing solution to prevent this happening again, so if you have not ordered your box set yet, please order with confidence.”

Soft Cell’s representatives have added their own thoughts and thank fans for their understanding but also make a point of encouraging them to “move on please”. This is their statement:

“Thank you for your understanding on this matter. It’s as frustrating for us as it is for those affected, but we are very glad that Universal have solved the problem so quickly. We trust this minor hiccough does not affect your enjoyment of the box set, so let’s all move on please – we’d love to hear what you think about ‘Keychains & Snowstorms’.

Thanks again to so many of you for your ongoing support, and we’ll see you at the O2 in a couple of weeks!”

Keychains and Snowstorms is out now.

Soft Cell

1. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye (Dave Ball Lateral Mix) 7.08
  2. Youth (Dave Ball Wasted On The Young Mix) 5.41
  3. Secret Life (Extended Mix) 5.17
  4. Chips On My Shoulder (Extended Mix) 6.14
  5. Facility Girls (2018 Mix) 7.43
  6. Heat (Alternative Version) 6.04
  7. Kitchen Sink Drama (Extended Mix)
  8. The Art Of Falling Apart (Extended Mix) 8.47
  9. Martin (Hallowe’en Mix) 6.14
  10. Barriers (Dave Ball Broken Down Angels Mix) 7.09
  11. Meet Murder, My Angel (Extended Mix) 6.00
  12. Slave To This (Life Of Existence Mix)

Disc 4 : Rarities, Alternative Versions and Curios

1. The Girl With The Patent Leather Face (Original Version) 4.57
  2. A Man Could Get Lost (Daniel Miller Vocal Edit)
  3. Memorabilia (Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing Version) 5.21
  4. Forever The Same (Unreleased Extended Version) 10.58
  5. Heat (US 7″ Version) 4.01
  6. Loving You, Hating Me (Special USA Mix) 7.45
  7. Martin 10.13
  8. Hendrix Medley (Hey Joe, Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile) 10.22
  9. Numbers (7″ DJ Version) 4.26
  10. Down In The Subway (7″ Remix Version) 4.21
  11. L’Esqualita (7″ Version) 4.22
  12. Soul Inside (Demo) 5.21
  13. So (Dave Ball Demo Outtake) 3.16

Disc 5 : The Early Years 1978-81

1. Memorabilia (Original Daniel Miller Mix)
  2. Persuasion (Original Daniel Miller Mix)
  3. Metro MRX (Flexipop Version)
  4. A Man Could Get Lost (Daniel Miller Demo)
  5. The Girl With The Patent Leather Face (Demo)
  6. Tainted Love (Demo)
  7. Bedsitter (Demo)
  8. Potential (From Mutant Moments EP)
  9. L.O.V.E Feelings (From Mutant Moments EP)
  10. Metro MRX (From Mutant Moments EP)
  11. Frustration (From Mutant Moments EP)
  12. Red Tape, Sticky Tape (Demo – Previously Unreleased)
  13. Martin (Original 1980 Demo)
  14. Paranoid (Black Sabbath Cover)
  15. Science Fiction Stories (Demo)
  16. Bleak Is My Favourite Cliché (Demo)
  17. Cleaning Fanatic (Demo)
  18. Mix (Demo)
  19. A Man Could Get Lost (Original Version)
  20. Walking Make Up Counter (Live at Leeds Polytechnic, December 1979)
  21. Occupational Hazard (Live at Leeds Polytechnic, December 1979)
  22. Persuasion (Live at Leeds Polytechnic, December 1979)
  23. Dave’s Theme (Previously Unreleased Demo)

Disc 6 : In Session / Reunion / Cruelty Without Beauty

1. Entertain Me (Richard Skinner Radio 1 Session)
  2. Seedy Films (Richard Skinner Radio 1 Session)
  3. Chips On My Shoulder (Richard Skinner BBC Radio 1 Session)
  4. Youth (BBC Whistle Test)
  5. Sex Dwarf (BBC Whistle Test)
  6. Soul Inside (David Jensen BBC Radio 1 Session)
  7. Where Was Your Heart (When You Needed It Most) (David Jensen BBC Radio 1 Session)
  8. God Shaped Hole (Remix)
  9. Divided Soul (Hooker Mix)
  10. Somebody, Somewhere, Sometime
  11. Monoculture – Dave Ball Extended Mix
  12. The Night
  13. Darker Times
  14. Last Chance
  15. Together Alone
  16. Caligula Syndrome
  17. Desperate

Disc 7 : Non-Stop Euphoric Dubbing (Continuous Mix) & Remixes

1. Barriers (Dave Ball Broken Down Angels Dub)
  2. Numbers (Extended Dub)
  3. Youth (Dave Ball Wasted On The Youth Dub)
  4. Where The Heart Is (Marcus Lancaster Dub)
  5. Seedy Films (Richard X Dub)
  6. L.O.V.E Feelings (Demo)
  7. L’Esqualita (Dub)
  8. Loving You, Hating Me (Dub)
  9. Baby Doll (Dub)
  10. Facility Girls (2018 Mix Dub)
  11. Little Rough Rhinestone (Solvent Dub Mix)
  12. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye (Dave Ball Lateral Dub)
  13. Bedsitter (Erasure Remix)
  14. Where The Heart Is (The Grid Remix : 2018 Re-Edit)
  15. So (The Grid Remix)

12. Martin
  13. The Art Of Falling Apart

Disc 9 : Live In Los Angeles, 83 (Part 2) plus other live recordings

1. Hey Joe/Purple Haze
  2. Memorablilia
  3. Heat
  4. Ghost Rider (with Clint Ruin)
  5. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
  6. Live at Hammersmith Palais, 84 (Fan Recording)
  7. Numbers (Live) 5.29
  8. It’s A Mug’s Game (Live) 8.12
  9. The Best Way To Kill (Live) 5.20
  10. Down In The Subway (Live) 4.01
  11. UK Tour, Live in 2003
  12. Barriers (Live) 5.29
  13. Tainted Love Where Did Our Love Go? (Live) 9.00
  14. Sex Dwarf (Live) 6.17
  15. Surrender (To A Stranger) (Live) 4.22

Disc 10 : DVD (NTSC all regions):

THE NON-STOP EXOTIC VIDEO SHOW
Entertain Me + Bedsitter + Frustration + Torch + Seedy Films + Secret Life + Tainted Love + Youth + Memorabilia + Sex Dwarf + What + Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

ADDITIONAL PROMO VIDEOS
Where The Heart Is + Soul Inside + Down In The Subway + Monoculture

OXFORD ROAD SHOW PERFORMANCES (BBC)
(Two Appearances)
Chips On My Shoulder + Say Hello, Wave Goodbye + Bedsitter + Heat + Numbers

OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST PERFORMANCES (BBC)
Youth + Sex Dwarf

TOP OF THE POPS PERFORMANCES (BBC)
Tainted Love + Bedsitter + Torch + What + Where The Heart Is + Soul Inside + The Night (TOTP2 2003) + Torch (TOTP2 2002) + Tainted Love (Top Of The Pops Reunion 2001)

THE TUBE PERFORMANCES (CH4)
Where The Heart Is + The Art Of Falling Apart + Martin

THE SWITCH PERFORMANCES (CH4)
Soul Inside + Ghost Rider (with Clint Ruin)

SUPERSONIC CHRISTMAS SPECIAL 1983 (ITV)
Down In The Subway

LIVE AT THE AMNESIA CLUB, LEEDS 28/5/81
LOVE Feelings + Frustration + Metro MRX + Seedy Films + The Girl With The Patent Leather Face + Chips On My Shoulder + Tainted Love + Bedsitter + A Man Could Get Lost + Memorabilia

115 responses to Universal Music blame ‘hand-packing’ issue for Soft Cell DVD problems

1. Steve says:

Anyone had their replacement discs yet?
    As it was supposedly a handling issue I would’ve thought they might have been able to replace them by now but I’m still waiting and still contemplating a total refund from point of purchase

2. Neil Kelly says:

Hand picking lol.

For some balance i watched most of the DVD which is very unusual for me on the first night. It all seemed to play fine on my Blu ray recorder including the BBC section. I’ve asked for a new copy though naturally as i haven’t quite watched it all i should’ve have to watch the bits that i don’t want to and if the new copy is re-authorised (a simple replacement we all agree will fail wasting far more money so i have to believe the new copies will be different). Plus just cause it plays in 2018 on one machine doesn’t mean it’ll play on whatever is below my TV in 2030. We are all entitled to a new copy regardless. They won’t replace copies we find fault with in 2030. Doubt they will even in 2019!

I’ve had dreadful problems with the Bananarama Live 2018 stuff. It’s the first Blu ray i’ve tried playing on my Blu ray recorder which totally fails. Can only play on my Xbox One S.
    Bearing this is mind i thought i’d go for the later release via the 2xCD/DVD. The DVD doesn’t play in my car! So annoying i have to play the CD instead. But to be honest Madness: Madstock DVD and PIL’s This is PIL DVD doesn’t play in the car either! I’m quite sure many more DVD’s don’t play in the car. There must be a difference in DVD manufacture i guess.

3. mike says:

my dvd doesn’t work here -went to BBC section-and it would not play– and i sent an e-mail to the above address provided. . and i believe that it will be fixed!!
    i love SOFT CELL and i am excited for this year despite living in USA and not being able to see the concert. I am sure this DVD issue will be fixed!! I am still hopeful also for another full lenth soft cell album!!

4. Soft Cell BS says:

I just got this abomination today. My DVD (which visually is in perfect shape) will not read on my player or PC, my book split the second time I opened it, and the audio is EXTREMELY compressed. Fail.

5. Fred van de Peppel says:

Box finally arrived yesterday, carefully unpacked the DVD and straight into PC to make a copy with DVDShrink. Of course this means a lesser quality but considering the source material on the DVD still very watchable. PC had some trouble ripping the info from the disc but it finally worked. Burnt a back-up DVD and just watched everything on the DVD. Everything worked , no freezing whatsoever…
    Happy with that but of course this shouldn’t be normal when ordering a box-set.

6. dazzler says:

I blame Universal for the numerous mistakes made in deluxe releases since the beginning of their projects.

7. Michael McA says:

Can anyone tell me if ‘Non Stop Erotic Video Show’ is complete with the snippets between songs – including the ‘pissed again and it’s only 11 in the morning’ classic.

8. Jack Moon says:

It’s unreasonable to tell people to ‘move on’ and refrain from social media comment – isn’t social media the forum for correcting these issues? A prime example of corporate malfeasance, to be completely rejected!

• Tom says:

I agree, Jack.

Unfortunately, one of the duo’s managers is a defensive, argumentative character who isn’t gracious in receiving feedback. When fans were asking about content, during the compilation stage of the box set, he was swatting them away like nuisance flies.

All we were asking was for previously unreleased content on a digital format to be included, which was – at the time – the instrumental of Say Hello, Wave Goodbye and the single version of Barriers.

Since then, the one CD singles compilation, which is due imminently, will include the Barriers edit.

It’s just disappointing that management can be arrogant towards the very target market that they’re selling the product to. Even Paul got a bit of a lashing from said individual, about jumping the gun on the band’s plans, despite the fact that Amazon UK had the product listed and it was hardly embargoed.

9. Tom says:

I sincerely hope that the UMC team’s inference that this was a packing issue was just smoke and mirrors to prevent an in-house bollocking over poor DVD production. If they’re simply repressing further discs, we’ll be no further forward.

That aside, it’s been acknowledged quickly, but yet again the attitude from one of the duo’s managers continues to highlight a lack of diplomacy and courtesy.

The box is great and the audio material is satisfying. I’m just hoping I’m wrong about the DVD.

• Mark Leach says:

Hi thanks to all for the heads up,mine wouldn’t play either so just emailed Universal to see if they honour replacement in a timely manner. Shame really we go through this regularly, had same problem with Simple Minds Super deluxe

10. Synthgrizz says:

I have brand new and quite pricey Pioneer Blu-ray player and the DVD played fine in the beginning. I was able to watch the whole Non-Stop Exotic Video Show except the last track Memorabilia when the picture froze. I managed to get back to the sub menu by hitting the next button several times. The real trouble began when I tried to play the BBC appearances. Picture froze again and nothing helped but pulling the plug from my player. Very annoying. I have a collection of thousands of DVDs and Blu-rays and this has happened maybe two or three times in 20 years. Of course this is NOT a hand-packing issue – all the CDs play fine and I guess they were probably packed by the very same hands.

11. Noel Fitzsimons says:

Firstly I am really thrilled that my DVD is in perfect working order & the booklet is minty fresh – hurrah – I’m usually the recipient of whatever fault is going around.

My box set arrived on Monday and I’m only exploring it today. Overall the set is reminiscent of the (very hard to get) Trials of Eyeliner from last year. The aforenentioned DVD is my favourite disc – I’ve never seen some of these performances. However is not possible to digitise old & what I presume was analogue television footage from back in the day – can any technophobes out there answer this please. In particular I loved the other perfomers on the Oxford Road Show from March 1983 – Honest Dick Witts with Straight Art indeed. And – what ever happened to First Priority. LOL

This is a great box set – although still no full 12″ vinyl version of Say Hello..and also for what will be (for me anyway) a redundant Disc 7 – the pointless Non -Stop Eurphoric Dubbing nonsense – come on guys. Well it might grow on me!

I’m enjoying listening to all these marvellous tracks again – I could be sitting somewhere in the middle of 1982 – if only.

Glad tidings pop pickers.

• Eibon says:

Quote: “However is not possible to digitise old & what I presume was analogue television footage from back in the day – can any technophobes out there answer this?”

Not sure what you mean? The footage on the disc is digitised from various sources, do you mean why can’t it be improved further? Also “technophobes” would be people with a fear of technology, not experts.

Quote: “although still no full 12″ vinyl version of Say Hello..“.

Well Ibelieve this does have the full version, only Numbers and Soul Inside are edited. I think you’re getting confused by complaints the 7” instrumental is not included but since noone is claiming this is a comprehensive set, it’s not “missing”.

Quote: “… what will be (for me anyway) a redundant Disc 7 – the pointless Non -Stop Eurphoric Dubbing nonsense – come on guys. Well it might grow on me!”

Personally it was a key selling point for me, I do love a dub mix and this is a wonderful compliment to the set. I might agree with you on that point if it was simply a segue of tracks from disc 3, but they’re additional versions of the songs and thus very welcome. If you dislike dub mixes, then that may be a challenge, but this is very listenable -More Gorillaz vs Spacemonkeys than Massive Attack/Mad Professor. Do give it a chance when you tire of the other fantastic discs.

12. BRUCE NICHOLSON says:

I don’t understand how something with such a long lead in time can have these problems. The email address given out by Universal works fine, but since sending my email on Thursday I’ve had no reply. I appreciate they are probably getting quite a lot of emails, but they couldn’t even muster up an automatic email.

• The Art of Falling Apart says:

I may be the only one, but I’m actually very disappointed with the Soft Cell Boxed Set Book (the music content is great).

The book is basically a long feature article by Simon Price of information we already know, and quotes from previous interviews (mostly quiet recent interviews, so they are ‘memories’ rather than contemporaneous happenings). How about new interviews with Marc and Dave? How about interviews with Huw Feather, or Stevo (admittedly he was probably kept at arms length from this project). How about delving into the archive interviews?

There is no track-by-track commentary/information. The ‘lyric’ page is truly laughable (a few snippets of lyrics from various songs).

Aside from that, the layout and design of the book doesn’t make the grade for me, and feels like it was perhaps done in a rush or on the cheap. Long blocks of text with not a single sub-heading. The choice of photographs/graphics is very poor – I looked through the 1984 Simon Tibbutt ‘Offical Soft Cell Biography’ the other day, and that was done so much better. Where’s the extensive cover artwork – which was integral to Soft Cell’s marketing and image? The box set book doesn’t contain a single Soft Cell cover artwork – I find that pretty incredible for a boxed set retrospective of this magnitude! It does contain some images of the MasterTape covers which is great (but also frustrating, since songs are listed on the master tape sleeves that we’ve never heard or even referenced). All this after asking fans for photos, images, memorabilia that would be included?!

I believe Soft Cell have an official book coming out in 2019 – perhaps they are saving all the information/images for this forthcoming book. I do hope that they make a better job of it than this!

13. paul griffiths says:

mine only plays on PS4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but has anyone noticed its not remastered…..and am i the only who thinks the packaging is poor(book aside)

14. Planetary says:

Universal seems to have even more than usual QC problems in regards to home video product lately. A few people here may be aware of the huge fiasco regarding their recently released 3D Blu-ray of “Revenge Of The Creature” which was part of both the “Creature From The Black Lagoon” and Universal Classic Monsters box sets being clearly authored incorrectly. Instead of showing a true 3D image, the video is actually two side by side dvd quality images, this after a major 3D restoration was done for the title. Tellingly, they never sent check discs to the restoration company before going to production, normally a typical practice.

Like this Soft Call release, Universal is going to press and offer corrected replacement discs which is good, but you’d think after the money and bad PR they are getting on these kind of easily avoidable screw-ups, some heads would roll and they’d get their act together.

15. Griffin says:

I was considering getting this. But then read about the edited versions of the original extended i felt I’ve been cheated. If they can get a boxset out like this then we have to get the real thing not these edited version. The price is not cheap. And I have most of the original extended versions from previously issued CD’s. So I will hold with pre-ordering. And now this … OMG. Now it’s a definitely BIG NO for me. And especially the ignorance of people working at the record company: “hand packing issue”! I’ve been buying for years off ebay/discogs. Many second CD/DVD with many scratches, fingerprints etc they still played fine. And the attitude problem of their respresentitives “move on”. We are (in this particular case not but I’m their target customer) the paying customers. You can not put something out which isn’t really what we are after (edited versions instead of the full length ones even better the even longer versions perhaps from the vault which were slightly edited/faded out): intentionally edited versions. Then there is a problem with the DVD authoring (I’m not an expert, I just go on the words of the fans). But the record company is (I guess) professional enough to have their people checking whether that is indeed the problem or their “naive” thinking excuse “hand packing issue”. And also we all have the rights to post anything we want on the social media as long as it’s true to the facts. If they are worry about bad publicity then they should have thought a thousand times better: checking & re-checking pre-production and the final product before release. They always tend to rush things out on the street then try to correct the problem. If no one (or not enough people complaining) they wouldn’t do a thing to rectify things. I’m really, really glad we have you (Paul S) and your lovely site as our platform to communicate about new release and especially if there is a problem how we can combine our forces to get the replacements. Many thanks Paul S.

• Eibon says:

I was hesitant when I heard about the edits but then I felt it was terrific that it was flagged well in advance by Dave Ball himself and with a perfectly reasonable reasoning too. Since he apparently edited them, I simply considered them to be official alternate edits. The full versions are available elsewhere and besides, this set was never posited as complete and unexpurgated. As I mentioned earlier, there are BBC session tracks omitted too and several other omissions. Mine arrived today and the packaging, presentation, book and overall value is exquisite. How refreshing to have so much new and unreleased material. The revised versions of the likes of Chips on my Shoulder, Youth and Say Hello (I’m listening to the incredible Disc3 as I write this) are wonderful. Definitely one of my most prized possessions despite the problematic DVD which I will register for replacement. As for the packaging, the press release seems to suggest that scratching might be caused by the card disc holders but my discs arrived pristine and there’s no evidence of manhandling at the factory. That said, for convenience I’ll be rehousing all the discs separately in thin jewel cases. Looks like the NSEVS was properly mastered from the original beta cam tapes too as the image is excellent and should restore the little ad libs that were cut from the previous DVD. Absolutely incredible release and fans shouldn’t hesitate to purchase it while it’s available.

• SimonH says:

I agree, yes the DVD issue is disappointing but it will be solved. The box for me is great.
        Loved listening to the new mixes last night, mastering sounded good as well.
        Just my opinion of course, but I find the focus on the negative issues a bit out of proportion.
        Am hoping to be at the O2 but have an operation next week which I have to recover from first! It’s a good incentive.

• SimonH says:

Totally agree, I love this box. The new mixes are great, and the mastering is good too.
        It’s a shame re the DVD but I think the negative comments are way out of proportion.
        Listening to the LA gig now, absolutely brilliant.
        A lot of work went into this and I appreciate it.
        Roll on the O2 gig, it’s touch and go for me as I have an operation next week and have 11 days to recover enough to attend. It’s a good incentive, wish me luck!

16. Electric Sydney says:

What’s all this about “bad hand-packing”, what they need is a damn good whacking!

17. quatrmass says:

The box set review on the Goldmine (USA) website covers the DVD problems very well

18. Eibon says:

The only mishandling going on is being done by UMCs pr team. This is clearly an authoring or dvd book compliance issue and if UMC think it is just scratches causing the issue, they will repress more faulty discs and the backlash will continue. They should investigate properly and be completely transparent, and in the face of complaints about the missed new tracks, throw in a cd. Regarding the move on comment, while it could have been messaged better, I really feel for Dave & Marc. Dave had been working excitedly on the project for a long time and he wouldve been really looking forward to hearing the reworks and nonstop mixes getting positive comments and being judged on their musical merits. Instead the whole project is being overshadowed by an all too common manufacturing snafu. If this was their swan song culmination of their recorded works, its a shame its been tainted by this small issue that could easily be rectified by UMC.

• Loving You....Hating Me says:

As I have posted below the “move on” comment is absolutely wrong, a terrible bit of PR and an example of how not to communicate with people.

However, as I also said it appears that within 48 hours or so of having been made aware of the problem Universal Music have a) apologised b) given a plausible reason (individuals choice to believe/accept this or not) and c) offered to mail out to people effected a replacement disc.

So, I think you will find that this small issue has been easily rectified by UMC…

19. KevinK says:

Fair play for the quick response, but Universal have only said they’re ” currently pressing additional copies of the DVD” … not that they’re fixing any authoring issues. It will be interesting to see if the replacement discs are actually any different.
    If they are identical, but this time play OK, their ” hand-packing issue” excuse may have some credence. If the disc is actually corrected/re-authored, that’s great but it means they should have admitted there was a real problem. Or we could all just end up with two non-working DVDs!

• Ian Harris says:

@KevinK – I think you’ve hit a nail on the head I had not considered. It seems Universal might be thinking the issue with the DVDs not playing is because they are marked / scratched in some way, rather than because someone messed up the authoring of the discs. In that light their excuse of ‘hand-packing’ makes sense.

I now fear we’re just going to get new discs with the same issue.

Paul – are you able to get in touch with UMC and explain what the problem actually is to them?

20. Ian Harris says:

Obviously I’m glad Universal have dealt with this and quickly. But like so many others I find their attitude condescending and patronising.

Blaming people ‘lower down’ the manufacturing process, i.e. the people who put the discs in the sleeves rather than whoever screwed up the authoring of the DVD is pretty low. It also has implication that everything was fine in quality control until those proles who pack the discs got their grubby hands on them. Rather than the truth which is probably no one bothered to check.

In the universal scheme of things (no pun intended) this a minor issue and I’m glad it is getting fixed, but the way it has been handled on social media has really got my back up.

• Chris Squires says:

Excellent point, there almost seems like some kind of Pension protecting going on…. Is it a sackable offense, maybe, maybe not, but surely in a multi-million pound company and with a highly promoted box-set it has to be someone’s job to actually listen to the CDs and play the DVDs through at least once. Someone plainly didn’t do that. Whomever that was or the head of that department plainly doesn’t need (another?) cock-up on their CV.

It has to be asked (even though we probably know the answer) why did this kind of thing never happen in the 70s, 80s or 90s? Or did it happen but we just never heard about it? I can’t recall ever having to schlep back to HMV with a dodgy copy of QE2 or Never for Ever.

Progress?

• Paul Waddington says:

Chris, not exactly a pressing problem, but I bought the only copy of the Swordfish release of the Lilac Time that my local record shop got in, but it jumped on one of the tracks, so I took it back. As it was the only copy he had to return it and request another. I patiently waited, although I didn’t really have much choice unless I travelled to Sheffield or Leeds. After a few weeks of pestering the bloke in the shop, he explained that there were no more copies available, but the ‘good’ news was that it will be getting re-released on Fontana and they are polishing up a couple of the tracks from it. As you can imagine, I wasn’t particularly excited by this news!

I eventually got a copy some years later by ringing someone up who had advertised it in the back of the Record Collector and haggling over the price over the phone, when at last I could confirm that the original version was loads better.

21. JULIA STEVENS says:

Can’t wait for this years Bowie box then…..

22. Gareth Jones says:

Good news, but also, for those who haven’t yet bought the box set, how on earth would you know when to order the re-pressed edition? Leave it a couple of months? Even then, if you ordered from Amazon, there’s no guarantee it would be from the original batch or a re-pressed version. If you order it from the official Soft Cell store right now, does that guarantee “with confidence” that you’ll be receiving a re-pressed version? There’s never enough clarity in these statements!!

23. Neil says:

It’s funny how Amazon UK seem to have this in stock now after people highlighted the problem with the DVD. Why isn’t this being withdrawn till the DVD’s are fixed ?

24. Paul says:

The sad thing is that such laziness with putting the package together has created further cost and maybe even wiped out some/ all of the profit margin on the set.
    This sort of thing might put record labels doing more in the future

• colin bruce says:

at the still very expensive price (which I wont pay) I think there is still a LARGE element of profit here. CDs cost next to nothing.

• CJ says:

CDs don’t cost much to manufacture, but the printing aspects of the box and box might be quite expensive. I run a small press, and you can publish a softback, permabound book (like what you buy at a book shop) pretty cheaply. Bump up to hardback, and the price goes up quite a bit. Add in color printing, the price goes up a huge amount. Do a full bleed on most of the art pages, it just became much more expensive. Plus the book is an irregular size. All of those points can make the production costs quite high. I can’t give you an exact quote, obviously, because I don;t know what kind of contracts Universal is working with with the publishers they are using, but by time you coordinate all those costs with the disc pressing, the hand packing (which, I guess according to them, they obviously overpaid for), and the fact that they don’t actually sell for list price, then I would venture their actual profit margin on this might be around 20% of what we’re paying for list price. Maybe. (That’s just a very, very rough guess).

So doing a repressing and then also having to pay shipping to all the individual customers rather than recouping shipping costs from sending to wholesalers and retail outlets, it may actually cut a pretty big whole into what they were making.

25. Eamonn says:

I think they must have had a wager with their cohorts at Warners – “I bet we can out-do your Bowie Heroes heat-transfer bullshit”.

26. Robert Lett says:

This happens so often it doesn’t shock me at this point. The fact that they are offering replacements so quickly is great even if the rest sounds a bit dodgy. In the end I just want the corrected one so it’s OK whatever. Like the poster above said yes do it quickly sometimes the replacement programs are short. That said, I requested one particular replacement CD from Demon/Edsel two years after one replacement program (and the box set had actually gone out print by then) and the fellow sent me one within a week. So it varies I guess depending on how many replacements they make, how long they last, and the particular people/company you are dealing with. I’m just happy to get a corrected one in any case.

27. PC says:

“Hand-packing?” “Move on?” “Don’t post on social media?”

How about “Sorry”?

Hand-packing is the lamest lie of an excuse I’ve yet heard for record companies getting things very wrong. The reason they then say “don’t post on social media” is because they don’t want people to be be tipped off that the DVD is a dud. They are taking a guess that most people will be more interested in the CDs and by the time they get around to playing the DVD they’ll be told it’s too late to get a replacement copy. And many people will never play the DVDs and so will not even know there’s a problem unless alerted to it by others. (I rarely play the DVDs that come with box sets, so I’ve probably got a few that don’t work.)

People should keep on posting about it on social media about this so the record company is forced to fix it for as many people as possible. Maybe then they’ll spend a couple of hours playing the DVD for the next box set to make sure it works.

And for Soft Cell’s management to say “move on” is so insulting. It’s a buyer’s market out there, you would to well to treat us with a bit of respect.

• Danny says:

Given the way Dave Ball’s manager behaved here a few months ago when the set was announced, the comment is positively restrained…

28. Eric says:

So, a project that’s been trailed for months, and costs upwards of £75 to buy, finally arrives but nobody checked that the DVDs would play, nobody checked that the packaging design wouldn’t mess up the book, and the whole thing came out too quickly to include the brand new material either (nevermind, bundle it exclusively with another format and the fans can buy it there for more £££s). Hmmm.

The attitude towards customers is startling, and sure to create a bigger backlash than if they’d simply said the discs got corrupted, sorry, we’ll just mail out new ones to everyone who bought the box. It happens. Instead, some nonsense about hand packing? I’m not buying it. Which also, coincidentally, is the same as I’ll be doing with this whole set. Wave goodbye to a possible 80 quid, chaps.

29. Matt Fitch says:

I have a theory as to how the hand packing issue could have happened. I’m thinking there were two boxes of DVDs sitting side by side, red box with blue discs (functional) and blue box with red discs (non functional). Someone must have been pulling from the wrong box!

The same thought had occurred to me, although if I was designing a packing station I wouldn’t put the ‘DON’T USE THESE DVDS!’ box anywhere near the folks whose job it was to pack DVDs!

• Tim says:

When they say hand-packing they may not mean this literally. If the discs are pressed by machine, then maybe they are packed by machine also? This may have caused the problem. Still, you would have thought they would have thought of that. It is a shame. My copy was fine until I got to one particular section (the BBC performance) then the machine just made grinding noises.

Universal did send me a box but I’m not sure I even want to put the DVD in my expensive OPPO 205 with all the reports here of ‘grinding’ noises and having trouble even getting the disc out!

• Tim says:

I Had to turn my DVD player off at the wall to stop it, as the eject button would not work! Still, the dvd aside, I think this set is great and I love the new mixes, apart from Martin, which I think is less good than the perfect original. I saw most of the dvd and there is a lot on there and it is great!

• Dean says:

Took me 15 very anxious minutes to get the DVD out of my BluRay player…

• Randy Metro says:

Like asking Neo to choose the red pill or the blue pill.

30. Dean says:

I have to say, in the modern age with Social Media, problems – any problems – do get blown out of proportion. People seem to like screaming into the ether in indignation and attention seeking. It happened last year with the Bowie box too.

That said, this must be hugely disappointing. People need to calm down, stop being outraged, and get their replacements. DO NOT WAIT, because these replacement schemes have a shelf life. For example, the Bowie scheme lasted only a few months, and was then ended.

31. Deano says:

Im glad they have also addressed the issue with the spine on the book. Several of my pages were stuck together and then fell apart from the spine when trying to open them. I was going to live with it given Amazon had sold out, but more copies became available so I managed to get a replacement from them.

On another note, I do get increasingly frustrated that most of the packaging solutions for deluxe sets involve a cardboard slip-in sleeve for the CDs. These are guaranteed to scratch/mark the CDs after a few plays, when I want to enjoy them and keep them mint.

I care for the environment, but CDs are also a lifetime investment for me (or until the next superdeluxe comes along!), so please give me a packaging solution that protects this!

• EPM says:

So right you are, DEANO, a fresh-out-of-the-box optical disc should not look like something you picked up second-hand in a pawn shop.

Something I’ve wondered about for a long time is do collectors of CD, DVD and Blu-ray etc. look at the play side of their discs after purchase? I do, and I have a friend who does. Some of you might be shocked at the state of many discs in your collections.

Yes, I know someone’s bound to say that these discs will play and that a few scuffs are no big deal, but I beg to differ. The surface of a disc (other than the hub) should NEVER have to slide across whatever it’s packaged in for reasons I shouldn’t think I need to explain.

Many will disagree, but I am and will remain, a fan of the Jewel Box. These can in most cases be replaced if damaged, and are generally the BEST protection for its contents. When the artwork IS the container, it becomes a liability.

I have had to invest in thousands of plastic resealable sleeves to protect my non-Jewel Boxed titles, including video media manufactured with paper packaging. And I suspect these sleeves will not outlast what they’re meant to protect.

My Super Deluxe copy of A-ha’s “Hunting High and Low” contains discs so scuffed and marred by the less-than-intelligently engineered “pockets” which hold them that I contacted WEA for replacements. No-one at Warners responded.

Some of my Edsel Deacon Blue reissues are so scuffed that I ultimately purchased four copies of “Raintown” before I got hold of one that looked unused. I despise Edsel’s book style reissues. I have encountered problems with their Everything But The Girl, Aztec Camera, Bananarama and Jesus Jones issues also, amongst others. I’m afraid even to open some of them. I am sick of scraping glue from the edge of the discs when removed from these paper-sleeve pages.

Not Edsel this time, but I had to remove glue from one of my Tom Bailey “Science Fiction” discs.

The likelihood that these discs will play even when scuffed is beside the point. If ever my collection is put up for sale, I deserve to be able to list these pieces as “mint condition”.

When a record label persists in issuing new product that appears or performs no different than used or defective, it’s time for a clarion call for reform and revisitation of the finer points of “quality control”.

Finally, not sure I’m buying Universal’s “hand-packing” narrative. If this IS the case, flip those affected discs over and look for the visible tell-tale signs of such an occurrance.

• Kauwgompie says:

You are correct, the paper packaging of the Edsel Everything But The Girl, Bananarama and Jesus Jones reissues were atrocious. It’s practically impossible to remove the discs without scratching them. And if you get them out, there may be residue on the disc that is impossible to remove without scratching it more. Whoever thought that packaging up should be fired.
        Also, don’t forget the “Darkside Of The Moon” immersion box. I recently bought that from Amazon UK as they had it on sale for $85 (it was 65 pounds including shipping to the USA). I received the sealed box with 2 discs heavily scratched/marked. I contacted Amazon UK and they send me a new box (without having to return the worthless first box) and again two of the discs came lose and were scratched. Between the old box and the new box I have put all the discs together and “manufactured” one box with the least amount of scratched discs. 3 discs are fine and one disc is still scratched. I don’t know what to do anymore, call Amazon UK to send me a 3rd box? The discs that is a scratched now is disc 1 which is the least important one. It plays fine but not happy!!!

• EPM says:

I feel you, KAUWGOMPIE. I have too many stories such as ours regarding optical media scuffed and marred by poorly designed packages. Sorry you’ve also experienced this.

It was said here once already, but it does seem as if civilisation is coming undone and the Human race is regressing. We cannot correctly build, manufacture nor operate anything these days.

• John 79 says:

I Totally agree with you EPM, when I received my Dead or Alive SBB CD& DVD Boxset the discs looked second hand, everything I buy I try and keep Mint, just incase I want to sell later on but when they send them out in a scratched condition,it’s totally unacceptable.

32. Kevin Smith says:

There was me thinking mine was fine and bang, TOTP Tainted Love it’s game over.

33. Shane says:

It is just so sad that in a market where such items are quite expensive and take a long time to produce, they are delivered with so many faults. I just don’t get it.
    But this is not just in the music business. I see it everywhere. Also it seems like suddenly people have so much more money to spend that they can afford a new phone every year because a) the old one died or 2) there is a new version out.
    Where will we end?

But hey, some people here made the most hilarious comments so let’s look at that being the silver lining.

34. Paul E. says:

Did EVERY “hand-packer” touch the exact same spot and/or the BBC data area on EVERY DVD? What consistency…and, what odds!

What team of Muppets will pack the repressed discs? Hoping it’s not the ones in DVD authoring/mastering OR even worse, the ones in Quality Control.

35. a cellmate says:

i work in the dvd/blu-ray business. fingerprints and scratches are typically the only problems discs suffer from hand packing. maybe a little working in extreme cases depending on the packaging/disc holders. i don’t have my set yet, it’s supposed to arrive today, but to me the problems seem more like DVD mastering or manufacturing errors.

most box sets / special packaging releases are hand packed, whether it’s music or a movie.

36. Jason Schafer says:

They have a solution…OK…
    That doesn’t really excuse management’s comment to “move along”…This smacks of condescension that Paul has indicated was an issue in the past. A very poor choice of words.
    Is this a hand-packing issue or a poor design issue? What’s the truth? And what IS a “juddering” DVD? And record labels wonder why people don’t want to plunk down for massive box sets like this, the Dead or Alive, the last Bowie, etc. If all the parts don’t work and the consumer is spending that kind of money…well…

37. CJ says:

Maybe I’m not thinking this out correctly, but wouldn’t have made more sense to blame what is the more likely issue–a coding or manufacturing issue at the pressing plant–than it is to blame “hand packing”? I’m assuming pretty much every disc we buy is hand packed, so if it was the actual problem, then we’d likely see this as a rampant issue throughout the industry. A manufacturing or coding problem is much more plausible in general, and also something that seems much more easily “forgivable” than what sounds like a load-of-bull excuse.

Mistakes happen, that’s fine. If you own up to it and attempt to make good, I’m totally cool with that. If you’re going to lie…well, I didn’t vote for that president because I don’t appreciate that as a human quality in general.

38. So...What! says:

…and don’t ask about the “signed T-shirts” which were meant to be part of the VIP package for the O2 gig….

39. Martin says:

It was never like this in the days of PolyGram lol x

40. Richard Lamming says:

Re Hand Packing – I remember about ten years ago going to a gig at Wembley Arena on Saturday evening. Going into the car park a crowd was rushing across the road to an outhouse building. I was told these were casual workers packing CDs on the night shift. Probably explains why there are greasy fingerprints all over some discs – leftovers from the midnight snacking from the nearby MacDonalds by this highly skilled workforce!

41. andrew R says:

Bit by bit going off the whole soft cell/marc almond thing
    for a defunct band their behaviour seems a little high handed
    to say the least .A lot of people have spent at least £70 .They are customers
    Take£70 off a customer anywhere else in retail and try telling them to move along
    if there is a fault .You are more likely to have your nose “moved” permanently

• Martin says:

They have addressed the issue quickly enough for me. Just a quick email and a book and DVD will be on the way.

• Darren Briscoe says:

I guess they have to fill their pension pots before too long. Really milking it though with the “last ever” ( we will see!) Concert…soon to be available on DVD/ Blu-ray / CD/ vinyl box set…..etc. I guess all those who have already pre-ordered and paid are hoping Almond doesn’t die before the night!
      Used to be a huge fan but this has left a bad taste in my mouth and so have cancelled my box set order here in the USA

42. Loving You....Hating Me says:

I get the feeling from reading the comments left here that unless people hear that someone has paid for this error by getting the sack or “hung, drawn and quartered” they wont be happy and no explanation will be good enough or suffice.

It appears that within 48 hours or so of having been made aware of the problem Universal Music have a) apologised b) given a plausible reason (individuals choice to believe/accept this or not) and c) offered to mail out to people effected a replacement disc.

What more do people want..!!!???

By all means moan when record companies bury their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge and rectify a problem. Or explain what the issue was.

But this is not the case with Universal Music.

By the way…I don’t work for Universal Music..!

The only problem I have is the “don’t post on social media” and “move on please”. Fixing a problem doesn’t mean you get to tell people what to do or to be so patronising.

• Darren Briscoe says:

Spot on!!! Well said Paul!

• Heraldo says:

I can see your point if they were ignoring the issues and asking people to do these things, but it’s a standard expectation/ exchange in PR sense to address the problem and then hope that it will quell the noise.
        Feels a bit harsh to call it patronising especially as it’s framed as a reasonable request.

• Chris Squires says:

“please do not post any further issues on social media.”

hang on a mo’. So ostensibly what they are saying is “if you find anything else wrong with the set, such as a dodgy CD 06, please keep quiet about it”….

I can understand “don’t harp on about the DVD we get it, we have fixed it”. But that IS NOT what they are saying. Further issues and known issues are not the same thing.

And it isn’t even the drilling down to what the words mean with “further issues” it’s the really amateur / adolescent way the whole thing is framed.

It’s like talking to my 20 year old daughter…even if she is doing what you ask and on the surface agreeing with the issue, you still get the nagging, subtle feeling that she is thinking “F*** you for daring to bring it up”

I might be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt if Chris Smith – manager of Dave Ball and therefore co-manager of Soft Cell – hadn’t been so obnoxious on the SDE Facebook page back in April.

Someone suggested a blu-ray rather than a DVD in the box and the response was “you seem to think you know everything, but in fact you know nothing. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it, ditto the show, fortunately most disagree with you judging by ticket sales.” He later said in response to another comment “these fools will want 5.1 next. Like Soft Cell are that kind of band”. So they you go… we are ‘fools’.

• Loving You....Hating Me says:

I don’t disagree with that Paul…telling people to “move on please” via social media is not the brightest of moves..!

43. blink says:

Sounds like a lame and lazy excuse. You would have to mishandle the DVD a lot for this to be an issue, and then the problem would be random, mot always the same bits not working.

As to not discussing things on social media, good luck with that… I also am grateful that they are, I do not necessarily buy each set right away or play each disc (esp DVDs) right away, so if everyone would just contact the manufacturer or retailer, I would not even know what set to avoid / what discs to check for issues and get replaced.

I know it limits their financial impact, but it is bad customer service / experience to keep this quiet. How about a mandatory recall info like we have for cars instead…

• Loving You....Hating Me says:

“How about a mandatory recall info like we have for cars instead…”…hahaha…in the words of John McEnroe…..”you cannot be serious..?”

• blink says:

Not really, but I cannot take their reaction of ‘don’t talk about it to anyone but us’ serious either.

I take mine as seriously as I take theirs (not at all), but if they want to push in that direction, mine is the direction I would be pushing back in as a counter ;)

• Loving You....Hating Me says:

I don’t disagree with you there…that reaction by whoever posted that is totally wrong and out of order…but I am presuming that it must be hard sometimes for individuals not to react in that way if they feel the criticism and reaction to what may well be a totally and very unfortunate mistake is “over the top” when they have reacted so quickly to try and make this right for everyone effected…

44. Andrew b in the place to b says:

What a load of old bollocks. Hand picked my arse. Heard it all now. What next? disc damage from mouse farts in the packing house?

45. Paul Kent says:

Hand packers are notoriously difficult. They staged a walkout during the packing of the Flowers In The Dirt SDE, causing some tracks to become download only. Don’t think it caused any problems, though.

46. Mathew Lauren says:

So, I have 6 email addresses to UMe, and none of them work properly. UMe are arrogant. “Hand-packing” DOES NOT cause play-back (authoring issues) disc-issues, unless the disc is “hand-packed” next to a very powerful magnet – IN THE BOX!

Fan-sites (w/cool administrators) & UMe UK got me to UMe reps (eventually) concerning my UMe issue. UMe REFUSED to fix a recent “hand-packing” issue concerning the very, fine quality G ‘n R colour lithos — something I’d (normally) leave alone, as I grab the surround and RM 2.0 discs, and stow these oversized SDEs, safely in a drawer. I opened the “extras” folder in this case, accidentally, looking for the 5.1 Blu.

UMe (10 days after my first attempts to reach them), finally, responded and REFUSED to replace the litho (mentioned earlier). THEY damaged it via “hand-packing” and regardless of the photos I sent showing the damage incurred by “hand-packing” those lithos

(ftr, other stuff was bent, as well, but the litho was permanently damaged!),

“they” REQUESTED I deal w/the RETAILER (re: a Publisher/Manufacturer issue). Hmm. UMe requested I have the whole SDE boxset replaced by the RETAILER, as opposed to UMe! They, also, never even responded to my offer to drive 10 minutes to one of MANY Universal offices here in L.A. to have my (ONE) “hand-packed” and damaged litho replaced. I live where “Appetite for Destruction” was recorded 3+ decades ago. I tried to help them, help me and was “brushed-off.” Hmm, again.

…and I kid you not, UMe sent a f/u email (that afternoon) requesting I rate their service! Ha!

My, how times have changed.

In conclusion, had any of MY favourite musicians/bands told me to “move on,” I’d kindly respond with a “F/O!” — and a$k for a complete refund.

Shame. Classless acts and statements in this case above, by both Soft Cell and UMe!

47. Shane says:

I don’t recall any (or many) people adding that the DVDs were scratched and thought that could be the reason. They are trying to make that excuse happen. That is so fetch.

48. Andy B says:

Received my copy yesterday and I have had the same problems as most people. The reason given seems a strange one. Nevertheless UMC should be commended for addressing the issue so speedily. Email sent.

49. Cindy says:

“Don’t post further issues on social media.” A) If the issues that are being remedied weren’t discussed on social media, people would be stuck with damaged goods B) Is this an admission that they know about “further issues” that haven’t come to light yet? Looks like they might be in the dark ages about how customer service works these days and the megaphone effect of social media.

50. Tony O says:

hand picking could mean that the dvd’s got marked when they were placed into the box set, a tiny proportion of those would have been marked and an even smaller proportion would have actually had a problem in playback. They would have been better off telling the truth and explaining that an issue had occurred in production otherwise it appears that they think their customers are easily led at best

51. JJK says:

They also made a mistake with the latest Stones Box set. They did not include the card to download songs. I had to contact the supplier, who contacted UM. They sent a link.

52. CW says:

be careful when packing all those Curiosity sets Paul – we dont want no malfunctions ;-)

53. Lazysunday says:

Hand packed…..suppose that explains why most of my CDs are scratched/marked.

54. Chris Squires says:

It’s funny in this modern world of PR and “fake news” the nobody seems capable of saying “Mea Culpa”. How can it make sense to these people when a simple apology would suffice, an admission of a cock-up would be accepted, that they would prefer to come up with a convoluted excuse, we saw it with the Heroes box set also.

I create about 2,000 – 3,000 CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays a year. All of them hand packed by me into normal Amaray cases. Not had one dud disc in the 16 years I have been doing this.

The construction of a DVD is such that if you do bend it too much you can cause the dye layer to distort, so if you have a centre hub that is too big it could possibly cause issues as you bend the edge of the disc on removal. But a company like Universal would have millions of these things created every year. The production department would use the same specs every single time.

Their “let’s move on” comment is an odd one. Whilst the internet can dwell on problems to a level of bullying as everyone piles on it also smacks of “Nothing to see here, not our fault guv”.

Glad it’s going to be fixed for free, but no real apology.

An odd one this.

55. Peter Muscutt says:

Imagine a conspiracy unearthed about a vengeful member of the Soft Cell tour team – a roadie or some such member of staff, who was wronged by one of the group – perhaps Marc failed to bid him “good morning” one day or put brown sauce on his sausage bap instead of ketchup back in ’81. Many years later, now working as a disc hand-packer, he seeks his revenge by deliberately sabotaging the DVD disc of a multi-disc box-set by his former employers with explosive consequences.

Out in cinemas soon, “THE HAND PACKERS”. Starring Jonathan Rhys-Meyer as Jimmy Shizzle (aka The Hand Packer), Paul Bettany as the Universal Music Spokesman and Marc Almond and Dave Ball as themselves. Rated R.

56. Kauwgompie says:

Hand-packing issue? Nonsense. Sounds more like someone doesn’t want to own up that they screwed up their part of the production. Whatever they want to call it, I’m glad we’re getting fixed DVD’s. They did handle it rather quickly (unlike the Bowie “A New Career” box issue) so kudos for that.

57. Lee Realgone says:

Did a hand packing issue cause volume anomalies in the Bowie ANCIANT box set?

58. RJS says:

What a bullshit excuse! They must have used a different team of hand packers to pack the CDs.

59. Annabel Lecter says:

This is a positive outcome to our shared experience with the DVD. It’s a more prompt label response/solution than the one encountered with the 2017 Heroes album in the ANCIANT box set.

60. Rare Glam says:

Glad they have made haste to replace the DVD, so am relieved about that. The book in my set is fine, not sure what the spine problem is, if it’s damaged maybe that is a hand packing problem, the DVD can’t be!

61. Tim-Meh says:

Goddamn hand packers! How dare they!!

62. David B says:

Seems a bit odd that hand packing would cause the same parts of the DVDs to be faulty (i.e the BBC bits). Why can’t they just say “fair cop, we screwed up we’ll issue replacements.” Whatever happened to people admitting they made a mistake.

• MR PAUL WIDDOWS says:

I AGREE THE BBC SECTION WOULDNT PLAY ON MY COPY EITHER. THERE WHERE NO MARKS ETC ON THE DISC SO IT IS DEFINATELY A MANUFACTURE PROBLEM. UNLESS WHAT THEY MEAN IS SOMEONE ACCIDENTLY PUT THE FAULTY DISCS IN THE BOX SETS INSTEAD OF THE BIN WHEN PACKING!

• I’ve yet to find the time to check my copy. To be honest, you’d think that they would test a batch of the discs prior to shipping. I just hope the ‘Say Hello, Wave Goodbye £250 box set I’ve ordered doesn’t have any problems with it.